- Text Size +
7



The Big Brother Oath








Kevin got to his mom’s house at around 11:30. The boys, all except Nicky were awake and in the living room watching Austin Powers. Eating popcorn and pizza and laughing as they recited word for word all of the things that Mike Meyers said. When he walked in everyone stopped briefly and stared which made him say, “What?”



“You are not getting your room back Kevin so don’t even think about it. I have worked long and hard to make that room mine and get your stink out of it.”



“My stink?” Kevin said dropping his bag at the bottom of the steps and sitting down on the couch next to Matt, one of Brian’s friends.



“Yeah that awful cologne or whatever the heck it is you wore all the time. Damn I can smell you from here.”



“It’s Dolce and Gabana, now shut up, jeez that’s a nice way to welcome me home.”



“It’s not like you live in Tahiti or anything Kevin, you live what? Ten minutes away?”



“Shut up Brian!”



“I’m just sayin’ that’s all.”



Kevin reached over Matt and bopped Brian on the head which made his friends and AJ crack up. “Where’s mom?”



“I think she’s upstairs with Nick. He had a stomachache.”



“Okay thanks, I guess I’ll bring my bag up to my room now anyway.”



“My room Kevin! I swear don’t make me wrestle you for it.”



“Like you would win Brian? I don’t think so…well not unless you were to bite at my ankles.”



“Shut up, you’re such an ass!”



“Dude, he’s like an FBI guy he can totally arrest you for saying that.” Harold his other friend said in his Keanu Reeves drawl which made Kevin crack up.



“Saying the word ass is not a federal offense Harold, but being an ass might be so he better watch it.”



Brian rolled his eyes at his older brother then once again turned his attention to the movie. Kevin grabbed his bag and walked up the stairs, the day’s tension already beginning to dissolve with each footfall. As he reached the top of the stairs he heard his mother talking in a soothing voice to Nick. He stood outside the door making sure he wasn’t seen as he spied on his mom and brother.



“Feel better now baby?”



“Yeah a little, but my tummy is still sour. I think I might throw up again mom.”



“I told you not to eat all that candy.”



“It’s not the candy mommy; it’s just an icky belly.”



“Do you want me to rub your belly?”



“No way, I’m not a baby anymore.” That made Kevin smile.



“Okay well...if you need me you call me okay sweetheart? I’ll be downstairs making sure those boys don’t mess up our house.”



“Can’t I go downstairs too?”



“No you need to go to sleep my Booboola.”



Nick giggled as his mom kissed the top of his head. “And guess who is staying with us this weekend?”



“Who?”



“Kevin!” Upon hearing his name he felt guilty for eavesdropping and almost walked into the room but stopped when he heard what Nick had to say.



“I wish he was still living with us. I hate that he is so far away.”



“Aww he’s not too far away.”



“I don’t like that he works at the FBI either. What if he dies like dad did?”



“Nicky, don’t say that! He will be very safe, besides he has daddy watching him from above.”



“It makes my stomach hurt when I know he’s at that place mom.” Kevin placed his hand on his heart, feeling an overwhelming sense of love for his baby brother and then walked into the room.



“Hey there were your ears ringing or something? We were just talking about you,” Momma Richardson said as she stood up and hugged her eldest son while the youngest son looked on. Kevin acted like he hadn’t heard.



“No, I just got here. Why are you up little man?”



“My stomach hurts.”



Kevin walked over to the bed and sat down, “Sorry to hear that.” He placed his hand on Nick’s forehead which felt cool to the touch.



“I’ll live,” He said in a squeaky feel sorry for me voice which made Kevin want to smile more than anything else but instead he nodded.



“I’m sure you will.”



“Kevin once the boys are all cleared out I’ll make the couch up for you.”



“Its okay mom, I can do it.”



“Nonsense, I plan on kicking those kids out of the house soon anyway.”



“They wouldn’t let me hang out with them Kevin!” Nick said now sitting up in his bed.



“You know what? They are really boring. You’re not missing anything,” Kevin said winking at his little brother.



“Kevin you can stay in my room if you want. I’ll sleep on the floor and you can have the bed.”



“Aren’t you the sweetest little boy in the world?” The mom said walking over and kissing her son on the cheek.



“You have to stay this sweet forever promise me. No tattoos, no smoking, and no being all mom get away from me,” She said sitting next to him and pulling him close as he giggled.



“I promise… now mom get away from me!” She started tickling him under his chin making him full out belly laugh. When she stopped she motioned for him to lie back down and she covered him with his blankets.



“Go to sleep Nickolas.”



“Okay mom, I love you.”



She winked at him, “I’ll leave you two alone for a few minutes,” She said walking past Kevin and smiling at him.



Once mom was out of the room, Kevin turned to his little brother again, “So how does your stomach feel? Any better?”



“A little... Don’t tell mom, but I ate too much candy.” Kevin smiled.



“You did?”



“Uh huh, we had a Tootsie Roll eating contest at lunch today, I ate about 30 of them.”



“30? My goodness! Did you win?” Nick smiled and nodded, which once again had Kevin laughing.



“Kev, why are you here?” He asked suddenly more serious. Sometimes he felt like his brother was able to see right through him, even at 8 years old.



“I just missed you and wanted to come visit, why? Do you want me to leave?”



“No, I want you to live with us again.”



“Aw buddy, I’m a little too old to move back home.”



“I miss having you here all the time, where I can keep an eye on you.” Kevin reached down and ruffled Nick’s hair.



“You’re keeping an eye on me huh?”



“Yup, I want you to be safe. I worry about you Kevin. I don’t want you to die on me.”



He laid down next to his brother then, placing his arm on his head to hold it up, “Don’t think about things like that little guy. I’m safe.”



“But still…I worry.” Kevin didn’t know what to say to that because truthfully it made him feel good.



“Well, I better let you get some sleep kiddo, rest and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”



“Kevin I meant what I said about my room, you can sleep in here.”



“That’s okay; I’ll take the couch tonight.”



“Kevin?”



“Yeah?”



“Can I come down there and sleep with you?” Kevin paused and stared at Nick as he lay there serious and tired.



“I tell you what, why don’t I sleep in here with you. I’ll sleep on the floor. I want you to stay on the bed though okay?” Nick smiled; Kevin knew that’s what the kid wanted to hear.



“Okay.”



“Let me just go down and say goodnight to everyone okay?”



“Thanks Kevin.”



“Aw thank you for offering.” Nick smiled.



“I’ll be back.”



“Kay.”



Kevin walked out the door and smiled once more as he made his way down the steps. Brian’s friends had gone and he and AJ were cleaning up in the living room as mom was doing the dishes.



“Have fun?” He asked his brothers as they picked up kernels of popcorn off the carpet.



“Yeah, that movie always cracks me up.”



“So you got ants or something Kev?”



“No AJ, but they are fumigating.”



“How come you’re not staying with miss thong?”



“Miss thong?” Brian said eyebrow raised and smiling.



“Lisa…is her name by the way, and she’s out of town. She’s an airline stewardess, so she’s gone most of the time.”



“Rok, you had to see here underwear all over the place.”



“Yeah Brian, AJ saw it when he invited himself to my house for dinner.”



Brian turned towards AJ and pointed an accusatory finger at him, “I KNEW he didn’t invite you over! God AJ you are such a liar!”



“Hey! You weren’t supposed to say anything.”



“Hrmm...Funny maybe miss thong made me lose my memory.”



“You suck Kev.”



“Now if you’ll excuse me I’m saying goodnight to our mother and going to spend some time with my nice brother.”



“You mean the one who wets the bed?”



“Stop AJ its only funny if he’s here when you make fun of him.” Brian said shaking his head at his younger sibling.



“Yeah I guess you’re right.”



“He wets the bed?” That made both brothers crack up.



“He had an accident about two months ago. He had a dream he was on a boat and peed himself. AJ hasn’t let him live it down since.”



“Eh, being a big brother is a tough job but I took an oath.” AJ said nonchalantly



“Remind me of that the next time you do something stupid. About that big brother oath.”



“Well I’m sure if you stand here for another couple of minutes that will happen,” Brian said which was quickly answered with a couch cushion flung at his head.



“What AJ? I was only adhering to MY big brother oath.”



“Gee thanks!”



Kevin walked into the kitchen and kissed his mother goodnight, “I’m sleeping in Nick’s room.”



“I knew you would honey, I have the blankets and pillows laid out for you right there.” She said pointing to the pile of linen sitting on a chair.



“Night.”



She smiled then turned back to her dishes. When he walked past the living room he saw Brian and AJ on the floor wrestling. “Goodnight guys.”



“Hey want to join me Kevin? I’m trying to fulfill some more of my big brother duties.”



“By sitting on AJ?”



“Yup isn’t that on line 23 of the oath? Thou must sit on obnoxious brother’s head until he says uncle?”



“Thou? Is this an oath or the Bible?”



“HA! Good one Kevin.”



“Hey! You’re supposed to be on my side.”



“Sorry Bri I took an oath too.”



“Night fellas.”



“Night.” Kevin walked back up the stairs to find Nick sound asleep on the bed. He thought briefly about turning around and heading back down the stairs and taking the couch after all or better yet, stealing either AJ or Brian’s bed, but just staring down at Nick and remembering what he said had him lie down on the hard floor and wrap the blankets around himself.



“I guess this is part of the big brother oath as well,” He whispered to himself as he shut off the light and closed his eyes to sleep.



About ten minutes later he felt a little body sink next to him on the floor. He smiled as Nick got close and cradled his head on Kevin’s shoulder. Kevin took his blankets and wrapped them around both of them and within minutes both were fast asleep.

I am updating this a day early because Lenni asked me too and since Lenni rocks my world with steady reviews I had to oblige lol Have a very happy Easter everyone! I will be back on Monday with another chapter.