- Text Size +
Chapter Eleven: Third Time's A Charm


"I wish they would hurry up and call my name already... I hate waiting rooms," Tierja chewed on her thumbnail, swinging her feet back and forth as she sat in the hard plastic chair. Rows and rows of the same chairs filled the room, causing a monotany common in waiting rooms that she loathed.

"Y'know... You would never guess that your best friend is a paramedic the way you freak out about simple doctor's visits," Kevin teased, reaching to take away the hand that he feared she might nibble to the bone.

"I've never liked the doctor's office. The smell and the instruments back there... and then that disinfectant smell. It's almost as bad as the dentists," Teagan sighed, simply chewing on her other thumb. It was her first obstetrician visit and she was nervous.

"I'd be more worried about those stirrups--"

"Kevin! Not helping!" Tierja smacked him upside the head.

"Sweetheart, you're going to be fine."

"But--"

"Tierja Blackwell? You can come back now," a nurse called cheerfully.

"You think they sneak all those antidepressants into their coffee?" Kevin mused, taking Tierja's hand to help her out of the chair.

"Ana says it's the high content of caffeine. Some of them don't even blink anymore," Tierja whispered with a giggle as they followed the nurse.

"But you're positive you want me back here, right?" Kevin called as the nurse led them to the open examination room to get Tierja's basic information.

"Of course I want you back here," Tierja smiled as she slid up onto the padded table, immediately taking his hand again. She was still a little frightened about being at a doctor.

"Your first visit?" the nurse guessed, keying in her password to log her onto the computerized system of patient files.

"Was it that obvious?"

"Just a little, but it's perfectly natural."

"How much are you paid to say that?" Kevin questioned with a small smirk.

"Enough to keep me living comfortably," the nurse joked as Tierja smacked Kevin's arm and she clicked onto the right file. "Alright, Tierja... I just need to fill in a few gaps and the doctor will be in right after that."

"What kind of gaps?"

"The date of your last period, how long they normally last and your blood type. Things like that."

"Do I really have to be here for this?" Kevin frowned.

"Yes, because I said so," Tierja grinned as she rattled off the information, the nurse typing away before saving the file.

"Have you done a home pregnancy test?" the nurse suddenly questioned, glancing up from the thin folder she was carrying.

"I did two of them. Why?"

"Were they positive or negative?"

"Both positive."

"Sounds like a good sign. The doctor will be in shortly."

"Thank you..." Tierja trailed off as the nurse left. "That was one odd woman. I'll have to ask Missy about her."

"How would she know her?" Kevin questioned in confusion.

"It's a small town and with Missy as a paramedic... she knows almost everyone."

"Oh..."

"Are you--" Tierja was interrupted by a soft knock on the door before her doctor slipped into the room with a warm smile.

"I hear we've got a two time pregnancy tester in here looking for the third and final confirmation?"

"Yes ma'm--"

"Please, you don't need to be formal. Dr. Michaels is just fine," the woman corrected, her warm brown eyes shining with humor. She was tall with long black hair pulled back into a low ponytail at the base of her neck.

"Okay, Dr. Michaels..." Tierja trailed, obviously not catching onto the joke.

"Right," she laughed again, seating herself at the computer to quickly type in her own login information. She then turned to shake Kevin's hand. "Mom and Dad, I'm guessing?"

"That's us," Kevin nodded, reciprocating the hearty shake. The word 'Dad' was still new to him.

"And which one of you is pregnant?"

"He is," Tierja pointed to Kevin.

"I what?" Kevin blanked for a moment.

"I'm going to need a urine sample and some blood work," Dr. Michaels continued, unphased. She keyed a few words into the computer and then handed a specimen cup to Kevin.

"I what?" Kevin repeated, actually taking the cup into his hand.

"Oh, it's not even fun when he's like that," Tierja rolled her eyes, taking the cup and sliding into the room's private washroom.

"Mood shifting follows hormone shifts," Dr. Michaels warned Kevin with a laugh, listening to the water run.

"Thanks for the warning," Kevin replied as Tierja came back out with a full cup.

"Do we really need blood work?"

"We've got to be sure."

"Is there any way to take blood without a needle?"

"Afraid not," Dr. Michaels laughed, retrieving a Labortory Sheet to check off the tests that needed performed.

"You have all those tattoos... but you can't handle getting your blood drawn?" Kevin raised an eyebrow as Dr. Michaels ushered Tierja into a chair, needle and test tube in hand.

"That's different!" Tierja scoffed, squirming when she was seated.

"Now don't you start. If you jerk when I do this it could easily infiltrate your vein and that won't be pretty," Dr. Michaels gave a fair warning.

"Are you just trying to intimidate me?"

"Is it working?"

"Slightly..."

"Good."

~*~*~*~

"Missy... Leigh... I just can't believe it... there are so many things I have to do!" Tierja rushed, running a hand through her gelled spikes as she, Ana and Leighanne sunbathed on the deck. Ana had come over to keep each other company while the guys were bonding at the local bar and grill.

"She's nesting already," Ana mused with a lazy yawn, gently stretching her lithe body. She had unstrapped the heavy brace for the time being, just allowing her body to relax within the warm glow of the sun.

"You're funny," Tierja stuck her tongue out at Ana as Leighanne laughed. She took a sip of her water bottle and frowned slightly.

"What I do wrong?" Ana questioned, peaking her eyes open to catch Tierja's frown.

"I don't nest--"

"It's not an insult, Tierja. It's a natural phenomenon that happens with all pregnant women. When it's closer to your due date, Kevin's going to notice that you're cleaning the house like a manic and preparing everything perfectly. It's called nesting," Ana was quick to explain with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh... that's what it means?"

"Duh, you dork."

"Well, I didn't--"

"When's your due date, Tier?" Leighanne quickly interrupted, lowering her sunglasses to the tip of her elegant nose.

"Eight months from now," Ana laughed.

"April 23rd," Tierja answered, throwing a handful of grapes at Ana's forehead.

"Thank you," Ana murmured, popping one she actually caught into her mouth to savor.

"Just for that, you're the Godmother."

"Say huh?" Ana nearly choked on the grape, chugging down some water.

"You heard me!"

"I need clarification!"

"You. Are. Godmother."

"You don't want me as a Godmother."

"Too late, because I already decided that you are," Tierja replied, resting her hands on her exposed abdomen. It still excited her to think a child was growing inside. "Why wouldn't I want that?"

"Because I'm not exactly godmother material. Leighanne is a lot better at the nuturing stuff than I am."

"You're just as good. I saw how sweet you were with that little girl who skinned her knee at the grocery store," Leighanne objected, recalling a recent event. "You're definitely a nurturing type."

"But I'm such an asshole..."

"Not with kids. Just the rest of us," Tierja laughed.

"Don't laugh, I'm serious."

"How can you be serious about being an asshole?" Leighanne raised a blonde eyebrow.

Ana paused for a moment, wrinkling her nose with distaste. "Because I am."

"You are not!" Leighanne and Tierja chorused, throwing more grapes at her.

"Stop absuing me!"

"Kevin says that at night... but in a way where he wants more--"

"EW! TIERJA!"

"What?! How do you think this baby was created?"

"Trust me, I know, but I don't need the damn details about the exact moment of conception!"

"So that means you'll be the Godmother?"

"No--"

"Thank you, Missy!"

"Now wait a damn minute!"

"And I thought life with Brian was interesting..." Leighanne chuckled, popping a few grapes into her mouth as Tierja and Ana continued to bicker.

~*~*~*~

"You do realize what this means, Kev? Two am feedings, diaper changes, baby puke on your shirts, sleepless nights amd--"

"Alright J, I get the point!" Kevin groaned, taking his shot on the pool table as he played against Howie. The other three were entertained with the Playstation 2 and large screen tv down in Tierja and Kevin's basement.

"It's just a life altering commitment, no big deal," Brian chuckled, reaching to snatch the controller from Nick.

"You guys are not a lot of help," Kevin frowned as he missed the shot, merely sinking in the cue ball much to Howie's delight.

"We try," Nick shrugged as he watched the television screen intently.

"I believe that's a scratch," Howie informed, moving toward the end of the pool table to retrieve the cue ball working through the maze of magnets embedded within the table. "And, I'd just like to say that I'm glad you and Tierja are pregnant. Kids are fantastic."

"Thanks, D. That means a lot to me," Kevin smiled as Howie placed the cue ball back on the table. He aimed for another ball and easily sunk it in. "So that means you should let me win this game."

"Sorry, bro. No can do there. Anything else and I can do it," Howie teased as he went to the next ball.

"How about helping me pick out an engagement ring? I'm making it part of the Godfather's job."

"Then why would I be helping you pick out an engament ring?" Howie stated lamely, concentrating on lining his cue stick up against the correct angle of the cue ball.

"Because you're going to be the Godfather, you dumbass."

"I'm the..." Howie glanced up as the pool stick slipped from his hands, flying across the room to land between AJ and Nick. Only, he concentrated on Kevin for the longest moment, narrowing his eyes. "I'm the Godfather?"

"Yeah. Well... only if you say yes. I can't exactly make you, but it would be nice since Tier has asked Ana to be the Godmother."

"Ana's the Godmother?" Howie smiled with approval over the idea, causing AJ and Nick to snort.

"She is," Kevin grabbed a few cue stick chalks and threw them at AJ and Nick. "Does that mean you'll be the Godfather?"

"Well... I've got to complete the set, right? Can't let Ana have all the fun with the first baby..."

"Really?"

"Of course," Howie smiled, giving Kevin a brotherly hug. "Did you say something about helping you get an engagement ring?"

"I know I kind of put the cart before the horse with Tier being pregnant, but yeah, I want help picking out an engagement ring. I have this whole thing about making an honest woman out of her," Kevin chuckled.

"Now he thinks he's Howdy Doody," Nick actually giggled.

"Nick, how do you know who Howdy Doody is? That stuff was in black and white--"

"Nick at Night, Moron!"

"I'll show you Moron," AJ growled, tackling Nick onto the floor.

"Dogpile!" Brian announced, jumping on top of Nick and AJ.

"Just think, if you have a boy, he'll carry the tradition of dogpiles," Howie laughed, stepping around the pool table to avoid the tussle.

"Such a good tradition to continue," Kevin shook his head, trying to remain stern but couldn't help but smile. "It's still hard for me to believe I'm going to be a dad."

"Yeah, but at least you've had practice," Howie motioned to the three men on the floor wrestling and cursing each other out.

"PLENTY of practice," Kevin sighed, rubbing the back of his neck ruefully.

"Not enough practice in a dogpile. Join us, Cuz!" Brian grinned, pulling on Kevin's leg. The older man stumbled and fell into the struggle with a groan.

"I think Brian has a point!" Howie laughed.

"Well, I think you need the practice, too!" Kevin growled as the four of them grasped Howie's leg and pulled.

"MOTHER NO!" Howie squealed, reaching to grasp the top of the pool table to save himself.

"MOTHER YES!" Kevin, Brian, Nick and AJ chorused, pulling one more time and successfully brought Howie down.

"MOTHER NO!" Howie muffled under the pile of bodies.