- Text Size +
33





The Common Thread






Kevin sat there numb, as agents from his office along with the police combed the latest crime scene. Seemed like the perfect fodder for late night talk show hosts, body found at the morgue details at eleven, but this was no joke.



When Kevin rolled that body over and saw Scott Wilson he lost all hope. At that point, everything happened so fast. Brian, hearing his brother yell in frustration, came running back into the room only to stop cold when he saw the gruesome remains of the man known to the world as the baby killer staring up at him.



Rob tried to usher him away but it was too late. “Oh my God.” The teenager whispered, backing towards the door through which he entered. As much as he wanted to help console his brother, Kevin was too consumed in his own frustration to even know how to deal with the situation.



“I can’t believe this, I just can’t.” He seemed to say over and over again and that was the scene that Howie and the rest of the agents walked in on.



As the flurry of investigators did there job, Brian walked over to Kevin who still had his head down in shock. “Kev…” He whispered, “Who was that guy? Was he your friend or something?”



Kevin looked up and shook his head, “That’s the guy who killed all those kids.”



“The one you think had Nick?” Kevin nodded as he watched a CSI worker take a few more pictures of the dead body.



“The man I saw was the one who killed him….you think?” Once again Kevin nodded. “And the one who probably has Nicky?” he continued when he knew his older brother wasn’t going to say anything more.



“I don’t know anymore Brian.”



Tyler walked over to the two brothers now, looking happy which would have been understandable if a small child wasn’t still missing. “How are you two holding up?”



Brian smiled at Tyler but Kevin showed no emotion at all, “We’re as good as can be expected I suppose.”



“I have someone else ready to take your statement Brian if you have a minute.”



“Again?”



“Yes, we need as accurate a description as you can give us.” Brian nodded and looked over at Kevin.



“Its okay, go ahead with him, then I want you to go sit with AJ, he’s probably really worried.” Kevin finally managed a small smile. There was no arguing from Brian this time but relief on his face, probably happy to be able to leave the grim scene.



“Should we call mom?” Brian asked as one of Tyler’s men led him out of the room for more questioning.



“No, what good would that do?” Kevin replied. Watching as his brother finally left the crime scene while shrugging.



Tyler took a seat next to Kevin which made the younger man almost want to stand up and walk away, “Kevin, I’m really sorry about all of this. You’ll find your brother I’m sure but in the meantime at least we know that this horrible serial killer is dead. Now kids and their parents can rest at night. We found the last little girl he killed. The bastard left her in that house, the one where we also found Maria. She was in the very last room down the hall, I guess you guys didn’t bother going in there?”



Kevin shook his head, “We knew that was the coldest room according to his little game so we skipped it.”



“See? I would have gone into that room first because it was the only room with the door closed, but I guess that’s just me.” Tyler said getting up and walking away.



The way he said it was condescending, almost accusatory, but that’s not what got Kevin’s attention, “How did you know?” He asked the older agent, grabbing his arm.



“Know what?”



“That it was the only door not opened? How did you know that?”



Tyler looked put off by that question, “The report that was filed. Stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy Kevin, it’s getting old.” With that being said, Tyler turned and walked away.



Howie seeing Tyler gone, walked over to his friend, “I told AJ you’d go up and see him when you had a minute, he’s really beside himself with worry.”



Kevin nodded, “Okay, hey D? Did you tell Tyler about the closed door in that house?”



“No, I haven’t even seen Tyler until a few minutes ago.”



Kevin stood up now, never taking his eyes off of the supposed man in charge of this investigation, “I’m going up to see AJ, do me a favor and keep an eye on him.”



“Tyler, why?”



“Just do it okay? If he leaves or anything suddenly I want to know and did someone let my father know what’s going on?”



“I’m not sure.” Kevin nodded and went for the door giving Rob a nod to follow him out, a nod that of course Tyler caught but pretended not to.



“Did you get in touch with my dad to let him know what’s going on?” He asked once an acceptable distance away from any prying ears or eyes.



“I did, he has my car and said he’s going to go back to the cabin and see if he can find any other hints. He told me to let you know not to lose hope.”



“Well that’s easier said than done. That Game Over card didn’t make me too happy.”



Rob nodded, “Me either but maybe that just means to him, this is about over. Maybe he’ll finally make his move and tell us where Nicky is.”



Kevin wanted to be as hopeful but it was getting increasingly difficult. “I hope you’re right.” Rob placed a loving arm around Kevin, “I’m sorry you have been through so much kiddo. I truly am.” The swinging door opened and Tyler walked out, disdain for the site that was before him evident on his face.



“Rob can I see you a minute, it’s about this case.” Rob nodded then gave Kevin one more hopeful glance before continuing back into the morgue.



By the time Kevin got upstairs to see his brother; Brian was already there and had filled AJ in on what happened. He needed to talk about what was happening and as much as he wanted to be there for his younger siblings, he just couldn’t focus on that right now. His mind was only on that Game Over card.



“Hey Kevin, was it the same guy that attacked me?” AJ asked before Kevin even had a chance to walk completely into his room.



“I don’t know buddy, it might have been.”



“Was it the guy who was in my room?”



“I don’t know.”



Brian was holding onto AJ’s hand as he spoke, “If it’s the guy who I followed out of here than no, it wasn’t the same guy.”



“Then that person is the one that has Nick.” AJ replied.



“Guys, I don’t know what to do anymore.” Kevin confessed, finally breaking down without even realizing he was about to. The entire story poured out of him at this point, except for the part about their dad being alive. He decided to keep that to himself for now.



“He hasn’t called or anything?” Kevin shook his head at Brian who seemed shocked about the magnitude of all Kevin had been dealing with the entire time.



“The guy who has been calling me is the one who is now dead.”



They sat in silence for a few more minutes as Howie entered the room, “Kevin, I think we need to go.”



“Where?”



“The cabin.”



“Oh.”



“What cabin?” Brian asked.



“Just one of our meeting points for this investigation,” Howie answered quickly.



“I’m going to call mom Kev, don’t worry I’m not going to tell her about all of this but I guess I just want to hear her voice.”



Kevin walked over and gave AJ a huge hug and a kiss on top of his head, “I think that’s a great idea AJ, tell her I love her as well okay?”



AJ nodded, “What do I say if she asks about Nicky?”



“Tell her we’re getting closer.”



“So basically lie then?” Brian asked bitterly.



“Let’s hope it’s not a lie. I need you to be strong for me Bri okay?” He walked over and grabbed Brian’s chin forcing him to look up into Kevin’s eyes. “Be strong and keep it together for me but mostly for AJ, mom and Nicky.” When he was done he ran his hand over Brian’s head and did the same to him, kissed the top of his head.



“I will, but when you talk like that you worry me. Tell me you aren’t about to do something dangerous please.” Kevin would make no such promise; truth was he had no idea. He’d show up at the cabin where he hoped his father had some kind of lead and then they’d go all three of them, and follow whatever clues were found. If that meant walking into danger so be it. He made the decision in that old abandoned house, that he would gladly give his life for his baby brother if the need arose. He would do the same for all of them, without even hesitating.



“I’ll be back as soon as I can. Take care of each other and I’ll call you hopefully with some good news.”



He took one last look at the boys and then walked out the door with Howie, “Kevin what was that all about?” his friend asked as they got into the elevator that led them to the basement where luckily Kevin’s car was still parked from before.



“What do you mean?”



“I meant the goodbyes.”



“Sometimes you just feel the need to do that, I’m not planning anything.”



“You sure?”



“Yes, but I am going to make this guy an offer if he calls, I’m going to say I want an exchange, Nicky for me.”



“Kevin that is insane.”



“No it’s not; I think it’s the only way.”



“If you think I’ll let you do something like that, you’re crazy Kevin.”



“Tell me you wouldn’t do that Howie? If that was your little brother he had? You wouldn’t do anything to get him back?”



Howie nodded, “I would to that… even for your brother Kevin.”



“Then that’s that. I’m hoping it won’t get to that point, but if and when he makes contact that’s the offer I’m giving him, my life for Nick’s freedom.”



“Let’s hope it won’t come to that then.” Howie pat Kevin’s back as they got into the car and drove back towards the cabin where they hoped Kevin senior would be waiting with good news.



Kevin’s father ran out of the cabin when he saw the headlights coming up the long driveway. He greeted them and then led them inside the house quickly. “Is Brian okay?”



“He’s fine dad.”



“I hope you yelled at him for doing that.”



“Kind of, I figure there will be time for yelling when this is all over with.”



“Kevin, I just got off the phone with Rob, he said that he went up and showed AJ a picture of Wilson and asked him if that was the guy who took Nicky and he said no.”



That statement came as no surprise to any of the men, since Nicky seemed to know the person who took him out of the house. “I want you to bring this picture to him now and ask him if this is the guy.” Kevin took the picture and examined it carefully; the man didn’t look familiar to him at all, not even remotely.



“Who is this?” He asked as he handed the picture over to Howie to glance at.



“The name we have in our database is John Lewis.” Kevin senior said as Howie handed the picture back over to the older man, who took it and placed it on the table as he continued, “There has been one common factor in all of the kidnappings and murders to date and that has been stealing at least one Precious Moments figurine from every victim.”



“Yes, we found many of them when we found Wilson’s first hideout.” Kevin said listening intently to his father as he continued.



“After running some of the shards through extensive tests, there was a common fingerprint that existed on almost all the figurines, well two technically. One was Scott Wilson’s fingerprints but the other one was this John Lewis person.”



“So you think this entire time Scott has had an accomplice?”



“Maybe, does he look familiar to you?” he asked both men who shook their heads.



“Anyway I have a feeling that he’s the guy that has my son.” Kevin looked at his father in a strange way. It was so odd to hear him calling Nick his son. Words he thought he’d never hear his father say. In some ways, he felt like this was all a dream; some parts exciting, but most parts horrifying. If all it took was opening his eyes to make Nick come home then that was fine by him, even if that meant that his father would disappear.



“We have no clue where he is?” Kevin asked once again grabbing the picture, ready to bring it to the hospital.



“No, but I have a feeling it’s only a matter of time before he makes contact with you.”



“Okay, I’ll bring this to AJ and see what he says. Dad, do you know anything about Tyler? Do you think he can be trusted?”



“From what I remember, Tyler was a very by the book type of guy why do you ask?”



“Because I just get a bad feeling about him, somehow I think he’s part of this.”



“Then watch your back son…okay?” Kevin senior put his hand on his son’s arm, “The Richardson men have always been blessed with great instincts. If you don’t trust him there’s probably good reason.”



It seemed like the oddest of moments but Kevin felt the need to pull his dad into a hug, “I missed you dad.” He said, not even caring how cheesy it may have sounded. Kevin senior seemed surprised by it but also touched.



“I missed you too son, now go on hurry and if AJ says it’s him or if the guy contacts you, let me know ASAP!”



Kevin nodded, got into the car and drove back to the hospital where AJ and Brian were sitting and waiting patiently for news.



“Kevin, the guy that was in the morgue wasn’t the same one that attacked me,” AJ said the second his big brother walked into the room.



“I know, actually was this the man?” He asked walking over and handing AJ the picture that his father had given him, the picture of John Lewis.



AJ stared at it for a few minutes before saying a word but just by the look on his face, the pained expression of a victim reliving his experience, Kevin knew that was the man. “Where did you get this?” AJ whispered finally, handing the picture over to Brian who had his hand extended anxious to see if that was the man he had seen in the stairwell.



“It’s him isn’t it?” Kevin asked once again, avoiding AJ’s question.



“Yeah it’s him.”



“And what about you? Is this the guy you saw Brian?” Brian answered his brother with a nod.



“Who is he?”



“Let’s just say he suddenly popped into the picture.”



“So is he the one who has Nicky?” Brian asked hopeful that maybe they were once again on the right track to finding their little brother.



“I think so, question is, does Nicky know him? I mean he went with this guy without a struggle right?” AJ nodded at Kevin who continued on, “So he had to know this guy well enough to allow himself to be taken away. Plus all the pictures that were sent of him, he looked very calm. He wouldn’t have been so calm with a total stranger.”



“I know I’ve never seen him Kevin.”



“Me either,” Brian agreed with AJ which had Kevin once again a little baffled.



“Oh Kev…before I forget, when I talked to mom she asked if you could go pick her up at Patty’s house.



“Thanks AJ, when did you talk to her?”



“Just after you left.”



“How did she sound?”



“She actually sounded okay; she even laughed a little bit.”



“Good,” He turned towards Brian, “Maybe you can go get her Bri? I really should get back to work.”



“Sure it’s no problem. That is if AJ doesn’t mind being alone.” Both brothers turned towards AJ who seemed embarrassed by all the sudden attention.



“What am I some kind of baby or something?”



“No, but considering all the crap you just went through, I’d totally understand if you didn’t want to be alone.” Brian said very honestly.



“It’s really okay besides you’ll be bringing my girl here so it’s all good. I miss my mommy and if you tell anyone I said that I’m SO kicking your ass Brian!”



“Right! You and what army buddy?” Brian winked at his brother before moving in for a hug to which Kevin did the same.



“I can stay for a while if you’d like?” Kevin said after he let go.



“No it’s okay, I want some me time anyway, have you seen some of these nurses? Having you guys around is cramping my style.”



“Okay fine, well you do have some agents down the hall keeping an eye on you so feel safe okay?”



AJ nodded and smiled but Kevin was still able to sense the fear in his eyes. He felt horrible for leaving but he felt like he was needed at the cabin where he could possibly brain storm with his father a little more. Even though now they had another clue in this mystery, he still felt like he was running out of time. So the two older brothers said goodbye to the younger one not realizing that soon one if not all of their lives would be in danger.



Brian and Kevin parted ways in the parking lot of the hospital giving each other a hug and reassurance that everything would be all right. Meanwhile AJ laid back in his bed and put on his television just as his mother called again. He smiled and quickly put the show on mute.



“Hey momma.”



“Sweetheart, I just wanted to let you know that I don’t need a ride anymore, John just came home and he said he’d take me.”



“John?”



“Yes Mr. Nicosia.”



“Oh, well Brian left already.”



“Okay, well maybe I’ll just wait for him then. Sweetheart have you heard from Kevin?”



“He was just here and he told me to tell you he loves you and he’s working on it.” He was pretty sure he heard his mother sniffle at that.



“I love all of you too and I’ll be there soon baby.”



“Thanks mom, I love you too…gotta go someone just came in.”



“Okay dear see you soon.”



AJ hung up the phone just as Tyler walked in and closed the door.



Jackie clung to the phone for just a few minutes more, tears threatening to spill for about the thousandth time that day. As the hours passed and her son still remained missing, it seemed harder for her to remain strong. Anita had given her the support she needed. She barely knew the woman, just from time spent with her when they met at the park or when she would bring Patty over for a play date with Nicky. But she sat there and rubbed Jackie’s back as she cried about all that had happened.



“Are you okay sweetie?” It was Anita once again checking to see if she was okay.



“I’m okay; Brian is on his way to get me so I guess your husband is off the hook.”



“I’ll let him know.” Anita said starting to walk out of the living room to get her husband.



Jackie smiled at her and then picked up one of the many figurines that were on top of the fireplace, “I collect these too.” She said once again ready to cry as she held a small angel in her hand, one very similar to the one that her husband had bought for AJ the day he was born. “My husband bought one for me every time we had one of our children christened, we love Precious Moments.” She said to Anita who walked over and gave Jackie another hug.



“My husband loves them too; he’s actually the one that collects them, it seems like there’s a new one there everyday.” Anita confessed; taking the figurine and placing it back on the mantelpiece.



Jackie’s eyes grew wide, her heart began to beat very quickly and she thought she might even pass out when she glanced at the bottom of the figurine and saw to AJ with love on it.



“Are you ready to go Jackie?” She turned and looked at Anita’s husband unsure of what to say or do next.


Hey there! Well I know... another mean cliffie but at least now you know right? Well kind of sort of lmao I hope this chapter made sense, if not I apologize. Anyway because this one is wrapping up within the next few weeks, just wanted to say a huge thanks for all the reivews! Wow over 200! that's realy incredible. I always respond to your feedback so if you didn't know that go check out what I have had to say to you! :O) Now comes the badish news? Not sure if you'll get an update on this next Wednesday. This upcoming week is going to be a very busy one so basically if I don't get to writing this sunday (My only semi free day) I am not going to be able to get you an update for Wednesday. Don't hate on me lol I have been very very good with steady updates and at least i'm warning you ahead of time right? :OP