- Text Size +
14



I’ll never break your heart…






Kevin sat behind his desk typing out his final notes about the bank robberies and wondering if he should call Lisa and warn her about having his little brother show up for dinner. In an act of desperation he had even considered just leaving him at the office with Howie, sure that between Howie and Ariana, Nick would be well taken care of, but once realizing how stupid that idea was he just resigned himself to the fact that his romantic night was squelched.



He glanced down at Nick who was using his backpack as a pillow. The poor kid had fallen asleep from total boredom. Serves my mother right now! He’ll be up all night for her… he thought while an evil smirk crossed his face.



Howie opened the door and quietly closed it behind him when he heard the snores coming from the floor.



“We’re that exciting huh?”



“I guess so.”



“Just wanted to come in and say have a great time.” Howie sat down across from Kevin before continuing, “And here is the paperwork you asked Maria for.”



“I think I heard her call me a jerk before.”



“You might have heard right,” Howie said shrugging which made Kevin laugh.



Howie stood up, ready to walk out the door, “By the way I finally did it.”



“What did you do?” Kevin asked looking at the results of Maria’s paperwork.



“I asked Ariana out.” That made Kevin look up and smile.



“You did?”



“Yup…we’re going out tomorrow night.”



“That’s awesome man…I knew she’d say yes!” Howie had wanted to ask the secretary out forever, ever since she was hired almost a year ago. He and Ariana seemed to hit it off very well but still there was a shyness that the both of them shared.



“I actually have to thank your little brother over there. She was just glowing and laughing and I couldn’t resist.”



“You can buy him a toy, I’m sure that’s what he would like.”



“Yeah either that or sticky tack,” Howie said leaving the room.



“That kid,” Kevin said once again looking at the child sleeping peacefully on the floor, Kevin’s jacket draped over him and big enough to almost cover him completely head to toe.



“I think you are going to be as short as your other two brothers’ kiddo,” He said walking over to Nick, bending down and lightly shaking him awake.



The 8 year old groaned and stirred, gradually opening his sleepy blue eyes, wiping away the tears from a huge yawn as he sat up. “Is it time to go yet?”



“Just about…let’s go into the bathroom and clean you up a bit, you have chocolate on your shirt and some on your face still.”



“I like chocolate.”



“I know.”



They ventured into the bathroom smiling and waving at everyone along the way, “Wow you made quite an impression on everyone here.”



“What does that mean?” Nick asked once again yawning and shaking his body like a wet dog.



“It means they really liked you.”



“Oh, well I AM cute Kevin.”



Kevin laughed and ruffled Nick’s hair, “Yes you are.”



In the bathroom Kevin wet a paper towel with some soap and gently cleaned his brother’s face and shirt before running his hands through his own hair. He so wanted to have sex today but that was not going to happen. “Maybe next time…”



“What?”



“Never mind…now Nicky listen to me, Lisa doesn’t know you’re coming with us to dinner tonight so I want you to be on your best behavior okay?”



“Who’s Lisa?”



“She’s the girl we are going to pick up now.” He opened his car door and watched as Nick climbed in and buckled himself up in the back seat.



“Is she nice?”



“Yes but she doesn’t know you are going to be there.”



“So does that mean she’ll be mean to me?”



“No.”



“Where are we going?”



“To the airport.”



At the mention of the airport, Nick’s eyes grew wide and a huge excited grin spread across his face. “Airplanes? Can we go to Disney Kevin please?” He asked jumping up and down in his seat.



“No, we are just going to pick her up there Nick, we aren’t taking a plane,” Kevin said driving away from the parking lot and towards the airport.



“That sucks man!”



“What did you say?”



“I said that sucks man…AJ taught me to say that when I don’t get my way.”



“How grand of him.” Kevin rolled his eyes, “I suggest you don’t say that in front of mom otherwise you’ll get a smack and a well deserved one at that.”



“AJ says that in front of mom all the time and he never gets slapped.”



“Well he should.”



“Can I slap him?”



“Yes Nicky, you have my permission to slap AJ the next time he says that.”



“Goody!”



They arrived at the airport twenty five minutes after five. Kevin parked and then pulled Nick along staring at his watch and knowing Lisa was not going to be pleased. She was standing there arms crossed right in front of the sign that read terminal three, her small suitcase lying next to her on the floor. She smiled a curt smile and then looked down at Nick baffled.



“Hey baby,” Kevin said walking over and giving her a kiss on the cheek. She wrapped her arms around him and returned the kiss on the lips which had Nick giggling.



“I’m sorry we’re late babe…there was a little traffic.”



“I wasn’t waiting that long…” She motioned towards Nick who continued to smile at the two of them as if he was watching a movie.



“Ooh, sorry…Lee this is my brother Nicky, you know I’ve told you all about him.”



She smiled and walked over towards Nick bending down and grabbing his hand in hers.

“Very nice to meet you Nick…I’m Lisa.”



Nick smiled and then grabbed her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek.



“Oh my goodness,” She said as Nick pulled away and looked up at his big brother, “Can we go eat now? I’m really hungry my belly has been talking to me since we got into the car.”



“What’s your belly saying exactly?” Lisa asked already falling in love with the small blonde.



“It’s saying feed me ice cream!” Lisa laughed as she stood up.



“Lee, I’m sorry about this, my mom got called into work at the last minute and there was no one else to watch him.”



“Oh…okay,” She didn’t seem mad but disappointed. Kevin closed his eyes for a second realizing that she wanted that sex as badly as he did.



“I’ll make it up to you.”



“You better buster!” When she said that his mood lightened up a bit. He really needed to stop doubting his girlfriend.



“So where are we going?” She asked as Nick grabbed both her hand and Kevin’s hand as they walked back towards the car.



“Well we did have reservations at Shay’s for 6 but I’m thinking French is out of the question tonight.”



“Can we go to McDonalds?”



“No Nicky, no Mickey D’s tonight.”



“Please?”



“No.” Nick pouted but continued walking on, “Lisa you pick it doesn’t matter to me.”



“Say McDonalds,” Nick whispered which caused Kevin to shake his head.



They ended up going to a Friendly’s restaurant, sitting in a booth; Lisa and Kevin on one side and Nick on the other. Kevin had his arm wrapped around his girlfriend who seemed distant and quiet.



“I have been calling you, how come you never answered your phone?”



“I’m having phone problems babe.”



“I called your office looking for you and a guy named Tyler said you were probably at Howie’s getting ready. Why would you be at Howie’s?”



Kevin looked over at Nick as he slurped on his milk shake listening in on the conversation. There was no way he could be honest with her with his kid brother right there.



“I have no idea.”



“You aren’t hiding something from me are you?”



“Honey…do you think we should really be talking about this now?” He motioned over towards Nick who burped almost on cue.



“Say excuse me.”



“Excuse you,” Nick started laughing which made Lisa smile.



“Oh I have a joke Patty told me, she’s my girlfriend Lisa.”



“You have a girlfriend?”



“Yup,” He said nodding proudly.



“So this is the joke, what do you get when you have two fluffy puppies and a box of toys?” Nick looked from one to the other waiting for an answer. When none came he blurted out, “A whole lot of fun!” Then started to laugh hysterically.



The two adults looked at each other and smiled, “That was a good one lil’ man.” Kevin held out his hand so Nick could slap it which he did and hard.



When Kevin turned back to Lisa, she leaned in close but was surprised about what she whispered in his ear, “Kevin have you been cheating on me?”



He quickly pulled back all defensive, “What? No! Why would you even say that?”



Her mood turned a bit cold, “Because you act like every other man who has ever cheated on me.”



Nick tilted his head and looked at both of them confused by the sudden change in attitudes.



“I’m not cheating on you but can we discuss this later?”



“Later? Kevin…you never return my calls.”



“I mean after I drop Nick off.” He motioned to his brother to remind Lisa that this was an inappropriate conversation they were having.



“Kevin, my tummy hurts and I have to go to the bathroom.”



He ignored his brother for a minute once again focusing on his girlfriend, “Lee, be reasonable...I can’t really go into it now but I promise I will level with you.”



“So you are hiding something then?”



“Kevin…I really have to go!”



“In a minute Nick.”



“Now! Kevin please I’m going to have an accident.”



“Take him…I’ll be here I promise.”



“I can go alone its right there,” Nick said pointing at the sign. Kevin glanced up to see they were sitting right across from the restrooms.



“Okay go ahead, I’ll be right outside the door.” Nick shot out of the booth and darted for the men’s room holding his crotch as he did.



Kevin quickly stood up and moved right outside the door, he wasn’t going to take any chances although his paranoia level had already gone down just by not working on that case anymore.



Lisa came and stood next to him, “I’m not cheating on you honey, my phone was confiscated because someone broke into my house. I didn’t want to say that in front of Nick but I’m staying with Howie.”



“Someone broke in to your apartment?” Kevin nodded.



“Why didn’t you call me right away when that happened? Why am I just hearing about it now?”



“Well…because you were gone and I didn’t want you to worry and…”



“Kevin that’s bullshit and you know it! You don’t tell me anything because you don’t think to tell me anything.”



“That’s not true.”



“Yes it is! You know it is. I think all I am to you is an easy lay Kevin.”



“Lee…”



She was really worked up now, “You know what? Forget this…I thought we could do it but there’s just too much stuff.”



“I don’t understand what you mean?”



“You don’t trust me Kevin…I am about tenth down on your list of things to do, literally and I need someone who will put me first.”



“So that’s it? You’re breaking up with me in front of a bathroom in a Friendly’s?”



“Take care Kevin…” She said walking away from him without even glancing back.



“How are you going to get home?”



“I’ll call a cab!”



And that was it, she was gone.



Kevin let out a big sigh and knocked on the bathroom door, “Nicky are you almost done?”



When there was no answer he knocked again this time a little more forcefully, “Nick! Come on, answer me!”



Now in full fledged panic ready to break the door down Kevin was about to ask one more time when the door gently clicked open to a crying Nick. “Why didn’t you answer me?” He asked the child ignoring the fact that the kid was crying.



“My tummy hurts and I threw up!” That’s when Kevin noticed the smell; there was vomit on Nick’s shoes and his shirt and all over the bathroom.



“Oh…my…okay everything is going to be okay Nick. Come on let’s get you home.”

Kevin apologized about the mess in the rest room and made a mental note to never go to that particular Friendlys again. He had managed to clean Nick up a little and took his shoes off and put them in a plastic bag.



Nick sat in the back of the car whimpering and then he asked, “Where is Lisa?”



“She went home.”



“She didn’t like me did she?”



“She liked you a lot; it’s me she doesn’t like.” Kevin said that last part more to himself before turning to face his brother while stopped at a red light, “How are you feeling? Do you need to throw up again?”



“No…but I want my mommy.”



“I know we’re almost home Nick.”



“Kay.” He said sitting in the back as he cried.



They walked into the house at almost 7, Nick still crying. When he saw his mom, he really lost it and went flying into her arms. She picked him up and kissed the top of his head. “Mommy’s going to make it all better my sweet baby boy,” She said walking up the stairs with Nick in her arms as if he was 3 years old. “Kevin! Don’t go anywhere I want to talk to you okay?”



He shrugged and plopped down on the couch, “It’s not like I have anywhere else to go anymore!” He was secretly blaming his mother for the breakup, like if Nick wasn’t there everything would have worked out in the end.



He had enough time to flop his shoes off of his feet and place them up on the coffee table when his two other brothers walked in the door arguing.



“You’re such an ass Rok!”



“There is no way in hell I’m letting you drive my car AJ.”



“I have my damn permit.”



“That’s not good enough for me, I don’t care if you have been driving for ten years you’re still not going anywhere near my car.”



“Technically it’s OUR car. That’s what mom said. Once I get my license we are sharing that bad boy!” Brian happened to look towards the couch just then and saw his eldest brother staring at him amused.



“God Kev…do you ever stay at your own place?”



“I am here dropping off Nicky for your information and mom asked me to stay. How was play practice?”



“Retarded!” AJ muttered jumping over Kevin and landing on the couch next to him.



“Oh and Jay, today Nicky said something very interesting he said that you taught him to say ‘that sucks’ when he doesn’t get his way?”



AJ busted out laughing, “Oh man…did he say it?”



“What do you think?”



“I swear to God I love that kid…he’s better than having a dog.”



“Well your little puppy is puking his guts out upstairs.”



“Okay too much information Kev…weak stomach over here,” Brian said moving over to the recliner and sitting down.



Shortly after that, Jackie came walking down the stairs, “I thought I heard you boys come in. How do you both feel?”



“Good, why?”



“Nick has that nasty flu, poor baby…he’s got a fever.”



“I thought it was just because everyone was stuffing him with candy at work today,” Kevin said looking up at his mom



“I just put him in a bath, he keeps crying about a toy you owe him.”



“Yeah, I told him I’d buy him something.” Both AJ and Brian laughed.



“What?”



“Nothing man…he just owns you I swear.”



“Kevin…come with me into the kitchen and help me put my dishes away.”



“Uh oh…” Both boys murmured when their mother said that. They knew the interrogation would be next.



Kevin followed his mother into the kitchen and handed her dishes as she put them in the proper place. “So Nicky tells me that Lisa left early…that’s her name isn’t it?”



“Yeah mom and she did. We broke up tonight.”



Jackie looked over at her son with concern etching the lines of her face, “What happened? Kevin I’m so sorry if it’s my fault.” Now that she had actually given him an out he couldn’t take it. He knew this had nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with trust.



“It just wasn’t meant to be. We weren’t right for each other… it happens.”



“Well one day you will find the right girl and she will sweep you of your feet baby.” She pulled him close then and gave him a kiss on his forehead. She pulled away quickly and put her hand to it instead, “Oh no baby…how’s your stomach?”



“Why do you ask?”



She gave him a sympathetic look and he shook his head, “No…no. no. no!”



But within an hour there he was kneeling over the toilet with his mother asking him if he was going to be all right.



“Well let’s see mom…my girlfriend broke up with me and now I’m puking my guts up and have a fever…I’d say no to that one!”



“I’m sorry baby…I really am.”



Kevin didn’t answer just stuck his head back into the toilet and barfed.


Enjoy :) because of the time of year i'm going back to updating this story once a week sorry about that :( so i'll be back on Saturday with chapter 15