- Text Size +
“Day Walkers”



**~Chapter thirty-two- Enough~**



Howie walks into the large kitchen and takes a mug full of coffee to help keep him wide awake. A.J. follows Howie into the kitchen and stares at his friend.



“You’re taking the whole Trinity’s death pretty well. I’d thought for sure you would lose it when you heard about it.” A.J said with interest.



The glass mug crashes to the floor spilling the contents across the mahogany floor as A.J. said that. Howie stood there stunned at the news and gently pushes A.J. aside to leave the kitchen. He races up the stairs and walks pass the door where the girls are held captive. He passes a bedroom and a bathroom until he reaches the end of the hallway where a large oak door stood to the left of him. He gazes sadly at the large arc shape window which infiltrates the moonlight across the red carpet and turns the thick copper doorknob to enter his bedroom. He closes the door behind him quietly and begins looking for his suitcase. A.J. runs into the room a few seconds later with concern on his face.



“Bro, what the hell was that downstairs? Are you ok?” A.J. asks with apprehension on his face.



Howie turns to face A.J. and stares at the chocolate eyes with distress on him. “I can’t do this! I’m through!” Howie shouts, throwing his arms in the air. He pulls on his red blazer and tugs on his black jeans.



“Through? Through! No you can’t! How can you feel this way?” A.J. cries out running over to his friend who’s sitting on the edge of his large king size bed. A.J. sits next to him and tries to understand where this sudden feeling appeared in Howie.



“Look, I’m here to listen, please talk to me. You’ve always been there to comfort me, now it’s my turn.” A.J. says with a small smile.



“It’s clear what I said A.J. I’m through with all the killing, pain, sadness, loneliness. I’m done with it. It’s enough to stop me and change my ways.” Howie says with sadness in his voice. He stares at A.J. who’d wearing a dark navy blue baseball hat and beneath his sad eyes. A.J. tugged on his black windbreaker and rubbed his hands on his dark blue jeans.



“But D, you can’t change what you were born to do in life.” A.J. whispers quietly avoiding the harsh glance coming from Howie.



“I can if I try.” Howie says quietly pulling out his black leather suitcase from the closet. He begins flinging clothing and items into the open suitcase while A.J. sits there in surprise.



“Bro wait! What’s happening? Where are you going?” A.J. shouts suddenly as he stands near him with trepidation. “And what do you mean you’re through with it? You can’t be serious! What about what’s happening with the slayer and such, you can’t leave. I can’t believe you decide to grow a freaking conscience now!”



“I don’t want to do this anymore! How clear do I have to get for you to understand that? I’m going away from here! I don’t wanna be involved in killing more people anymore.” Howie states angrily zipping close his suitcase.



“Please D. don’t do this. You’re not thinking clearly! You don’t know what you what!” A.J. states scared, his eyes wide open as he runs to the door and blocks Howie from leaving him. He stands in front of Howie and places his hands out in front of him. “D, think this out, seriously bro! You’re not making sense here! You can’t quit!”



“Hmm, lets see I’m pretty sure I know what I mean and clearly understand it, so why can’t you?” Howie states, his voice becoming louder from aggravation.



A.J. stands there, he didn’t want Howie walking out on them. “Doesn’t our friendship mean anything? The group? We need ya D, you just can’t bounce like that.” He states, his voice shaking in fear as his eyes blurred with tears. He stares at Howie and noticed that Howie was crying.



Howie falls on his knees and begins crying. “Please understand! I can’t kill anymore. I never ask to be like this. Me voy!” (I’m leaving) “Try to understand. No quiero hacer esto!”(I don’t want to do this)



A.J. nods his head and crawls over to Howie hugging him. “It’s ok bro, I know how you feel. I guess the killing can get to ya huh? Let’s not worry. Just say you’ll consider leaving after we take care of the business at hand with the slayer. Then you can do what you want and I won’t stop you.” He says sighing, patting Howie’s shoulder, smiling softly.



Howie nods his head, “Ok, thanks bro. I’ll do that.” He says smiling back and staring at the suitcase besides him emptying it.

~*~



He takes a seat on the large white steps on the porch in the front of the house watching Kevin disappear from his view. Brian sits beside him staring at the large vacant front yard. Sighing, Nick looks at Brian confused.



“I got a question Brian, I know I’m not suppose to feel this way, but is it possible to suddenly grow a conscience?” Nick asks curiously.



Brian shrugs his shoulders and nods his head, “I guess, why? Have you’ve been feeling guilty lately about what we’re gonna do?”



“Yeah, actually, I was afraid to say anything that’s all. I thought I would look like a sissy feeling sad for the girls.” Nick says quietly.



Brian laughs softly, “Aww, lil’ Nicky feels bad. Don’t worry, it’s happens to all of us. Kevin feels a little weird ‘bout all this too. You see him there acting tough but in reality he’s at the point where he doesn’t know what is right and wrong anymore.” Brian stopped talking to see Nick placing his head in between his knees as tears drip down onto the step. “Whoa, buddy, listen I know it sounds tough doing what we gotta do, but it’s our life.”



Nicks sniffs and raises his head to look at Brian. He roughly wipes away some tears on his eyes and stares at Brian with wet blue eyes. “Trinity stated we have a choice in how we live our lives. We chose to kill but we can stop it, can’t we?”



Brian nods his head, “Of course, but we kill to live, we don’t have a choice. Trinity died trying to change and now look, I’m sure she’s died somewhere if Summer got to her.”



“But Rok, I feel bad, guilty that we’re responsible for the death of many innocent lives. It’s sad to know that when I look out in the sky, I can never know what it feels like to be sent free.” Nick whispers quietly.



“I think about dying, what would happen to me, but it’s upsetting to know I can never know what it feels to go to Heaven. I read how beautiful it is and we can never see it because we were born like this, to kill.” Brian says sadly.



Nick rubs Brian’s shoulder and gives him a comforting hug, now it was his turn to be the comforter and be an “older” brother to his friend. “Maybe God will understand our problem when we die. You know our ancestors died at the ages we are now. Maybe this is how it’s supposed to end. Our lives that is. Who knows?” Nick states quietly sighing deeply staring at his heartrending friend.



Brian nods and both men look at the large black gate waiting for the arrival of the eldest brother-Kevin.

~*~



Her mouth drops open as she stares out the window. She turns to looks at Blue and her blue grey eyes open wide. “Did we just hear what we heard? Is there a chance we might not die because they feel suddenly guilty?” Paige squeals loudly. Blue shakes her head and both women back away from the window in case they were heard.



“I’d doubt it, I would like to believe that, but us feeling sorry for them isn’t helping. We gotta get out of this place. But all we have is that locked door and this one window that is impossible to jump off from.” Blue states anxiously. She walks around the small room tugging on her brown ponytail nervously. “There’s gotta be some other way to leave this room, but I can’t remember.” Blue says annoyed.



Paige’s eyes lit up as she remembered something. “Wait, I think there is! I did research on this house a while ago, but never thought the house actually existed! But now that I think of it, maybe there’s a small latch or trap door hidden beneath the red carpet of this room. But we can’t find out cause we don’t have anything to cut it with.”



Paige’s eyes grew wide open as Blue pulls out of her back pocket a small hand size blade. Blue noting Paige’s surprised look responded, “Hey I carry it around for protection, don’t look at me like that, it’s your idea.” With that Blue begins cutting into the red plush carpet, pulling small pieces of the carpet in the center of the room. Paige hurries over and helps tug on the red carpet peeling it away to reveal large shiny mahogany planks as the floor. “Man, we can be here forever trying to look for an imaginary latch.” Blue states tiredly failing to stifle a yawn.



Paige peels away a little more of the carpet and her hand brushes against something cold and metal. “I found it!” Paige squeals as her hand grips the cold metal handle hidden beneath the carpet. Tugging at it, Paige and Blue cut around it and pull away some more of the carpet. There it was, a large wooden squared shaped door with a small curved handle in the center of it. Pulling on it, both girls manage to open the latch.



“So now what?” Paige states yawning.



“We see where it takes us.” Blue says curiously, her brown eyes wide open. Paige sticks her head slowly into the hole.



“I don’t think it’s such a good idea, we don’t know what’s down there, for all I know dead bodies could be there!” Paige says nervously.



Blue shrugs her shoulders, “While I guess a flashlight will come in handy” she states as she pulls out a small miniature flashlight.



Paige smiles, “Well I guess you should go first. After all elders first.”



Blue stares at her, “You gotta be kidding me right? That’s real nice, I’ll just get eaten by something down there first. That’s real nice Paige. Real nice.” At this the girls laugh and take a deep breath. “Ready?” Blue asks.



Paige nods her head, “Let’s go!” she whispers jumping into the hole after Blue.



The small light rarely helped in the dark tunnel beneath the room. The women follow the tunnel until the end of it where an iron door was in the front of them. The door looked like a vault and in the center of the door was an iron circular wheel which resembled a steering wheel with iron rods connected to it.



“So I guess we should open it then huh?” Paige asks.



Blue shrugs her shoulders as she lets the flashlight scan their surroundings. “Well maybe we shouldn’t open it, there’s a small sign above the door that states the door shouldn’t be open.” Blue states quietly.



Paige looks up at the sign and smiles, “Aha, see when it says that, it means there’s something very important behind it.”



“Ok, then if you think so, knock yourself out and have fun opening that door.” Blue states laughing standing next to Paige. Both girls tug on the wheel of the door and turn it around, until a clicking sound was heard. “Oh, goody it’s open!” Blue states sarcastically.



Paige laughs and pulls open the door only to see a large wave of what looks like blood cascading towards them.



“AWWWWWWWWWW!!” Paige screams and starts running blindly back to where the latch is.



“Uh oh!” shouts Blue has the large wave of blood splashes down on her and Paige. Both girls swim in the sea of blood and reach back to the latch climbing up a small metal ladder. After getting out, Blue closes the latch and lets out a big sigh. The sea of blood continued splashing beneath them under the trap door. “See, I told you to leave that door alone didn’t I?” Blue states, trying to wipe away some of the blood off her. Both girls were covered in blood and the smell of it wasn’t intoxicating either.



“Sorry ‘bout that. Guess we should just call them and beat them down.” Paige states eagerly jumping up and running towards the door shouting for one of the guys to come here quickly. Blue runs over and holding the small knife she has, they wait for one of them to come. Hopefully they can get out of here before it’s too late.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**