- Text Size +
26





The crumpled piece of paper….










Kevin raced to the hospital as quickly as he could; so many things were dancing in his mind that he almost missed the turn off into the parking garage. He sat there for a few seconds, just a few, still staring at the letters he had pulled from the duffel bag. Usually he was so good at picking up hints and finding evidence, how was it that he could not know that all this time his baby brother was holding secret meetings with someone claiming to be his father?



He tried to leave that thought behind now; he had another baby brother who needed him. Kevin quickly placed the letters from his father into his glove compartment and made his way up to see AJ.



Brian greeted him at the door as soon as he entered; he looked tired, a small scruffy beard making its way onto his face. It was odd seeing his brother like that. Usually Brian was so well groomed at all times, the facial hair aged him in some way, just as the entire experience did he was sure.



“I’m glad you’re here.” He said patting Kevin’s back as they walked into AJ’s room.



Jackie was sitting beside her son, holding his hand just as she was when Kevin had left; the only difference was the small hint of a smile on her lips. She wouldn’t allow herself any more than that but it was a start. AJ’s eyes were open but he seemed far away, he barely noticed that both of his brothers had entered his room.



“Hi.” Kevin whispered which made both AJ and his mother turn his way.



“Hey baby.” Jackie stood up and gave Kevin a kiss on the cheek, “Now that Kevin is here I’m going to run to the cafeteria and get some tea sweetheart, you need anything?”



AJ shook his head which had Jackie smile, turning to Brian she motioned for him to join her, “Let’s give them some time to talk.”



Brian was reluctant to leave, you could tell by the slow steps he took as he finally made his way out of the room, leaving Kevin alone with AJ.



“How are you feeling kiddo?” He said walking over and sitting in the seat his mom had vacated.



“I ache,” Kevin wasn’t used to hearing his brother sound so weak. Usually he sounded strong and sure of himself, always ready for a battle.



“I’m sorry little man; do you need me to get a doctor?”



“No, I’m good.”



“What was it you wanted to tell me?”



“Nick, he took Nick and I couldn’t stop him…”



Just the way he spoke those words, with such a sense of defeat underlying each syllable, was enough to make Kevin’s heart break. He sat up and grabbed AJ’s hand in his own, “AJ its okay, I’m sure you did the best you could.”



“Do you know where he is?”



“Not yet, that’s why I need you to tell me exactly what happened, you think you can do that for me?”



AJ thought about that question for a little bit, before laying his head back on his pillow, a small grimace on his lips as he did. “I’ll try…”



“Good, let’s start with how he looked, do you remember?”



AJ nodded, “He was really big, he rang the doorbell and I almost didn’t answer the door, he was so big that I could barely see his head. I shouldn’t have answered the door.”



Kevin instantly knew it was the same guy who blindsided him outside of Lisa’s apartment. “Was he wearing a mask or anything?”



“He was wearing a hat so I couldn’t see his hair, not sure about anything else, everything happened so fast. He was dressed real nice, like he was trying to sell us a vacuum or something. I thought the hat was odd, why didn’t I go with my gut feelings?”



“What did he say? When you came to the door?”



AJ took a few deep breaths which at first scared Kevin thinking maybe his brother was having a hard time breathing before he realized it was just the memories, sending shivers down his spine; that made his grip on his brother’s hand tighten.



“He said he wanted to leave you something, he told me he was one of your friends from work, and so I smiled and let him in.”



“He wanted to leave me something?” AJ nodded, “Yeah, I told him you didn’t live with us anymore but you were here all the time. He laughed, and then asked me if Nicky was there.” AJ closed his eyes as the first few tears fell, “I said yes and then before I knew it the guy pulled out a gun. I had no idea Kevin…if I had known I wouldn’t have let him in.”



“Shhh, its okay baby…it’s okay…tell me what happened after that.”



With his free hand, AJ swiped the tears away as if they were burning his skin and then allowed himself to go back to that place again, “I freaked out, at first I thought he was kidding it had to be a joke…then I remembered what you did that one time asking someone to try to steal Nicky and I thought maybe this was some kind of lame ass lesson you were trying to teach me…but he wasn’t smiling and when he pointed the gun at me, I knew...” He took another deep breath before continuing, “He told me to yell for Nicky and as long as I did that he wouldn’t kill me or Nick. I didn’t believe him, so I wouldn’t do it at first. He grabbed me by my neck, I thought he was going to strangle me, but he whispered in my ear that if he had to go up and get the kid himself I would be sorry.”



The emotional part of Kevin didn’t want to hear another word, didn’t want to know the rest of the story, the story that ended up with one brother being shot trying to save the other one. But yet he had to know, if he was going to save Nicky, he had to know what had happened so as much as he hated to, he pressed AJ for more.



“What happened after that?”



“I didn’t know what to do, its one of those stupid situations you see on every TV show ever made, that split second decision you have to make that’s a matter of life and death, I was afraid if I didn’t do what he said, he would kill us, so I told him Nicky was sleeping and not well and that I would go up and get him. He didn’t like that answer so he pushed past me and headed for the stairs. He aimed the gun at me, then I saw smoke…I didn’t realize he had shot me until I was already lying on the floor.”



AJ broke his hand out of Kevin’s at that point and held his stomach as if reliving the pain. “He walked towards me and I thought he was going to kill me. I just kept saying no…like some kind of pathetic wuss.”



“Stop AJ, anyone would have done the same thing in your position.” The words didn’t do much to help, so Kevin placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder, “You were so brave AJ, I’m proud of you.”



“That’s nothing to be proud of, anyway he got a kick out of it the bastard laughed at me as he placed the gun to my head and asked me if I wanted him to shoot.”



Kevin felt the anger rise in him as AJ continued, “I said please no…and he said maybe he would go get Nicky and kill him first and again I said no…I think I just kept saying no.”



“What happened next?”



AJ turned and looked at his older brother, “He said I was lucky, normally he’d kill someone like me but he wanted me to be able to tell you the story. He said he was going to go get Nicky now and that he wanted me to let you know that he won. He left and went to get Nick, I’m not sure how long he was up there, and I was having a hard time staying awake. I wanted to get to the phone but I couldn’t drag my body that far…so I just laid there and waited. I heard them come downstairs and from the corner of my eyes saw he was carrying Nick and a suitcase. Nicky asked him why I was laying on the floor but the guy said I was taking a nap. Luckily I don’t think Nick saw the blood from that far away.”



“Did it seem like Nick knew this guy AJ? Was he reluctant to go with him? Did he sound scared?”



“I don’t know, he didn’t sound scared only tired. I let them leave…I couldn’t stop him.”



Kevin moved onto the bed next to AJ now and gently hugged him, “You did the best you could AJ, you are lucky he didn’t kill you.”



AJ quickly pulled away remembering something, “When he was whispering in my ear, I noticed something fall out of his pocket. Right before he went for the steps, I grabbed it and put it in my jeans. ”



“You did?”



“Yes.”



“Do you remember what it was?”



“It was paper; it might have even just been a receipt or something, but I think there was a phone number on it.”



Kevin pulled AJ close and kissed the top of his head, “You are a genius AJ! Do you know where those pants are now?”



“I think they gave them to mom…”



“Thanks buddy.”



“Why would someone want to take Nicky? Did you piss someone off Kevin?”



“I don’t know, but I’m going to get him back okay?”



AJ nodded and closed his eyes, “I think I need to sleep Kev.”



“Okay baby, go to sleep…I’ll let you know how everything goes and don’t worry you’re safe now.”



“It’s not me I’m worried about.”



Minutes felt like hours as Kevin waited for his mother to return, he had searched AJ’s entire hospital room for those pants but found nothing and as much as he wanted to leave and ask the nurse’s desk if they had them, He was afraid to leave AJ alone. Probably the worst thing in the world is to wake up in a hospital room all alone after going through something like that.



Finally Brian and his mother walked in, arm in arm looking for the first time a little less stressed, even if only a little. “Did he tell you the story?” Brian asked sounding disappointed that he had missed out on the tale, yet hopeful the information was useful.



“Yes he did and mom I need to know where AJ’s pants are. The ones he was wearing when they brought him in.”



“His pants?”



“Yes, he said he thought you had them.”



“No, they never gave me his clothes, maybe ask the nurses station.”



Kevin nodded, “I’ll be right back.” He walked out of the room and ran towards the station where Patty, the nurse from before was back and starting a new shift. ‘That much time has gone by already?’ Kevin asked himself dreading yet another night like the last one. When she was him she smiled.



“Hello there.” She said almost flirtatiously.



“Hi, didn’t realize it was time for the shift change already.”



“Yup I hate working third shift then second, it’s horrible really.”



“Patty, I was wondering if you could help me out. I’m looking for the pair of pants my brother wore when he was brought in here, do you guys keep that stuff in a special place?”



“Not usually, most times we return it to the families but your brother was part of a crime scene right?” Kevin nodded. “Well then most likely the police took them if your mom doesn’t have it.”



Kevin smiled at the nurse, “Thanks so much for the help.”



Immediately Kevin picked up his cell phone and dialed the office where happily it was Ariana who answered the phone.



“Hey there Ariana, I was wondering if you can look up something for me sweetheart.”



“Kevin we are all so worried about Nicky, I just wanted you to know that.”



“Thanks honey.”



“I’m sorry, what did you want me to look up?”



“Can you check and see if my brother’s clothing from the crime scene is there anywhere?”



“You mean AJ’s? How is he?”



“Yes and he’s doing well, he woke up and we think he’s going to make a quick recovery.”



“Thanks goodness…okay Kevin I see that yes there is a pair of jeans, a shirt and sneakers here with your brother’s name on them.”



“Great! Can you put them aside for me?”



“Certainly.”



“Thanks so much Ariana…do you know by any chance if anyone has been in there to examine the evidence yet?”



“Yup Maria but that’s it.” Kevin’s heart sank when she said that even though, deep down inside he knew. He also knew that when he got there whatever it was that AJ had taken would be long gone.



A tap on the shoulder made Kevin jump and almost go for his gun. Brian took a step back and held his hands defensively in front of him, “Whoa Kev…I’m one of the good guys.”



Kevin immediately relaxed, “I’m sorry Brian, you should know by now never to sneak up on me.”



“I was just coming out to see if you needed my help or anything.”



“No, I’m good. Hey Bri…were you aware that Nicky was hiding stuff under your bed.”



Brian looked confused, “No, he was?”



“Yup in a duffel bag.”



“I had no idea.”



“I’m going out for a little while, if you need me call the cell okay?”



“Sure…Kevin you think what AJ told you might help?”



“I hope so.” He gave his brother a warm hug and then left for the office.



Happily when he arrived, which was around early afternoon, the normally busy office was quiet. Most people were out in the field working on the bank case he had long abandoned or some of the other cases that seemed like small potatoes after having to deal with what Kevin was going through. He walked over to Ariana and smiled at her.



“Hello beautiful.”



“Kevin, hello.” She said standing up and walking out from behind the desk to give him a hug. When they were done embracing she walked back behind the desk and handed Kevin a large plastic bag marked evidence case number 10499. “Here ya go, I made sure to put it back here with me so no one would take them.”



“Thanks so much, I’ll be in my office for a few minutes, don’t let anyone know I’m here though okay?”



“In hiding?” She asked smirking, to which Kevin replied with a wink.



Once in his office he carefully ripped open the plastic and placed gloves on his hands as he did. How he wanted to be wrong about Maria, he almost prayed that he would find something in the pocket. He needed a clue and a phone number would have been a great start, unfortunately just as he predicted, nothing was there, just a few quarters for the arcade that his brother never made it to. He glanced out of the blinds of his office and stared over at Maria’s desk. Maybe she had put it in there, one of the first rules of hiding things, keep everything in plain site and wasn’t it always Maria that said that. ‘Sometimes things are right in front of you Kevin.’ Hadn’t those words come out of her mouth as they sat in Nicky’s room?



Making a quick call to Howie, he knew he was going to try something very risky, but he still had to try.



“D?”



“Hey Kev, how’s AJ?”



“Awake, are you around Maria?”



By the long pause followed by an, “Uh huh…hang on my reception is bad.” Kevin had a feeling that maybe Howie also started to become suspicious of their friend.



“Kevin,” He finally said in a near whisper.



“Yeah, what’s going on?”



“I caught her going through Brian’s room just like you said plus she pretty much ransacked Nicky’s room. She said for your sake she didn’t want to leave any stones unturned. What’s going on Kevin?”



“How long do you think you’re going to be at my house?”



“Not sure, why?”



“Because I need to go through Maria’s desk and I need to be sure that she is nowhere near here when I do.”



“What? Kevin it’s in plain site, how the heck?”



“Let me worry about that okay?”



“Okay, look…I’ll try to stall here as long as I can.”



“Thanks.”



He wasn’t exactly sure how he was going to pull it off either, but that thought soon faded when he saw Ariana walk by his door, he quickly waved her in. He motioned for her to shut the door which signaled that this was going to be another one of those ‘this could get me in trouble’ type scenarios.



“How well do you know Maria?”



“Maria? I’ve known for awhile, probably a little less then I’ve known you why?”



“Is she seeing anyone?” Kevin asked once again eyeing her desk.



“I’m not sure; she likes to keep her life very personal. Kevin why the questions? You want me to hook you and Maria up on a date? We could double date maybe you and Maria and Howie and I.”



“Is Rob in the office?”



“Are you trying to set Maria up with Rob?”



“Ariana…focus please!”



“Sorry, no… Rob is out in meetings all day.”



“Is anyone besides me in the office, well me and you?”



“Not that I’m aware of. Why are you asking these questions?”



“I can’t tell you that but can I ask you a big favor?”



“Sure what is it?”



“Can you go down to the cafeteria and have a cup of coffee on me of course?”



Ariana looked confused and amused. “Kevin you are paying me to take a break?”



“Yes, well not paying just buying you some coffee.”



“You don’t want me seeing you do something is that it?”



“Yeah.”



“Fine, I’ll go take a break but if the phone rings, it needs to be picked up by the 4th one or it goes to voice mail and then I’ll be in trouble.”



“Got it! I’ll just say you were in the bathroom.”



“So I probably shouldn’t ask anything else then huh?”



“Right.” Kevin took out a $10 and handed it to the secretary and the kissed her cheek, “You’ve always been a good friend to me Ariana.”



“I know, I rock.” She winked as she left.



Once the coast was clear, Kevin made his way over to Maria’s desk, not allowing himself to sit down until the area was totally empty. He knew his time to snoop was very limited; he just needed to see if maybe he could find that piece of paper. It was possible that the person who it belonged to had told Maria it had gone missing and to check every inch of the house for it, and then when she didn’t find it she took AJ’s things. That would have had to been done here in the office which means she wouldn’t have had the luxury to hide it anywhere else.



Once he sat down he quickly went to work, looking in the desk drawers, occasionally looking up to make sure no one would catch him. Her drawers were immaculate, everything put in its proper place. Not even a pencil was out of line. There wasn’t a single odd piece of paper to be found. He checked every single draw only to find nothing, not only was their no paper but no trace of a personal life outside of the office, no pictures, no address book, nothing. Why hadn’t he noticed that before?



He heard voices coming down the hall which was his signal to get up and out of there when he saw a small white corner sticking out from under her mouse pad. Kevin moved the pad to find a small and crumpled piece of paper with a few scribbles on it, one of those being Kevin’s mother’s address, and the other a phone number. A small hint of stained pink on the edge no doubt from his brother’s blood.



He quickly took the paper and put it in his own pocket and fled her desk just as two agents walked around the corner into the main room.



Excited to see who would be answering this phone he walked back towards his office when he was met with Ariana, looking sad and very very pale. The first thing that crossed his mind was that someone had caught him in the act and in the process he had managed to get this wonderful woman fired, but that thought was changed when she opened her mouth, placed a loving hand on his shoulder and said, “Oh God Kevin…I’m so sorry.”

Wow! Okay even I thought that was a mean cliffie lmao sorry. And i'm afriad I won't be around next week to update on this one. I'll try to get out an update maybe next Friday for this. Sorry but at least you're getting advanced notice and it's for a good reason. I'll be in NY for a BSB concert yay! As always thanks for the feedback!