- Text Size +
[Chapter 2]

I woke up at around 11:30 a.m. I wanted to go back to sleep, but I remembered what I told Jeff yesterday. Somehow, I got myself up and took a shower. I noticed my hair in the mirror. It was spiked. A few days ago, Howie complained about it. But, I liked this way. I went to the kitchen and made myself some waffles. Time seemed to go by fast because it was already 12:30. But the since the drive to the store was only about 5 minutes, I got there early. She wasn't there yet, so me and Jeff talked about what lay ahead.

"She's pretty damn good. You better watch out."
Jeff's warnings made me laugh.

"Lucky, maybe. But not better than I am." He seemed to be amused by my confidence, but didn't say anything. Actually, I wasn't as confident as you'd think. A few minutes later, I heard the store doors open.

Jeff whispered to me. "That's her."

I turned around and felt myself go numb. A beautiful girl stood there, and, damn, she was gorgeous. She had long, dark brown hair that extended to her hips and big, glimmering brown eyes. Her lips were heart-shaped and she had a light complexion that seemed as smooth as a baby's. She was wearing a pullover and jeans.

"Hey Jeff!" Wow, I thought, she has a lovely voice, too.

"Hey Fiona - oh, I'd like you to meet Nick. He was the previous champ I was talking about."

I shot Jeff a 'im-warning-you' look and he grinned evilly. Fiona looked at me and smiled. It was to die for.

"Hi, nice to finally meet you."

"Pleasure's all mine." I tried to act casual, hoping she wouldn't see the awe she left me in.

"Well, Nicky here was planning a little game, you know, a one-on-one with you - to see if you're actually as good as everyone says." Jeff really wanted to annoy me today.

"Sure, I'd love to. Which one?"

"You can try that one over there." He winked at me sarcastically. I sighed - how was I supposed to know that she, a girl beautiful beyond words, was the person I was to go against?

"Great, it's on!"

We made our way over to the machine and I inserted the coins to get it started. I silently prayed that it wouldn't.

"You know, it's an honor to be able to go against the long-time champ and Backstreet boy."

I felt myself slightly blush. So she did know I was a Backstreet boy! But she was so casual about it . . . I loved this woman already.

"I've heard good things about you myself."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I thought things couldn't get any worse - she kicked my ass. Even though I did well, I was still stunned by her moves.

"How can you be that good?" She smiled at me. I thought I was melting.

"I really don't know. It's just something I enjoy doing."

Jeff was cleaning the shelves when Fiona exclaimed her win.

"Congratulations!" He shot me a smirk. I ignored him and tried to start conversation.

"So . . do you live around here?"

"Yea, I do. Just a couple of blocks from here, actually." Then, Jeff took over and asked her about how things were going - the usual stuff. I just stood there and stared at her. After a while, Fiona decided she should go home.

"I'll see you later Jeff. It was nice meeting you, Nick." She waved to us and walked out of the store. As I watched her walk out, I was in a dreamy state. When I finally realized that she had left - my mind became filled with ideas.

Wait - I thought - I have to say something. She's so gorgeous! I can't let this slip out of my hands. So, I ran after her.

"Fiona! Wait!" She turned around and saw me.

"Nick, what happened?"

"Oh, hey . . . Um... Well... I was wondering if you'd like to . . . go out with me tonight?" Her lovely smile spread across her face.

"I'd love to, but . . I have a baby brother to take care of."

"Oh . . " Dammit. I had to think of something quick.

"Well, maybe I could come visit you . . . if it's ok."

"Sure, that would be great."

"Really?" She giggled and a rush of happiness spread over me.

"Of course." She gave me her address and number and waved goodbye. I stood there for a while, trying to think about what had just happened. I couldn't believe it! It was like a date - sort of. But, I didn't care - as long as I could see her. I drove home as fast as I could to get ready for the night.