- Text Size +
9



Silent Observers








Kevin got to the office at the same time as the little girl’s parents. He saw them entering the metal detector as he walked into the elevator. He was hoping to have a little more time to mentally prepare for the task of letting them know about the death. The trip to the morgue was a grueling task but it paled in comparison to letting a parent know that their child was dead but yet, there was no more information than that. No body, no location, no closure.



The questions will come out of them like a fountain and all Kevin will be able to say is ‘as of now that’s all we know.’ If it were up to him he wouldn’t even inform them about this until they had more information but then again was that fair? If he had a child missing wouldn’t he want to know as soon as possible?



He walked out of the elevator to be greeted by Howie, “They aren’t here yet,” He said handing Kevin the file about Sheila Tamry’s death. They included the picture of the girl dead, which the parents would have to look at in his presence.



“They’re on their way up. I saw them walk into the building.”



“Oh.”



“Are you ready?”



“No, I’m never ready for things like this.”



Just then both parents walked out of the elevator smiling and anxious to hear good news about their daughter. “They think we found her” Howie said as he watched them approach.



“I hate this part.” Kevin nodded at them as they walked into his office.



The girl’s parents left in a very different state than when they came, looks of despair on their faces, practically holding each other up as they moved down the hallway towards the elevator. At first they thought Kevin was joking when he told them the news. He grabbed her hand into his and looked her in the eyes.



She had actually laughed, in fact both parents had. But Kevin’s look never wavered letting them know how real the situation was. They just stared at each other for what seemed like forever, and then Kevin placed the picture in Mr. Tamry’s hands. He had glanced at it still just staring, hopelessly trying to come to terms with what was crashing into his world; a world where he would no longer be anyone’s father.

Kevin admired how well Mr.Tamry handled the news, he handed the picture back to Howie refusing to let his wife look at it. Mrs. Tamry however wasn’t quite so calm and understandably so. She walked up to Kevin and slapped him in the face.



“You told me she would be okay!” She yelled as the tears started flowing down her face.



Kevin’s face was turned away from the woman, he didn’t know what to do or say.



“Honey, it’s not his fault,” The father had told his wife as she glared at the detectives in the room. If she had a gun she’d probably shoot the lot of them before turning the gun on herself.



One of the many reasons the building was outfitted with metal detectors.



They sat in the room as silent observers as the husband tried to console his wife. Howie occasionally stealing glances at Kevin as the couple whispered to each other. Kevin couldn’t look at her, not after the slap. He felt horrible, like it was his fault. Even though the rational him knew it wasn’t.



“You don’t have any idea where this monster is… do you?” She finally spit out once again directing her rage at Kevin.



“No, but we’re working on it Mrs. Tamry and I promise we will…”



“Don’t promise me anything!” She said pointing a finger at Kevin who stopped and nodded.



“I’m sorry.”



“She was a really friendly kid, she’d talk to everyone she met,” The father said looking up at Kevin apologetically.



“Would she walk away with a stranger?” Howie asked opening his note pad to take some notes.



“Do you think my daughter was an idiot detective? You think we didn’t teach her NOT to talk to strangers?”



“I’m sorry I wasn’t implying that ma’am I was just asking.”



“Maris honey, they are just trying to do their jobs.”



“Well if they had done their jobs Sheila would be alive! It’s all your fault!” She said once again directing her gaze at Kevin.



“I’m sorry.” Was all he could say. He sounded like a kid being caught stealing candy out of a candy jar.



“Detective, our Sheila was a smart girl, old enough to know the whole don’t talk to stranger’s thing but still she was very friendly and would probably go home with anyone.”



“How can you say that about her?” The mom was furious now and started banging on her husband’s chest outraged as she cried.



When they left distraught, Kevin sat at his desk with his head down. He was ready to quit, he couldn’t handle anything like that anymore. Not again, and he did feel guilty. He really thought they’d find this one alive.



“So this one is another one who would feel free to talk to any stranger.”



“Yeah,” Kevin said muffled from talking behind his arms.



“I’m the one you know…I’m the one that said we’d find her. She should have blamed me not you Kev.”



Kevin put his head up and looked at his friend, “It’s my fault D, it’s my case…it’s my fault.”



“It’s no one’s fault but Scott Wilson and we will catch him Kevin.”



Kevin nodded in reply but didn’t say anything more until they got down to his car. Howie took a seat in the passenger side, “I’m glad I’m coming over, it’ll be nice seeing your family. They always make me feel so welcome.”



“They love you Howie. I know Nicky will be thrilled, maybe he will introduce you to his chick.”



“Does he have a duck or something?”



“Or something.” Kevin laughed but stopped abruptly when he went to start the car and it wouldn’t budge. He turned the key in the ignition over and over again and nothing happened.



“Are you freaking kidding me?”



“I don’t even have my car here Kev; otherwise we could just take mine.”



“Great just great!” He said banging his hands on the steering wheel. “Well I guess I can call home. Maybe Brian can come get us.”



Just then Matt, one of the guys who worked in the lab walked by, seeing the two have car trouble he stopped and peered his head in the window.



“What’s going on?”



“The car is dead.”



“You need a ride?”



“That would be great if you could, I’m going to call a tow when I get home, I just don’t want to deal with being here for another minute.”



“Hard day?”



“Yeah.”



“That Baby killer case right?” Kevin nodded, grimacing at the name his case was given.



They piled into Matt’s car and made their way back to Kevin’s safe haven, his mom’s house. As they were turning up the block he noticed Nick sitting all by himself on the front porch. That’s when he got this brilliant idea; he turned to Matt and had him stop a few houses down.



“Matt, I know this is going to sound very odd…but see that little kid over there?”



“Uh huh.”



“Well that’s my little brother.”



“Okay…and?”



“And this is the weird part…I was wondering if you’d do me a favor and go talk to him and see if… well… see if he’ll walk away with you.”



“What?”



“You know? Like training? Try to get him to go with you.”



“Kevin!” Kevin turned towards Howie.



“I know it sounds odd D, but after hearing what those people said today, knowing what’s out there! I need to be sure you know what I mean?”



“You sure?” Kevin nodded at Matt.



“Okie dokie.” He said walking out of the car and towards Nick as he sat drawing on the porch.



“What if your mother comes out while Matt’s doing his thing?”



“Then I’ll run out and explain.”



Kevin and Howie both got out of the car and managed to sneak to the side of the house so they could hear the conversation between the two.



“Hey there,” Matt said looking down at Nick as he drew.



“Hello” Nick said not even looking up from his coloring book.



“What are you doing?”



“Coloring a picture for my brother AJ.”



“That’s a nice picture.”



“Thanks.”



Kevin turned to Howie, “Why is he talking to Matt? He doesn’t even know him. He should have gone inside by now.”



“I was wondering if you would do me a favor…I live right around the block over there and I need some help, I have a box of puppies and need someone to watch them for me.”



“Good he’s doing the puppy thing.”



“Shhh.” Howie said rolling his eyes at his friend.



“I’m sorry I can’t. I don’t know you and I’m not allowed to go with strangers.”



That made Kevin smile from ear to ear, “Good boy Nicky…good boy!”



Matt moved in closer to Nick, “Well my name’s Matt. What’s yours?”



“Nick.”



“Hi Nick,” He said sticking out his hand for a shake which made Nick giggle.



“Uh oh.” Howie said while Kevin’s smile quickly turned into a frown.



“I guess this means we’re not strangers anymore right Nick?” Nick shrugged still not looking very sure of what to do.



“So what do you say? How about you come with me to see those puppies?”



“Can I tell my brother AJ first?” Kevin felt butterflies in his stomach, the protector in him ready to run out and rescue his little brother even though there was no need for rescuing.



“We’ll be really fast Nick, what do you say?”



Nick looked back at the door and then nodded at Matt, “Okay just for a quick second though.”



Matt sighed, “Okay here take my hand and let’s go.” Nick took Matt’s hand and they started walking toward the side of the house were a very unhappy Kevin was waiting for them. This was the part of the BOP training Matt hated but he did it anyway, he grabbed the child forcefully all of the sudden to let him know that maybe this wasn’t a game.



“I can’t believe he went with Matt,” Kevin said knowing what was going to happen next and ready to jump out quickly and calm his brother down.



When Matt grabbed Nick’s hand and began to tug, he screamed “AJ!” So loudly and panic stricken that the older brother came running out of the house and almost fell down the porch steps in time to see some stranger pulling Nick around the corner of the house. Not even thinking he jumped on Matt’s back just as Kevin popped out from behind the house to calm both his brothers down.



Nick was crying and AJ hanging onto Matt when they both saw Kevin. “Calm down.” He said to both of them which had Matt quickly let go of Nick’s arm. The child went running towards Kevin and hugged him tight, almost in full blown hysterics now. Confused AJ still was piggy backing Matt but not fighting. It looked comical actually, even though it wasn’t meant to.



“Thanks Matt,” Kevin said very calmly as he pat his little brother’s back as he cried.



“No problem, I’m sorry he followed me Kev.”



“Yeah me too.”



“What the hell is going on?” AJ said finally finding his voice.



“AJ, this is Matt, he works with me and I asked him to do that.”



“What?” AJ let go of Matt, allowing himself to jump back to the ground where Howie stood, feeling like he was intruding on what was soon to be a huge family blow out.



“Matt, thanks a lot and I’m sorry about all of this.”



“It’s okay,” He said then squatted down towards Nick who was still clinging on to Kevin’s leg, “I hope you learned a lesson Nick, when someone asks you to go with them you should always so no.” He pat Nick’s head then stood up.



“Good luck with your car.” He winked at Kevin who smiled in return.



“You had some guy purposely try to kidnap OUR brother? What is wrong with you?” AJ said furiously.



“Let’s talk about it inside.” Kevin picked Nick up, walked past AJ and into the house where Howie and then AJ followed.



“Seriously Kevin you have some major issues.”



“Where’s mom?” Kevin asked placing Nick on the ground. The child stood there silent and crying.



“She’s at the store.”



“So you were supposed to be watching him then?”



“Yes.”



“Then where the hell WERE you?”



“I was right in here watching TV.”



“Well while you were watching TV some strange guy was talking to Nick for almost 7 minutes.”



“He was on the front porch.”



“Did that stop what could have potentially happened?”



“I didn’t think there would be a problem. He plays on the porch all the time.”



“7 minutes AJ! Of which Nick looked back at that door at least three times not knowing what to do!” Now Kevin had lost it screaming at AJ.



“But he plays on the porch all the time.”



“Do you have any idea how many abductions happen similar to the one that was just simulated?”



“I didn’t think he…”



“And I can’t believe you actually left with him Nicky, after our talk the other day! How could you just get up and follow some stranger?” Kevin said now directing his wrath at his littlest brother who was still crying.



“I hate you Kevin! You’re mean!” Nick said running up the stairs and slamming his door.



“How could you do that to him Kev?” AJ asked trying to calm himself down. You could tell he was feeling horribly guilty after what happened.



“I mean how could you test him like that?”



“Let me ask you this AJ…do you think he’ll ever do it again?” AJ shook his head.



“Then it was worth it don’t you think?”



“This is about those little girls who I have seen on TV isn’t it? Are you working on that case Kevin?”



Howie looked over at Kevin sympathetically, knowing all of the things that were going through his best friend’s mind. This case was so hard for him.



“I can’t really say AJ, but you have to keep a better eye on him. He walked away with a complete stranger and I don’t know about you but that scares the crap out of me. I’m sorry I put you through that, but I had to.”



“I will watch him more carefully; Kevin is there something I should know?”



“No kiddo, Nicky is safe but…you never know.”



“Yeah, well since I about crapped my pants, I think I need to go calm myself down a bit.”



“Jay, one more thing, jumping on a guy who may potentially be armed was not the smartest thing in the world either.”



“I had to do something.”



Kevin walked over and grabbed his brother into a hug, “I know…I know.”



“I better go up and see if he’s okay.” AJ said pulling away first, “I doubt he’s going to want to see you anytime soon.”



“I know but I’d rather him be mad at me than see him do what he did again.” AJ nodded and then glanced at Howie.



“Oh hi by the way.”



Howie smiled, “Hi.”

When AJ walked up the steps, Howie turned to his friend, “You okay Kev?”



Kevin nodded, but he was far from okay.


I'll be back on Sunday with another chapter ;)