- Text Size +
[Chapter 9]

"Damn it!" I mumbled, sleepily, as I shut off the alarm.

I didn't want to wake up. After all, I was having a wonderful sleep, especially because of Fiona who was wrapped in my arms and lay asleep with her head on my chest. I moved her hair out of her eyes and gently ran my fingers down her smooth face. I bent over and kissed each of her eyelids which soon fluttered open.

"Hey baby, it's 8:30." She smiled at me and slowly lifted herself off the bed.

"Well, we better get a move on then - if we want to catch that flight." I grinned, knowing how much I looked forward to it.

First, we packed, which didn't take very long because we were going for only five days. We managed to pack everything into a backpack. We dressed and by 9:30, we were driving towards the airport.

"I can't believe I'm going to New York after so long! This is going to be wonderful!" She had that stunning smile on her face and her eyes were full of excitement.

"You know, it's so wonderful to see you happy like this." She looked at me, smiling. For awhile, I took my glance off the road and stared into her intense brown eyes. At times like this, I had a strong urge to pull her closer, to become oblivious to the rest of the world and get lost in our own. Suddenly, she switched her glance to the road and pointed, motioning that I should probably concentrate on my driving, which caused me to laugh.

"So, how old did you say Daniel was?"

"Oh - well, he just turned two a few months ago."

"Wow - two and he's already so hyper." We both laughed, only to be interrupted by my ringing phone. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the vibrating cell phone and flipped it open.

"Leave it to AJ to be calling us now." I grinned evilly.

"You think I should pick it up?"

"Nick! It's AJ - pick up the phone!"

"Hmm . . . I don't think it's really necessary. We can call him later."

"No, come on, pick it up! He's the one who bought us those tickets!" She quickly grabbed the phone from my hand, and before I could notice she had taken it, she answered the phone.

"Hi AJ."

"Hey Fiona - how you doin? Are you guys on your way?"

"Yea, we are just about a couple of minutes away from the airport. We should be getting there pretty soon."

"Great - how's Frack?"

"Well, why don't you ask him?" She handed the phone to me.

"McLean, my man, what's up?"

"I'm surprised you are awake right now - God, that girl is doing wonders."

"Yea, much more than that." I heard AJ laugh.

"Well, Kevin's here - so me, him, and Daniel are gonna head out. Have fun in NY."

"We sure will." I hung up the phone as I approached the parking lot terminal. I handed the man at the booth a five dollar bill and proceeded into the lot. When I finally parked the car, I took the bag and then held out my arm to Fiona.

"Shall we?" Smiling, she linked her's with mines and we walked, together, inside the airport.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The flight was only a couple of hours long. Since we were in first class, we couldn't say that it wasn't adequate. But, since waking up early was taking it's toll, I felt extremely sleepy. I relaxed my head onto Fiona's lap, knowing she wouldn't disagree. I not only felt comfortable, but so tranquil and relaxed, knowing that the person I loved most was right next to me.

I slept for a good four hours before I heard a female voice on a loudspeaker telling all passengers that we had arrived at the airport. We put our coats on, knowing that New York City wasn't all sunshine and warmth as it was down under in Orlando.

As we had our bag and passports checked, I noticed that crowd of those who were leaving the city was enormous. It was actually quite logical because the holiday season was only about two weeks ago, so this was the time when most of those who had come as tourists or to celebrate with their families were heading back home. When all of that was done, we walked out of the airport and motioned for a taxi. I turned to Fiona.

"Well, where shall we head out ma'am?"

"Hmm . . . Manhattan!"

"Whatever you say goes." The driver understood and, grinning, drove us to our destination. We stopped in front of the Sheraton Hotel and I gave the driver his dues. As the two of us got out of the cab, we looked at the thin sheet of snow on the ground and took in the awesome view of the city. The skyscrapers lived up to their name and, since it was 8:00 p.m. and had gotten dark, the dazzling lights made everything seem more wonderful.

"Wow - isn't it spectacular?" I nodded - it really was. We walked inside the enormous building and up to the receptionist's desk to get the keys for the room AJ had booked for us.

"Hello! How may I help you?" The perky voice of the receptionist took me by surprise.

"Oh, hi. Umm . . we have a room booked here and I would like to get -"

"Excuse me, but aren't you Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys?" God, the trouble with the city is that the fans are lurking in every corner, ready to pounce on you at any second.

"Hehe, no kidding."

"Oh my god, wow! This is so incredible! Oh - I'm sorry, I just am a really huge fan, I have all of your albums and singles, and this is just so cool!"

"That's ok. Good to know we have such dedicated fans. But, if you don't mind - " I lowered my voice to a hushed tone.

"I'd like to keep a low profile right now." She quickly nodded.

"Of course! So may I be of any assistance?"

"Oh, yes. We have a room booked and I would like to get the keys for it." She typed up my name in her computer.

"Yes, your room is on the 42nd floor, room number 472, and here are your keys. It was great meeting you and I hope you have a good time."

"Thanks." As Fiona and I walked into the elevator, I heard her giggling.

"So, you see what I go through, and your laughing?" She stopped giggling but her cheeks were a rosy pink and she couldn't keep the smile off her face.

"You know, it's really neat how everyone knows you and likes you so much at the same time." I smirked as we stepped down the elevator and walked towards the room.

"Well, you're not so different yourself." Fiona looked at me, confused.

"I mean, anyone that meets you, you plant a smile on their face. And, I can say with full confidence, that the minute a guy meets you, you'll make him go crazy for you." She blushed at what I said.

"Well, that's not really true." I opened the door to our room.

"It is true, that's what you did to me." I closed the door, and held Fiona against the wall of our room, pressing against her with my body. I changed my voice to a more low, seductive tone.

"Maybe you could teach me some of your tricks." I nuzzled her neck with my nose. She laughed, and I led my mouth to her lips and kissed her. She kissed me back and put her arms around my neck. I deepened the kiss with full passion and put my arms around her waist. I felt her fingers running through my hair, and she made me want her so much.

I led her to the bed, still kissing her deeply. My hands began to travel underneath her shirt and upwards. When she felt my fingers on her breasts, she hesitated and pulled away slowly from our kiss.

"Nick, I don't think I'm ready for this." I understood and nodded.

"Do you want to sleep together, you know, like we did last night?" She smiled and nodded and then laid down next to me on the bed. I smiled at her and loosened her hair, which was tied in a bun, letting it all fall down loosely around her. I ran my fingers through it while gazing into her beautiful eyes.

"So, shall we explore New York tomorrow?" She nodded happily, the twinkle in her eyes returning. I softly kissed her lips before the two of us fell into a calm and wonderful sleep, lost in each other's embrace.