- Text Size +
Chapter 12 - Attempted Peacemaking

Howie smiled to himself as he walked up to the front door of Rhiannon and Savannah's condo. He dug around in his pocket, pulling out the key that had been given to him to use by Rhiannon. It was so he wouldn't have to ring the doorbell or knock every time he arrived at their home. He had argued, saying it would be too awkward to barge in on the place as if he lived there too, but Rhiannon insisted. And he found it impossible to argue the woman when she was in her stubborn, determined mood.

Sticking the key in to the lock, he turned it. Much to his surprise, it opened with ease. He half expected the key to be a fake. But he turned the door knob and walked inside the now slightly familiar home. He breathed in and could sense something different. It smelled like Savannah, and it was obvious that she was now home, and had been for nearly a week already. This was his first time over to fulfill his job as her personal nurse. He felt privileged to have been honored the position.

"Who's there?" he heard a familiar female voice ring out, recognizing it right away as Savannah.

"Nurse Howie," he joked, walking in to the living room portion of the condo, finding the two best friends lounging out on the couches watching a movie. Savannah smiled up at him as did Rhiannon. "Did I come at a bad time?" he asked.

"Nah, the movie will be over in like, twenty minutes," Rhiannon patted the seat cushion next to her as she uncurled her body and got up in to a sitting position. "Sit and enjoy the end of it with us."

"Then you can give me my sponge bath," Savannah stated, looking at Howie with all seriousness loaded into her facial features and warm eyes. Howie's head turned in her direction quickly, his eyes widening in surprise. There was a slight discomfort in them, as he felt awkward at the thought of seeing the woman in the nude, helping her to bath. Savannah's mouth started to twitch in the corners as her eyes turned mischievous. He looked at her in confusion, wondering what her intensions were. "I'm joking." she assured him as he breathed a sigh of relief, "Although, the offer is always open..."

"Savvy!" Rhiannon exclaimed with a laugh, throwing a pillow at her best friends head, “Quit trying to run off Nurse Howie with your sick humor!"

Howie stood in the entry way to the living area, shifting from one foot to the other in awkwardness. Savannah stuck out her tongue playfully at him and Rhiannon just shrugged apologetically in his direction. He slowly made his way over to the couch, sitting cautiously next to Rhiannon where she'd made room for him.

"What are you watching?" he asked.

"Pearl Harbor," Savannah replied, "Action for me, and romance for the little love addict over there." She nodded in Rhiannon's direction. "Such a sap, she is!"

"Hey!" Rhiannon exclaimed defensively.

"So, um, can I get either of you anything?" Howie interrupted before an argument started, remembering that was the main reason he was there. To help them out and get them what they needed.

"Could you please get me a pillow to put under my leg?" Savannah asked him, "And a can of Pepsi, please."

"I'm good," Rhiannon told him with a smile, shifting her eyes back and forth between him and Savvy. She could see the certain twinkle in his eye when he looked at Savannah, even though he denied through his teeth that there was any interest other than friendship.

Howie nodded, getting up and making his way around the house to search for and collect the items Savannah had asked for. The youngest girl watched Howie leave, not turning back around until he was out of sight.

"As much as I hate to admit it, he has a nice ass." Savannah stated bluntly.

"Savvy!" Rhiannon laughed, "Wow...it took you nearly a month to speak to the man and now you're checking him out...only you."

"One, he has always been my favorite, even though the attraction is on a more mature level now, and two...he's proved himself. The others, however, are still on my shit list."

Rhiannon shook her head, laughing softly to herself. Savannah was definitely one of the most stubborn people she knew and her humor mixed with sarcasm kept things interesting. She didn't know how the girl had decided to give Howie a chance, but she knew that it was a good thing that she did.

"Okay, pillow and Pepsi coming up," Howie announced, walking back in to the living room ten minutes later. He walked over to Savannah and handed them out to her.

"On second thought, the pillow isn't really necessary and I'm not all that thirsty."

Howie stared at her for a second before just setting the two things down. He had a feeling that she wasn't going to hand him the nursing job of a golden platter. She was going to make things difficult for him, but that was okay, because he was just glad to be getting to spend time with the women and getting to know them for their true selves.

*~*~*


“Why don’t you just let it go?”

Savannah sighed. She’d gone over this at least a dozen times with Rhiannon, but her easygoing friend just didn’t seem to see where she was coming from. “I want to know why that blood sucking rodent twisted my words around. He promised he wouldn’t, but did it anyways...I feel I deserve to know why. Besides that, I promised him if he did lie, I would personally beat his sorry ass.”

Rhiannon chuckled and shook her head in amusement, “He’s part of the press... What do you expect? The truth?”

Savannah glared at Rhiannon playfully before breaking into a smile. She just couldn’t stay mad at her best friend and she knew that Rhiannon couldn’t stay mad at her either. She was slightly irritated though, looking up at the digital clock display on the front of the cable box. Mr. Wright was already half an hour late. She was beginning to think that he wasn’t going to show, and if he didn’t, he was in for it worse than ever because for Savannah was determined to get the facts set straight.

“So, um, what exactly are you going to say to the man when he gets here?”

Savannah shrugged. To be honest, she wasn’t entirely sure. She pretty much just wanted a truthful answer as to why. There had to be something...some sort of motivation...that pushed him to lie and twist everything so that suddenly Howie was kind hearted like the others instead of him being the one and only. In the middle of her thoughts, the doorbell rang.

“Could you get that please?” Savannah asked, starting to feel bad that she still really couldn’t do much of anything for herself.

Rhiannon smiled and nodded, disappearing. Seconds later, she’d reappeared with the man that Savannah had met with not all that long ago.

“Good afternoon, Miss Lorden.” he greeted.

“Likewise,” Savannah replied coolly, trying to keep calm. She knew she’d get a lot further if she did. “Have a seat.” she motioned towards a small chair. Rhiannon took a seat next to Savannah, curious as to what this man was all about.

“Glad to see you’re home and feeling better.” Mr. Wright stated, his beady little eyes looking Savannah over.

“Eh, as good as can be expected,” she paused, “Okay, lets get right to the chase. I’m sure you know exactly why I asked you here, right?”

Mr. Wright nodded, laughing nervously. It came out high pitched and reminded both girls of a hyena, “Ah, um, yes, Miss Lorden. I’m very sorry about that...” he didn’t get the chance to finish before Savannah was already interrupting him.

“Why did you do it then? If you’re sorry, why didn’t you just keep your word to me? The world deserves the truth...not some pitiful lie.”

“I can explain...”

“Then do. Enlighten me,” Savannah challenged.
“It’s rather complicated, Miss Lorden...” Mr. Wright tried, knowing he needed to choose his words carefully. This girl could either be your friend or enemy...she didn’t take any bull shit from anybody.
“Um, well, you see...” Mr. Wright started.

Savannah and Rhiannon listened, amused with the words the man was rambling, his eyes darting back and forth, unable to focus on one thing. He was talking quickly, obviously talking out of his ass. Savannah had yet to hear one word of what she felt was the truth or even remotely close to it. But, finally, Savannah just stared at him, unable to believe the excuses the man was coming up with. When she’d finally had enough of it, she held her hand up, motioning for him to stop.

“You sound like a robot... A blubbering idiot… How about telling the truth for once in your pathetic career.”

Mr. Wright sighed. He looked at each woman once over before opening his mouth to speak. Savannah wondered what he would come up with this time. “The truth is, Miss Lorden, that I was paid to keep things clean on the Boys names.”

“Paid?” Savannah choked out, “Who and how much?”

“The Boys as well as their management,” Mr. Wright replied, “They found out about our previous interview and called, wanting to make sure I didn’t have printed that they were scum. So they bribed me with a significant amount of cash…”

“But they are scum.” Rhiannon reminded him, speaking for the first time, coming to her friend’s defense.

“Exactly how much did they pay you to keep their ugly names shiny and bright?” Savannah spat sarcastically with a heavy sigh.

“Two-hundred thousand in cash...”

Both girls eyes widened at the large sum of money he’d been offered. The Boys were definitely desperate, but that still didn’t give any excuse for the reporter to do what he had. Savannah figured she had all the answers she’d be able to get that would tell her anything. The rest would have to come from the Boys, whom she had no intentions of ever talking to with the exception of the sweet Howie.

“You know, it’s snakes like you that make celebrities run from the media.” Savannah seethed even though the Boys had conned him in to doing it, “You may leave now. I believe you’ve overstayed your welcome.”.

Mr. Wright didn’t reply as he let himself out of their home just as Howie was walking up to the doorstep for his daily visit to the girls.

*~*~*


"To be honest, I'm actually looking forward to this." Brian stated, walking up the driveway to the girls’ condo.

Kevin rolled his eyes, crossing his muscular arms over his chiseled chest, just wanting to get this over with. It was another day of faking caring, although up until that point, he felt he'd done a pretty good job of showing that he honestly didn't, bribing the girls, especially Rhiannon, in to getting what he wanted without being kind.

"Me too..." Nick agreed, "And I believe AJ is anxious to try to charm Savannah some more and win her over." he wiggled his eyebrows at AJ.

AJ actually blushed, walking ahead of the others quickly before they could see his shameful guilt. He hoped that Howie wouldn't kill them for just showing up, but the man still wasn't speaking to them, so they'd had to take matters into their own hands and play detective to find out where the women lived. He looked behind him at Howie's BMW parked in the driveway.

"Think enough time has passed though?" Nick brought up, "They've only been home for like, ten days, right?" he got several nods, "Sooo… What if it is too soon to be traipsing in to their home?"

"I don't think there will ever be a good time..." AJ muttered, "We just have to hope for the best and grow from there." He balanced the cake that they'd bought at the local grocery store. It was a sheet cake to feed between twenty-four and twenty eight, on one hand as he rang the door bell with the other. It wasn't long before the front door was opening.

“What are you doing here?"

"C'mon, Howie...we came to visit the chicas," Nick smiled, "Ya know...see how they're doing."

"You're unwanted here," Howie replied darkly, but Kevin was already moodily pushing his way past Howie into the condo unwelcomed, followed by the others. "You shouldn't be here." he tried, but it was no use. He closed the door, following them to where the girls were, waiting for their less than pleased reaction he was sure would come.

"Get the holy hell out of my home."

He smiled at Savannah's voice, always telling it how it was. He heard Nick's attempt to make things right with the cake he'd seen, written in a light blue script on top, GET WELL SOON, SAVVY AND ANN. He cringed. Only those who knew the women well and were close to them could call them by the nicknames. The four definitely did not fall into that category for qualification.

Seconds later, Howie was with the rest of the gang, four men standing awkwardly on one side of the room with the two women on the other, glaring at them as if they'd trespassed on private property, which they had. He joined the women, just staring at what had once been his best friends in total disbelief. He first looked to AJ, who was practically drooling over the radiant Savannah. Nick looked lost and confused, most likely thinking of something completely off the wall. Brian just looked uncomfortable and Kevin looked stone cold and annoyed. They were quite the sorry looking bunch.

"I told you to get out," Savannah said lowly, "Do you not know how to listen?"

"Yes, but we choose not to," AJ replied, "We came to see you and throw you a get well party... Kinda…"

"We're moved." Savannah dryly stated, "Thank you ever so much for your sudden consideration...but truthfully, we won't be getting well soon...it will be slow and painful."

Rhiannon sighed. "Have a seat...on the floor, on a chair…" she then muttered, "In the fire place..."

The words were just audible and clear enough to be heard by the entire party. Howie snickered, One point for Rhiannon. The Boys did not look amused though as they carefully sat on the floor, minus Kevin, who was leaving the room, making his way to the back of the condo into the den. "Nothing like acting like you own the place, you stuck up prick," she grumbled, eyeing him as he sat down forcefully with attitude in the computer chair, glaring out the doorway at the rest of them.

All was silent for a long time. Savannah, Rhiannon and Howie wanted nothing to do with the other three in the room and didn't even want to attempt to make conversation. AJ spoke though, breaking the peacefulness. "You look lovely, Savannah."

"I can't say the same for you." she shot back, causing AJ to wince.

One point goes to Savvy! Howie thought with an inward smirk. He was enjoying seeing the two girls shoot down the men who thought they were so witty.

"Not one of my good days," he quickly recovered, trying to hide his hurt pride. "But hey, how are you feeling?"

"Like crap, but it's an improvement from plain out shit," she stated.

"Ditto," Rhiannon replied, "Sore, woozy, but better than feeling like I am being tortured by a slow death."

The three men laughed at this, "Glad to hear that..." Brian said softly, his accent trailing off. "Sorry we didn't come sooner...sorry for everything actually. Lord Kevin has made things rough..."

"I can see..." Rhiannon stated, seeing Nick look down at the box full of frosted sugar and sweetness. She looked back up at the others, "He definitely is quite the jock strap...fuck stick, ass wad..."

"Woah, woah, we get the point." AJ laughed.
She smiled and even Savannah cracked a small one despite herself. All was quiet for another few minutes. Things were slowly declining in intensity, but there was a long way to go before comfort was an appropriate way to describe the setting.

"Let's cut the cake!" Nick exclaimed, lifting the lid to the large box. Everyone laughed at his eagerness and the way he'd chosen to break the silence. Leave it to Nick...

Rhiannon laughed, getting out of her seat. "I'll be right back." she said, feeling since everyone was starting to take with somewhat of an ease, she could excuse herself for a few minutes. She made her way to the back of her home, stepping in to the Den and starring at Kevin, who was still scowling evilly at everyone else.

"Hi," she stated, taking her chances at possibly breaking his steel hard shell.

Kevin didn't move an inch, looking past her at everyone else. She heard laughter, glad that they were getting alone, although she wasn't sure if it would be a one time gathering or not. In a sense, she hoped it wasn't, for she wanted the best for everyone. She wanted Howie to have his friends back, but for him to stay in touch with her and Savannah too and keep the almost daily visits.

"The others are trying...and I'm actually starting to see that they're somewhat of decent human beings. Why can't you do the same?" Rhiannon asked him flat out when she didn't get an answer.

"They see Howie's genuine kindness is doing wonders and they hate that Howie has alienated himself from us. They miss him. They're hoping their charms will work like Howie's." Kevin replied honestly, "I don't care to make nice with you and Savannah for any reason. There really is no reason to, right? What ticks me off is that they aren't even fucking faking it any longer, It's all actually starting to come from their hearts slowly. They're betraying everything too...including me" His voice trailed off lowly.

Rhiannon shrugged, looking away from Kevin. He was growing uglier by the second to her, both physically and personality wise. He seemed to be selfish, and like it was his way or no way. Kevin continued to scowl in the direction of the others talking and laughing, obviously disgusted by it all. Rhiannon suddenly wished she would have stayed with the others rather than stray away to sit and talk with the alienated Kevin clear on the other side of the condo.

"Well, we're not going to forgive ya'll too easily," Rhiannon joked, "It's gonna take time and effort to rid of the two months of what ya did. Even then it wont be forgotten, but for the most part forgiven, if you play your cards right. Then again, I'm a little easier going than Savannah, but she'll come around too if all goes well."

"Peachy."

Rhiannon rolled her eyes. Kevin honestly wasn't making any attempt whatsoever to be nice and she was running out of things to say. She scanned her brain for something, anything to come up with but was falling short of anything worth conversing over with Kevin, for he was man of little words.

Finally she just started speaking, for the silence was too awkward for her to be able to deal with. "So..." Rhiannon stated, looking at Kevin , "I'm wondering...if Howie dove in to search for and save Savannah, obviously someone else saved me from drowning." she paused before sighing, "I'm just wondering who it was."

"Why does it matter?" Kevin grumbled.

"So I can thank him?"

"It was me"

Rhiannon drew back at this confession, not really expecting it. Kevin had by far been the most conceited and rudest of them all. She'd expected maybe some witness or maybe even one of the other Boys, but definitely not Kevin. She wondered if maybe he had a heart beneath all of the stone he'd built up around him after all.

"Oh," she finally said, "Well...thank you." she offered a smile but didn't get one in return. Instead, she got a deep set scowl and furrowed eyebrows. Rhiannon sighed, "Why did you save me?" she boldly asked, "I mean, if you're so dead set against making any sort of peace with us...or even being civil...why did you even bother saving me? Why didn't you just let me drown. Just two more minutes and I would have been toast."

“Oh yeah, those headlines would’ve been real cute, “Howie Dorough Pulls First Girl to Safety While Other Boys Watch Second Victim Drown From the Sidelines. Like I really had a fucking choice in the matter.” Kevin growled, "The press would've had a field day with that, destroying us in one large swallow. Like I said, there was really no other option."

"I should have known," Rhiannon stated simply, "It's all about your careers. God forbid you actually do something out of goodness. It's all for good publicity and another gold star stuck next to your pathetic name."

She shrugged it off as if it wasn't really that important to her, but on the inside she was crying and hurting. She was sitting in the same room as a man she'd once idolized and had tried numerous things to get to meet backstage after the dozens of shows her and Savannah had run off to. She'd hoped that he would turn in to the man she'd once pictured him to be, but was beginning to see that it was a false hope that would never be. She was starting to think that this ferocious monster was the real Kevin Richardson.

"I'm outta here." Kevin growled, getting up and walking quickly from the room to the outdoors, the front door slamming loudly behind him. Nobody seemed to notice he was no longer with them, and with the way his attitude was, Rhiannon seriously doubted anybody would even miss the man.