- Text Size +

A.N.: This is based on the adorable dream I had on the night of Dec. 26th, 2001. Most of it is the actual dream, while parts of it are just parts I thought up and added. It was written on Dec. 27th-28th and finished Dec. 29th, 2001. (I worked on it from 10/11pm-1am and for a while Dec. 29th afternoon, as I'd somehow lost four pages [I had interruptions any other time I sat down to write as well]). Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own myself & story idea. Never give out my last name either, just make 'em up. Thank-you.


"Okay class, we're leaving for the auditorium now," Mrs. Keelman informed her kindergarten class. "Remember, you're to stand with your vocal range and where your group stands."

"Yes, Mrs. Keelman," the class replied. "We will."

The class then made its way to the auditorium for the school's annual talent show. Once there, they quickly and quietly scurried up the aisle and to the stairs leading up to the stage.

"Don't forget the song you're to sing," Mrs. Keelman told them. "Also, Lenore, don't forget you're to sing first."

The students nodded as they made their way up the stairs and onto the stage.

As Lenore made her way up the stairs, she glanced out at the audience and froze.

"Oh my God! There's so many people!" She thought nervously. "I can't do this! I just can't!"

She continued on her way, stopping suddenly when she realized she couldn't remember the song they were to sing.

"Uh-oh!" She thought panically. "I'm in big trouble!"

She spotted one of her fellow classmates, who was also her best friend, and scurried over to where he was before he had the chance to make it to his group.

Six-year-old Brian paused when he felt someone tug on his sleeve. He turned onlt to find Lenore standing there with a frightened look on her face. "Brian! I've forgotten the words to the song!" She hissed. "I don't remember what we're to sing!"

"Lenore, what are you talking about?" Brian asked. "We just sang the song yesterday."

"I know, but I can't remember what it was," she told him. "My mind's gone blank!"

They lined up in front of their two separate groups, as they both had first parts. But instead of remaining quiet like they were supposed to, they continued to talk.

"You gotta tell the teacher, or you'll ruin the whole song!" Brian informed her.

"But she'll be mad," Lenore returned. "I don't wanna be in trouble."

"Shh!" A couple of their classmates hissed.

"But you just gotta tell her!" Brian stated, then shut his mouth, as he'd noticed their teacher giving them a Look.

"Brian, I'm scared," Lenore whispered. "What will everyone think?"

"You can't let everyone down by messing up the song," Brian rejoined. "They'd be madder then."

"But I got another song stuck in my head!" She cried.

"What song?" Brian questioned curiously.

"Star Spangled Banner," she said quietly. "It keeps playing over in my head."

"Tell her!" Brian insisted.

Lenore summed up her courage, what little she had, then got the teacher's attention.

"Miss! Miss!" She hissed. "Miss!"

"What is it Lenore?" Mrs. Keelman demanded. "We're abotu to start you know."

"I know Miss, and I'm very sorry," Lenore apologized. "But I've forgotten the words to the song."

"You what?!?!" Mrs. Keelman exclaimed. "You've got to be kidding me."

"I'm sorry Miss, but I don't even remember the name of the song we're to sing," Lenore said, almost in tears. "I can't! I just can't! I've tried, but it won't come!"

Mrs. Keelman turned to thr audience then.

"Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but we're having a minor vocal crisis," she replicated. "We'll be no more than a couple of minutes."

She then signalled for the class to come down off the stage and over to where she was standing.

Lenore was the last one off the stage, and arrived at the group just in time to hear the teacher blame her for their little mishap.

"It seem children, that Lenore's forgotten the words and title of the song we're to sing," she began. "Therefore, I'm afraid we can't sing it anymore, as she's a first part and it's too late to switch her to a smaller part."

The class groaned and a few of her classmates glared at her. They then shoit suggestions at the teacher.

"How's about Old MacDonald, Miss?" One student asked. "We all know that."

"What's Old MacDonald?" Lenore asked herself. "I don't know the words to that."

"Wait!" Lenore piped up. "How's 'bout we sing Star Spangled Banner? Brian an' I know it better. Then y'all can sing O'Canada."

"I don't know," Miss Keelman sighed, as she thought about it.

"Please Miss," Lenore begged. "It's the only song I remember the words too. It's stuck in my head and everything!"

"Fine, we'll sing the national anthems," Mrs. Keelman retorted. "Lenore, you and Brian are to sing the Star Spangled Banner. It's only fair, seeing as you're the only two who know the song. But, you'll still join the rest of the class in singing O'Canada."

"Yes Miss," Lenore whispered.

The class hurried back onto the stage, and very quickly resumed their original positions.

"I'm afraid we've had to change our song, as one of our leads has forgotten the original," Mrs. Keelman informed the audience and the judges. "We'll be singing two other songs instead."

"Whenever you're ready," she told the pianist. "I've given you the correct music. Please bare with the children as not all of themknow both songs by heart."

The music began and Lenore exchanged a nervous/worried look with Brian. She stood on her tiptoes in order to reach her mic, as they hadn't lowered hers, as they'd done Brian's.

"Oh say! Can you see, by the dawn's early light," she began.

As she sang, Brian joined in, their voices blending perfectly. They sang as though it'd been planned all along.

"What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming? Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight," they harmonized.

Meanwhile, the audiences, as well as their classmates, were in total awe as to just how well the two of them sang. Their voices were so powerful, as though they were at least ten and not five/six years old. Everyone in the room, young and old, were totally captivated by their strong, angelic voices. Even the pianist was so amazed, that he'd stopped playing and just sat there listening to them.

"O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly steaming? And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there."

The two of them were singing their hearts out, giving the song all they had in them. They felt as though they were in a world of their own and completely forgot about all the people gawking soundlessly at them. As they neared the end of the song they reached out to one another and held hands, not quite realizing they'd done so.

Brian then walked over to stand next to Lenore with his mic in his hand, although the microphones weren't supposed to be removed from their stands.

"O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave O'er the land of the free," they sang, dragging the last note out. "And the home of the brave?"

They carried the last note untl they both felt as though their lungs would burst, then trailed off.

They were met with thunderous applause and a standing ovation. They smiled at each other, and gave the other's hand a squeeze.

"Well, there's no point in continuing the performance," the one judge stated. "As we've already made our decision."

"Though it was to be a class effort," another judge started. "I think we speak for everyone when we say..."

"This year's winners are, the god sent angels themselves, Lenore Bessie and Brian Littrell," the third judge finished. "Congratulations!"

The two looked at one another shocked. Lenore then hugged Brian and began to jump up and down, causing him to do the same as to keep his balance and not fall over.

"Now she jumps," one on-looker commented laughing.

They were passed their trophey, while in the process of bouncing like kangraroos.

"We won!" She cried excitedly. "Brian! We won!"

"I know!" Brian replied happily as they stopped jumping around, and he placed the trophey on the floor. "I heard."

They pulled apart, smiled at each other, then, for some unknown reason, quickly kissed.

"Aww," the audience sighed.

They smiled again and hugged once more.

"I told yah you could do it," Brian whispered. "I told yah!"

"Thanks," she whispered back. "You made me forget to be nervous."