- Text Size +
Day Six

Kevin and Howie came for a visit to our room but of course AJ couldn't jump up and down to receive them. We gathered around his bed and started talking, hoping that our noise would distract him and wake him up.

We were so lousy at being loud. That had always been Nick and AJ's department. I could get noisy but only if I changed into the Frick and Frack mode. Frack's not here so that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

"I don't believe this. How could we be AJ? No one could be him, he is just impossible." Howie cried. Kevin and I chuckled. Ain't that the truth?

"Hey, you two laughed, I must have done something right." Howie joked.

"Shouldn't it be me lying there and him trying to get me up?" I asked.

"No one should be there Brian. We should all be somewhere better, like in the studio recording or something. Not here." Kevin replied.

I wanted to add something stupid, you know, lighten up the atmosphere a bit, but I didn't get the chance when Aaron came in. My heart almost skipped a bit. He was beginning to look uncannily identical to Nick. I thought for a second there, it was Nick coming in to tell us that he's okay.

"Hey AC, when did you get here?" Kevin asked as he motioned for the kid to come closer.

"Just flown down this morning. Mom didn't let Carl let me talk to him about cutting the tour short." Aaron said, referring to his manager.

"It's for the best. There's nothing much to see anyway." I said.

"Did you see Nick?" Howie asked.

"No. Mom didn't let me see him. Said he's still weak. I just don't get it. He’s my brother, I should see him." Aaron moaned. I knew that feeling.

"Come on kid, join us, we're talking to AJ today." I said.

"Yeah? Can I talk to him?"

"Sure, go ahead." Good luck kiddo. Hope you nail it better than we do.

Aaron took AJ's hand and squeezed it gently. His eyes automatically welled up in tears. His chin was trembling and from that corner, he looked exactly like Nick.

"Hey AJ, it’s me, Aaron. Yeah, I've flown down here specially to see you guys. I've always wanted to try a stunt like that. You know, get in a situation where your bus crashed and exploded and you actually got out alive. You guys rock man."

It was funny, yes. He did it better than all three of us combined. But that didn't stop the tears from his eyes to flow.

"I heard that you were with Nick down that sewer. I heard about your little attempt to save Brian and giving up your lives. I'm just glad that you fought to survive instead. I know if it was just Nick, he would have long gave up. He wouldn't be here if it weren't for you."

The sobbing had turned into a full blown cry. Kevin reached out to him and was rubbing his back. I could have done something too but my head was just not in the mood.

"Just...just wake up all right. We all need you here. We need you bugging Nick with your jokes, maybe then, he will wake up too."

ררררר

"Nick? Where are we going?" AJ asked as he followed the young blonde.

"To the sewer silly. We do want to make it home right?" Nick replied with a smile.

"How come you're not hurting anymore? Damn boy, you look just fine." AJ laughed.

"So do you AJ, so do you." Nick laughed.

"Oh yeah, I am. Funny, I thought I was a goner. My shoulder doesn’t even hurt anymore!"

"We will be all right. But we have to get to the sewer." Nick said urgency in his voice.

"Let's run for it then." AJ suggested.

"No, we have to walk." Nick replied.

"But that will just slow us down." AJ protested.

"No, it will make it faster. Trust me." Nick smiled.

AJ listened and true enough, they arrived at the sewer in no time. He noticed that his legs weren't even tired.

"Are you coming AJ?" Nick asked when he saw him still standing in front of the sewer.

"Yeah, I'm coming." AJ replied.

"We have to move quickly, we don't have much time left." Nick urged him.

"Hey, I'm not the one who suggested that we walk." AJ grumbled.

"There's no need to run AJ. We will walk." Nick smiled.

AJ didn't argue and followed as he turned to the first corner. He saw the ladder and everything came back.

"Nicky? We've been here before right? I've climbed that ladder. You were supposed to be waiting down here for help. You're supposed to be sick!" AJ cried.

"One of us has to climb up." Nick replied, ignoring AJ's question.

Just wake up all right. We all need you here!

"Hey, isn't that AC?" AJ asked. "Where is he? How come I can hear him?"

"You have to climb up AJ. Someone needs to cheer my brother up." Nick smiled.

"We will both climb up Nick. You're strong enough." AJ protested.

"No. I am sick. But I will wait for help." Nick replied as he sank down into the cold water, his breathing shallow and hard.

"Okay buddy, just wait for me all right. I will get help. Don't die on me!" AJ cried as he climbed up the stairs.

"I hope the lid doesn't get stuck like the first time."

ררררר

Something happened.

AJ squeezed Aaron's hand. He could feel it. He blinked. Once. Twice. He wasn't imagining it.

"Oh God!" Aaron cried.

"What is it AC?" Brian asked.

"He just squeezed my hand!" Aaron cried.

He felt it again. Harder this time.

ררררר

AJ stirred. His head was feeling heavy but he fought it. He knew he had to wake up. He forced his heavy eyelids to open. Everything was blurry but he began to take notice of the voices surrounding him.

"He's waking up!"

"Should we get the doctor?"

"AJ? Can you hear us?"

AJ fluttered his eyelids a few more times, trying to adjust to the surroundings. He wasn't up at the highway. But Brian, Howie and Kevin were there with him. Aaron was there to.

"Hi guys. Wassup?" AJ croaked.

"He's back all right." Brian smiled.

"Hey AC, what were you doing in the sewer?" AJ asked.

"I take that back." Brian said. AJ didn't understand him.

"I wasn't in the sewer AJ. I just came to the hospital to see how you're doing." Aaron smiled.

"But I heard you loud and clear. You called for me to come back." AJ replied.

"Yeah? But I said those things right here Bone. You were still asleep. I think you need more of it too. Sorry we woke you up too soon." Aaron smirked.

That smirk. Just like Nick's. That was like his trademark. Send girls screaming and crying for him. Worked all the time.

"Nick! I have to get to Nick." AJ cried all of a sudden.

"No one is allowed to see him AJ. He's still weak." Howie said.

"No, you don't understand, we have to get back to him. He's waiting for us." AJ begged.

"But we can't AJ; we don't even know where they put him." Kevin said.

"I do." Aaron said.

"Great! We need to get there, now!" AJ cried.

"You're still too weak to move AJ." Howie said.

"Then Kevin will help me…. Anyone... Just bring me there. We have to be there. He's waiting. Please."

Kevin looked at his brother. No one had ever managed to say No to him when he was stubborn.

"Okay, let's go."