- Text Size +
[Chapter 1]
Well, it was an unordinary day. I mean, ordinary would mean touring in the middle of say . . . Europe and dripping sweat on a stage in front of thousands of people. Yea, of course it's fun, but it can get tiring. People can sometimes forget to understand that we are human, too. So, like any other person out there, I need to take a break once in a while. Even Brian, who I think is the most hyper and is the energy of the group, gets tired. So you can probably guess the rest of us feel the same way, too. But, anyway, back to what I was saying. I really enjoy these "unordinary" days - living a normal life, hanging out with the guys and with my family, and just doing things your average joe would do. And, during these days, something happened. And, it was not just any regular thing - but something that changed my life.

It was extremely hot outside - and when I say hot, I mean very, very, very hot. It's like what most people say about Florida, you put and egg outside and it'll be fried. By the looks of it, it seemed to be completely true. It was only the fourth day of January, and Orlando was already steaming. Nevertheless, I had a precious day before me and I decided to do something I hadn't been in touch with for a long time - video games. So, I went to the local GameStop - which I used to visit often. I usually talk to Jeff, the clerk, and by now I have gotten to know him pretty well. He's been a good friend and keeps me up to date on all things happening around here in Orlando when I'm gone. Today was no different. Jeff was standing behind the counter, adjusting the shelf behind him.

"Hey man."

"Hey Nick - hows it going?"

I leaned my back against the counter, staring out the store window. Jeff is probably somewhere in his mid 30's and is not very tall. But, you wouldn't call him short either. He's actually a really cool guy. He's always acted the same way towards me - as a normal guy, even though he knows that I'm one of the Backstreet Boys. Yet, he doesn't let that change his personality towards me. I value that, knowing that he sees me as a good friend, as Nick - not someone often seen on MTV.

"Pretty good - things are going great. I'm happy to be back home for a while - even if it's for a month. That's more than I could ask for."

"Glad to know that. I've seen how busy you've been. A person like you deserves a break. "

"So, anything new around here?"

"Nothing really, the usual. Hey, I almost forgot to tell you - we've got a new champion."

Now, it just so happens that for the past couple of years, I've been the video game champion of the town. While I'm on tour, people try their hardest to beat my score and, luckily, no one had succeeded. I don't mean to brag, but it's true. And, I feel proud to know that I'm good at something other than what I'm doing now. So, when I heard this, beside it being unexpected, it was also something I was hoping wouldn't happen. I spun around so fast, I almost hit him in the face.

"What?!? Hell no, are you kidding me?" He grinned.

"Why would I? I actually know her pretty well. She comes often and she's really good. I knew she had the potential, and then she did it. She beat your score."

For a while, I just stood there - amazed yet sad at the same time. But hey - that didn't dampen my spirits. Nick Carter doesn't accept defeat without a challenge.

"Is she here?"

"Nope, but I think she'll be coming tomorrow. Stop by around 1:00 and I'll introduce you to her."

"Kay, Jeff. And can you do me a favor? Make sure that no one uses that game machine over there. Reserve it for the two of us. I wanna make sure I get my title back."

Jeff grinned again. "Sure Nick."

"Thanks - I'll see you later."

"No prob - Say hi to your partners in crime for me."
I laughed at his little comment and then headed out. My jet-black Escalade was parked in the back. The blazing sun was setting over the red-orange horizon and I was hungry as hell. I decided to take the shortest route home.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"And you guys pigged out without me?"

Kevin, Brian, Howie, and AJ were sitting on the coach watching 'Top Gun' (It was Kevin's turn to choose the movie). AJ shot a smirk at me.

"Hey, you come late - you miss the pizza."

"Pizza?! Guys, come on!"

"Don't torture him that much, AJE. It's in the kitchen Nick."

"Thanks, Kev." I was in the kitchen in a second and the pizza was done in the next. I gulped down some Coke to go with it.

"Don't kill yourself Frack." It was AJ.

"Don't worry, I won't." His casual expression then changed to one that was more serious. I sensed a hint of worry in his voice.

"Hey, can I talk to you 'bout something?"
It was what I feared. He wanted to ask me about my breakup with Jessica, my ex-girlfriend.

"Don't worry I'm ok about it. I just was hurt that she was using me because of my money, and then going out with a guy behind my back. I mean, I had understood things weren't going good for us - she didn't like me, and I wasn't into her - and us breaking up was bound to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen the way it did." AJ smiled at me and patted my back.

"It's ok. I guess people can be so low sometimes." Then, we just forgot about it and AJ's cheery mood returned.

"Anyway, I'm gonna get back to the flick. Gonna come?"

"Yeah sure."

Actually, talking to AJ made me feel somewhat better. I was sort of depressed because of what happened. But, now, I felt I could care less.