- Text Size +
Do You Know The Muffin Man?

Breathing hard, Kellie struggled to get through the dense brush and trees. Her pants and the slaps of her footsteps were the only noise to be heard at the moment. Her mind had flashes of the past. Flashes of how it all began.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh do you know the muffin man the muffin man the muffin man
oh do you know the muffin man who lives on dury lane?

The song echoed off the walls in the living room where Kellie Turtle sat babysitting her younger brother Trent.

The three year old sat on the floor clapping his hands and singing to the video. Kellie rolled her eyes. She was so tired of this song that had been played over and over again.

Suddenly, interrupting her bitching in her mind, there was a knock at the door. Kellie stood up irritated. Glancing at the clock she saw it was 8 pm. Too late for someone to be knocking on the door.

She peeked out and saw a man. She had no idea who he was but he was soaked from the rain.

Keeping the chain lock on, she opened the door a crack.

"What's wrong?"

"Sorry to bother you miss but my car broke down and I was hoping you would be so kind and let me use your phone?" His voice was soft with a southern accent.

Kellie hesitated. She knew since she was a little girl that she was not supposed to open the door for strangers.

"Alright." She finally answered closing the door then opening it to let him in.

The man came into the hall way and shook her hand.

"I'm Brian." Extended his hand.

"Kellie." She answered slowly shaking it.

Brian smiled his friendly smile. Kellie was about 15 or so he guessed.

"So, are you here all alone tonight?" He asked casually.

"Yes, my parents went into town for a school meeting. I'm babysitting my little brother Trent."

Brian nodded.

"So where is the phone?"

Kellie pointed out the phone in the living room. Brian went over to it and dialed. He watched the girl from the corner of his eye.

She bent over the little boy, kissed his head and walked out of the room. Smiling, Brian carefully put the phone back down onto the hook.

Slowly, without making a sound, he stood up and grabbed a pillow from the couch. He made his way to the little boy. Trent was never aware that someone was creeping up on him.

Quick as a flash of lightning, Brian grabbed the little boy and shoved the pillow over his head. The little boy struggled desperately.

Brian sat on the small body crushing it beneath his own. His knee pressed down into the little stomach. Brian kept the pillow down over the baby's face.

Trent slowly stopped struggling. Within minutes, Trent was dead.

Brian smirked and tossed the pillow to the side. He looked at the little boy who lay unmoving.

"So are they coming to get your car?" A voice broke through his moment of glory.

Brian's head flew up as Kellie walked in. Kellie stopped dead in her tracks seeing Brian standing over the lifeless body of her brother.

Brian slowly got up never taking his eyes off of the terrified girl. He suddenly launged at her.

Kellie screamed loudly and began to ran. Brian jumped over the couch and crashed into a table.

Kellie ran out the door and into the woods hoping that she would be able to lose him and call for help.

Her body trembled. She could not believe that her baby brother was dead and it was all her fault. She had disobeyed her parents and had let a stranger into the house.

Fear chocked her making it harder for her to breath as she ran. Her foot steps thumped on the hard dirt ground.

Like claws, the branches from the trees grabbed at her ripping her sweater and scraping her skin.

After running for what seemed like forever, Kellie paused. She could not hear Brian coming after her. She was so happy that she had lost him.

She crouched behind a large bolder and hugged her knees. She began to cry soflty. She could not believe that Trent was dead.

Suddenly her body stiffened at a new sound. A sound that she knew was dangerous. She heard the footsteps of Brian coming closer. She tried to move back and be hidden.

His walk was slow and taunting. Then he began to whistle an all too familiar song. He was whistling the Muffin Man song. Slowly he whistled the tune. The song taunted her.

Her heart was pounding like a drum in her chest. She was fearful that he could hear it. She burried her head in her arms and waited hoping he wouldn't find her. It grew deathly quiet.

Kellie slowly raised her head. A scream caught in her throat. Brians face was right infront of hers. His eyes wild with craze, his face pale in the moonlight.

"Hello." He said in a haunting voice.

He grabbed her roughly and dragged her out of her spot. She screamed and kicked at him in protest.

Brian raised is right arm. The silver blade of the knife he had taken from her kitchen reflected in the light. He quickly brought it down and pushed it through her chest.

He threw her on the ground and stabbed her over and over again ignoring her cries for him to stop. He stabbed her 12 times before he got up. He threw the knife down and took off.

Kellie could barely breath. Her chest felt heavy. She got a sharp rock and in the dirt wrote B R I.

The rock fell out of her hand as her last breath of air left her. Her eyes remained open and staring blank off to the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Officer Jackson found the body of Kellie Turtle three days later. He sighed hard. She had been so young and innocent. He looked at the clues and took pictures of the crime scene.

Then waving his hand, he motioned to the guy responsible for her body.

"Who are you?" He asked as an unfamiliar guy stepped up.

"Hi. I'm Thomas, Thomas Littrell." The guy answered in a friendly southern voice.

Officer Jackson nodded and moved on.

Slowly Brian turned and smiled at Kellie.

"Such a shame all the evidence will be destoryed." He said.

Tucking the knife into his pocket before the men came to clean up the area, he set to work on the body.