- Text Size +
[ Chapter 12 ]

I paced around the bedroom, filled with extreme worry. I had no idea where Fiona was and I had no way of contacting her. It had been almost 2 hours since I had come back from the jewelers and I still heard nothing from her. What was worse, it began snowing outside and with each minute, it increased.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a velvet case which contained a stunning diamond ring, perfectly crafted and the most beautiful one that I could find. I ran my fingers over the brilliant stone, thinking about how it was nothing compared to the beauty of who I loved. I just wished she was here with me, so I could place it on her slender finger and ask her to become mines. I put it back into my pocket and slumped onto the couch. Everything was wonderful between the two of us - I felt I had never loved anyone as I loved her. And this love caused me to fall into deep worry, for I had no idea where she was. I sighed and buried my head in my hands. A few minutes later, I heard the door open. I got up suddenly and dashed to the living room.

I was so relieved to see her standing there, as she locked the door. But with this relief, anger came rushing out.

"Where the hell have you been?!" She jumped when she heard my voice and turned around, face to face with myself.

"Nick - I . ." Her long, dark eyelashes were sprinkled with snow as was her hair. She was slightly shivering and there was a look of fear on her face.

"You didn't even leave a message! God, I was worried sick!" She flinched at my screaming. I was suddenly aware of my anger and let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you. . . But, I was so-"

"It's okay. I understand." I was glad she did and I pulled her closer into a hug. I kissed her cheek as she rested her head upon my shoulder.

"So . ." I whispered into her ear. "Where have you been?"

She pulled away from me and I noticed that she was trying to avoid direct eye contact.

"Nick . . I'm really tired. Maybe we can go to bed and talk about this in the morning?" I looked at her suspiciously but gave in to her request.

"Um - ok, I guess."
I went back to the bedroom as she went into the bathroom to change. I unbuttoned my shirt and threw it carelessly onto the couch. I, myself, was too tired to think about anything and sat down on the bed with my back against the headboard.
Fiona walked in and sat down on the bed. She was still trying to avoid my eyes and was facing away from me. The atmosphere felt uncomfortable and I had a strong feeling that something was wrong.

"Fiona . . is everything all right?" I turned her towards me and saw tears streaming down her face. I looked at her, worried, and pulled her closer into my arms. I felt her clinging onto me as the sobbing increased.

"Fiona . . ." I waited until everything was quiet and felt her body relax against mines. I took her face into my hands and wiped the tears away.

"Is something wrong?" She shook her head and, again, turned away. I put a hand on her face and pulled it towards mine and we were looking directly into each others eyes. I smiled at her, reassuringly.

"Come on - you know you could talk to me. I'm here for you." She nodded, with slight fear apparent on her face.

"Nick . . . I - I met someone today . . . someone I used to know."

"Hey - That's wonderful! So, who was it?"

". . . It was an old friend . . and we used to be really close. . His name is John - one of his workers took me to him . . and I found out how successful he has become -"

"Baby, That's great!"

"Yea . . but . ." I saw tears forming in her eyes again. There was a minute of silence until she finally spoke.

"He loves me . ." Her voice was barely a whisper.

"What?"

"Nick, he loves me! He told me so - and he even kissed me, against my own will! I was so happy to see him after so long and how he's been able to follow his dreams, but I didn't expect this! I didn't know . ."

Her voice trailed off as the tears came pouring out. I sat there, still trying to comprehend what I just heard. Somebody else loved Fiona - someone she'd known. This couldn't be happening - everything was going so perfectly and now this?
I didn't know what to do or what to say. She wrapped her arms around my neck and put her head on my shoulder. I still heard her crying softly.

"He's changed, Nick. I still think of him as my friend . . I don't love him, but I'm so scared. I don't know what he could do. . I don't want him to hurt you. I've already lost two of the people I had loved most and I don't want to lose another . . I don't want to lose you Nick - I love you so much."

With every word she said, I was hit by a rush of emotions. I felt myself melting in her embrace and smiled to myself. As soon as she said the words I love you, I didn't care about anything else - because that was all that mattered. I pulled her back so she was facing me and smiled at her.

"Don't worry baby, its ok."

"I'm sorry Nick . . I didn't mean for all this - " I put a finger to her lips and looked into her teary eyes.

"It's alright. Don't worry about it." With that, I kissed the tears on her cheeks. I suddenly remembered something, which brought a grin to my face.

"Wait here - I have a surprise for you."

"But - "

"Close your eyes." She looked at me suspiciously, but did as I asked. I went into the closet, reached into the pocket of my jeans and pulled out the blue velvet case. I went to the windows and pushed the curtains aside. Then, I went back to the bed and led Fiona to the window.

"Okay, open your eyes." She did, and gasped. Not only was the city looking dazzling at night, but the sky, too, was illuminated with fireworks. And, seeing it from so high above the ground just made it more spectacular.

"Wow - this is so pretty." I smiled. I then bent on one knee and took Fiona's hand in mine. She looked at me, confused.

"Fiona . . god - I don't know how to say this. I - I've never felt so strongly this way about anyone and . . you've given me so much happiness that just your presence makes me feel great. I love you so much, more than words can express, and that is why I wanted to ask you - " I pulled out the case and opened it before her.

"Will you marry me?"

She stood there, surprised, as a wide smile spread slowly across her lovely face. Tears of joy were visible in her beautiful eyes.

She nodded happily in approval. At that moment, I felt a million jolts inside of me and I couldn't stop grinning.

"May I?" She nodded once again. I placed the ring on her finger and then kissed her hand. Suddenly, as if she was finally able to respond - without even looking at the precious jewelry I had given her, she took my face into her hands and gave me the most passionate kiss I had ever experienced.