- Text Size +
2



Comfort Food








Kevin sat at his desk, staring at the faces of the victims that haunted his dreams. There were four of them, well five now with the new little girl they found yesterday. Each one found bloodier than the next. He clicked from picture to picture just staring at before and after shots, before when they had their lives and futures ahead of them and after when they were nothing but a bloody mess.



“Hey what are you doing?” He looked up to find Howie sitting on his desk and offering him a cup of coffee.



“Just looking at the pictures.”



“Again? Kev, it’s not going to bring them back.”



“I know that but maybe there’s something I missed.”



“You have been over them a thousand times Kev, there’s nothing there, by the way you look like total crap!” He said taking a sip of his coffee.



“Gee thanks, I didn’t get much sleep last night. You?”



“Hardly any…when does it get easier?”



“It doesn’t.”



“Well that’s reassuring thanks Kevin”



“Oh, they think they are getting closer to IDing the little girl.”



“Yeah?”



“Yes, after going into the missing children’s data base we think we found her, we can’t make a complete match yet but forensics is working on it.”



“Good, I hope they figure it out soon, her parents must be distraught.”



“Another thing, I went to the CVS that you got that receipt from, brought a picture of our guy but no one said he looked familiar.”



“I have to go interview some of the neighbors later on, I’m just finishing up my report first.” Kevin looked back at the screen and shut the window displaying the morbid pictures and opened back up to his report. “Oh another thing, we need to pull all of this guys phone records and anything else we can.”



“I’m on it.”



“You rock Howie!”



“Yeah I do.”



“By the way, guess who got caught smoking in the boy’s room yesterday?”



“Uh oh the little rebel is at it again huh?”



Kevin nodded, “My mom is mad, I’m going over there tonight to ‘talk’ to him. Like he’ll listen to me.”



“Just arrest him.”



“Good idea.”



“Tell your mom I said hello and I want to come over for another plate of her lasagna!”



“Will do.”



“Okay I have to get back to work; I’ll talk to you later.”



“Bye D.”



“And Kevin… please stop looking at those pictures. It really won’t do you any good.”



“See ya later.” His friend knew him a little too well sometimes.



One thing Kevin enjoyed as being the detective in charge of the case was that after a huge raid, the next day he had to stay in the office and write reports. He loved being in the field but every once in a while, especially after the day he had yesterday, he didn’t mind the grunt work. It would be nice not going home exhausted and he had a feeling he’d need all of his energy for when he got to his mom’s house.



By the end of the day, he had a name to go with the image stuck in his head. Her name was Mandy Collins, 12 years old and missing for three weeks. The parents had been on the local news begging people for any information they had on her. They were hoping she had just run away since she had a fight with her older brother earlier that day.



“That poor kid is going to feel guilty for the rest of his life.” He said out loud as he sat in the car in his old driveway.



He looked at the picture of Mandy that her parents had used in hopes she would be found, her hair in pig tails with her blue eyes sparkling and newly fitted braces on her teeth. She looked nothing like the dead girl he found in the basement.



“You gonna sit in the car forever?” He looked away from the picture and jumped when his brother knocked on the window of the car. Kevin laid the pictures on the passenger seat and opened the door.



“You were sitting out there for like ever man.”



“Oh stop, I wasn’t out here for too long.”



“Yeah you were… I timed you.” Kevin walked to his trunk, opened it and brought out his laundry basket.



“I can’t believe you are still having mom do your laundry.”



“She offered, now grab this and bring it inside would you?” He said motioning for his brother to take the grocery bag that was on top of the basket.



“I hope you brought something good! Nick ate the last of the cookies mom made.”



“It’s bread Brian…fresh Italian bread.”



“Cool!”



As they entered, the smells of peppers and onions wafted through the entire house which made Kevin smile. She was making his favorite dish, sausage and peppers. “Did mom tell you about Jay?”



“Why do you think I’m here?”



“For free food.”



“Well besides that.”



“She’s pissed at him.”



“I’m sure.”



“I thought I heard you come in…hi sweetie” His mom walked over, wearing her Number One Mom apron given to her by Kevin when he was only 7, and grabbed his cheeks in her hands and kissed him on the lips. “How’s my baby?”



“Good, I brought you Italian bread from Benny’s.”



“Excellent, you read my mind. Brian would you bring those clothes downstairs please?”



“I can’t believe you are going to do his laundry.”



“I do yours too you know.”



“Fine…” She pat him on the butt as he walked by then turned her attention back to her eldest son.



“I don’t know what I’m going to do about your brother Kevin; seriously he has gotten way out of hand.”



“Mom that’s what 16 year olds do. They experiment, I’m sure that will be the first and last time.” He said knowing most likely he was lying.



She walked back into the kitchen as she talked, old pictures that all of the boys had made for her over the years still covered the walls as if they were all still 5 years old. His father’s picture sat on the fireplace along with his badge and a few old pictures of him with the family.



“I have about had it with AJ, I swear all I do is yell and scream at that boy and it goes in one ear and out the other.”



“Mom, everything will be okay.”



“Do you know he got a tattoo? Oh I didn’t tell you that did I? Yes he got a tattoo on his arm! He thought I wouldn’t notice! What does he think I’m blind?”



“He got a tattoo?”



“Yes a skull and crossbones. I think he might be in a gang.”



Kevin laughed, “He’s not in a gang mom.”



“God rest his soul, if your father was alive to see this, it would have killed him.”



“I’ll go talk to him now if you want.”



“No after dinner, yell up and tell him to come down though okay?”



“Sure.”



“And grab Nicky too.”



“Where is he?”



“Where is he ever?” Kevin nodded, knowing that he would find his little brother in front of the TV playing his video games.



Kevin walked up the steps and once again soaked in all that was home to him. Their school pictures were displayed along the walls as you walked up the steps, Kevin’s being the one when he graduated from the academy; all the others had their most recent school picture framed. Every year, his mom would change them out for the most recent one.



She always kidded, but not really, that Kevin’s wouldn’t change until he had his wedding picture up there.



As he reached the top of the stairs he came across the table with all of his mother’s Precious Moments figurines sitting on top of it. That sent chills up his spine. Nick’s door was open as he was lying on the floor engulfed in a video game. He hardly noticed his brother enter the room.



“Hey buddy.” Nick glanced over and looked pleasantly surprised to see his big brother standing there.



“Hi Kevin I didn’t know you were coming over.”



“Yup, I’m here for dinner, which is ready by the way.”



“Okay…thanks.”



Kevin walked over and sat on the bed, and patting it he said, “Hey Nicky come here for a second.” Nick paused his game and walked over and sat down.



“Can I ask you a question?”



“Yeah.”



“Okay let’s say you didn’t know me okay?”



“Uh huh.”



“And I was walking a very cute little puppy.”



“Oh my God!! Is mom getting me a puppy?” His eyes lit up which made Kevin wince.



“No…sorry, I didn’t mean to get you all excited.”



“That was mean.” He said pouting.



“I know, but let’s get back to my question…let’s say I had this puppy and you didn’t know me and I asked you to help me by walking it…would you?”

Nick put his hand on his chin in a contemplative way which made Kevin smile, “Yeah I think I probably would because you wouldn’t ask if you didn’t need the help.”



“Even if you didn’t know me?”



“Well, yeah because we’re supposed to help everyone right? Even if we don’t know them.”



Kevin sighed, “No… wrong answer! If anyone ever approaches you and asks you to follow him you run away do you understand me?”



Nick looked confused by his brother’s sudden serious tone. “Okay but we’re supposed to help; I mean what if he is limping or something?”



“Nicky, there are a lot of bad people out there who try to hurt kids like you.”



“I’m not that small Kevin, I can defend myself.” Kevin wished he never brought up this conversation, knowing it would bother him and keep him up all night now.



“Nick, you have to promise me buddy, that if anyone EVER asks you to help them and you have never seen or talked to that person before, you will run away. Promise me!”



Nick looked at his brother, and nodded, “Okay I promise.” Kevin smiled and hugged the 8 year old. “Okay good, now go get ready for dinner.”



“Kay.” He stood up and walked into the bathroom.



Kevin placed his hand on his temples and rubbed, once again images of Mandy Collins coming to his head. He wondered if that’s how he did it. Maybe he limped and asked for help.



He stood up and headed over to AJ’s room, not surprised when he heard music blaring from the speakers.



He knocked which made the music turn off, “Jay dinner!”



“Crap? Kevin?”



“Yeah it’s me!”



“Great.” He heard the teen mumble under his breath figuring out exactly why Kevin was there.



By the time he got down to the kitchen, the table was filled with food and Brian was already dishing himself a huge plate of potatoes. “Wait for everyone else.”



“I’m hungry mom.”



“If you wait a few more minutes it won’t kill you.”



Nicky came jumping down the steps and hopped into the kitchen plopping himself on the chair next to Brian.



“Hey squirt!”



“I’m not a squirt.”



“Yeah you are.”



“You are both squirts now enough arguing and eat.” Their mom said as she took a seat at the head of the table and opened her napkin on her lap.



“Aren’t we waiting for AJ?”



“No, just eat; he’ll be down in a little bit.”



“I still can’t believe you brought your laundry over, hey mom when I’m thirty will you still do my laundry for me?”



“Hey I’m not thirty… I’m twenty nine!”



“That’s pretty close Kevin.”



“When you’re thirty you’ll still be living at home probably Brian.” AJ said as he walked in and plopped next to Kevin.



“Shut up AJ, at least I won’t be in jail.”



“AJ’s going to jail?”



“No Nicky now eat your vegetables, not just the bread and sausage.”



“Okay mom.”



“Nice of you to grace us with your presence.”



“Bringing in Kevin wasn’t necessary mom.”



“He’s here for dinner sweetheart.”



“Mom, do I have to eat the peppers? I don’t like them.”



“Eat them honey they are yummy.”



“Are you going to buy me a puppy?”



“What? Where on earth did that come from?” Kevin grimaced once again.

Nick pouted and looked over at Kevin who tilted his head and gave a sympathetic smile.



“I want a puppy.”



“Well, I want a car, life is rough squirt.” Nick stuck his tongue out at Brian who did the same to him. Nick giggled his infectious giggle that had the whole table laughing.



As they talked about everything from football to religion, Kevin couldn’t help but think of his family as the perfect comfort food for his soul. He missed being around them all the time. Even AJ who was trying to pull off badass was talking and joking with the same woman who had punished him for life. The relationship they had was perfect.



After dinner while Brian was helping with the dishes, Kevin pulled AJ aside. The 16 year old knew it was coming and wasn’t the least but surprised.



“Smoking AJ?”



“Kevin it’s not a big deal.”



“You got caught and it upset mom that’s enough to make it a big deal isn’t it?”



“We didn’t think we’d get caught.”



“So that makes it okay?”



“Well…no but still, you mean to tell me when you were my age you never tried anything like that?”



“No, I did but not at school.”



“Well I know that was dumb but I told her I was sorry.”



“And a tattoo?”



“Yeah, I wanted one.”



“What’s going on with you?”



“Nothing...we all can’t be perfect like you and Brian.”



“Stop it, just talk to me AJ.”



“There’s nothing to say.”



“Well then stop being an ass and listen to your mother.”



“Well if you want me to listen to her I better get back into my room then, so thanks for the lecture. It’s been a blast.”



“AJ…I mean it, if you need to talk to me about something please call me okay?”



“Yeah whatever Kev…see ya later!” He watched his brother trudge up the steps as he got pounced on by the little one.



“Hey you!” He said squatting down to Nick, “I’m sorry about the dog thing Nicky.”



“Will you buy me a puppy?”



“If I do mom will kill me.”



“Ah well, it was worth a try.” He grabbed onto his big brother’s neck, “Kev will you give me a piggy back up to my room.”



“Sure thing little man…and what do you say if a stranger asks you for anything?”



“I run away.”



“Good boy.”



“And steal his puppy.”



“Okay that deserves a visit from the tickle monster!”



“No!” Nick said running away with Kevin following close behind.



That night as he hugged his mom and walked out of the house with his clean and folded clothes he thanked God for giving him such a great family. It was nice to have something sane and right to go home to after dealing with what he did everyday.


Thanks for the reviews so far on this one! I'll have chapter three up by the end of the week posibly sooner depending on the demand. Have a great week!