- Text Size +
Chapter 23

Nick was all that Dr. Monroe had described him to be. In fact, he looked worse. Brian almost lost his footing at the sight of Nick.

"Quick, the nurse might be here any minute." Kevin whispered.

AJ went to the bed and took Nick's right hand. The boys gathered around. Brian, who was on the other side of the bed, held his left hand.

"I hope you know what you're doing Bone." Howie said.

"I hope so too." AJ replied.

He took a deep breath let it out slowly. He closed his eyes and smiled. "Come on Nicky boy, time to climb up the sewer. We're waiting."

ררררר

Nick opened up his eyes and squinted at the blinding light that was invading the tunnel. The ladder seemed to shrink and the lid came nearer and nearer until it was just within his reach. He saw two hands reaching out to him.

"Come on Nicky boy, time to climb up the sewer. We're waiting."

"About time!" Nick cried and rolled his eyes.

ררררר

Brian saw Nick's eyes moving from underneath the eyelids and within seconds, they flew open. The grip on his hand tightened. Nick had squeezed it. It was the most wonderful feeling. Nick had woken up.

"Hey." He said weakly.

"Hey you." Kevin said.

"Glad I was on time." AJ smiled.

"Welcome back Frack." Brian cried.

"We missed you Nicky." Howie chuckled.

"Hey buddy, glad you made it." Aaron added.

"Oh man, I'm truly here aren't I?" Nick whispered.

"Yes you are!"

ררררר

2 weeks later.

Kevin, Howie, AJ and I waited patiently for Nick to finish his routine check up. Unlike the four of us, he was still stuck in the hospital, mending the broken ribs. Howie had been using the crutches and he slowed us down all the time. He got picked on by AJ 24/7.

Kevin had to undergo a lot of surgeries for his arm but he was taking it very well. He was more disturbed by the scars on his face than anything else. He was meeting a skin doctor next week.

Me? My headache is still here but it didn't hurt like before. Give it another week and it will be gone for good. What really bugged me was the fact that I had to be extra careful when I washed my hair. A little itch at the back and I'd go all crazy.

We just had our first ever press conference since the accident. It turns out that the whole world was practically mourning for our deaths about three weeks ago. We got to see the footage and it was just hilarious. There we were struggling for our lives and we were already being mourned.

The press weren't happy that Nick wasn't there. We assured them that he was still alive and kicking and far from dead. Well, the kicking part was exaggerated a bit, okay, a lot. But I don't know why they were so worked up by it. This only meant that we were going to have another press conference when Nick got better. They get more to publish right?

"Hey Nicky, there you are! How did the check up go?" Kevin asked as the nurse wheeled him into the room. He looked tired and pale.

"They made me do all these exercises. It's just cruel." Nick complained.

"Don't be such a baby." AJ said.

"Shut up Bone." Nick retorted.

"Come on Mr. Carter; let's get you on the bed." The nurse said.

"That's okay Laura, I'll get the boys to help me. Thank you so much." Nick smiled at the nurse. She was beautiful and young. Hey, I've got eyes; don't expect me to close them every time a gorgeous girl passes my way.

The nurse nodded and left.

"Damn Frack, why did you do that? She's so gorgeous." I teased him.

"That's because he's a blonde. And dumb." AJ joked. I didn't like it. I'm half blonde myself and I ain't half dumb.

"I'm feeling so sick, I have no desire." Nick muttered.

"Oh my God! That's a first!" Howie laughed.

"Shut up all right. Just help me get to bed."

Kevin offered his assistance and within seconds, Nick was already safe on the bed.

"You know, I was thinking, maybe after we're all fit enough, we could go on a vacation together. Just the five of us." Kevin said.

"Oh yeah? Where to?" I asked.

"Did you guys realize that none of us got to bring back our bags in the end?" Kevin asked.

"Oh yeah...they went through our stuff and then we never got to pack it back again did we? We just left everything behind." Howie said, referring to the bad guys.

"Except for Brian. He took home the cell phone." AJ pointed out.

"It's a gift from Leighanne. For the success of Black and Blue. I can't leave it behind." I explained. Hello? Cell phone. Expensive stuff. Can't just leave it behind.

"Hey Kev, you actually left the tape behind? The one from your camcorder?" Nick asked.

"Yeah. I forgot totally about it. We left everything behind in the hurry." Kevin replied.

"Wait. What's this got to do with my question? I asked where should we go for our vacation?" I said.

Kevin had a weird smile on his face. For the first time, I could actually read the look on his expressionless face.

"Oh no, you're not gonna make us go back there just to get all that stuff. Forget it Kev, I ain't going." I said. He laughed at my face. What's so funny?

"I was just pulling your leg, Bri!"

Ohh, I see. Heh, that's still not funny.

Anyway, I am glad that everyone is back to their usual self. I never thought I would say this but I'm thankful for AJ's blunt, corky remarks. Howie's peace maker manners. Kevin's bossy, responsible adult attitude. Nick's unpredictable pranks. I was actually looking forward to all of it. I realized that all these things, makes the Backstreet Boys. That's what keeps our pride alive.

THE END

Copyright 2001-04 mersey © All Rights Reserved