- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Nick knew that their lives were in danger; he knew that they had to get out of there before the bad guys found them; he knew that if he didn't, he would get his brothers in trouble too. But part of him wanted to stay. Part of him wanted to go back to Brian and check if his best friend was still alive. To him, they were going back on their promise. They were supposed to stick together through thick and thin no matter what. Now they are about to leave one of their brothers behind. Betrayal is a cruel thing.

Part of him listened as Howie and Kevin gave their instructions, part of him was aware that danger is lurking in every hidden corner of the forest and should he falter back, it would consume him whole. But another part of him was envisioning Brian in the hole, still and bleeding to death.

He tried to keep up with his brothers, not knowing where they were heading and not caring. He had decided he would let the others worry about that. He didn't hear anyone chasing them at the back, maybe the bad guys were too wrapped up in their argument, they really didn't take notice of their escape.

The pain in his stomach was rebelling against his decision to fasten up his pace. It felt like sharp pins poking him from the inside, forcing its way out through his skin. He knew he was burning up, had been since they left that morning, and he knew that he wasn't well, but denial was an easy game for him. Denial was the key to hoping that Brian wasn't dead too.