- Text Size +
Chapter Eight: A Few Surprises


"Mattie! Come here, Mattie! Oh, you're so adorable, I don't even care if I'm allergic to you!" Tierja cooed, picking up the small kitten as she ran into her arms. Howie and Ana had come over the next night to celebrate their engagement. Kevin was on the deck grilling up steaks and hamburgers, the mouth watering smells floating into the house.

"You could always go for the shot to decrease the symptoms," Ana teased lightly, watching Tierja hold the kitten as she sneezed sharply. Only, the kitten became startled, immediately launching off Tierja's lap and underneath Ana's outstretched legs for protection. Gently, Ana tapped against the couch to catch Mattie's attention. "C'mere, baby."

"You know I hate shots," Tierja frowned as Mattie jumped up into Ana's lap, curling into a ball. The kitten was incredibly sweet, but still skittish around new people. "Besides, I'm trying to talk Kevin into getting a puppy. A dalmation or something."

"Those get to be big dogs," Ana commented with a slight shiver as Mattie turned onto her back. Ana seemed to oblige the request, scratching the kitten's fluffy stomach. But the idea of a dalmation in Tierja's home was slightly unnerving. She hated big dogs after being attacked by one when she was younger. The bite almost caused a series of painful rabies shots, something she didn't even want to think about again. "Why not a hotdog?"

"A hotdog?" Tierja raised an eyebrow.

"Y'know, one of those weiner dogs or whatever they're called."

"Oh, you mean a daschund... That dog is too small. If not a dalmation, maybe a beagle or jack terrier. I don't know, all I know is that I want a puppy since I am allergic to cats."

"A tiny puppy, okay?"

"Ana, that dog had an awful owner that trained him to attack--"

"Tier, please?"

"Anastacia Grace--"

"For a newly fiancee'd woman that you never thought was going to get married in her life?" Ana hoped, motioning toward the beautiful purple sapphire resting on her left hand. She wiggled her light blonde brows toward Tierja, hoping to ellicit a smile or laugh. It had always been the joke between the girls that Ana was far too rough to get married. More so, if the marriage wasn't done while jumping out of an airplane or bungee jumping, then there was no way in Hell she'd complete it.

"Oh, you drive me crazy. You know that? Crazy," Tierja groaned, breaking a smile. "We'll get a smaller dog and see how it goes. I still have to convince Kev, you know."

"Convince Kev what?" Kevin asked as he walked in from the deck for a moment. He had given Howie grilling duty.

"Nothing, I just-- Kev, what's what in your arms?"

"What do you think is in my arms?"

"Are you for real?! Kevin!" Tierja scrambled to her feet and squealed when she saw a fawn colored pug puppy dozing in Kevin's arms.

"Tierja!" Kevin teased with his own squeal, allowing Tierja to take the small puppy into her arms. She had been squawking about Ana's kitten for two days now, saying they needed their own pet to christen the house. And, he knew there'd be no peace until she had a puppy.

"He's so adorable! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Tierja covered Kevin's cheeks with kisses, bouncing on the balls of her feet. The puppy woke up from all the commotion, yawning softly with a little yip.

"You're welcome," Kevin smiled, biting back a sarcastic comment as he scratched the top of the puppy's head. "What are you going to name him?"

"Hmm... I think I'll name him..." Tierja lifted the puppy up so they were nose to nose. "Spunky."

"Spunky?" Kevin laughed.

"Spunky! Because I can tell he's either going to have the same personality as me or the exact opposite... it's cute!" Tierja smiled as Spunky lapped at her nose.

"Uh-huh..." Kevin trailed, just shaking his head with amusement.

"My little Spunky," Tierja sang, cuddling him like a baby. "Thank you so much, Kev. This means a lot to me."

"I know it does," Kevin promised, leaning to kiss her cheek. "But, just remember's he's a puppy, not a baby. I don't want to see little frilly dresses or anything like that on our hardcore pug. Alright?"

"Hardcore pug," Tierja snickered with a nod. "You know what I can see?"

"What?"

"You dressing Spunky in a little leather vest and helmet like the tough biker his owner was before he crashed into my life."

"No helmet..."

"No helmet?"

"Yeah, kickass leather vest, no helmet--"

"Well, he would need the helmet, just look at his smushed face!" Ana interupted, wrinkling her nose at the look of the puppy.

"Hey, he's got a cute smushed face!" Tierja stuck out her tongue, walking over to plop down next to Ana on the couch. "And he won't get big!"

"It still looks like he's hit one too many walls in his short life span. It's called brakes," Ana quoted with a smirk, which caused Tierja to scowl. But, the doorbell chimed to avert Tierja's attention, causing Ana to boost herself up with the crutches. "I'll get the door, maybe it's another dangerous motorcycle man."

"You've got your own man grilling--"

"Food's ready!" Howie announced, walking into the living room. "Who's at the door?"

"I have to answer it first to find out," Ana retorted, crutching to the front door as the bell rang again.

"Such a smart woman you have," Ana heard Kevin laugh when Howie snorted.

"Damn straight," Ana mused to herself, balancing herself as she slightly fumbled to open the door. But, when she triumphed over the door, she shuffled slightly to stand in the threshold of the doorway. Only, whoever she might have been expecting was nothing compared to what she found. On Tierja's porch were three men, varying in personality and style. The two blond men were dressed in jeans and light t-shirts, looking clean and mannerly. Though, Ana was quick to center on a dark haired man with tattoos etched all the way up his bare arms. "What? Did your motorcycle crash into these boys' porshe?"

"Excuse me?" the shorter blond questioned with confusion.

"Kev, these guys are here to kick your--"

"Cuz? Nick? A.J.?" Kevin's jaw dropped when he stood behind Ana.

"I thought Aunt Anne said you started seeing a brunette woman with glasses? She's going to kick you so hard when she finds out you're two timing a woman that she thinks is absolutely fantastic--"

"Me and Kevin?" Ana snorted with a wry laughter, leaning back to get out of the way. "You definitely have head trauma from an accident..."

"Guys, this is Ana. She's Howie's fiance," Kevin interrupted any other confusion caused by the impish woman standing behind him.

"So, Howie's really here?" the rough man covered in tattoos questioned openly, actually pulling the expensive sunglasses from the bridge of his nose. His face was emotionless just for a moment, as if he were deciding whether or not Kevin was telling the truth. Though, after a few moments of gazing at Ana, a devilish smile crossed his handsome face. "He's finally got damn good taste..."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" Ana asked, furling her eyebrows.

"With AJ, that's a compliment," the shorter blond spoke up with a wry grin, causing the taller one to snicker as AJ turned to smack them upside the head.

"So, you're the guys from Florida, right?" Ana suddenly guessed, just watching the three strange men get caught within their old habits of bickering. It was obvious that AJ wanted to have a good image in front of any pretty woman, which the other two blonds loved to tarnish. But, Ana really didn't have much information about the three men from Florida. She only knew that Howie and Kevin had been close to these other men during their times in Florida, until Kevin made a fatal mistake. Howie really didn't have the heart to talk about the past, so Ana knew not to question it. She was just content with living her life as she knew it.

"Yeah, that would be us. I'm Brian," the shorter blond broke away from the argument, holding his hand out to Ana. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise... the tattooed one is AJ, so who's the giant toe head?"

"Hey! My head is not shaped like a toe--"

"It means blond, dumbass," AJ groaned. "His name is Nick, but I wouldn't waste your breath talking to him. He might drop your IQ significantly."

"I'll take that into consideration," Ana laughed with approval, already liking AJ and his witty sarcasm.

"Come on in, fellas. The steaks and burgers just got off the grill," Kevin led them inside the house, but Brian stopped him before they reached the living room. "What is it, Cuz?"

"I just wanted to say that even though you were a big jerk in the past... you've changed a lot and we've really missed you and Howie."

"I was starting to wonder when you slammed the phone in my ear the first few times after I got your number from Aunt Jackie..." Kevin trailed, smiling faintly toward his younger cousin. It had honestly been years since he last talked to his family member - the one that he considered to be his best friend. "And... Didn't Aunt Jackie say you got married? So, where's the wife?"

"She thought it would be better to have this first visit be the guys," Brian pulled out his wallet, flipping to his wedding picture. "That's her, though. Leighanne."

"She's gorgeous, Bri. I'm glad you met someone," Kevin smiled, feeling guilty that he had missed his cousin's wedding. He was going to make up lost time no matter what.

"Kevy! C'mon, the food is disappearing!" Tierja hollered from within the living room.

"Yeah, because of your iron stomach," Ana snickered with amusement.

"You haven't seen an iron stomach until you've seen Nick eat," Kevin retorted, causing the guys to laugh as they walked towards the living room. "Babe, save some of the food, we've got visitors!"

"Visitors?" Tierja quipped, watching Kevin enter with three unknown men. She immediately glanced to Ana with disbelief. "Did another stripper fall off the stage and crack his ankle and you took pity on him and invited him for dinner?"

"Why the Hell would I invite strippers to your house?" Ana choked in surprise, unable to believe that all the mischief was always blamed on her first.

"Because that would be something you would--"

"Tier, they're not strippers. Well, at least I don't think they are--"

"Brian and I aren't, but we never knew for sure about AJ," Nick quipped with a proud grin.

"I've made some damn good money from those videos," AJ answered with a wicked grin, hopping onto the couch beside Ana. He slouched instantly to make himself comfortable in Kevin's new home, but felt Ana tense beside him slightly. He glanced down, finally recognizing that her entire right leg was wrapped in a tight brace and resting against the coffee table to be elevated. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

"Not in the least," Ana promised, shifting slightly to accomadate his presence before offering him the bowl of Ranch Doritos. Howie was still grabbing the last of the meat from the grill, so he still hadn't a clue who was present in the house. But, Ana could only hope that he would be pleased.

"Kev, are you going to introduce me to our visitors?" Tierja asked with a raised eyebrow, watching Brian and Nick tussle for the lazy boy.

"Oh, sorry, Sweetheart," Kevin instantly apologized, leaning down to steal a bite of the burger she had perfected. He chewed for a moment, swallowing the tasty meat. "Mmm..."

"Kevin..."

"Whoops," Kevin laughed, glancing toward the three guys. "The one sitting by Ana is AJ. The shorter blond is my cousin, Brian. The taller blond is Nick. These are the guys from Florida. Guys, this is my girlfriend, Tierja."

"Hello!"

"Hey, Baby Girl."

"Hi!"

"Nice to meet you all," Tierja smiled, protecting her burger from any more of Kevin's bites. "Go and make your own hamburger, this one's mine!"

"But--"

"AJ, Brian, Nick, there are steaks, burgers and hotdogs hot off the grill. There's also homemade potato salad, coleslaw and a Jello dessert. Help yourselves, alright?"

"Thanks!" Brian and Nick chirped, rushing toward the kitchen to load two plates of what Kevin knew would be enormous amounts of food.

"I'll wait till those vultures are done," AJ explained, continuing to munch on the potato chips from Ana's plate.

"Tier, here's there's the rest of the stuff off the grill," Howie announced, coming in from the back porch with the final plate of food. He was fully prepared to ask who was at the door, but immediately noticed his good friend AJ sitting with his fiance on the couch, actually sharing a plate of food. "Why is my fiance sitting on the couch with AJ..."

"Because I think he's going to be my new best friend," Ana laughed, watching the color drain from her fiance's face in absolute shock.

"D! Hey, man!" AJ got up off the couch with a wicked grin that seemed to be customary for him. Howie still stood with the plate of food, so Tierja took it and placed it on the table Nick and Brian were attacking.

"J... you're here."

"Yeah, of course I'm here!" AJ laughed, instantly wrapping Howie into a brotherly hug. "Bri got a call from Kevin saying that he found you in Minnesota. We didn't have a damn clue that you'd actually... I mean, you definitely disappeared on me without another word!"

"I know. I just had to get away, I guess," Howie hugged AJ tight. He actually felt felt tears spring forth, clouding his vision.

"Well now that we know where you live, we're never letting you go again!"

"I just... I can't believe it..."

"Me either," AJ laughed, sensing Howie's overjoyed emotions as his body quaked. It had been three intensely long years since AJ had actually seen sight of his best friend. He had been started with the whole ordeal, never expecting Howie to disappear so quickly and silently. Every day his heart ached with a raw pain, because he had lost a piece of his soul when Howie left. Dipping into various activities, AJ never found fufillment, until Brian called and said he had found their long lost friends. "And since when did you think you were going to get married when your best friend was M.I.A.?"

"I didn't want... I thought that... I..." Howie fumbled with his words, still in shock that his old friends were actually there. He could feel his heart heal completely, though Ana had done almost all the work.

"Yeah, you're right, you had to seal the deal early, otherwise I would have stolen her," AJ attempted to joke, glancing back toward Ana with another mischevious smirk. "She's hot stuff. How'd you ever get her interested in you?"

"Had to liquor me up real good at Tierja's bar," Ana added, going along with AJ's teasing. "Y'know, a little bit of Jack, Jim Beam, Tequila--"

"Until he whipped out his huge--"

"That was just a bonus," Ana quipped with a fiesty grin, causing Tierja to just shake her head in disbelief. Ana only managed to shrug innocently, understanding that Tierja knew better than to embarass her so. "Besides, the deal was really sealed when he broke my leg. Scared me into marrying him. He's a wicked Latino--"

"Okay, that's enough Giving Howie Grief Time," Howie interrupted with a frown, glancing up with a start when Brian and Nick barrelled back into the living room. Their plates were piled high and Tierja bit her lip nervously, praying that nothing would spill on her brand new carpet.

"So, does that mean it's time for Ana To Give AJ A Shot Time?" AJ quipped as he sat back down beside Ana, playfully whispering in her ear. Nick and Brian seemed unphased by the events, simply shoveling in truckloads of food after mumbling brief hellos to Howie. Kevin just shrugged aimlessly, sitting himself on the arm of Tierja's chair to offer her some of his food.

"I can already tell these two are going to drive me crazy," Howie sighed, shaking his head.

"But you love them," Tierja chirped, taking another bite of the jello dessert she had made. She and Ana would have to get to know the three long lost 'brothers', but could already tell they would fit in perfectly. Like the lost pieces of a puzzle. "Howie, go get yourself some food."

"Did I ever mention that I never trusted him around my--"

"Bad timing to mention past girlfriends with future ex-wives, D," AJ hissed, acting as if he were physically hurt by the statement.

"Damn straight," Ana laughed with obvious amusement, her blue-green eyes sparkling with delight.

"You're not going to win, man. May as well accept it," Kevin chuckled, yelping in surprise as Tuerja pulled him down to sit in the chair with her.

"But we're not even married yet and she starts referring to herself as an ex-wife with J's help?" Howie protested with a frown.

"Bee..." Ana trailed, beckoning him over.

"What?" Howie continued to frown, walking over to the couch.

"Are you honestly that worried?" Ana asked, shiftling slightly to lower her immobilized leg down to the soft carpet. She then reached for her fiance's hands, pulling him to stand between her legs for just a moment while he glanced down at her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just get worried about that stuff--"

"Don't. I could never dream of being your ex-wife. I love you too much," she pulled him down for a kiss. "You need to stop worrying about everything. That can cause ulcers."

"Ulcers?" Nick mumbled with a mouth filled with food. He immediately shuddered as he glanced to Brian for conformation. "That's when your stomach gets a hole and all the food falls out into your gut-sack right? Just... nasty! Not for me!"

"Because Heaven forbid that you don't get your recommended daily allowance of calories," AJ snorted, moving to gather his plate of food.

"You have such... intellectual friends," Ana teased, keeping Howie bowed slightly so she could continue to kiss him. "I've got to say I'm much happier that I found you first."

"I'm happier than you about that," Howie nodded eagerly, plunging his hands into her curls. "Think how your life would be like if you had fallen for Nick."

"I don't even want to," Ana made a face, glancing over at Nick who was still gobbling down food.

"Brian?"

"Too clean cut."

"Kevin?"

"Lord no!"

"AJ?"

"Tempting..." Ana trailed, biting on her bottom lip with thought.

"Tempting? Why temp--"

"Ana's classic bad-boy syndrome," Tierja snorted with laughter, not even really amazed that Ana admitted to finding AJ tempting. It was just her nature to ruffle Howie's feathers, though she would never tempt to do the unthinkable with AJ. She was completely devoted to Howie in every form of the word, but the look on Howie's face was priceless. "And, let's face it, we're all betting that AJ is a classic bad boy of your little group, Howie."

"He is, you don't even have to put a bet on it," Brian spoke up with a grin and Nick snickered. "The tattoos, the piercings, the clothes. The many times he stole Kev's motorcycle--"

"Excuse me?" Kevin instantly growled.

"Brian!" AJ snapped in horror, noticing Kevin's emerald eyes darken with disapproval. "When you're giving my rep to some gorgeous ladies, make sure to keep other details out that's going to get my ass kicked! I'd rather be getting ass, not losing it!"

"Too bad your ass is invisible to begin with," Nick snickered, slapping Brian's hand.

"Kevy, calm down. Besides, you crashed that bike almost four months ago, remember?" Tierja quipped, shoving a fork of coleslaw into his mouth.

"He still stole it!" Kevin spit with the coleslaw, trying his hardest to swallow and still berate his younger friend.

"You can't do anything about it now. Hush up and eat your food!"

"You are so--"

"Howie, tell him to slow down his prostate or something," AJ scowled, moving to sit back down beside Ana.

"His prostate?" Ana laughed as AJ purposely pressed close into her side, offering her some of his food.

"Doesn't that thing do something in old men?"

"It does something that causes something else not to work..." Ana mused.

"Ana, stop before you even start," Tierja warned, practically shoving food into Kevin's mouth to keep him from yelling at AJ.

"Well, obviously it's not a problem for Kevin at this point in time because you definitely scream like a bansh--"

Tierja blushed furiously, "MISSY!"

"Whoops..." Ana smirked with pride as AJ chuckled against her shoulder with obvious approval.

"You are so lucky to still be in that immobilizer, I swear to God!" Tierja seethed, wagging her fork at her best friend. "Or else your ass would be going in my new pool!"

"Nope, still on the injured list because of my horrendous fiance," Ana explained, noticing that Howie was actually refusing to get a plate of food because he was watching AJ closely.

"Yeah, who still hasn't gotten a plate of food," Tierja spoke sharply towards Howie with a roll of her eyes.

"Huh?"

"For crying out loud, Howie. He isn't going to sweep her off her feet. She's too heavy with that thing on her leg."

"Thanks for reminding everyone that I'm a fat ass, Tierj," Ana quipped, wrinkling her nose in distaste at Tierja's comment. Only, the point seemed mute as she boosted herself up on her crutches. She wobbled for just a moment to find her center of gravity, glancing to her fiance. "C'mon, let's go get you something to eat?"

"But I--"

"You need something to eat, I can hear your stomach growling," Ana insisted, leading the way to the kitchen table.

Howie looked lost for a moment, stumbling to follow her into the kitchen as if he were the one on crutches. "Ana--"

"You're hungry and there's no way that you were leaving me in there alone, so, get what you need, okay?" Ana laughed, nodding toward the last empty plate as she listened to the laughter coming from the living room.

"I just--"

"AJ's your best friend. He wouldn't try anything and I sure as Hell wouldn't let him. Alright? Now get yourself some food so we can go back out there."

"Are you mad at me?" Howie questioned first, just simply gripping his plate tightly.

"No, I love you more than life itself," Ana promised with a soft laugh, tilting slightly in her crutches to deliver a kiss just underneath his chin. "And I find it adorable that you're protective of me. But you drive me crazy."

"Ana, I--"

"You can be protective of me. It's adorable. It also makes me happy that I have someone who loves me like that. I just really doubt that one of your friends would try anything with me," Ana kissed him under the chin again. "Just get yourself some food, Bee."

"Do you--"

"You can get me some Macaroni Salad on your plate and I'll cuddle up next to you instead," Ana promised. "And, after we're done eating, if you want some time alone with the guys, I can have Anthony or someone pick me up and take me back to the house. Okay?"

"Can I answer this time or are you going to interrupt me?" Howie teased, finally piling some food on his plate.

"Depends on what you're going to answer with or ask."

"I want you to stay here. I want the guys to know you, and I'm sure Kevin is going to be the same with Tierja."

"But you and Kevin don't have to be exactly the same. You never really talk about the guys or anything... So, I think it'd be easier for me to just go home. It'll be easier for them and you in the long run. Besides, Mattie keeps me company."

"Ana--"

"You need to spend time with your friends," Ana interrupted, placing her hand atop Howie's lips.

"Ana, no," Howie stated, setting down his plate of food to pull her hand away from his lips. This was one argument that he refused to back down from, no matter what the consequences. "You are the most important thing in my life and these guys are my closest friends. I need you to get to know them. I need them to get to know you."

"Howie..."

"Ana, please."

"Are you sure?"

"I couldn't be more sure of anythi--"

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?! NO FUCKING WAY!" Kevin's voice boomed through the house, startling Ana and Howie.

"Are Brian and Nick...y'know...secret lovers?"

"What?!"

"Well... With the way Kevin's screaming... I didn't exactly what to walk into any serious surprises that might require me to hold a serious face..."


Author's note: Sorry it took so long to update! But Ana and I have a bunch of chapters written, so hang tight! Thanks again, CT!