- Text Size +
[Chapter 3]

I reached Fiona's place at 8:00. She lived in an apartment in a building not very far from the beach. The building itself was neat and clean. I had bought her flowers - and was praying that she would like them. Holding the bouquet in hand, I rang her doorbell. A few seconds later, she opened the door. She was looking even more beautiful than before. She was dressed casually but there was something about her face that left me in awe. She smiled her lovely smile and I guess she noticed me gaping because she giggled.

"Would you like to come in Nick?" I suddenly came to realization and entered her apartment. It was charming and made you feel cozy and right at home. I handed her the bouquet.

"Wow . . . Nick, this is beautiful. You didn't have to. It's so pretty."

"Not as much as you are." She blushed and put the flowers in a vase.

"I would like to introduce you to someone." She led me to the living room and right in the middle, surrounded by colorful blocks, was a little kid.

"This is Daniel - my little brother." And he surely was. He had the same huge, beautiful brown eyes and the same dark brown hair. He stood up and ran over to me and hugged my leg.

"Hey Mick!" Fiona and I laughed and I picked the little guy up.

"Hey Daniel! And remember it's Nick, not Mick." I don't think he heard what I said because he was too busy trying to touch my hair. I put him down next to his blocks and he immediately began to play with them.

"He's an interesting little guy." Fiona laughed.

"I guess he is. Anyway, would you like something to eat or drink?" I shook my head.

"Hey, are your parents here?" As soon as I saw her expression, I knew I shouldn't have said that. Her smile faded and she looked down at Daniel, trying to avoid my eyes.

"Our parents died in a car accident a year ago, so it's just Daniel and me." I was feeling so awful that I wanted to choke myself for what I said.

"I'm so sorry. I really shouldn't have brought that up."

"Its ok." She smiled weakly at me and I could tell she was trying to hide her feelings.

"You should sit down. Make yourself comfortable." I sat down on the sofa next to her. I could sense that she was still feeling sad.

"Are you ok?"

"Yea, I'm fine." Then, I took her hand in mines and she looked up at me.

"You know you could talk to me. I'm here for you," I told her. Fiona then told me about the death of her parents and how she and Daniel were left alone. After moving to Orlando and taking a job, she earned enough money to buy this apartment and was raising Daniel on her own. By the time she finished telling me everything, her eyes were welling up with tears. I felt the urge to comfort her, and I did. I wrapped her in my arms, and she cried. I could feel her holding onto me, and as she cried, I felt my heart break into a thousand pieces. I didn't want her to be so sad - to suffer like this.

After a while, she lifted her head off my shoulder and I let go (Even though I didn't want to, I wanted her to stay in my arms forever).

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have let you go through this. But, I really appreciated that you talked and listened to me."

My heart skipped a beat. "It's really all right. I'm glad I helped you."

She smiled and stood up. "Well, how about some icecream? I have chocolate chip and cookie dough, if you like."

My favorite. "Oh, please - yes." First she put Daniel to bed since he had fallen asleep. She came back with two bowls of ice cream. While we ate - I had become curious.

"So, tell me about yourself."

"Like what?"

"Well you know, the basics." She giggled.

"The basics? Umm, ok. My birthday is January 7 - I was born in New York City - My favorite colors are black and blue - and I love basketball, swimming, drawing, and playing video games."

"Wow - you're a fascinating chick." She giggled again. I told her that I was also born in New York (Jamestown).

"And I also love basketball, swimming, and as you already know - video games."

"Wow, we like alot of the same things."

"I know. Hey, since you like swimming, would like to head down to the beach with me sometime?"

"Yes, I'd love to."

"How about . . . tomorrow?"

"Sure, but Daniel . ."

"Don't worry - I have something planned." She eyed me suspiciously.

"Well, if you say so, then of course I'll come with you."

"YES!" Fiona laughed and I realized I had said that out loud. I felt myself blushing. Then I noticed that it was 10:30.

"I think I should go now." When I said this, Fiona looked at the clock. Both of us hadn't noticed the time and how fast it went. We walked outside together. She thanked me for the flowers.

"I really had a great time, Nick."

"Same here, I can't wait to see you tomorrow." I guessed she saw my Cadillac because she seemed to be in awe.

"Wow - some car you have." When she said this, a huge grin spread across my face.

"I'll love to take you for a ride tomorrow." According to her lovely smile - she was more than happy too. And then, because I had such an urge to do so, I kissed her softly on her lips. She seemed startled at first and I wondered if I had done the wrong thing. But, she smiled and walked back into the building. As I watched her go, I thought that I was dreaming. Nothing that had happened could have possibly been real. But, it was.