- Text Size +
15






Kevin rolled his window down and let the soft hot breeze hit the side of his face as he drove away from Chris’s Diner. The girls who had asked for their autographs were waving and jumping as if that would make them turn around and stay longer. He had to admit that he was kind of shocked that they had found fans all the way out in the Kentucky boonies.



He hesitated briefly allowing himself to go back to thoughts of his mother and how she was doing today. He hated when he did that, when he would be in the middle of something and then suddenly be attacked by what he liked to call a ‘low’ moment. It was fine when other’s had them but not him.



When it came to his friend’s low moments, Kevin liked to think he was a master. Always there to lend a hand or an ear, whatever was needed at that moment. He never allowed himself the same courtesy though, always trying to push his sad thoughts down in the recesses of his mind. Some days were easier then others but today was proving a hard day for that. He wasn’t even sure why suddenly he felt melancholy.



“Kevin, I’m like melting here, can we put the air on please?”



“Fresh air does a body good Nick.”



“Yeah but not when it’s SO hot that bugs are spontaneously combusting outside.”



“God exaggerate much?”



“Me? Nah” Kevin laughed as he closed his window, “You know there isn’t any air conditioning outside once we get back to our fishing hole.”



“Yeah but until then a guy can be comfortable right?”



“I guess so.”



“Were you as surprised as I was to see fans out there?”



“Uh yeah you can say that.”



“I just did say that Kevin.”



Kevin placed his hand on Nick’s shoulder and squeezed tightly, “I’m proud of you Nick.”



His young friend seemed surprised and taken off guard, “Why?”



“I just am.”



“Oookay, well I’m proud of you too?” Nick said it like a question which once again had Kevin cracking up. Trying to read Nick was a chore but it was just plain funny watching Nick trying to read anyone else.



“I wasn’t fishing for a compliment Nick; I just felt the need to tell you that, that’s all.”



“Oh…okay, well thanks then.” He smiled and adjusted his sunglasses, leaning his head against the seat and slouching his body forward.



“Now don’t fall asleep on me little man.”



“But now my stomach is all full, it’s naptime daddy.”



“Did I ever tell you about the time my father took me and my brothers to see the world’s biggest toaster?”



Nick moved his sunglasses off exposing one eye, “Come again?”



“Yes Kentucky is home to the world’s biggest toaster.”



“Really? Does it also have the world’s biggest bread because if not the toaster would be useless…unless it had the world’s biggest Pop Tarts!”



“Anyway…one summer day when I was about ten maybe? The three of us were bored and fighting so my father in order to make us stop arguing randomly told us to get into the car, he had something ‘magical’ to show us.”



Kevin sighed and placed his own sunglasses on his face now to shield him from the glare.



“He wouldn’t tell us what we were looking for at all, the entire trek we took turns guessing about what it could be.”



“What did you think it was?”



“I thought we were going to visit a Leprechaun.”



That had Nick sit up straight in his seat and start laughing, “Are you freaking kidding me? Kevin that is AWESOME!”



“I was only ten.”



“Still a Leprechaun? That’s priceless.”



“Yeah that’s what my brothers thought too. I was laughed at for years and years to come.”



“Wurya lookin fur a pot o’ gold matey?"



“What are you an Australian/Pirate Leprechaun now?” Kevin asked amused by the interesting dialect Nick went with to make fun of him.



“Aaaargh.”



“Can I finish my story now Nick?”



“Yeah I guess…I’m bored with my mocking of you.”



“Great….so,” He paused to whap Nick on the back of his head, “As I was saying…”



“You know I almost drowned today Kevin you could be a little nicer to me…so don’t pretend you’re sorry…I know you’re not….” He sang with a twangy accent trying his best to mimic Brian.”



“Well aren’t you just the king of impressions today…bad impressions I might add.”



“Hey I’ve known him all my life…he’s my cousin.”



“I’ve lost you haven’t I?”



“No, I’m sorry continue with your story, what happened next? After you cried about the whole Leprechaun thing?”



“I never cried about that, but it took us almost the entire day to get there. I would say about 3 hours. In that time we sang songs and told stories, my dad was the best story teller in the universe.”



Nick intently listened to his friend, still slouched down in his chair but watching out of the corner of his eye as Kevin fell into memories of his father. Something Nick always noticed about the man sitting next to him, whenever he would tell stories about his dad, he would turn into a kid again. Kevin was always so serious, it was hard to get him to just calm himself down enough to enjoy life but when his dad came into the conversation, the spark of child like wonder lit his eyes. It was nice and sad all at the same time.



“When we got closer to the place, my father made us all close our eyes, I guess because it was so big you could see it from just beyond the hill we were climbing at that moment. I was afraid to because well…I still kind of had it in my mind we were going to see a Leprechaun and if I closed my eyes he would have eaten me or something.”



“You know now that you told me about this info I am going to use it against you when you least expect it. Not the toaster story but the Leprechaun.”



“You do and I’ll kick your ass.”



“Aww I guess I won’t set that Leprechaun trap for you then.”



“I knew I should have let you drown.”



“Back to the toaster story, now that you have hurt my feelings again.” Nick pretended to cry and then placed his face on Kevin’s arms and pretended to blow his nose on Kevin’s sleeve.



“Get off me doofo burger…anyway Gerald forced me to close my eyes not in a nice way either, but because I knew I was in the car with three people who would never let anything happen to me I was okay. When the car finally stopped my father told us to open our eyes and I looked up in amazement at this huge toaster. It was so cool!”



“So it’s like a real toaster only bigger?”



“It’s the size of a garage actually two big slits at the top with fake toast coming out of them. The lever even works; I got to stand on the lever to make it come down.”



“Does it have like a huge plug too?”



“No, Nick although that would be cool.”



“I bet Howie would want it, he has a thing about toasters.”



“It made us stop fighting though, the rest of the day we just kind of bonded. Dad was great for things like that.”



Now that child like look was starting to fade from his eyes and the grown up Kevin returned, solemn and sad.



“You know Kevin remember when you told me you were proud of me?”



“Yeah it was only a few minutes ago, my memories not that bad Nick.”



“Well I know you are getting older and all…”



“I knew you were going to say that.”



“Of course you did, but I wanted to say I know your dad is proud of you Kevin, even though he’s not around anymore he’s probably looking down on you and is bragging to all of the other angels up in heaven, look at my son, he’s a freaking Backstreet Boy so successful, I’m so proud of him.”



Kevin didn’t really say anything in return but Nick placed his hand on Kevin’s shoulder when he saw a tear escape from under his sunglasses. When he felt Nick’s hand on his shoulder he turned to Nick and smiled, “Thanks buddy.”



“No problem, it’s the truth.”



“You know that’s one of the reasons I’m so proud of you Nick, because you’re such a good kid.”



“Yeah I’m a real good kid….pffft!” Nick rolled his eyes and once again slouched down on his chair.



“You are Nick.”



“You just said you should have let me drown.”



“You know I was just kidding right?”



“Of course I do.” But the way he answered was more than a bit unconvincing.



“Because if something ever happened to you I couldn’t handle it for real which is why we always…” Kevin drifted off but that got Nick’s attention.



“Why you always what?”



Kevin took a deep breath, “Worry Nick, that’s why we always worry about you.”



“I’d never do anything stupid Kevin.”



“You always do stupid things Nick, you act before you think a lot of the time and that sometimes scares us.”



“Do you have multiple personalities now? What’s with the us?”



“You know I’m talking about the other guys.”



“Yeah I know.”



“We love you Nick and we also know you have had a very hard year, a very hard couple of years, we worry. All of us not just me.”



Nick looked away, facing the window; he was suddenly overcome with emotion but didn’t want to show it. He hid his feelings as best he could, “You don’t have to worry…” He said now sitting up and smiling. “But you do now realize we have to find that giant toaster right?”



“I have no idea where to even look little man.”



“It’s gotta be around here someplace.”



“Kentucky is a big place Nick.”



“It’s not that big.”



“This coming from the kid who said Norway was IN Sweden.”



“Okay you realize you can never make fun of me again after the whole Leprechaun story right?”



“I was ten.”



“I was only fourteen or fifteen.”



Kevin nodded, “You’re right…I say we call a truce. No more making fun of you for geography and me for small gnome like creatures.”



“Okay deal…now can you do me a favor and shut off the air conditioning before I freeze to death?”



“But you are the one who wanted it on in the first place.”



“I did not! Look there’s like a penguin ice skating on your dashboard.” Kevin shook his head and turned the air off, once again opening his window.



“That’s much better thanks daddy Kev.”



“You’re welcome my son.”



Nick giggled and turned his head back towards the window, shielding the few tears that were dropping down his cheeks from Kevin.



Kevin glanced over at his friend with mouth open ready to say something more but stopped and instead reached over and ruffled Nick’s hair. To which Nick smiled but still didn’t allow himself to look over at his friend. There was so much he wanted to say, just talk things out but there was always that hesitation. Now would have been the perfect opportunity but he blew it like he always blew it. So instead he closed his eyes and pretended to take that nap. Thinking about how safe he felt with this person in the car just like Kevin felt with his father and brothers.

Thanks for reading! And Scarlet if you're reading this thanks for all the feedback for my old stories as well :)