- Text Size +
[ Chapter 11 ]

(Fiona's POV)
We spent the rest of the week exploring the rest of the city and it's wonders. Being here made me feel so much at home, as if I lived in New York again and nothing had changed. Everything seemed so magical, and Nick added to that. The whole span of our time together was nothing less than wonderful and left me happier than words can explain.

Every once in a while, I called in on AJ and Kevin to see if things were ok with Daniel. They seemed to be having a great time and Daniel's adorable giggles put a wide smile on my face. Besides all this, I noticed something strange about Nick. He seemed to be upto something because his mind was usually distant and he wouldn't tell me anything. It's not that I wasn't having a good time with him, because I really was, and he as usual is always in this really happy mood. So you'd be thinking - what's wrong then? But I just know he's not telling me something and whenever I ask him, he laughs in his stupid yet cute way and says "Nothing baby, the only thing on my mind is you."

Yes, very flattering and I can't help but give into his sweet words, but that doesn't mean that I'm off his case. I still couldn't get any answers and we had two days before we had to return to Florida. On the morning of that day, I woke up to find that Nick was gone and found a note in his place.

Good morning baby - sorry I'm not there to make it any better (hehe) but I had to do something really important and, apparently, I can't tell you about it. But don't worry because I've noticed you've been a little worked up lately and you probably think that I'm some sort of murderer, killing people just to satisfy my psychotic pleasures, and am currently at work to hide the bodies before we go home. But, that's not so. Trust me, you'll find out about it soon enough, and just don't worry. I promise to be back around evening, no later than 7. Love you like hell - Nick the Great.

I smiled at Nick's little attempt at humor, but mostly because I had at least gotten some sort of explanation. I got up to get something to eat, and while nibbling a granola bar, I realised that I had nothing to do. I sighed, knowing that I would have to get through the day alone. It seemed funny when I thought about it - that I couldn't last a few hours without Nick. This sort of boosted my spirits and I decided not to let Nick's absence be an obstacle. So, I sat down to watch something on TV.

The Notebook was on and, since I heard it was really good, I decided to watch. It actually was turning out to be interesting, but midway into the movie, the doorbell rang. I got up to answer it. It couldn't have been Nick - he never gets back early. And, I was right. It was a tall, sturdy man in a jet black suit. He couldn't be room service, I thought, and I didn't recall ever seeing him before.

"Um, Hi. May I help you?" He smiled politely.

"Is this the suite of Mr. Nickolas Carter?"

"Yes, but he's not here at the moment."

"Oh, so you must be Ms. Fiona Locke - am I right?"
By now, I was positive that I didn't know him, but how did he know my name?

"Yes, but pardon me . . Do I know you?" He chuckled.

"No, you wouldn't know me. But, I am here on orders of somebody you would know." Somebody that I knew? Wait a minute, I didn't live here. So how would anybody know me in the city? I lived in New York about 3 years ago and none of the people that I used to know would remember . . or would they? But how did they know I was here?

"Um, I think you are mistaken. I don't think I know -"

"Believe me ma'am, you know this person quite well. And, apparently, he is dying to meet you. I am here to escort you, and if you would just follow me . . "

"But, I don't know if I can -"

"Trust me ma'am. There is nothing to worry about." He smiled again to reassure me.

"Um . . . Ok, I guess so. But, can you please give me a minute?" He nodded and I went inside and grabbed a jacket. I was still curious about who this 'somebody' was and because of this curiosity, I forgot to write Nick a note.

We took the elevator to the main floor and I followed him outside to a large black limo. He opened the door and I sat inside. I was still a little reluctant - I didn't know who this guy was or where I was going. We drove into a very bustling part of the city and stopped in front of a building so tall, I couldn't see the top of it, at least from inside the limo.

He opened the door and I got out. Then, smiling politely again, he motioned for me to follow him. He led me into a glass elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. The ride to the top was actually fascinating as we moved through each floor. I could see everything from the elevator, inside the building and out.

Finally, the elevator stopped and I stepped out. I turned around and saw that the man was still standing in the elevator. Smiling, he waved as the doors closed and he was gone. I stood there confused.

What was I going to do now? Then, I saw a door in front of me. As my only option, I walked towards it. There was a golden sign on the door with a name engraved on it.

"John Michaels."

As I read the name, I felt shock take over me and I froze in place. I stood there until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I slowly turned around and found myself looking into a pair of green eyes.

"Oh my god - I can't believe it's you." My voice was barely a whisper. I looked him over. He was still the same, but taller and well built. I recognized his black hair and his warm smile. As I stood there in wonder, he laughed.

"It's been long, but you're still the same." I squealed in delight and hugged him.

"Wow - how did you know I was here?"

"Well, I have my ways." Laughing we walked inside his office. I gasped in wonder at the sight before me. The room was huge, with an even bigger glass window, overlooking the city.

"Is . . Is this . . your office?"

"Yup. Neat, isn't it?"

"Much more than that! I didn't know you're the new Bill Gates." He smiled.

"Well, I'm not. But, I've worked harder and have been able to get myself to this position." I walked around the office, looking around. He led me to his huge chair and asked me to sit there. I giggled, feeling slightly powerful.

"So Fi, how have you been? I haven't seen you since . . . ever."

"I'm doing great. I just have no words for it. I mean . . . at first it was hard, since I moved to Orlando. I didn't know anyone, and it was just Daniel and me, but then things got better and it's all really wonderful."

"Glad to know things are going good for you. . . But, why did you leave so suddenly? I mean . . why did you leave at all?"

I didn't know what to tell him - that I left so I could get away from all the sadness? From all those memories I had of my parents? Just thinking about it brought me on the verge of tears, but I held them back. It's not like I wanted anything like that to happen, and I understood the reason for his questioning. He was, after all, my best friend and he must have been worried. But I couldn't answer him.

"I'm . . I'm sorry - I shouldn't have brought that up, Fi. Just forget about it."

"No, it's ok. I know why you asked." He looked at me with a sad expression and turned away.

"So, I guess you know the torture you put me through after you left." I looked at him, confused, feeling the tears coming on.

"John, you know I didn't mean -" He suddenly turned around, with anger visible on his face.

"You didn't even tell me! You didn't even say goodbye! You could have at least called me or something - but you just completely forgot about those who cared about you back home! I went completely out of my mind after you left - did you know that ?! Day and night I thought about you, where you were, what happened to you - but you couldn't even call or write to me to let me know that you were ok!"

"How . . How could you say that?" I felt the hot tears stream down my face. "You know what I was going through! I just started college and then . . they were gone! Did you know how I felt? They were my parents! And I was only eighteen with a little brother barely 6 months old! I had to make that decision! It was harder for me than anyone else! Did you think I wanted to leave and not tell anyone? How you could even think . ."

By now, my eyes red and my face wet with tears of pain. I couldn't take it and started for the door. How could he do this to me?

"Fiona - wait!" I felt him grab me by the waist and I struggled to pull free.

"Leave me alone!" He was alot stronger and held me tight. He touched my face softly, wiping the tears.

"I'm so sorry, Fi. I didn't mean this to happen . . I guess I was just so worried about you . . "

"How could you blame me like that?" I was trying to not cry, but the tears kept on pouring. He pulled me into his arms and hugged me tight.

"I'm sorry - I didn't mean to do that. Please - please don't cry." After a while, I was able to calm down and the room became completely silent. I looked at the clock and saw that it was near 6.

"I . . I should be going now." He looked at me with worry on his face.

"But, don't you want to stay?"

"I can't . . he might be waiting for me -"

"He? You mean Nick?" I looked at him, startled.

"How did you know -" He smiled weakly.

"Like I said, I have my ways. But, I'd like it if you stayed a little longer."

"I'm sorry John, but I should leave." The expression on his face didn't change and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I tried to pull away as he pulled my closer.

"I'd like to spend some time with you - after so long." As his face moved closer to mine, I felt fear inside of me. What was he doing?!? I tried pushing him away, but his grip had tightened.

"John, please -" Suddenly, I felt his lips touching mine. My eyes widened and I tried moving away, but it was no use. His kiss was hard and forceful. My fear grew as his mouth pressed harder on mine, and when I felt almost out of breath, his grip on me loosened and I pushed myself away. I stood, looking at him in shock.

"Why did you do that ?!"

"Because . . I love you - more than anything. That's why I almost went crazy when you left. Can't you see? I'm mad for you Fiona. I love you." I stood there, shocked. I couldn't take in what he was saying.

"No . . . no - you can't. . . I . . . you can't . ." I shook my head in disbelief. His face filled with anger.

"It's all because of that Carter guy, isn't it?" I backed out of the room, not wanting to stay any longer. As I ran out and into the elevator, I still heard John screaming.

"So you care more about him than you do about me? Don't worry Fiona - I'll make you mine! And I'll take care of that son of a -"

As the elevator descended, I shook with fear. This was not the John I knew. He did have a quick temper, but not to this extent. Who knew what he was capable of doing, and what he said about Nick scared me even more. All that was on my mind was to get back to the hotel, to Nick.