- Text Size +

Chapter Eight

They had been running and walking for more than an hour and AJ was truly tired. He was sure the others were too, judging by how slow they were walking. As usual, he and Nick were struggling to keep up at the back, while Howie and Kevin directed their way. AJ knew that Nick was still distraught over Brian. He had been too, but showing emotions at a time like this will not help them. He had always been the cheery one, the one who lights up other people's bad days, he tended to stay that way. At least by doing that, he could push ugly images of Brian sprawled and bleeding in a pit away to the back of his mind.

"Guys, can we rest? I can't go any further." Nick called at the back. He kept on stumbling and AJ had to stop and wait for him. It's not like AJ minded at all, he appreciated the occasional stops.

AJ's heart went out to him. He sounded genuinely scared. He might be all of 21, but he is still the baby of this group. Always will be no matter how old he gets.

"I really need to change this." AJ said, referring to his bandage. "Also, Nick's getting pale. He looks like shit ran over twice."

"I'm too tired for this." Nick sighed, giving up on AJ. Howie secretly thought that he would not know what to do without AJ, he is the one who keeps everything light and funny when things get tough and rough.

"Just a few minutes more, I can't find a clearing for us to rest. This place is too wet and slippery." Kevin said.

None of them disagreed although they were dead tired. AJ didn't know how long he would last with the pain growing in his shoulder. It felt as if it mutated itself. Then he felt guilty after remembering Brian. He wasn't that bad off after all.

He noticed that Nick had been stumbling too often. It's like he couldn't walk a straight line anymore. AJ had to pull him up with his left hand to keep him moving. But when Nick stumbled again and started crying, he panicked. Nick never lost control like that. It had been a long time since he last saw Nick cry. He seldom cries anymore, preferring to keep his emotions to himself. But now, he was down on his knees and sobbing like a child, and AJ suddenly froze. He didn't know what to do.

"What's wrong Nick?" AJ asked. He was sincere and wasn't joking this time.

"Nick, are you all right?" Kevin asked as he went back to get them.

"If we stop asking, maybe he will answer us." Howie said.

"Hey, funny, that's supposed to be my job." AJ sounded hurtful.

"What's wrong Nick?" Kevin asked, squatting next to him. "Is your stomach hurting again?"

"I can't go on! It hurts too much...” Nick cried, still hugging himself.

"Okay, I found a clearing out there; we'll help you walk okay?" Nick nodded. Kevin lent his shoulder for support and the gang walked on. Nick still had his left hand clutching his stomach. Nobody knew how much pain he had to endure.

Kevin felt guilty for pulling Nick out of the bus even when the young man had protested against it. Maybe they did hurt him in the process?

True to his words, Kevin got them to the clearing in five minutes. There were bushes surrounding them so they could hide themselves well.

"Here, lie down, let me take a look at it." Kevin said. Nick didn't argue. He looked spaced out, as if he was too scared to move.

"Where does it hurt?" Kevin asked. AJ sat next to him, curious about his brother. Nick showed the right side of his abdomen.

Kevin pulled his shirt up and was shocked at the discovery. Nick had black and blue bruises going up the right side of his ribs. It looked swollen. AJ thought it was the first time Nick had seen the bruise himself, because he looked just as shocked.

"Oh no, that doesn't look good. What's wrong with me Kev?"

"I think you broke some ribs."