- Text Size +
38



The Family Reunion






Kevin sat in a chair in the darkened room with his chin in his hand. So many thoughts going through his mind he didn’t even know where to start. So much had just happened to his family, how on earth would they ever bounce back? He grabbed his mother’s hand gently as she slept. At the feel of his touch, Jackie opened her eyes and smiled at her son.



“I knew you would save the day.” She said barely in a whisper.



“Hardly mom, how are you feeling?”



She swallowed hard and took a deep breath; the oxygen being fed through her nose seemed to help with her breathing. “I’ll be okay. The doctor said it would take more than a little bit of smoke to take this old girl down…how’s the baby?”



“Fine, he’s with Brian and AJ.”



She smiled and a tear ran down her cheek, “Thank God, and what about your dad?” She hesitated before asking that question afraid to know the answer.



“I don’t know mom, it doesn’t look good. He lost a lot of blood. He’s in critical condition.”



She nodded and closed her eyes for a brief minute, “How come you didn’t tell me?”



“I don’t know, I guess because I didn’t know how you’d handle it. I’m sorry I kept it from you.”



“Was he cheating on me?”



“Mom…no, why are you even worrying about that right now? You need your rest.”



“I want to see him Kevin.”



“I will try to get your doctor to agree to let you go up and see him okay?” She nodded and pulled him closer.



“What about John? Is he dead?”



“No, he’s going to jail though and he’ll never bother us again. I promise.”



She nodded and once again closed her eyes which prompted Kevin to stand up and kiss her on the cheek, “I’m going to go and let you get some rest. Brian and Nicky will be down in a little bit to see you okay?”



“Kevin, I want to see my husband, please try to get me up there okay?”



“I will mom and I love you.”



“I love you more.” He smiled at the very familiar ending to most of their conversations and left the room where Howie was waiting out in the chairs. He stood up and walked over to his best friend and placed a hand on his shoulder.



“How is she?”



“She’s going to be fine thanks to you. I don’t even know how to thank you Howie.”



“Just tell her I expect a never ending invitation to dinner.”



“I’m sure she’ll be fine with that.” Kevin laughed as they headed to the elevator which would bring them to AJ’s room.



“Three Richardsons in the hospital at once, I think that has to be some kind of record.” He joked, trying to just for a minute forget about the grave situation they were facing. He didn’t want to tell his mother but the doctor said that most likely his father wouldn’t last through the night. His brain was functioning but his vital organs were beginning to shut down. The father he had finally found again was going to be gone forever this time.



“How did Brian take the news?”



Kevin glanced over at Howie, “You mean about my father?”



Howie nodded his head in reply as Kevin continued, “Well, he was shocked to say the least, and then angry, happy, and devastated when he found out about his condition. It doesn’t seem fair does it? That he comes back into our lives only to be taken away again.”



“You don’t know for sure that is going to happen.”



“I know, but now to be strong.” He said just as he entered his brother’s room putting on a happy grin as he did.



Brian was sitting on the chair beside the bed watching a basketball game as both AJ and Nicky lay sleeping in the bed. The younger of the two had his head resting on his older brother’s chest as AJ had his arms protectively wrapped around the child. “They are going to be very close after all that they have been through.” Kevin said as he entered the room and smiled at the sight he was met with.



“Yeah I know what you mean, AJ acted like he could care less to see the little guy but now he won’t let him go.” Brian answered, looking away from the game and greeting the two men.



“How are you holding up Bri?” Kevin asked taking a seat next to his younger brother and looking into his eyes.



“Well as can be expected I guess, thanking God about every ten seconds that Nick is safe and sound then cursing him out every thirty for dad. How’s mom?”



“Almost back to her old feisty self.” At that, Brian smiled.



“Hey you mind, I’m trying to sleep!” AJ said through a sleepy yawn. “Hey there’s a little thing attached to me over here.” Everyone in the room laughed.



“He’s exhausted.” Kevin stood up and gently rubbed Nicky’s cheek as he slept, “You want me to take him off of you?”



“Nah, that’s okay, let him stay.” AJ said as his grip on his baby brother tightened.



“Suit yourself.”



“Hey Kev, how about Anita? Did she make it?”



Kevin turned towards Brian and nodded, “She’s going to be okay. You saved her life Brian.”



“Did she want me to? I mean was it a suicide attempt?”



“No, he did that to her after he put mom in the car I guess. At least that’s what she told the police. She said while he was bringing mom to the car she grabbed a knife and was ready to stab him but I guess the end result was her being hung. You are a hero kiddo.”



“I don’t feel like one.”



“True heroes usually don’t.”



“What about Patty?”



“She is staying with her grandmother for now but she is fine. She’ll have a lot to deal with but for now she at least has her mom and her boyfriend back.”



“What about Nicky, will he be alright?” Brian asked staring at his baby brother as he stirred in his sleep.



“I think it’ll be hard for him as well, but you know what? He has all of us to help him get through. You guys all have me you know that right?”



“How could we not know that Kev, you tell us that every time you see us.” AJ rolled his eyes and sighed, “By the way…I am thinking of getting a tattoo, think I should ask mom about it now while she’s heavily sedated?”



“I have a feeling even sedated she’ll have something to say about that one AJ.”



“Is he going to get out of jail ever Kevin? I mean is there a chance this guy can come after Nicky again?”



Kevin looked AJ in the eyes, “No way in hell AJ.”



“Hey Rob!” Kevin turned towards the door where Rob was standing with a bag full of presents. “How’s my favorite family?” He asked walking over and kissing the sleeping child on the cheek and tousling AJ’s hair.



“We’re good.” Brian answered.



“I’m happy to hear that….I’m going to steal your big brother for a few minutes is that okay with you? Howie too.”



“Sure take him as long as you want but make sure you bring him back to us.” Brian said with a wink and a smile.



“I promise, by the way all that stuff in that bag is for you guys from the office. Enjoy!”



As the three men walked out of the room they heard AJ and Brian fighting over something in the bag and once again Kevin couldn’t help but smile. He loved his brothers so much.



“Kevin, we have been trying to get Nicosia to talk for the last hour but he refuses to talk to anyone but you.”



“I’m done with him Rob, I already told you that.”



“I know Kevin, but we need his confession which he said he would only give to you.”



“Where is he?”



“In a private room on the 3rd floor.”



“Okay fine, let’s go do this.” Kevin took a deep breath as he walked towards John’s room. He was adamant when he finally met up with Rob, that he wanted nothing to do with the case any longer, now that his family was safe he was done. Giving this creep anymore of his time would only be letting him win.



“I’ll go in with you if you’d like.” Rob said to Kevin right before they were to enter the man’s room.



“No that’s okay; I can do this all by myself.”



“We’ll be right out here if you need us.” Howie reassured and Kevin nodded before entering the room.



Like his mother’s room, John’s was equally as dark, only one small light was on right over his bed. “I am glad you came.” The man said as he sat up, wincing from the pain in his shoulder.



Kevin walked over and took a seat on the stool right beside the man’s bed, happy to see that a handcuff held his right hand in place on the railing. Thoughts about standing up and smothering him with a pillow went through his mind briefly but he shook it off. “I’m here, why don’t you tell me what happened.”



John smiled, “How is your mother? I was glad to hear she made it out okay. I had a feeling she would; she is such a pretty lady.”



Kevin took out his pad and a pen, “Why don’t you tell me what happened from the beginning.”



“I’m not sure why you would lie to me about my daughter though, that was just cruel Kevin.”



“How did you get involved with Scott Wilson? And at any time did you help him kidnap or murder any of those kids?”



“I mean, to tell me my daughter was dead, that was heartless.”



“Look, I don’t have much time. You are either going to talk to me or you’re not. Which is it?”



“I’m talking to you now aren’t I?” He laughed and rested his head against his pillow.



Kevin stood up to leave, “You’re wasting my time.” He said walking away and putting his hand on the door.



“Wait! Don’t go yet.” Kevin slowly turned around and made his way back to the bed.



“I’m listening.”



“I’ll tell you what you want to know, go ahead and ask Kevin.” He adjusted the controls on the bed to make himself sit upright.



“Why you would do this to MY family?”



John grinned wide when he heard that question and that disgusted Kevin. “That doesn’t seem like such a professional question Kevin. Isn’t it wrong to make things so personal? Anyway…it wasn’t up to me who we targeted; I just happened to come into contact with that beautiful baby boy your family has there. You should thank me, I saved his life. If it were up to Scott he would really have been in that body bag he had delivered to your door.”



“What do you mean I should thank you, you were ready to burn him alive you son of a bitch!”



“How is Nicky anyway? Tell him I said hello and hopefully I’ll see him really soon.”



That made Kevin totally lose his cool as he stood up and placed his hand right onto John’s wound and pressed down really hard, “Listen to me… you even so much as say my brother’s name again and you won’t have to worry about getting the death penalty because I’ll kill you with my bare hands.”



John was grimacing and groaning as Kevin pressed but he still never lost that smile he had on his face. “It is a powerful feeling isn’t? Being in control over someone weaker than you.”



Kevin ignored that last statement and tried to focus on his task, “Tell me how you know Scott Wilson.”



“He was a good friend of mine.”



“Do you always go around killing your good friends?”



“Who said I killed him?”



“And what about Tyler? How did he fit into all of this?”



“He was Scott’s brother, I never liked him personally.”



“Is that why you wanted him off the case?”



“I didn’t care one way or the other but yes that’s why Scott wanted him off the case. I guess in a way he was playing mind games with the kid. Make him angry and jealous of you. He wanted to kill your brother too you know. I think he actually may have even kicked him once if I’m not mistaken.”



Kevin gripped his pen so hard it almost broke in half.



“He was gay, did you know that? Tyler was a fairy. His lover was on the force as well.”



“Matt? The other agent who was in on this?” Kevin asked taking notes as he listened in.



Scott nodded, “Yeah that was his name, friggin’ fairy.”



“How many kids were there total?”



“I think I’ve answered all the questions I need to for today.”



“Did you help kill and kidnap any of those children?”



“I told you I was done for now.” He grinned at the detective as he put away his pad.



“Fine, they’ll get the rest when they process you.”



Kevin stood up to leave, not even looking back at John as he did, “Oh and Kevin one more thing…”



At that Kevin turned around, “What is it?”



“This was a family business for Scott, if you think the killing is going to end just because he and Tyler are dead, you are probably wrong, maybe not now but someday it’ll start up again and when it happens, you better hide that baby brother of yours. They’re a vengeful bunch.”



“I want names!” Kevin said turning quickly and walking back towards the man who was handcuffed to the bed.



“Sorry I don’t have any names.”



“Give me names!” Kevin was now screaming at the man as he lunged at him full force, an action which brought Rob and Howie into the room to restrain him. “Names!!”



“Get him out of here he’s crazy!” John said laughing as Rob and Howie pulled him out of the room.



“He said there are more family members and that the killing won’t stop!” Kevin was still being held back by Howie as Rob was trying to understand what his detective was saying.



“He’s bluffing Kevin, I’m sure there’s no one else. If there was we would have found him or her don’t you think?”



“We didn’t know Tyler was Scott’s brother.”



“True, we’ll do some more checking but my guess is he was just trying to get you riled up.” Rob said in a calming tone, hoping to relax his young friend.



“Well it worked.”



“I see that, you did good Kevin. Thanks for talking to him; I know it’s something you didn’t want to do. Now why don’t you go and see your father?”



Kevin ran a hand through his hair and nodded at his boss, “Yeah good idea.” He said as he walked away and headed towards the elevator.



When he got up to his father’s room, his mother was already there, holding her husbands hand and humming to him as he lay unconscious. She was in a wheel chair herself but had removed her oxygen mask. Kevin walked in and kissed her on the cheek. “Hi mom.”



“Hey baby.”



“It all seems so surreal to see him here in front of me, I feel like I’m having déjà vu.”



“I know…” He said sitting down on the other side of his dad, “Me too.”



She gripped his hand a little tighter than before, “I just got him back…I don’t want to lose him now.”



“I don’t want to either mom.”



Just as she said that, the door opened and in walked the rest of the family, Brian pushing AJ in a wheel chair as Nicky sat in his lap with the new teddy bear Rob had bought him in his hands.



“Hey the gangs all here!” Jackie said smiling wide as she saw AJ for the first time since coming into the hospital. When he saw her he began to cry which prompted her to jump out of her wheel chair and go hug her sons.



Kevin got all teary eyed at the reunion as well, maybe there is such a thing as happy endings after all. Noticing he was being left out, Jackie motioned for him to come and join in the family hug which he did, grabbing Brian and closing the gap with Nicky. Holding them all close he was overcome with emotion for these people who he loved so much.



Finally they broke apart and Brian helped his mother back to her wheel chair and together they all stood around their father’s bed, holding hands and listening to the heart monitor beep its steady rhythm.



“Honey we are all here with you now and we all love you.” Nicky had transferred from AJ’s lap onto his mommy’s and gently reached over and took his daddy’s hand.



“I love you daddy.” He whispered and gently bent down to kiss his dad’s hand and place his head on top of it and then started giggling, “Daddy that tickles!” He said which made Kevin quickly approach the bed.



“What tickles?”



“He’s tickling my neck.” Nick said still giggling.



“Dad, can you hear me?” Kevin asked now walking over and grabbing his other hand, “If you can hear me squeeze my hand.”



Kevin smiled then looked up at his mother, “He heard me, he’s squeezing!”



“I know.” She said calmly, “He’s looking at me right now.” And when Kevin looked down he saw the most amazing site, there was his father staring at his mother and smiling just the way they did every day of their marriage.



His eyes moved away from Jackie then went to each boy and before landing on Kevin’s. He felt his hand being squeezed, “Dad we’re all safe. You saved us; you did what you needed to do.”



He looked like he nodded briefly then his eyes moved back to his wife as she cried silent tears. “I love you Kevin…” He smiled, at least did the best he could, being hooked up to all the machines he was.



The moment seemed to last forever before he closed his eyes again to the sound of alarms going off all around them as his heart monitor stopped beeping and went to a flat line. The family was rushed out of the room quickly as they began to work on the Matriarch of the Richardson clan but both Jackie and Kevin knew that was his way of saying goodbye. They all stood around hugging and awaiting the news.



No matter how many times they hit him with the paddles nothing happened, so finally after about fifteen minutes of trying to revive him they called the time of death but before doing so one of the doctors motioned for another one to come closer, “It looks like an air bubble doesn’t it?” The one said to the other and before they called in any family members they called in the agents who were waiting outside the room.



It felt like forever before anyone came to tell them anything one way or the other. The waiting was killing them but yet there was nothing they could do about it. They felt hopeless as they held onto each other.



Howie and Ariana had their arms wrapped around one another as they stood waiting for the news. She had come out because she knew her boyfriend needed her after the day he had. The day they all had.



The doctor came out and pulled his surgical mask down, “I’m sorry…we lost him.” He said looking down at the ground. “We tried everything we could to revive him.”



They nodded and walked away holding each other tightly.



Kevin sat outside his father’s room long after everyone had left. Holding his hands to his head and once again drying his tears, seemed like since he got his family back those tears wouldn’t stop falling.



Howie and Ariana made their way over towards their friend and quietly sat beside him, “How you holding up buddy?”



“Well as can be expected D.”



“How about the family?”



“The same.”



“I have some news for you Kev, it’s about John… he’s dead.”



“Dead?” Kevin looked over at Howie in disbelief.



“Yes, he coded a little while ago, they think its foul play, that’s about all I know for now. Rob is handling the case personally. He said they called him into the room shortly after he coded. Something about an air bubble.”



“So I guess it’s over then huh?”



“Yeah…so how’s your dad?”



“We almost lost him D, he opened his eyes and then stopped breathing but luckily they got him back. We still have no idea if he’s going to make it or not but for now. He’s hanging in there.”



Howie nodded at his friend, “You want me to wait with you?”



“No, that’s okay you guys go home. I’m just going to go back in there and sleep on the cot they put up for me.”



Once Howie was gone, Kevin ventured into his father’s room and lay down beside him, grabbing his hand and smiling because even though all of their lives were so uncertain at least he knew he had his family to love and support.

Well we almost made it! I hope you have enjoyed the ride. I'll be back next Wednesday with the very last chapter. Thanks so much for reading this story. I always have enjoyed coming here and reading your feedback. :O)