- Text Size +
Nick Carter strolled through the one and only quiet spot he was ever able to find near L.A: a small beach hidden by a forest surrounding it. It was a few hours drive from his house, but it was the only place that he could just relax and get away from his hectic life. He loved coming here. It rejuvenated and refreshed him. However, that was not the case tonight. He was strolling next to the ocean, the waves brushing up against his bare feet, when he heard yelling come from the forest. This was unusual, as he had never heard or seen another person in the forest or the beach ever since he had found his hideout. Cautiously, he left the ocean that had been lit up by the moon on the mild summer night and went into the dark woods, following the sound of the voices. As he neared them, he could start making out what they were saying.
“You’ve been stealing money from the company, YOUR company, for ages! Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m talking about!” an irate woman shouted.
“There, there, don’t get hysterical. We can settle this like civil human beings. How much money would you like?” a man said calmly.
Nick, hidden safely by the trees, could now see the people. A furious short, skinny women was in an altercation with a large, overweight man. Another man that was in between their height as well as weight stood to the side, as if not knowing what to do. If it had not been for the words coming out of their mouths, the scene would have been rather comical.
The women scoffed in disbelief. “Get it through your fuckin’ thick skull. This isn’t about money! I’m turning you in!”
“I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.” The man continued his calm tone, but Nick could see him stiffen.
“I’d like to see your sorry ass try to stop me!” She turned on her heal and started walking away. “Let’s go, Michael.” The man who had been standing there not saying anything followed her.
The man she’d been arguing with took a black metal object out of his jacket. It wasn’t until he heard a click that Nick realized it was a gun. The woman and Michael froze. Then suddenly Michael spun around, with an identical object in his hand, as if expecting this. “Drop your gun.”
“You drop yours.”
The two men glared at each other, guns aimed and cocked. All of a sudden the shorter man brought out a second gun and had it cocked and aimed at the woman in a flash. It was then that Nick finally came to his senses. He quietly backed away from the scene and whipped out his cell phone, calling 911. He finished and hung up, not wanting to go back to the scene. He’d just wait here until the police came, he reasoned. He waited for around 10 minutes before hearing the sirens. His breath of relief was cut short as a gunshot rang in the air, causing him to jump, and then there was silence. A horrible deadly silence. It was broken as men’s enraged voices filled the air. There wasn’t a woman’s voice among them, Nick noticed.
Quickly, he made his way back to the scene, even though he didn’t know why. He felt nauseous as he saw what had happened. The woman lay on the ground, not moving, blood soaking through her shirt. The obese man was trying to get away as Michael wrestled him on the ground. He’d shot her. Nick felt numb, not believing his eyes.
The police arrived. They’d arrested both the men and nurses had put the woman in an ambulance before anyone noticed Nick, who was still paralyzed by shock.
A police man that slightly resembled the criminal a bit approached Nick. “It was you that called?”
His voice not really working, Nick simply nodded.
“Would you testify as a witness?”
Nick merely nodded again, the lump in his throat still growing.
Handing him a piece of paper and a pen, the police man said, “Write your name and phone number, please, along with your cell phone number.”
With a trembling hand, Nick did as he was told.
He took back the pen and paper. “I’ll call you when we have a date set.” He walked away.
That was it? Nick had expected a long interrogation of what had happened, or at least a bit more information than that, for instance, the police man’s name. Oh well, he hadn’t wanted to talk about it anyway. In a sort of a trance, he made his way through the woods back to his car.