- Text Size +
7






Kevin loved fishing, it was a well kept secret, in fact so well kept that even his own cousin didn’t know about it. It’s not something he ever announced or talked about in interviews. He felt like it was sacred, something that should have been kept just to himself.



When he would get small breaks in his schedule he often found himself out on a lake somewhere fishing. He would go alone, and often times ended up regretting that, choosing to make a mental note to remind himself to bring someone along for company.



For Kevin, too much alone time meant too much thinking time. Sometimes he needed that time to sort out what was going on in his life, but other times it just made him feel so lonely.



It was so rare that he got any alone time anymore he grew used to not missing it. It wasn’t until everyone had left a room and he was actually by himself, free to do whatever he wanted, that he would long for company.



Once he became famous, he was no longer allowed to be by himself anymore without fans trying to figure out his whereabouts. If the guys even went so long as a week without seeing each other that was sure to spell a break up to everyone who cared a little too much about him and the members of his band.



Those break up rumors grated on his nerves more than anything else. He hated to hear his fans talk about how much they all supposedly hated each other and so on. He had overheard two girls once, while he was leaving a performance of Chicago, talking about how Nick had single handedly ruined the boy’s careers and that it was his fault that things had gone sour and that they had broken up. Kevin was tempted to back track and say, “Actually its people like you! You’re the reason we needed a break. You guys want too much from us too often. We love you but we need room to breathe!”



Even now he sometimes felt the same way. Just seeing the fans reactions to Nick’s relationship with the socialite from hell or when he would be captured in a picture (of course without his consent) away from his wife, or if AJ happened to be photographed anywhere near a bar, the way the fans reacted almost made Kevin nauseous.



How he wished that he could follow some of those girls around all day every day and pick apart every little detail of their lives. Then maybe they’d appreciate what his life had become.



“What are you thinking? Are you mad at me or something?” Kevin looked away from the water and over at Nick who was holding his fishing rod incorrectly and looked like he was having a horrible time standing in the cold water, still trying to find his balance.



“Are you regretting your decision to come with me?”



Nick tilted his head confused, “Did I say anything to make you mad? I swear to God I have been completely quiet for at least a whole ten minutes.”



Kevin smiled, “Yeah that has to be some record for you.”



“So why are you mad at me?”



The look on Nick’s face was one of confusion and hurt. “I’m not mad at you Nick, I was actually just thinking about our fans.”



“Oh…okay, well you were just staring at the rocks and giving them that disgusted look you usually give me.” He said, letting out what was probably a sigh of relief.



“The look I usually give you?”



“Yup, I like to call it the Kevin look…you should be honored a look has your name attached to it.”



“Oh yes I’m thrilled…and I suppose everyone knows about this Kevin look except for me huh?”



“Well now you know too… so congrats!”



Kevin rolled his eyes and cast his pole over his head once more before throwing the rod into the water, “I was just thinking about how sometimes our fans can be kind of well…”



“Rude? Psycho? Strange? Odd?”



“Yeah all of the above.”



“I’m sure they’d love to know we talk about them like this.”



“Actually I’m sure most of them think that’s all we talk about.”



“Yup those are the ones that scare me the most.” Nick said trying to imitate Kevin’s movements with his fishing pole but only succeeding in getting the line caught on his head.



Kevin laughed and made his way over to his friend, “You are so spastic… really Nick.”



“Well Jesus sorry if I have no clue what the heck I’m doing, it’s not like I’ve ever done this before.”



“You know what? I’m going to start charging you a dollar for every damn time you say that to me.”



“What? That I’ve never done this before?”



“That’s one dollar right there!”



“Hey no fair! You can’t make rules up like that.”



Kevin stood next to Nick, holding his shoulder and trying to unknot the fishing line which was coiled around the younger one’s head. “How did you do this?”



“I was just trying to toss it around like you were.”



Kevin shook his head as he continued to untangle Nick.



“Ouch man you’re like pulling my hair out!”



“Then stop moving.”



“I’m not moving I’m standing still.”



“If you were standing still I wouldn’t say you were moving.”



“I’m not moving.”



“Nick stop moving!”



“Is it really that caught that you need to tug on me like that or is it…damn wow look at the size of that freaking frog!”



Kevin turned his head in time to see a huge bullfrog hop from one rock to another forgetting he had Nick’s head in his hands.



“You’re breaking my neck dude!”



“Sorry…but I wouldn’t be breaking your neck if you would just stand the hell still!”

“Dude I hope you have more patience with your kids than you do with me, because if not they will totally be running away to their cool Uncle Nick’s house.”



Kevin sighed, “Well then their cool Uncle Nick can explain to them why he STILL has a damn fishing line stuck on his head.”



“Yeah I’ll just tell them it’s because their father dragged me to fly fish with him and I don’t know how to fish!”



That’s two bucks!”



“Damn! You just tricked me into saying that Kevin, I swear that…OUCH!”



Nick took a step backward and of course lost his balance and once again ended up falling into the cold water, going underneath, but this time Kevin came right along with him.



When they both resurfaced, Nick started laughing, “It’s cold as hell in here!”



“I swear I’m going to drown you before today is over.” Kevin said looking around for his fishing pole, happy to see it floating right next to him.



“Hey I’m untangled Kev…thanks,” Nick said standing up and smiling.



“At this rate we’re never going catch a single fish.” Kevin said walking back to where he was standing earlier. He was cold now and felt the first few goose bumps form on his arms as he once again cast his line out into the lake.



“Sorry about that, I think I’m just going to watch you do this for a little while first.”



“Good idea…” Kevin said as Nick made his way over to where he was standing, “By the way, you never answered my question earlier.”



“What question was that?”



Kevin looked over at Nick, “Do you regret coming with me today?”



Nick put his hand to his chin as if he was in deep thought, “Hrmm well this is another one of those trick questions isn’t it?”



Kevin seemed disappointed by that answer, “Never mind.”



“Kev…if I didn’t come I would have missed out on all this fun. I mean did we not just see the hugest bullfrog ever?”



“Biggest Nick…biggest.”



“Yeah that’s what I just said.”



“No you just said…never mind, yes we saw the biggest bullfrog ever.”



“That was cool.”



Kevin laughed and shook his head, “Yup Nick it was really cool.”



“Think he’ll pop out again? I mean you did say I should catch a frog didn’t you?”



“Nick, if he does pop out again all you’ll do is wave to the thing because I’m not letting you take a frog into my car.”



“Maybe if he pops out again I’ll catch him and let you give it a big wet sloppy kiss!”



Kevin moved with his fishing line feeling something tug on it from beneath the water, he had hoped to catch at least five fish by now. He had only caught one big giant blonde like one so far and unfortunately no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t toss it back into the water for another one. Brunette, he corrected his thoughts; it was so weird to think of Nick as anything but a blonde.



That thought found him looking over at his friend who was now watching the waves entranced by the small guppies swimming right through his legs. The look in his eyes mirrored one of a child at Christmas time.



“You act like you have never seen a fish before. Are you sure you love the ocean?”



“They are so small but yet have no fear at all, I mean here I am standing here with a damn fishing pole and yet these guppies are swimming right through my legs fearless.”



“That’s probably because ten minutes ago they just saw that you had that fishing pole stuck to your head.”



“Shut up maaan…I’m trying to be serious here and you like totally killed the moment.”



“My bad…sorry, keep prattling on about the wonders of guppies and I’ll pretend to listen.”



Nick sighed, “Forget it…sorry little dudes but Kevin doesn’t seem to see the great potential in you. Remember that… when you come back to take over the world!”



“Take over the world?”



“Yup, Guppy world domination but you know what? They’ll leave me be as their helper because I just said nice things about them.”



“Oh they will huh?”



“Yup, but you my friend will be toast.”



“I don’t think so Nick, I mean you are fishing right now, that can’t look too good in their eyes.”



“Do guppies have eyes?”



Kevin refused to answer that question, “You know what’s sad? All your fans wouldn’t be the least but surprised that you have pledged allegiance to the guppy take over.”



“You know what your fans would think…oh that’s right you don’t have any, my bad!”



“That’s it!” Kevin said placing his rod once again on the water and walking towards Nick who let out a little girl scream as Kevin lunged at him, knocking him back down under the water.



In the commotion, Kevin not noticing his fishing rod taking off with the currents of the lake.

Hey there! I'll try to update this one from now on, on Wednesdays since I got all switched up but once again no promises lol enjoy! :)