- Text Size +
[Chapter 6]

Before going to bed last night, I looked at the calendar, and was very happy that I did. Tomorrow was January 7 - Fiona's birthday. Perfect! So many thoughts filled up my head - what to give her, what to wear, etc. I made the perfect plan and went to sleep.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I wanted to make sure I was there before she left for work. I was wearing my favorite suit, just to make the moment more special. I rang her bell and she opened the door a moment later. I guessed she just woke up because she looked sleepy and her hair was loose around her.

"Nick . . . it's so early . . . what are you doing here?" I handed her a beautiful bouquet of red and white roses.

"Happy Birthday!" She held the flowers and then looked up at me. Her smile was dazzling.

"Thank you, But you didn-" I interrupted her before she could say anything else.

"I have a little gift for you." I handed her a velvet box and when she opened it, she put her hand to her heart. It was a necklace that was made of tiny, sparkling diamonds and hanging from it was a diamond pendant that was shaped into a heart.

There was a piece of paper attached to it that read 'With lots of love, Nick.' She looked up at me and her eyes gleamed with happiness. She smiled and put her arms around me and hugged me tight. I could hear her soft words.

"Thank you Nick . . Thank you for everything!" My heart, my whole body was melting. It felt as if it were my birthday.

"Does that mean that you'd spend the day with me?" She looked at me and I could sense a wistful tone in her voice.

"I'd really love to, but I can't ... I have work."

"No you don't" She looked confused and I grinned.

"I did a little research and found out who your employer was and I was able to persuade him to let you have a week off." Her smile and the glimmer in her eyes returned. Her face seemed to glow and I would do anything to let it stay that way.

"A whole week! God, I really don't know what to say . . . How can I ever thank you?"

"You don't need to - But, I'd love it if you would spend the day with me." She happily nodded. She told me to give her 10 minutes. During that time, I talked to Daniel - well, I was the one speaking English. But I understood alot of the things he said. I asked him if he liked me.

"You're cool big bwuther!" It was not just his adorable voice or the way he said it. He thought I was like his big brother! I couldn't help smiling and I picked him up and put him on my shoulders. He laughed with glee.

"You guys seem to be having fun."

"Oh yea, we're having alot-" She does it over and over and keeps me stunned and staring every time. She looked gorgeous beyond words. She was wearing a black dress that showed off her curves very nicely, held onto her shoulders by spaghetti straps, and flowed to her knees. She wore her hair loose and she wasn't even wearing makeup! Well, she didn't need to. Her face naturally had a lovely glow. She was also wearing the necklace I gave her, which looked wonderful on her. Luckily, I was able to stop myself from staring - or even worse, drooling.

"Shall we?" I motioned to the door. She nodded and the three of us, with Daniel still on my shoulders, walked outside. We drove in my Escalade and Fiona noticed that we were not going to my house.

"Where are we going?" I wanted it to be a surprise.

"You'll see." We reached a huge restaurant that had a colorful garden and an array of palm trees and was built on a cliff above the ocean. I led a dazed Fiona and her little brother inside. At first, all the lights were closed. But, as we stepped inside, an enormous chandelier turned on and sent light all over the place.

"Happy Birthday!" AJ, Kevin, Howie, Brian, Jeff, all of Fiona's co-workers, and all of the restaurant staff stood in the middle awaiting the lucky birthday girl. I looked at her and she was completely elated! Tears were streaming down her cheeks and she was frozen in place. Then, the guys and I sang her a birthday song and the chef brought in a beautiful cake.

Throughout the whole thing, she didn't say a word and could only give a brilliantly stunning smile. The guys showered her with presents and even the others had something for her. Then AJ suggested a dance, and all the guys took turns dancing with Fiona. She seemed completely enchanted, but, little did she realise, we were the ones under her spell.

Finally, when it was my turn to dance with her, I wanted to take her outside so we could be away from everyone else - just the two of us. I took her to the roof of the restaurant which had a fantastic view of the shore and the ocean. We danced together without music. I don't think there was any needed. When we saw the sun setting, we decided to sit down and enjoy the moment.

"Are you having a good time?" Fiona looked at me and laughed.

"I'm speechless."

"That's just what I wanted." She smiled but then turned towards me, her face filled with concern.

"Why are you doing this Nick? I mean, I love everything you've done for Daniel and for me. But, I only met you the day before yesterday and you've already done so much for me. Why?" I really didn't know what to say. I was too afraid to tell her how I felt. What if she didn't love me?
But . . . maybe I should tell her. I shouldn't let this moment escape.

"Fiona . . ." I put my hand on her face and tilted it until we were looking into each other's eyes. Her big, brown eyes were full of questions, pleading for an answer.

"I . . ." I shouldn't hesistate. I should let her know how I feel about her. It was now or never.
"I love you."

I couldn't believe I had said it! I had told her that I loved her. At first, she looked startled, surprised, not realizing what I had just said. But then, the familiar glint in her eyes had returned and it was brighter than ever before. She hugged me tightly and whispered into my ear "I love you, too."

When she said that, I didn't know what to say or what to do. My feelings were so strong that I couldn't express them. The happiness inside of me was rushing all over. I picked her up and spun around, screaming "I love you, I love you, I love you Fiona!"

We were both laughing with joy. I put her down, pulled her close, and gave her a deep and passionate kiss. Her long, silky hair was blowing in the wind and she was holding on to my shoulders. I let one hand stray behind her neck while the other held onto her back. I never wanted this moment to end - I wanted it to last forever.
We continued until both of us were out of breath and then broke into laughs.

"Nick, I think we should go back to the party. They might be wondering . . ."

"Oh yea? Then let them wonder all they want." And we walked downstairs, hand in hand.