- Text Size +
13



The Cop and a half








The next morning when Kevin was handed his new case, he felt refreshed, for the first time in a while not dreading a start to a new work day. He also got a pretty good night’s sleep. He and Howie stayed up for quite a while chatting while watching television, just like they used to when they were kids.



When they were younger Howie slept over the Richardson house so often he had his very own bed there in Kevin’s room. Jackie used to refer to him as her adopted son, feeding him his meals, sometimes bringing him to school and picking him up after school.



It’s not like Howie had a horrible home life or anything, the two were just that close.



So it felt good spending some time with D at his place, ordering Chinese and watching stupid movies that were only reserved for really late at night.



They talked about life, love and family. All the things that were most important to the both of them. Howie currently lacking in the girlfriend department, had no sympathy for Kevin’s situation with his flight attendant but both couldn’t help but make fun of AJ and the crush he had on Nick’s girlfriend’s sister. Poor AJ, it was just so easy to pick on that kid.



Howie being an only child, claimed Kevin’s brothers as his own most times and he did tend to get along best with the relative badass of the family.



“Good maybe you can talk some sense into him one of these days.” Kevin said as he had made his way to his office.



“But half the fun is watching the two of you fight. What a boring world it would be if AJ suddenly started making sense and doing the right thing.”



“Yeah tell that to my mother. He’s driving her nuts.”



Howie laughed, “I’m going to grab a coffee want one?”



“Cream, one sugar.”



“Gotcha, I’ll be right back.” Kevin nodded and made his way into his office throwing his jacket on the chair and sitting down.



This new case was going to be so much easier than the baby killer case. Now he found himself able to say that without shuddering. This one was a series of high tech bank robberies. Millions of dollars stole but not one casualty. There would be no morgue visits for this one. He let out a deep breath and looked at his calendar once again smiling when he saw the words terminal three 5 o’clock.



He wasn’t exactly sure how he would explain his current living situation to Lisa, maybe he would tell her the truth. It’s not like he would share that info with his family but with Lee it was different. Howie walked in with the coffee and two donuts, “I grabbed these from Tom’s desk, think he’ll notice?”



Kevin laughed, “Oh yeah he’ll notice.”



Just then his phone rang; he picked it up only to hear his mom on the other end.



“Mom?”



“Hey baby.”



“Is everything all right?” He looked at the time on his overhead clock to see it was nearing ten, very uncharacteristic to hear from his mother this early.



“Actually I’m in a bit if a bind and I was hoping you could help.”



“What is it mom?”



“I was called in today baby because we are so short staffed. I was supposed to pick Nicky up at noon from school but now I can’t. They had an early dismissal today. ”



“But I’m at work too.”



“I know…Mrs. Nicosia…Patty’s mom said she could pick Nick up but the only thing is she has to be somewhere at 3 so I was wondering if you could maybe pick him up at 2?”



“I suppose I could bring him back to my office for a little while. I’m not working on anything too intense and just plan on doing paper work today anyway.”



“Thank you SO much sweetheart you have NO idea how much I appreciate this.”



“You will be done before 5 though right? Because I have plans for 5.”



“Plans?”



“Yeah mom…plans.”



“Do these plans involve that lady?”



“Mom not now…just answer my question please.”



“I will try to get out of here by 5.”



“More than try okay? But I guess even if you aren’t home I could drop him with Brian or AJ?”



“Brian has basketball practice and then play practice so does AJ so they both won’t be home until 7 or so. I’ll be home by 5 honey okay?”



“Okay mom…oh I need the address to Patty’s.”



He jotted down the address and hung up with his mother. Howie was watching the conversation amused, “So I am thinking we are going to have company this afternoon?”



“Yeah, Nicky is coming.”



“Fun…wow I’m glad we aren’t working on that case anymore.”



“I know right? He wouldn’t be coming here if that was the case.”



“Is that going to be okay with Rob? Having Nicky here?”



“It’s going to have to be, she got called in.”



Jackie Richardson used to be a nurse in the emergency room at the local hospital. She was a damn good nurse as well. Her hours used to be long and hard, between her job and his father’s job, Kevin rarely saw either one of them when he was Nick’s age. He used to have a babysitter; her name from what he could remember was Jolly as in Jolly old St. Nicholas. He had a huge crush on Jolly.



As he got older he longed less for Jolly and more for his mom, who was constantly working double shifts since she had become head nurse. His parents fought often over that.



When Brian was born she decided to cut her hours down a bit and then by AJ she had gone part time.



Kevin was sometimes jealous of that, the fact that he grew up so different from his younger brothers.



The night his father died, his mother decided that nursing wasn’t for her any longer. She retired to be a stay at home mom, now with a new baby and two smallish children, her life needed to be different and luckily with her husband’s insurance and pension she was able to stay at home and be fine financially.



Once Nick started school, Jackie began helping out again as a nurse but this time at a private practice. She worked three days a week, making sure she was able to take Nick to school and bring him home.



Kevin knew that deep down inside she missed that old life and wouldn’t be surprised if once Nick was old enough to take care of himself she went back to work full tilt.



After doing a fair share of work and already finding a ton of missed leads in his new case, Kevin went to Rob who luckily had no problem with Nick coming and spending time as a deputy. He even gave Kevin a little badge to let his brother wear.



“Wow he’s going to love this.” Howie said placing the badge on his own jacket making Kevin roll his eyes.



“How come we don’t get these things?”



“Maybe some day D…maybe someday. I’m off to grab him, want to come?”



“Yeah unless there’s something you need me to do here?”



“Not yet, so come along for the ride.”



They arrived at Patty’s house at a little before 2; both kids were playing on the porch unattended which once again made Kevin grimace. He knew that after what his brother went through earlier though, he would never walk away with a stranger again.



“So that’s Patty huh?”



Kevin nodded and smiled.



Howie squinted and laughed, “Are they kissing?”



“No!” Kevin said turning towards his brother who was kissing his girlfriend on the cheek.



“Wow Kev, your brother is going to be a play boy when he gets older.”



“What a little stud muffin!”



When Nick saw his brother sitting in the car he got all excited and ran into the house to get Patty’s mom. He came out holding her hand and walking towards the car. Kevin got out and shook hands with the woman.



“Your little brother is very excited to be spending the day with you.” She said smiling down at Nick.



“Hey little man…you just about ready?”

“Yes just a second.” He said running back towards the house.



“Thanks for taking him today.”



“Not a problem, we love having Nicky here. I don’t know what my daughter would do without him.”



“I’m Kevin by the way…this is my partner Howie.”



“Partner through work not partner for life.” D was quick to add which made Kevin laugh. Howie was always so afraid of being considered gay. He needed a girlfriend.



“Your mother has told me so much about you Kevin…she is so proud of you. My name is Anita by the way. I’m sorry my husband is out of town. I know he would have loved to meet you.”



“Maybe some other time.”



“Yes I was telling your mother that you should all come to dinner someday. Since I have a feeling we will be in-laws eventually.”



Just as Anita said that, Nick and Patty hand in hand went running towards Kevin and Howie giggling and smiling as Patty helped Nick put his backpack on.



“Okay well I have to get back to work buddy so give Patty a hug so we can get on the road.”



Nick grabbed Patty in a hug, “I love you.” He said which made all the adults awe.



“Love you too.” Patty said kissing Nick’s cheek.



“Okay that’s enough the two of you.” Anita said grabbing onto her daughter who laughed as she hugged her mother.



“I’m going to be an FBI guy now Patty, see ya tomorrow.”



“Have fun and be careful my Nicky pooh bear.”



Both little kids giggled which had Howie doing the same.



“Make sure you put your seatbelt on,” Kevin said as he waved to the Nicosias.



“And look what I have here for you Nicky,” Howie said making sure Nick was strapped in and then handing him the badge.



“Whoa!” Nick was in awe grabbing the badge and putting it in his pocket.

“It’s cool isn’t it?”



“Yes!”



“Did you have a good day today lil man?” Kevin asked looking at Nick through his rear view mirror.



“I had an awesome day! I found sticky tack!”



“So that makes it a good day huh?”



“Yup... I love that stuff.”



“You don’t eat it do you Nicky?”



“Duh Howie! Why would I eat sticky tack? What a silly question.”



Kevin laughed, “Yeah duh Howie! Seriously…”



They got back to the office where Nick was the instant entertainment for everyone on staff. They all swarmed around him, gave him candy and told Kevin repeatedly how adorable his little brother was. Of course Nick hammed it up by standing on Maria’s desk and singing for all of them a brand new song he learned about a marshmallow.



“Kevin can I take him home with me?” Ariana whispered as she laughed at the little dance he was doing.



“Wow he’s really turning on the cute isn’t he? Yes you can take him home if it’s past four and he’s still here!” Kevin said shaking his head at his brother.



“Sounds like a deal to me!”



“Come on ham boy they need to get back to work and so do I. Shows over.”



Kevin’s comment was met with boos from the mostly female crowd gathered around ogling at the tiny child. But all of them applauded Nick as he bowed. Howie walked over to the desk and allowed Nick to jump on his back and together they all walked into Kevin’s office.



“Remember before I leave I want a work up of those names I gave you on my desk” He said to Maria who he could swear called him a jerk as he was walking away.



“Kevin I feel like I have something on my back…do I have something on my back?” Howie asked pretending to shake Nicky off.



“Yes you do and it’s laughing really loudly.”



“Ah!” Howie said once again shaking around making Nick’s legs fly back and forth and sending the 8 year old into hysterical laughter.



“Howie with all the candy he just ate if you keep that up he’s going to puke all over you.”



“Wow you’re no fun Kevin.” Howie squatted down to let Nick climb off his back.



“I guess I should finish up my work too. I’ll see you later captain,” Howie saluted to Nick who saluted back.



“Nicky why don’t you take out your homework or something, I won’t be too much longer okay?”



“I don’t have any homework tonight.”



“Oh…well maybe a book?”



“I can draw, do you have crayons?”



“Sorry I left my crayons home today Nick.”



“I might have some,” Nick plopped down on the floor and started going through his backpack in search of something to keep him occupied.



“What’s with all the dancing before?”



“I thought they would like that.” Kevin laughed.



“Well good call because they did.”



Tyler knocked on the door and entered before being invited in, “Hey Kevin I have a question for you.”



“Okay shoot.” He glanced over at his little brother who was preoccupied with the piece of sticky tack he had found. Rolling it into a ball and throwing it in the air.



“It’s about the baby killer case.” Kevin once again glanced over at Nick who seemed not to have heard that, then back to Tyler looking annoyed.



“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize you had company.”



“That’s okay…this is my brother Nick…Nicky.” Hearing his name had Nick look up and smile, he was lying on his belly and sat up and yawned, probably from boredom.



“Hi Nick.”

“Hi.”



“So what did you need to ask me?” Kevin asked walking around his desk and towards the door after Tyler motioned that it wasn’t something his brother should hear.



“I’ll be right back Nicky.”



“Kay.”



Kevin closed the door and stood outside peering at his little brother on the floor before turning his attention back to Tyler, “So what’s the deal?”



“Do you know this woman?” He gave Kevin a picture taken from the lobby of the building. She was tall and wearing sunglasses and a long dark coat.



“No, she doesn’t look familiar why are you asking?”



“Because I was running through surveillance footage of the day that letter came here about Sheila being dead and this woman was registered as coming to see you. But she didn’t did she?”



“Nope…you think she’s the one that delivered that envelope?” Kevin asked once again studying the woman making sure he really hadn’t seen her before.



“I think so yes, so now we are going to try to track her down. She put her name in the book, she had to, so now it’s only a question of is she really who she says she is.”



“Well, let me know what you find out.”



“I will…so why is he here today?”



“Babysitting emergency.”



“Not exactly the best place for a child you think?” He hated when Tyler talked down to him. They always had a friendly competition going on, always trying to out do each other.



“I know but you gotta do what you gotta do.” He was not about to defend himself to this guy.



He walked back in and smiled at his brother who looked bored to tears, “I’m sorry buddy I just have to finish this and I’ll take you home okay?”



“Can we go back to your house?”



“Not tonight buddy, I’m afraid I have plans tonight, but maybe another time okay?”

“Kevin is this what you do all day?”



“Pretty much.” Nick stood up and walked over to his brother motioning that he wanted to sit on his lap. Kevin pulled out his chair and helped his brother climb up onto his lap.



“Then I’m not going to worry about you anymore unless you can die from boredom!”



“Where do you pick this stuff up from? Oh never mind… I forgot you spend all day with AJ.” He said laughing at what Nick just said.



“I feel bad because I didn’t make you anything so here’s my sticky tack if you want it.” Nick said handing over the glob of tack as if it was some prized jewel.



“You don’t have to give me something every time I see you baby.”



“Will you buy me a toy?”



“That was random…why do you ask?”



Nick shrugged and hugged his brother, “I don’t know.”



“Maybe we’ll stop at a store on the way home…but just one thing okay?”



“Yay!” Kevin shook his head disgusted about the way this kid had him wrapped around his finger.



Howie walked in and smiled at the pair, “Am I interrupting a moment?”



“Kevin is buying me a toy!” Nick said excitedly walking over to Howie and giving him a hug.



“Wow lucky you! Kev...your mom’s on the phone.”



“Oh okay thanks D.”



“I was talking to her for awhile; she was grilling me about Lisa.”



“I bet.”



“Hey mom.”



“Hi sweetheart, I hear Nick was a hit at your place huh?”



“Yeah he has certainly been that.”



“Babe…look I’m not going to make it home until after 5!”



“Mom! You promised!”



“I know love but I can’t leave if I leave there will NO nurse on duty!”



“Can’t I bring him there?”



“No way, there is some kind of horrible flu going around and I don’t want him around all of these sick people. I won’t be too much later than 5 honey. I’m sure your friend won’t mind the extra company.”



“But I haven’t seen her in a few days.”



“You’ll live. Please do this for me? I don’t ask for much Kevin.”



“Fine! But you need to call my cell the instant you get home!” He was mad and yelling at his mom now. He felt bad but he couldn’t help it. He even hung up on her before she could talk to Nicky.



Kevin looked up to find both Nick and Howie staring at him, Howie annoyed and Nick hurt. “Howie what are you doing in about an hour?”



“Working remember? You scheduled me to work late tonight?”



He looked over at Nick and smiled, “Hey Nick I’m sorry, you know I’m not mad at you, I just had plans that’s all.”



“I was going to give you my sticky tack and everything.” Nick said pouting.



“Okay how about two toys? But don’t tell your brothers because I don’t want them thinking I play favorites.” Nick smiled and ran back over to Kevin giving him a huge hug.



Oh to be young and able to be bribed by toys and have finding a glob of sticky tack constitute having a good day he thought as he hugged his brother back. Not sure how Lisa was going to feel about having an uninvited guest for dinner.



I'll try to be back on Sunday with chapter 14 but if i'm not don't hate me. Real life things....Have a great weekend!