- Text Size +
Chapter 18 - First Dates and Mixed Signals of Attraction

Rhiannon sighed as he took of yet another outfit, throwing it aside. She was due to go out with Kevin in twenty minutes now, and in the hour and a half she’d already been trying to get ready, she had yet to be satisfied with anything. She wanted to look perfect, fabulous…she wanted him to find her attractive. Putting on just anything just wouldn’t do for that night. It had to be special.

Rummaging through her closet, nothing seemed to jump out at her. She growled in disgust, wishing that this dating thing wasn’t so hard. She hadn’t dated since she was just nineteen and her long time boyfriend had broken up with her. Heartbroken and sad, she’d never found it in her to date again, until now. She wanted to dazzle Kevin and make him realize that them going out was a good thing. She didn’t want to regret putting her heart out on the line again.

“If you throw one more outfit on the floor, it’s all going to the Good Will.” Savannah laughed, watching from Rhiannon’s bed in amusement, “Is there anything even left in the closet or is it all in a heap surrounding your feet and myself?”

Rhiannon scowled at her best friends sarcastic remarks. She looked back, trying to look mad but couldn’t hide the laugh that was surfacing from her throat. Savannah had at least four pairs of pants and six tops on top of her lap, keeping them there to prove her point. The floor was a disaster. Rhiannon blushed.

“I need to look perfect.” She defended herself, pulling up a pair of flared khaki pants over her lean hips, buttoning them up. She then put on a collared, tight fitting button up shirt in a hunter green color. She looked in the mirror, her eyes narrowing at the sight. Nothing was looking just right to her. This was driving her crazy.

“You do realize that if the doorbell rings with you in just a bra and panties, I can’t exactly run down the stairs and cover for you until you’re dressed, right?” Savannah’s eyes glowed mischievously.

“Savvy!” Rhiannon groaned with a laugh, “Only you. God, I am nervous enough as it is…” her voice trailed off.

“Just letting you know,” Savannah informed her with an impish grin, “Besides that, every single thing you’ve put on so far has looked great on you. You’re the only one who is being overly judgmental on yourself.”

Rhiannon shrugged, glancing at the clock on her nightstand. Ten minutes. She felt her heart accelerate, knowing that she had to hurry. Her stomach was in knot. Looking in the mirror again, she did a long run over her entire attire. She cocked her head to one side, taking everything in. Her hair was down, spilling over her shoulders in long curls. She had on minimal makeup, deciding to let her natural beauty shine through for the night. Then there was her outfit…

“Doorbell,” Savannah announced upon hearing the loud chime of the door coming from downstairs just as Rhiannon was sliding off her pants to change again.

Rhiannon quickly buttoned them back up, mortified. She slid on a pair of slide on heels, picking up the pile of clothing quickly to dump in to her closet, closing the door to hide the mess and ran down the stairs. Savannah laughed when she heard a loud THUD, knowing that Rhiannon had fallen.

“I’m coming!” she yelled, and seconds later the door was opening.
Savannah couldn’t make out what the two were saying, but she figured it wasn’t much when a minute later, the duo entered the room. “We’re gonna head out now, ‘kay?”

Savannah shrugged and grinned, “Fine…but, um…AJ will be here in like, half hour. Kevin, think you could manage to carry me down to the living room to wait? Beings the big, strong man that you are and all…”

“Savannah!” Rhiannon groaned, blushing at her best friend’s boldness.

Kevin just laughed as he gingerly picked Savannah up, slowly carrying her down the stairs, Rhiannon close behind. She hoped that her friend wouldn’t say anything to completely make her look like an ass in front of this man. The man she’d liked for nine years, hated for a few months and now as falling for all over again on a more personal level. She didn’t want to seem obsessed, and knew that if given the right opportunity, Savannah would make her look like some sort of freak all out of fun.

“Rhi-Rhi was really looking forward to tonight,” Savannah informed Kevin on the way down, “She took like, two hours to get ready…she really has it bad for you, Kevy.” Savannah looked back, pleased to see that her task was working in humiliating Rhiannon. She figured it would make for a good conversation piece later in the evening for the two.

Kevin chuckled at this, “I like her too.” He stated simply, gently placing Savannah on the couch, “Do you need anything else before we go?”

Savannah shook her head, “No…my JJ will be here soon. Just go out and have fun.”

“Think we can manage that,” Kevin laughed.

“Bye, Savvy,” Rhiannon hugged her friend, “See you in a little bit.”

Savannah smiled as she waved the couple off, hoping that for Rhiannon’s sake, this would be the first date of many for her and Kevin. Now all she had to do was wait for AJ’s arrival to build on her own blossoming relationship.

*~*~*


AJ made his way to the front door of the two-story condo, wondering if anybody was home. There was no car in the driveway and all the lights were out with the exception of one dimly lighting the living room. He sighed, ringing the doorbell, hoping that he wasn’t about to be stood up. He wondered if Savannah’s acting like she was in to him was just a game to get back at him for being such an asshole in the earlier months. His doubts were lifted though when he heard Savannah’s melodious voice drifting through the condo in a sweet shout, telling him to just “come on in”.

AJ unsurely turned the doorknob, slowly opening the door and slipping inside. He smiled to himself, walking softly across the floor and in to the living room to find Savannah sprawled out on the couch watching A Walk to Remember.

“Hey Sexy,” Savannah greeted, attempting to make room for AJ on the same couch as her. He sat down willingly next to her.

“Hi,” AJ huskily replied, kissing her softly on the lips before turning his gaze to the movie, “I thought you weren’t into romance stuff?”

“Not really…but it was either this or some really sappy movie that would make me wretch all over the place…” her voice trailed off.

AJ laughed, taking her into his arms and holding her there, letting her head rest upon his shoulders. He buried his nose in to her hair gently, breathing it. It smelled heavenly to him, turning him on a great deal. He loved everything about her, but knew he had to take things slow for her sake, respecting her and her privacy, wishes and way about relationships. He knew he’d have to take things at her pace.

“So,” AJ said after a minute, “You about ready to get out of here?”

Savannah looked up in to his eyes, biting her lip nervously. She was so comfortable where she was at. His eyes urged her to respond though, waiting for her speak her answer.

“I’d like to stay in tonight, if you don’t mind.”

Savannah could have sworn she saw disappointment cross AJ’s face, however it passed too quickly for her to really tell. Instead, he smiled at her, running his fingers through her hair gently as he stared in to her eyes.

“That’s perfectly alright,” he told her. “As long as I’m with you, that’s all that matters.”

“Aren’t you quite the charmer,” Savannah said softly. She couldn’t believe that she was letting herself fall so easily for AJ, but something about it just felt so right. Normally, she wasn’t one to let a guy affect her like this. Then again, for the first few months of her relationship with AJ, they’d been enemies pretty much.

The couple continued to watch the movie, Savannah nestling her body in to AJ’s comfortably. Something about the way they fit together felt perfect. They were a perfect match. He understood her wants and needs. He respected her without asking questions. AJ just sat there, perfect gentleman that he was, holding her gently in his arms as if she were a precious gem.

So when he started to kiss her, Savannah thought nothing of it. She welcomed the warm, tender kisses openly, giving in to them eagerly as well as paying him back with her own. AJ repositioned himself on the couch to make it more comfortable for the both of them as they continued to show their affection for one another with the passionate lust of their lips and tongues. AJ brought his hand up, caressing her face with his hand, rubbing her cheek tenderly as Savannah ran her fingers through his short, dark hair.

So when AJ’s hands started to wander, Savannah was surprised as he started to caress her breast. She felt slightly uncomfortable, shifting in her seat to knock his hand away from her private area, hoping that it was enough to let him know politely that he’d begun to violate her.

“Sorry,” he whispered huskily.

“Kay,” she murmured as he kissed her neck, trailing upward until he reached her mouth again.

Savannah thought he’d gotten the hint by the way he kept his hands clear of her more personal regions for a while. He just kissed her, his arms wrapped around her again in the position they’d originally started in. Everything felt wonderful again until AJ’s hand started to find its way down the front of Savannah’s loose pants. She gently pulled it away, but seconds later, it was back, reaching further down. Savannah froze, pulling his hand away as she broke free from the kisses.

“Wha…what’s wrong?” AJ asked, truly baffled by her reaction.

“I’m just not…ready for this…” she told him sternly, knowing if she was too kind, he’d only try again. He was of the male species, after all. They thought with their dick most of the time.

“I’m sorry,” he smiled apologetically, hating the thought of going against her wishes her in any way. He looked sincere enough, “Forgive me?”

Savannah nodded slowly, an unsure smile appearing on her mouth. She shifted her body upright though, telling him that the magical mood had been broken by his persistence.

“Let’s just watch some TV.” She suggested, not really giving him the option to recommend anything else.

Savannah leaned back in to his chest, placing his hands wrapped around her abdomen, her arms on top of his to ensure they didn’t move as they watched TV. She was slightly stiff and nervous now, wondering if he’d try anything again. She was there alone with him, and she knew Rhiannon wouldn’t be back for hours. The thought frightened her, then she remembered it was AJ.
He was sweet and kind. Savannah eased a bit as she remembered this. She had nothing to worry about. The night wasn’t going nearly as either had planned thought. In fact, it was far from it.

*~*~*


Kevin. He looked so perfect sitting there, his dark hair spiked up slightly, his green eyes glowing. He was dressed in black dress pants and a collared green shirt that matched his eyes. He was gorgeous, and sitting there with her, of all people. Rhiannon didn’t get it, for she really wasn’t anything special. She was just like any other average twenty-one year old girl. She had to work many hours to keep up a decent living and came home to crash or go out with Savannah for the night. She didn’t have a glamorous lifestyle. Hell, the glass of wine she was drinking cost more than an entire bottle of what she normally kept stocked in the fridge at home. The dinner would probably be costing her half of the rent for the condo.

“What are you thinking about?” Kevin asked, distracting Rhiannon from her thoughts.

She looked up at him, staring at her so patiently, even after she’d zoned out on him. She could tell that he’d been talking to her about something, and she’d completely dismissed all of it, not even hearing him. Rhiannon took in a deep breath, confused. With what, she didn’t know. Possibly this whole evening. She still didn’t understand completely why he was out with her when he had hundreds of thousands of other women after him.

“This...” she finally spoke, “What made you decide to, well, be nice to me? What changed your mind? You were so angry and...rude...and...” she thought, “You were just a completely different person from who you are now.”

Kevin smiled at her, reaching across the table as he took her hands in his, holding them lightly. He stared in to her chocolate eyes, finding her insecurity adorable. She needed somebody to love her, protect her. He could tell that she was naive and had a warm, light heart.

“That wasn’t really me,” he told her, “I...I explained before that I was just afraid. Then I started to see that you weren’t out to hurt me. You and Savannah were genuinely kind and...I...I don’t know.”

He sighed, unable to explain himself. He felt guilty inside for the months that he brushed off their injuries as if they were insignificant and minor. He knew now the severity of things since he’d become open minded to it all. Once he’d actually gotten to know the women, seeing them as beautiful people inside and out. He should have seen that when Howie had started to become friendly and sincere with them. Howie was an excellent judge of character. That should have been a sign to all of them that the girls deserved a chance and a genuine apology.

“You...you tried to talk to me too...you were sweet towards me, and even when I was an extreme asshole, you didn’t get all bent out of shape. And, well...you gave me a chance.” Kevin continued to explain when Rhiannon didn’t say anything.

“Well, I’m glad for all of this,” Rhiannon told him, “I’m really glad that you proved me wrong. For awhile, I was beginning to think that jerk-off, self centered, head up his own ass Kevin was the real you...not this version, which I thought before...everything. Kevin laughed, telling Rhiannon that he took no offense to her thoughts and views. It just made him want to be a better person. He wanted to be all he could plus more for her. She deserved that much. She deserved respect, understanding, romance and affection. In his eyes, Rhiannon deserved everything good that could come her way.

“I really like you a lot.” Kevin told her, “Just something about you...I feel myself falling.” and even as he said this, his heart fluttered lightly in his chest. She made him feel so alive inside. She made him feel a sort of happiness he never had before.

“I really like you too, Kevin.” Rhiannon replied

“I’m happy to hear you say that,” he replied, easing up a bit now that it was out in the open, spoken aloud, “You have no idea how glad I am to hear you say that.” he couldn’t wait to start to get to now her. Really get to know her, inside and out, all aspects of her life.

“So is this the start of a relationship...like, just us?” Rhiannon asked Kevin, staring in to his eyes to try and read what his thoughts were. They’d gotten off on such an awful start that she was afraid that mean, hostile Kevin would come back. That seemed impossible though as she looked in to those gentle eyes, incapable of hurting anybody. There was another pause before Kevin spoke.

“Yes, I believe it is.” he told her softly, leaning to seal the evening with an affectionate kiss.