- Text Size +

Chapter Four

When the bus started swaying uncontrollably, Nick didn't even care to wake up. It had happen before, especially on uneven roads. But when it felt like the bus had hit something and he got the feeling that it was nose diving, Nick woke up alarmed. He felt himself being dragged down. He grabbed the handle on the side of the bunk but lost his grip when the bus suddenly shook dangerously. Nick crashed on his stomach first and ignored the burning pain that was searing his body apart. He had to get to his brothers.

"Brian!" Nick screamed, trying to pull himself up but all he heard was screaming. He heard AJ and Kevin, shouting something. What the hell happened?

"Kevin! What's going on?" Nick screamed, only to be muffled by the sound of another crash. He hit his head on the edge of the bunk and blacked out. I'm dead, Nick thought.

ררררר

When I woke up the pain in my head woke up too. And I thought that you feel nothing when you're dead. There was smoke and dust everywhere. I coughed and my head throbbed heavily. I looked around and found myself still on the wrecked bus. The Angels must have been too busy to get me. I turned to my left and saw Joe crushed to his seat. It nauseated me. Joe is dead! Which means, I’m not?

I saw the fourth man slumped on one of the seats, his neck turned in an awkward angle. Break a neck. Yeah, right. I quickly got up (which wasn't an easy feat) and found Kevin and AJ sprawled next to each other. Howie was crumpled on the side.

"Howie, get up!" I shouted, slapping his face lightly. It didn't take me too long before he woke up. Howie has always been a morning person.

"Oh God, that hurts!" Howie cried.

"You okay man?" I asked.

"I think so." Howie got up and inspected himself. Ironically, a few scratches and pieces of broken glass, most probably from the mugs that we had left on the table, pierced his body. Nothing that he couldn't handle.

I heard Kevin move and went up to him. He had cuts and bruises on his face, it was full of blood. "Kevin, oh God, you look bad."

"My face hurts." Kevin groaned.

"How could you be bleeding this much?" I asked, shocked. It was just minor bruises after all.

"It's not Kev's." Howie said, next to AJ. Part of his shirt was torn off, revealing the back of his right shoulder, skin literally torn off, raw skin and blood.

"Oh no…" Kevin quickly grabbed a kitchen towel and covered the wound with it.

"Get the first aid kit, quick!" Howie got up and came back with the box. "Get the gauze!"

While Kevin was attending to AJ, who was still unconscious, I remembered Nick.

"Oh no, Nick!" I rushed up to the back and found him slumped on the side of the bunk, bleeding on his forehead.

"Nick, wake up! Please! Wake up!" I screamed. Nick coughed. I thanked God.

"Come on Frack, we've got to get out of here." Nick was still in a daze. I didn't wait for him and pulled him out of the bunk. Nick gave out a yell and it suddenly occurred to me that he might be hurt.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"A little… Wait, I can get up on my own." Nick definitely was struggling but he didn't look like he was hurt, other than the head. Maybe that was it; the dizziness was slowing him down. Just like me.

When we got back to the front, AJ had already woken up although in a daze. Kevin had done a great job with the bandage. He tossed AJ a sweater to keep him warm.

"You guys smell that?" Nick asked suddenly.

"What?" I asked.

"Gasoline." Kevin said.

"This bus is gonna blow up, we have to get out of here." Howie said as he appeared with our backpacks, where we kept our personal belongings, away from the band's luggage. "We're in a clearing, somewhere in the woods and winter is coming. It's already six, we need to get moving."

I don't know how Howie did it but I had new found respect for the guy.

"Can you get up AJ?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah." AJ said, struggling to get on his feet. "I'm scarred for life."

"Hey, have you taken a look at my face lately?" Kevin asked. I managed a smile, which was short-lived.

"We've got a problem." Howie said as a line creased his forehead.

"What?" We asked in unison.

"The door is on the ground, we're trapped."