- Text Size +
Chapter 17 – Avoiding the Denial

“Why is it that you need so little help getting ready for bed but a big strong man to get dressed in the morning?” Rhiannon quipped in attempts to lighten the situation of Savannah’s painful routine of rounding for bed. It seemed like hours since they returned from Nick’s BBQ ruckus, but mostly because it took Savannah so long to get prepared for bed with her heavy injuries. But, Rhiannon tried to ignore that thought as she poked into the room in time to see Savannah collapse heavily against her large bed, grimacing just at the slight movement of her still painful leg. Usually, most victims of femur fractures would be asked to start putting minimal weight bearing upon the afflicted leg after four months. But, because her leg was completely shattered from her hip to her toes, longer healing time was necessary. It was hard to help Savannah through the days, because the pain on her face was unbearable to watch. Tears would flow freely when no one was around and the depression ate at her soul. Rhiannon knew and absolutely hated to see Savannah in so much pain, both physically and mentally. But, Savannah didn’t want to talk about it, so Rhiannon didn’t push the issue. So after she was ready for bed each night, Rhiannon stepped out of the room, wiped away a few tears, and prepared to go to bed herself. Sometimes she wished Howie was there permanently, because he had such a way of making Savannah forget the pain for even just the tiniest moment and replace that old flicker of fire in her eyes. Rhiannon didn’t know what it was exactly, but it was a gift. A gift she cherished and wished that Howie could see.

“Because it’s easier to get clothes off than on, Ann. God wanted to make it somewhat easier for the opposite sex to get laid once in awhile,” Savannah was quick to retort, shrugging her healing shoulder carefully to slip the bra strap down her arm. She already had Rhiannon undo the hooks of the bra before even attempting to trudge upstairs with the heavy crutches. It was such a painstaking process that Savannah wished she could avoid. Every day of her helplessness seemed like an eternal prison, but she couldn’t let Rhiannon know. She remained cheerful and bright, hating to see the pity radiating in Rhiannon’s beautiful brown eyes.

“Is that the reason?” Rhiannon chuckled, reaching to gingerly pull the bra away from beneath Savannah’s tank top and waiting for her to lower her Capri pants. They said little about the help Rhiannon offered, trying harder to concentrate on other topics. Mostly, Rhiannon wanted to know about the kisses AJ had been giving Savannah during the ending portions of the BBQ. Nick had really been the only one to comment openly about the change, but that’s because Nick really had no class when it came to relationships.

“Well… That and the look on Howie’s face,” Savannah confided with a soft impish smirk. “He looked like he was about to pass out.”

“Well, you’re a beautiful girl, Savannah Grace.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Savannah laughed, finally managing to remove her pants and boost herself back onto crutches to lower the covers of her bed. She was exhausted from their exciting day with the Boys and just wanted to sleep forever. Perhaps, dream about AJ. He had stolen her heart in a matter of moments, which seemed surreal in other instances when she considered her tomboyish charm.

“So… It took awhile for Howie to help you get ready today?” Rhiannon repeated, hoping to lead herself into the correct conversation.

“He’s just a really big gentleman when it came to the whole procedure. He was so proper and formal about the whole ordeal. Like he was dressing a little sister,” Savannah laughed softly, for a moment wishing something more had happened with Howie at that moment. But, instantly, a guilty pain attacked her heart, because AJ had actually asked for permission to date her regularly. So, the thought of Howie was brushed away into a dark corner of her heart and the excitement of AJ’s passionate kisses focused into the center.

Rhiannon paused for a moment, waiting for Savannah to get situated with her heavy immobilizer before pulling up the blankets. “Then how long did it take AJ to get your clothes off?”

Savannah snorted in surprise, “Excuse me?”

“Kevin mentioned that he saw you and AJ upstairs in one of Nick’s bedrooms.”

“So?”

“So?!” Rhiannon gasped in shock. “You were caught sneaking up to a bedroom with a sex legend in the pop industry! Don’t be so offended when I ask whether or not you had sex! It was obvious that something was brewing between you two. I just—”

“Can we go back to the time where we didn’t talk about my sex life?”

“That’s because you had no sex life!”

“And I still don’t!”

Still? After being in a bedroom with—”

“You already mentioned that, Rhiannon Mackenzie!”

“And you’re absolutely flustered with it! So, something had to happen!”

“We just talked!”

“Talked?!”

“Okay, more than talked, but less than having sex!” Savannah grimaced, watching Rhiannon eagerly plop on her bed for more important details. Her cheeks were practically crimson as she did her best to push the stray curls falling against her face behind her ears. “We were in the kitchen to get my ice pack and he was talking about having lunch together. He mentioned that I might have been enjoying the BBQ more so than lunch. I tried to tell him otherwise, but then he started kissing me.”

“Kissing? Plural or singular?” Rhiannon gushed with approval, knowing it was time that Savannah had someone to channel all her energy into. Without dancing, Rhiannon knew that Savannah was lost. She needed something… Or someone…

“Very plural.”

“Oh my—”

“Then Kevin interrupted us and AJ wanted to make sure that no one else did. So, he invited me upstairs into one of Nick’s guestrooms to prop my leg. It hurt so badly that I really didn’t think twice. He’s just a really great guy underneath. Romantic and so passionate…”

“So, upstairs you really did—”

“I can’t believe you think so little of me, Ann.”

“Don’t start that, Savvy—”

“But I’m serious,” Savannah answered softly, finally glancing back into Rhiannon’s light brown eyes. “I’m still a virgin. A twenty year old virgin. And I’m waiting for that perfect someone, y’know? I don’t want it to be meaningless sex. I want to have that connection, so I can actually feel the fireworks. I want it to mean something. I want it to be a gift to the man that I adore and love. Hopefully the man I end up marrying in the long run, but I won’t be skeptical. I didn’t think that a few hours away with AJ for some privacy was going to erase twenty years of conviction.”

“And is AJ that perfect someone?” Rhiannon whispered, admiring Savannah’s strength and the power of her beliefs. Yet, finding it adorable that Savannah became so shy when speaking about AJ.

“I don’t know yet…” Savannah answered, her lips curving into the sweetest smile. “But I’m willing to take the chance.”

*~*~*


Savannah honestly couldn’t stop laughing.

“Okay, I give up!” Howie finally exhaled loudly, turning from the double sink to catch Savannah’s profile at the table. He arched his dark brows in immediately question, shaking the thick layer of soapy foam from his hands. He had just made her a large breakfast and was cleaning up the kitchen since it was impossible for her to do so without causing any serious injuries. Just when he had filled the sink with warm water, the giggles had started. And, with Rhiannon at physical therapy for her burned arm, Howie was left to fend with Savannah’s bright mischief. Not that he minded. He was overjoyed with the fact that he had Savannah to himself and AJ was no where in sight. But, he refused to admit why he was so delighted with that fact. “What’s so funny, Savvy?”

“Nothing…” she trailed, spearing a piece of sausage before hunching with another snort of laughter.

“Pardon me if I think you’re full of—”

“Shit?” she laughed.

“No…” Howie chuckled. “Full of…it…”

“It being shit?”

“Savannah,” Howie groaned, turning to reprimand her cheekiness. Only, he halted within his groan, just staring at the beautiful woman propped at the kitchen table. Despite the faded scar along her cheek and immobilized right leg, Howie couldn’t help but admit how radiant she looked. Even in a loose gray t-shirt and baggy Capri jeans, she looked as if she could jump off the pages of a latest fashion magazine. He didn’t have the heart to chide her, more so, he had the heart to soften a kiss against her lips instead. But, furiously brushing those thoughts away, he plunged his hands into the soapy water to grab the first plate. “You drive me crazy, y’know?”

“Sorry…” Savannah answered, muffling a laugh against her hand as she reached for her glass of orange juice. “I just never imagined that I’d have a Backstreet Boy doing my dishes while I sit at the kitchen table enjoying a fabulous breakfast. I mean, you’re a multi-million dollar group, you could pay someone to do this for you and enjoy breakfast with me! It just seems...surreal… It’s funny…”

“Well, you have a Backstreet Boy as a…boyfriend… So, why should another Backstreet Boy cleaning your kitchen be any different?” Howie questioned, swallowing a heap of pride in order to spit out the declaration of Savannah and AJ’s budding relationship.

“He’s not my boyfriend—”

“He’s not?” Howie blurted, immediately whipping around, practically begging to hear that she turned down AJ’s offer to date regularly. But, with AJ’s increasing affection toward her the previous day, Howie’s brain told him to slow down. But his heart was hopeful. Extremely hopeful.

“I… I don’t really know…” Savannah stalled, slightly surprised by Howie’s stumble to catch her jade eyes while she spoke. She arched her light brows in question, finally leaning back against the chair to stretch her aching back. “He asked if we could see each other regularly and I said that I would enjoy that very much. I really enjoy my time with him. He’s really great and… He’s amazing… So, maybe he is my boyfriend?”

“It sounds like it,” Howie sighed, depressed with her answer and reasonable logic.

“Kind of new at all this junk,” Savannah admitted, pushing around the leftover bites of pancake. “I mean, I’ve dated and I’ve had my fun with guys. But, a serious relationship is new to me. I’m just such a tomboy that I never really checked on my emotions as a female. And I never really had the time to care about starting a relationship. Now it seems like I have too much time.”

“He doesn’t seem like your type, though,” Howie blurted without thought.

“And exactly what is my type?”

“Huh?”

“Well, you think AJ isn’t my type. So, what is my type?”

“Shit…” Howie muttered beneath his breath, knowing he had finally gotten himself into trouble. Turning again, he reached for a dish-rag to wipe the soap from his hands and seated himself beside Savannah at the table.
“You’re such a sweetheart, Savvy. I mean, you’re sweet and wholesome once you break into your hard core. You protect yourself so you won’t get hurt, but you’re filled with so much love for those that actually get inside your heart. You’d walk through the hottest fires for your family and friends. Sacrifice everything for them just to see them smile. You need a guy that respects that wholesomeness and a guy that would sacrifice everything for you. A guy that understands just because you act like a tomboy doesn’t mean that you don’t want the romance and the sweeping passion… Not the…wild bad boy…”

“Howie…” Savannah trailed, not really understanding the deep confession within Howie’s words. Instead, she processed the information into a playful jib, reaching to brush her fingers playfully underneath his chin. Seductively, she answered with a purr, “Every good girl wants the wild bad boy.”

“Damn straight!” AJ suddenly called, popping into the kitchen without warning. He offered a devilish smile as he bent over Savannah, pressing a heated kiss to her lips. He didn’t even seem to realize that Howie was present, intensifying the passionate kiss into a swirl of delight in Savannah’s fluttering heart. Gingerly, he brushed his hands down the sides of Savannah’s sweet face, admiring her as he looked down at her. “How you feeling, Savvy?”

“Mmm… Better…” she admitted with a bashful smile, realizing that Howie was still present. Usually she wasn’t so shy, but outgoing and affectionate. Yet, something about Howie knowing about her relationship made her uneasy.

“I know we were going out tonight with Rhiannon’s permission and all… But, I thought I could come over with some movies… She had something to do today so you’re all alone…”

“She’s not all alone…” Howie murmured.

“Oh, D!” AJ blurted in surprise, not even realizing that Howie had been in the room. He had been so intensely focused on finding Savannah that day that his surroundings were a mute point. He only cared about getting Savannah alone. Their passionate kisses the following day had stirred something deep inside him that he couldn’t let go. “I didn’t see you…”

“Obviously…”

“Well, you’ve got the day off, man. I’m taking care of the beauty,” AJ announced, lavishly reaching down to sweep Savannah into his arms. Pressing stirring kisses against her throat, he carried her into the living room with a deep appreciation for his newfound love.

“What a vulture…” Howie scowled as AJ disappeared with Savannah in his arms, her amused laughter trailing as Howie suspected AJ growled seductively into her ear.

“Who’s a vulture?”

“Rhiannon!”

“I’m the vulture?” Rhiannon laughed, already passing AJ and Savannah as she returned from her physical therapy. She had been delighted to see the smile on Savannah’s face as AJ gingerly placed her to the couch with several heated kisses. But, the delight dissipated when she entered the kitchen to find Howie’s forlorn face. He looked as if his best friend had passed away, just staring at the leftover breakfast he had so painstakingly made to please Savannah.

“No…”

“Then who’s the vulture?”

“Do you think now that Savannah is dating AJ that I’m somewhat obsolete as a nurse?”

“Howie, you’re our best friend, we need you,” Rhiannon assured, reaching to brush an affectionate hand in Howie’s thick dark curls. She didn’t understand the depths of Howie’s despair. “Just because AJ offered her his heart doesn’t mean that you can just disappear. She’d be so upset if you quit on us. She looks forward to when you come and gets this sad pout when you leave for the night. You’re way too important. Probably more important than AJ at this point. So, no, you’re not obsolete. You’re far too important and have a large chunk of Savvy’s affections. Besides, she said you’re the only guy that she wants to bathe her.”

Howie sighed softly, ‘Then why do I just wish that AJ and I could change places?

*~*~*


“I’m just asking if Howie’s there… I need to tell him about the tour meeting on Tuesday… That’s why I’m here… To see if Howie’s there… He’s always there…” Kevin continued to tell himself, slowly walking up toward the girls’ condo with his hands stuffed firmly in his front jean pockets. He was hoping to convince himself that he was just looking for Howie, but Rhiannon was on his mind instead. After seeing AJ so swept up within Savannah’s life, Kevin had longed to be the same way with Rhiannon. He had tried telling himself that he wasn’t ready to get involved with a woman again. To offer his everything with the chance that Rhiannon could take it all away like Kristen. But, she made him want to take the risk. He wanted to love her like she was meant to be loved. So, that’s why he was waiting at the girls’ condo door with his hands stuffed in his pockets, praying that his cover wasn’t as weak as he originally thought. But, all confidence was erased when Savannah answered the door with a surprised smirk. And, Kevin stumbled with his words. “…Uh…Is Howie here?”

“Is his car out front?” Savannah quipped, smiling sweetly as she pushed the door open further with her crutch. Only, Rhiannon was quick to catch the door from opening all the way, hiding behind it. She chewed sharply on her fingernails, just praying that Kevin would disappear, even if she was screaming for him to stay.

“No…”

“Then I guess you have your answer?”

“I—”

“Savannah!” Rhiannon hissed loudly from inside, causing Savannah just to smile broader.

“I’m supposed to be nice to you,” Savannah sighed playfully with irritation, though she really didn’t mind Kevin’s presence. Rhiannon had been explicit with the details of Kevin’s past relationship. And, surprisingly, Savannah understood and promised not to harbor an edge against the eldest Backstreet Boy. Mostly because Rhiannon was obsessed with Kevin and wanted to form a relationship with him. And, Savannah knew that if Rhiannon was preoccupied, then she would have more freedom.

“Who’s orders?” Kevin asked, trying to peer inside to catch a glimpse of Rhiannon.

“Who’s orders would you like them to be?”

“Savannah!” Rhiannon hissed again, poking Savannah hard in the backside.

“Damn, this isn’t fun anymore,” Savannah groaned, arching her back slightly with the invasion of Rhiannon’s persistence. But, she grew tired of Rhiannon’s poking and knew it was impossible to fight the inevitable.
“Look, Rhiannon really likes you and I really don’t have the patience to deal with her nonsense. She thinks you’re probably the best man that ever walked this Earth. So, AJ’s coming over to take me out for the evening and if I wasn’t nice to you, then Rhiannon was going to make me stay home and chain my bad leg to a bed or something. So, why don’t you do us all a favor and take her out, too? That way I don’t have to be punished for her lack of a love life—”

“SAVANNAH GRACE—”

“I’d enjoy that,” Kevin interrupted, causing the door to yank open to reveal Rhiannon’s shocked face.

“Really?” she squeaked.

“Really…” Kevin agreed with a small smile.