- Text Size +
15



Sick Day






Kevin lay in bed feeling dizzy and nauseous, it had been about one hour since the last time he was sick and he was trying to will his stomach to calm down enough for him to maybe sit up without having to run to the bathroom.



When his mother told him about this horrible virus that was going around she wasn’t kidding, that was for damned sure. He felt like he was dying, and yes he was a man so that seemed like an acceptable way to feel.



It had hit him fast and hard, first a fever, so small he barely realized he had it until his mom felt his forehead, next the headache followed by the vomiting. That was the worst. Naturally once he got sick he wasn’t going anywhere so AJ was kicked out of his room and it was made Kevin’s. Much to the teen’s displeasure he was sure, but at the moment he didn’t care.



As Kevin was about to close his eyes he heard the door creak open and saw his mother stick her head in.



She looked over towards her oldest son and when she saw his eyes open she ventured into the room, “How are you feeling baby?” She asked sitting on the bed next to him and feeling the top of his head with her lips.



“Mom, you really don’t have to baby me like this, I’m okay.”



“Excuse me, don’t tell me what I can and can’t do sweetheart, you’re my son and sometimes it doesn’t matter how old you are, everyone needs babying every now and then.”



“What time is it?”



She looked over towards the digital clock on AJ’s desk, “It’s almost midnight.”



“Crap!” Kevin said sitting up, “I should call Howie, he will probably wonder why I’m not there.”



“Howie? Is he staying with you?”



“No, I’m staying with him actually.”



“You are? Why?”



“It’s a long story...” Kevin removed his covers and tried slowly sitting up placing his legs onto the floor with the aide of his mom.



“Does this have to do with that girl who dumped you?”



“No mom.” Suddenly he felt a surge in his stomach so he stood up and ran to the bathroom, motioning for his mother not to follow him. He hated feeling so weak and helpless. He was a control freak so whenever he was sick he felt too vulnerable and out of his comfort zone.



Luckily when he was done he felt temporary relief so he walked past his ‘borrowed’ room and down the steps, “Mom I’m calling Howie. I’ll be right back.”



He got down the stairs to find AJ lying on the couch watching TV curled into a blanket, “Oh lookie who’s here…the bedroom stealer!”



“Sorry Jay, it wasn’t my idea.”



“If you get my ass sick I’m going to puke all over you I swear Kevin.”



“Well I guess then I’ll just vomit all over you after you vomit all over me.”



“Gross stop saying vomit you’re making me want to vomit!” AJ said disgusted as he turned the volume on the TV up.



Kevin sat at the kitchen table, trying to ignore the remnants of the smell of a home cooked meal which would usually make him salivate as he called Howie. He talked to his best friend briefly without going into too much detail about the night. Just informed him he wouldn’t be coming back to his place or work the next day.



“You haven’t taken a sick day in forever Kevin; you must be feeling like crap.”



“Yeah you can say that again.”



“So I take it the date didn’t go well?”



“Let’s just say I hope she’s puking her guts up too.”



“Wow that was harsh.”



“I know, but I’m too ill to really have a heart right now.” Howie laughed as Kevin’s head began to throb once again.



“D, can you let Rob know I won’t be in, I was going to call him now but I have to lie down and I’m afraid I won’t wake up in time tomorrow. Just tell him to call me here and give the team this number as well okay?”



“No problem man, do you need anything?”



“Sleep…I just need sleep.”



“Well better go get some then…talk to you tomorrow Bro.”



“Bye.”



As Kevin walked back towards the steps he was stopped by AJ, “Kevin you look like crap.”



“Gee, thanks man.”



“I asked mom if I could stay home and take care of you guys but she told me to take a hike! How horrible is she?”



“Believe me brother; you don’t want to stay around here with this virus. Nick is having a hard time getting to the toilet so you’d be cleaning lots of puke.”



“Thanks for sharing Kevin and at least not using the word vomit, night.”



“See ya tomorrow.” He managed to smile as he made his way back up the stairs.



He looked in on Nicky who was flushed red with fever and luckily asleep. The small light on showed he had a small garbage can next to him because he wasn’t having much success getting to the bathroom in time. Clinging between his arms was the shirt that belonged to their father and his Winnie the Pooh bear that he claimed he no longer slept with, given to him by Brian on his fourth birthday.



Kevin walked in and gently pat his brother’s head feeling sympathy for the kid when he felt the heat radiating off his body.



“Is he all right?”



He nodded at his mother as she made her way into the room, “I was just checking on him.”



“He loves you so much Kevin…seems like all he does is talk about you.” Kevin smiled as he watched his mother walk towards the baby of their family and kiss his head the same way she had kissed his.



“He’s a great kid.” Was all Kevin could think to reply.



She never took her eyes off of her youngest son as she answered, gently caressing Nick’s face, “Yes he is.”



Nick opened his sleepy eyes with a groan and a small whimper, “Mommy I don’t feel good,” he said as he started to cry.



“I know honey…it’ll go away soon.”



“My head hurts.”



She pulled him close to her, “I know.”



Kevin suddenly felt like he was intruding on their moment as his body grew tired from standing, “I’m going to go back to bed,” he whispered at the pair.



“Kevin…” Kevin turned towards his baby brother, his voice so weak it almost killed him to hear it.



“Yeah buddy?”



“I love you.” Jackie smiled at her oldest son and winked as if what she had told him reinforced itself in those words.



“I love you too Nicky…now get some sleep.”



“Okay.” He said before turning his attention back to his mother, “mommy will you stay in here with me tonight?”



“I’ll stay until you fall asleep how about that?” Kevin closed the door as he heard his mom start to sing some made up lullaby. He accidentally knocked into the table holding the Precious Moments figurines knocking all but three onto the floor.



Jackie came out when she heard the crash, alarmed. “Kevin? Are you okay?”



“I’m fine sorry about that. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.”



She helped walk him back to his room, “No worries son, I’ll pick those up you get to bed.”



“Sorry again mom.”



She grabbed his cheeks and kissed him, “I love you sweet bear.”



“Wow you haven’t called me that since I was Nick’s age.”



“Maybe not to your face I haven’t, but you’ll always be my sweet bear!”



“I love you too mom.”



“Get some sleep and I’ll be in to check on you in the morning.”



“Night.”



Kevin walked into AJ’s room and fell onto the bed as if it was the most comfortable thing he had ever come in contact with.



~*~*~*~*~*~






The next morning he woke up drained but yet feeling much better. He sat up and groaned, disappointed that he took the day off. He could have gone into work after all. The clock read almost 11 am which surprised the agent. “Okay maybe I wouldn’t have been able to go into work.”



He stood up, still feeling a bit dizzy but not nauseous, that was a relief. He scratched his butt as he made his way out of the room squinting as the sun came through the slightly opened blinds. He heard his mother’s humming as he walked towards the bathroom and smelled the familiar scent of freshly washed linen as he approached Nick’s room.



Kevin popped his head in watching as his mother changed Nick’s sheets as the little guy looked on still looking flushed yet pale wearing his feetsie polar bear pajamas. When he saw Kevin he walked towards him and gave him a hug.



Jackie looked over at her son and smiled, “You are looking better today Kevin…how are you feeling?”



“Much better…how about you little guy?” Kevin asked his brother who was still clinging to his waist.



“My tummy hurts still and I have a headache.”



“I’m sorry little man.”



“I think I’m taking him into the doctors Kevin, did you want to come too?”



“No, I’m good.”



Jackie, once the bed was made turned it down and motioned for Nick to go back in and lay down, “Okay sweetness back into bed.” She said patting the warm sheets to which Nick didn’t waste time jumping into.



“Mom, I don’t want to go to the doctor.”



“I know baby but we have to get that fever down, besides you know he always gives you a lollipop.”



“Why does everyone give this child candy?” Kevin muttered under his breath.



“Because I’m cute” was his answer.



“I’m going downstairs to make some calls; did anyone call while I was asleep? Anyone from work?”



“Rob called he said he hopes you feel better and that if you need another day take it.”



“Okay thanks mom.” He made his way down the stairs and called work.



Ariana answered the phone and connected Kevin directly to Howie who was doing an endless supply of paperwork.



“Hey how are you feeling?”



“Much better but I’m still a bit drained.”



“No more throwing up your guts though?”



“Nope thank GOD!” Howie laughed, “Well just to be safe don’t come back to my place until you are completely germ free.”



“You are so sympathetic, thanks D.”



“Sorry man, but I hate being sick.”



“Yeah yeah save it, anyway anything I should know about?”



“Not really, the bank guys haven’t done anything for a few days, seems they are letting you get better first.”



“How nice of them…” He paused first before asking, “And how about the baby killer case? Did anything turn up from that?”



“Not that I’m aware of but Tyler hasn’t been in the office all day.”



“Okay…thanks D.”



Once he hung up the phone with his best friend he walked over to his jacket pocket to check his cell phone, hoping that maybe Lisa had changed her mind. Even though he wished his sour stomach on her last night he still felt himself missing her. Maybe he’d call and apologize.



His eyes widened when he saw that he had five messages from the same number. One he had never seen before. He walked over to the phone and dialed but only was met with an endless ringing. “Weird.”



“What’s weird?” Jackie made her way into the kitchen carrying a new bundle of laundry.



“Just got a few calls from a phone number I have never heard of.



“How is that weird? We get hang ups all the time from people.”



“I know I’m just being paranoid but it’s my job I guess.”



“I’ve decided not to take your brother to the doctor unless his fever doesn’t go down, I’m giving him another day, but I was wondering if you could watch him while I go pick up some Tylenol?”



“Sure no problem mom.”



She walked over and kissed her son, “Thanks baby.”



Once she left he ventured back up the stairs with his phone and decided to go lie back down when he was summoned into his little brother’s room.



“Kevin is that you?”



“Yeah buddy is everything okay?”



“Can you stay in here with me please?” Kevin sighed and rolled his eyes, he needed more patience when he wasn’t feeling well.



He opened the door and smiled at the child, “Sure what’s up Nicky?”



“I don’t want to be alone.”



“Okay.”



His cell phone rang again so Kevin quickly checked the number to see it was the same one as earlier. He stood up and clicked open the phone.



“Hello?”



“Get back on the case!” The man said with such animosity and fury Kevin almost wanted to throw his phone across the room to get away from him.



“How did you get this number?” He asked now walking out of the room so Nick couldn’t hear.

“Never mind that stay on the case.” And just like that he hung up.



Immediately Kevin redialed but once again was met with a constant ringing. He tried once more, “Answer dammit!” But yet again no answer.



He called his office getting Howie on the phone. “D, I need you to run a number for me, he called me again this time on my cell.”



“He what?”



“He called again here’s the number…(787)464-2326”



“That’s the number he called from?”



“Yeah”



“Okay hang on.” Kevin held onto the phone as he waited to see who that number belonged to.



“Okay Kev the phone records have that belonging to a Jack Roberts.”



“That might be our guy.”



“Okay I’ll tell Tyler and we’ll get down there right away.”



“Okay hang on and I’ll be…crap no I can’t. I’m watching Nick.”



“And your sick…don’t worry about this one; we’ll take care of it.”



“Be careful D and I want a full report as soon a possible okay?”



“Okay.”



When he hung up the phone Nick was out in the hallway clinging onto his father’s shirt and staring at his older brother. “What’s wrong Nicky?”



“Is someone trying to hurt you Kevin?” He asked as tears filled his eyes.



Quickly Kevin squatted down and let Nick run over to him as he hugged him, “No baby no one’s going to hurt me okay? It was nothing let’s go back inside and I’ll read you a story.”



“Are you sure?”



“Yes I’m sure…come on.”



They both walked passed the table holding the Precious Moments figurines that Kevin had knocked over earlier, not noticing that one was missing from its place.


I'm not sure when i'll be back to update this one, my guess is about a week. Thanks for reading!