- Text Size +
Chapter 20 – Love in the Air

Savannah smiled as Howie left her room, wondering if she even deserved a friend who was so sweet and supportive of her needs. Here he was bending over backwards to make sure she was comfortable and had not only everything that she needed, but wanted as well, but he had never once frowned at any of it. He’d never once made it seem like an obligation, always catering to her with a smile. She knew that he had his own things to take care of, but he never once let on to it, acting as if his own duties could wait indefinitely until she was better. This time, he’d left to make them something to eat, wanting to do it himself rather than call for carryout, delivery or even have Rhiannon and Kevin do it.

Looking around her room, Savannah spotted something sitting on her dresser. She raised an eyebrow, wondering how she hadn’t noticed the medium-sized box before. It was right there, so obvious and in clear, plain view. Curiosity getting the better of her, Savannah scooted herself carefully downward to the edge of her bed, reaching across the two foot gap and pulling the box off with her finger tips. She grinned triumphantly when the box was in her lap, scooting herself back up to her pillows, leaning against them in pure bliss and comfort.

Once positioned, Savannah looked down at the box, seeing it was neatly wrapped with a bow tied around the top. Attached to the box was an envelope with her name scrawled neatly across the center. She arched an eyebrow, remembering now what Kevin had said about how AJ had been in her room to drop something off. She wondered what it was as she gently peeled open the envelope, pulling out a card with a bull dog on the cover, his head drooped low. He appeared to be pouting. Savannah looked at the dog for another moment before opening the card. It was blank other than what AJ had written out himself, filling the card with his own words.

Savvy,

I just wanted to apologize for the other night. I will admit that at first, I didn’t realize what I did wrong, but after talking to some people, they helped me to realize that I was an ass with hormones on overdrive. I didn’t mean to invade you in any way. I care a lot about you and would never hurt you on purpose. Please forgive me and lets try things again. I promise that I’ll be good. I just want to see you again. You make my world go round since I met you. Please, just at least consider giving me a chance.

Love,
AJ

Savannah couldn’t help but smile despite how upset she still was with him. He sounded so sincere and pathetic. A small chunk of ice she had built around her heart towards him melted slightly, the rest of it melting slowly around the edges. Savannah knew she couldn’t give back in to him so easily though. It would ruin everything and AJ would go on thinking he could get away with whatever he wished with her and she’d always keep on taking him back as if it were nothing.

Keeping this in mind, Savannah placed the card back in the envelope before starting to peel the ribbon off of the package, tearing off the paper carefully. The box was folded shut, making her access easier. Unfolding the flaps, she peered inside, first brining out a single red rose, the end placed inside of a small water tube to keep it alive. She brought it to her nose, taking in the sweet scent of it before placing it down beside her, diving in to the box for the next gift. She pulled out the board game, Sorry, brand new and wrapped in the cellophane plastic. On the top was a post it that matched the writing in the card: I know you love board games…give me a call if you need a rival to play against or just feel like talking. You have my number.

The last bit of ice was completely gone by now, her heart a pool of liquid. AJ definitely knew how to win a girls heart over with unique, original romantic ways. He held her in the palm of his hand, and although she was afraid to give in to him for fear that he’d try something again, it was something she was willing to do, feeling as though she could have something very special with the man if the relationship was given the care and nurturing that it needed with patients and sincerity.

Listening carefully for any signs that Howie was returning, she carefully packed away the gifts, dropping the box on the floor next to her before picking up her cell phone, pressing in the speed dial for AJ.

She brought the phone to her ear, listening to it ring six times before there was an answer.

“Hello?”

Savannah froze, her mouth suddenly dry upon hearing his voice. What was she going to say to him? She’d treated him like a leper the remainder of the evening and had avoided him with all she had in her ever since. Here she was, calling him up and her mind was blanking out in a serious way.

“Hello? Anybody there?”

Savannah took in a deep breath to calm her nerves down before finally answering, “He…hello…AJ? It’s me…Savvy.”

There was a long pause and Savannah wondered if he’d hung up on her. Or maybe she should hang up on him and continue the silent treatment. Savannah was confused. All she knew for sure was that she was falling for this man, and despite how much he’d betrayed her trust and hurt her the other day, nothing could stop her feelings from growing stronger. Seconds later, he spoke again
“Wow…um…wow…hi Savvy.” He sputtered, obviously a little bit baffled, “I um…I wasn’t thinking you’d call…especially so soon if at all….” His voice trailed off, “Um, how’ve you been?”

Savannah smiled to herself, glad to know that she obviously held some sort of power over him as well. He was like jello at the moment speaking to her, and it gave her some sort of satisfaction to know that he wasn’t entirely confident. Maybe her blowing him off for a while had been a good thing, forcing him to think about what he’d done wrong and come to his senses.
“Decent,” Savannah replied, “I just called to thank you for the gifts and apology. It was very…noble of you.”

There were a few minutes of silence. Savannah didn’t know if she’d offended him or both were just feeling awkward, unsure of how to communicate with one another after the most recent events of their relationship. It was as if his perverted actions had created a barrier between them that would be almost impossible to break down unless given the proper care and cautions.

“Listen, Savvy…I’m so sorry about what happened,” AJ said, “I…I don’t know what came over me. I…you’ve got to realize I’m used to the kind of girl who is more than willing to jump in to bed with me…she’s the type that normally makes the first move. It…I’m sorry. You’re much more special than any of them and I want to make it up to you. You deserve respect and I didn’t show you that. I’d like to prove that I can give it to you, if you’ll let me.”
Savannah paused, not sure of how to react. She really did like AJ a lot, and with time, she felt she could even love him. He’d hurt her though, and she didn’t know if she could fully trust him. She wanted to give him the chance though. The question was, could she? Savannah bowed her head, truly confused with her mixed feelings of emotion. She didn’t know what to do, but knew she’d have to make up her mind.

“AJ, it’s fine,” she finally sighed, feeling that he was sitting there on the other line, anticipating her response, “I’d like to meet you somewhere…um, so we can talk?” she offered lamely.

“How about tonight?” he eagerly asked.

“Tonight is no good,” Savannah told him immediately, “Howie is here spending the night with me…we’re hanging out. So…”

Her voice trailed off as an uncomfortable silence fell between them. For some reason, Savannah sensed that AJ was jealous of the fact that Howie was there. He had no reason to be though. For one, her and Howie were just good friend and two, neither man owned her, therefore…

“Oh, well…I’ll call you tomorrow then and we can make plans, aight?” AJ asked, interrupting her thoughts. He was hoping that she would agree.
“Sounds good,” Savannah agreed, hearing footsteps coming up the stairs, knowing that Howie was returning, “I gotta go though, so I’ll talk to you later, ‘kay?”

“Okay,” AJ stated, sounding reluctant to get off of the phone, “Goodnight.”

“Night.” Savannah replied, hanging up the phone just as Howie walked in to the room, “Welcome back!” she smiled brightly at him.

“Thanks,” he set down a tray of deluxe nachos with cheese, smothered with melted goo, meat, and lettuce, “Food is served…sorry it took so long,” he apologized, “I was having a hard time finding everything and Kev and Rhiannon are at it on the couch again…so, I decided I would find it all eventually…” his heart swelled when Savannah laughed, then his eye caught the box in her lap, “What’s that.”

Savannah looked down as Howie sat next to her. She looked back up at him as she picked up the box, dropping it down on the floor next to her. “Just some stuff that AJ dropped off for me…” she stopped, “An apology thing for being human’s biggest asshole towards me,” she sighed, “I think he’s sorry.”

“I know he’s sorry,” Howie told her, forcing what he hoped to be a convincing smile, “Let’s turn that movie on now.”

Savannah agreed, her and Howie getting cozy under a warm blanket. The movie started and Savannah rested her head on his shoulder. Howie felt tingles going up and down his body, as Savannah thought about nothing other than AJ’s sweet, kind gesture. Little did she know, it was Howie who had so selflessly given AJ the ideas to win her back, wishing that it were he himself who had her heart.

*~*~*


Kevin held a goofy grin on his face as he stepped in to Brian’s home. They’d agreed to have a meeting that morning to discuss some issues with their upcoming tour. Even though it was still a few months away, there was a lot to get done. His mind wasn’t even close to being on the meeting though.
Rhiannon consumed his every thought, and the night before had been incredible. He felt like he was falling in love. It scared him, yet he knew that the sweet, innocent girl wouldn’t hurt him.

“Uh-oh, Kev’s got himself a sweet little lady to love on,” Nick laughed, the first to notice Kevin walking around in a daze. It wasn’t long before the others eyes were on their oldest friend, seeing that Nick was right.
Kevin though, was completely oblivious to all existence. In fact, he couldn’t even remember how he’d gotten to Brian’s. His car was outside, he had driven himself, but the steps he’d taken to get there weren’t memorable. He’d been in a trance, his instincts and well knowledge of he area leading his way there.

“He’s gone,” AJ chuckled, watching the tall, dark man mechanically make his way to the living area, sitting down on one of the couches. The other four watched in amusement, Kevin still unaware of his surroundings, “He’s completely gone.”

“So, anyways…” Howie asked, giving AJ an evil sideways glare before looking around the room, “What’s this all about?”

“I feel we should wait until Kevin comes back to us until begin,” Brian laughed, looking at his cousin. He was still smiling, a far-away look in his green eyes. They seemed brighter, more full of life, than they’d been in a very long time, “So he’s clued in on it all.”

Brian received several nods, everybody agreeing with this. Kevin had kind of fallen in to the position of the unwritten authority of the group.
Sure, they all had equal say, but Kevin had a strong influence on the others. If he was zoning in and out of reality, then chances were, the rest of them wouldn’t be able to focus. Kevin was the one who helped them keep their ground…other than Nick, whose attention span was as long as a gnat. They needed to focus on this issue though. Time was running out.

“Kevin!” Brian said sharply, drawing Kevin out of his daydream of the previous night with Rhiannon. He was still smiling, but the hazy look in his eyes was clearing, “What’s up with you? Everything peachy?”

“Huh?’ Kevin asked, shaking his head to clear his thoughts, “Oh, yes...everything is great.”

Snickers and chuckles filled the room. Their friend, normally so mature and on top of things, was acting borderline giddy. It was rather comical in their eyes to see the man they looked up to acting like such a fool in love.
It was like watching some sort of comedy from the front row, amusing and just too good to look away from and miss. It was one of those things that
Kevin would never live down for a long time, for he was the one with the least group blackmail against him. This little incident would be perfect to add to his personal collection.

“Care to share the details of your evening with the lovely Ann?” Howie asked.
Kevin just smiled so wide, it couldn’t be peeled off with a tow truck, thinking back to the night before, “It was perfect. She is the sweetest, most sincere person I know. She made me a great dinner. She was going to school to be a chef at first, but decided that cooking was more of a leisurely thing for her rather than a profession. After dinner, we just sat on the couch and watched a chick flick…which was actually very good…”

“Did you really even watch it though, Kev?” AJ raised an eyebrow at the older man.

Kevin blushed, “I…yes, some of it!” he said defensively, “What we saw was good…” his voice trailed off, “Looking at her was good…and the kissing was…”
“Ah-ha!” all four cried out at once, causing Kevin to hide his humiliated face. He wasn’t used to feeling this way. It was something new, but it felt great. He was on cloud nine, his heart fluttering at every thought of his Rhiannon.

“So, everything is going good, I take it?” Nick asked, smiling on the inside. If it hadn’t been for him being drunk and the accident, Kevin would still have the stick, or rather tree branch, shoved tightly up his ass. It seemed everything was fate, working out for a reason in some weird way.

“Perfect.” Kevin said, “It honestly couldn’t be better.”

Howie, Brian, AJ and Nick all looked at their friend, happy that his life was finally taking a turn for the better. Kristen had robbed him of nearly everything, but now he had Rhiannon, who was making him see life in a positive light again. She was good for him, and he was good for her.
They clicked so well, anybody could see it. Their relationship was something special, even as new as it was.

“I hate to break up the happiness, but we are hear for a reason,” Brian reminded them all, “So now that that is all off of your chest, think you can focus?” he asked, looking directly at Kevin.

“Yeah, sure,” Kevin replied.

Brian smiled, happy that things were finally turning around smoothly in every ones lives, “Okay, now lets get down to business…”

*~*~*


Savannah shook as Howie left the small coffee shop. The plan had been that Howie would drop her off, helping her to get settled inside, and then he would disappear, waiting in his dark-window tinted car for her to finish talking with AJ. After that, she would call him on his cell phone to come back and get her. The plan seemed foolproof…perfect. That way, if Savannah started to get uncomfortable, she could speed dial to Howie, and it would be his signal to get his ass back to her.

So as she sat waiting for AJ, Savannah wondered if this had been a mistake. Was she ready to face the man who’d tried to literally get in her pants yet? She wasn’t sure, wondering if she should just leave, placing a note on the table for AJ apologizing, telling him they’d meet another time when she felt she was more calm and stable. Just as she was about to phone for Howie though, the slim, muscular Latino came through the doors, taking off his dark sunglasses as he did so, placing them atop his head.

“Sorry I’m late,” he stated, sliding in to a chair across from Savannah, who had her bad leg propped up on the chair next to her, “Traffic was a bitch coming from my direction.”

“I…it’s okay.” Savannah replied meekly, feeling like a caged animal being cornered, “I wasn’t waiting long.”

AJ gave her one of his famous smiles, it making her knees weak and her heart melt. Why was he doing this to her? He made her so uncomfortable yet so happy all at the same time. She felt like she was falling in love with the man, even though he’d almost hurt her…several times.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet me,” he stated, “I don’t think that you’ll regret it at all.”

Savannah just shrugged her slim shoulders, hating the way he was staring at her. H made her so paranoid after their last encounter. Savannah knew that she should give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he wouldn’t do anything again until she was absolutely ready, but she just couldn’t. He’d have to prove that to her. It would take more than one measly cup of coffee to show her that too.

AJ looked at her oddly, sensing that she really didn’t want to be there. He was at loss for words, wondering what to say, nothing coming to mind. What he hoped was still his girlfriend just sat there, looking so vulnerable and beautiful. She was his angel, in so many words. He had messed up in almost the worst way possible, and he wasn’t sure if anything could make her want him again. This thought made his heart swell in pain, hoping that wasn’t the case.

“So, how’ve you been?” he finally asked lamely.

“Okay, I guess,” she said softly, “Just getting by in life, ya know?” AJ nodded, knowing what she was talking about more than she might have realized, “Trying to heal and get better…it’s a damn slow process.”

“I can tell you’re feeling better though,” AJ offered, hoping it would open her up a little more, “You don’t seem to be in as much pain.”

“Either that, I’m just getting used to it,” Savannah gave a small laugh, “I haven’t decided which it is yet.”

“You still look lovely though,” AJ complemented. Savannah bowed her head, avoiding his eyes. She shifted uneasily in her chair, her leg crying out as a pain shot through it. Savannah winced, but didn’t let it show, knowing she’d have to be more careful, “Listen, Savvy…you do realize how sorry I am, right?”

Savannah didn’t do anything for a second. She kept her eyes down. She shrugged slowly, her head lifting bit by bit until she was finally looking at him. She bit her lip, not knowing how to answer. None of this made sense.
If he was so sorry, why had he done it in the first place? There were so many questions swirling around in her head, none of which she had answers to, other than that AJ was trying awfully hard to win her affection back. A little too hard, maybe.

“I never meant to heart you, Savvs,” AJ finally sighed, “I know you don’t know what to say, or even how to react…I know that I am the last person that you want to see. You don’t have to say anything though. Just think about this. I don’t know what to say other than I am sorry and want to show you I can be the perfect boyfriend to you. So please, will you give me the chance to do that.”

Savannah again said nothing for a very long moment. She wanted to give him this chance so badly, but then again, she was terrified to. Could she trust him? Should she? Savannah honestly didn’t know. It all seemed so surreal to her. Never in her life did she ever think she’d have these feelings for somebody. Here they were though, and as hard as she wanted to, Savannah knew she couldn’t just erase them without giving them a real try.

“Okay.” She finally whispered, watching the smile spread across AJ’s face. The smile that had caused her to fall for him in the first place.