- Text Size +
A.N.: Well, hope y'all are liking this fic as much as y'all do my other ones. Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own myself & story idea. Never give out my last name, just make it up. Thank-you.

Ten years later.....

"Singing alone - for the first time ever - here is Lenore Bessie," the M.C. introduced at the Tate's Creek High Annual Talent Show. "Before she begins, she'd like to say a few words first."

Lenore shyly walked out, and gave the audience a weak smile before speaking.

"Hey y'all," she said nervously. "As y'all have probably noticed, I'm missing my other half, better known as my partner. I'm afraid he can't be here today. As y'all know, he's gone off to join a pop group known as the Backstreet Boys. I was informed by him, that the group had other commitments to attend to today, and that I was to go on by myself. Please bare with me, as I've enver sung in front of an audience alone before. Thank-you."

The pianist began to play, and Lenore nervously started her favourite Reba McIntyre song.

"I could have waited forever, if I'd known that you'd be here. We could have shared our lives together, and held each other close all through the years," she sang. "But I met someone before you, and my heart just couldn't wait. So no matter how much I adore you, I've got to stand behind the promise that I made."

As she sang, she didn't notice the back doors open as five guys quietly entered the auditorium. She was also completely oblivious to the fact that one of them was sneaking up onto the stage as she began the chorus. She didn't even know he was there until he joined in.

"Where were you, when I could've loved you? where were you, when I gave my heart away?"

She trailed off after 'away', as she'd heard a voice she hadn't expected to hear, join in.

"All my life, baby I've been dreaming of you," Brian smiled, reaching out to take her free hand in his, silently encouraging her to go on.

She looked at him with tears in her eyes as they harmonized.

"But you came along, one promise too late. You came along, one promise too late."

Amazingly the pianist was still playing, and they were able to have their little music break. Lenore stared at her other half in disbelief; she was totally shocked that he'd come all this way just to sing with her in the talent show. The music break ended and they continued.

"I won't say that I'm sorry that I met you. I can't have you, but I never will forget you. Where were you, when I could've loved you? Where were you, when I gave my heart away? All my life, baby I've been dreaming of you. But you came along, one promise too late. You came along, one promise too late.

The music stopped and they went on to finish the song, totally putting their hearts into it, as they did every year - Lenore's voice over-powering his this time.

"Where were you, when I could've loved you? Where were you when I gave my heart away? All my life, baby I've been dreaming of you. But you came along, one promise too late. You came along, one promise too late."

Once they were done carrying out the last note, they embraced, Lenore beginning to cry into his chest.

Brian leaned down a little and whispered in her ear.

"You remember the beginning and chorus to our song, I'll Never Break Your Heart?"

She nodded, not moving her head from his chest.

"Then let's finish this show, shall we?"

He brought his left arm back around to where they'd both be able to sing into his mic.

"From the first day, that I saw your smiling face, honey I knew that we would be together forever," they began, swaying to the music in their heads. "Ooh, when I asked you out, you said no, but I found out, darling that you'd been hurt. You thought that you'd never love again. But I deserve a try honey, just once. Give me a chance and I'll prove this all wrong. You walked in you were so quick to judge. But honey he's nothing like me."

"I'll never break your heart. I'll never make you cry. I'd rather die, than live without you. I'll give you all of me, honey that's no lie," they went on. "I'll never break your heart. i'll never make you cry. I'd rather die, than live without you. I'll give you all of me, honey that's no lie."

No sooner did they finish the last line, than did Brian pull back a little, to wipe the tears off her face with the fingers on his right hand.

"Don't cry, Honey," he smiled sweetly. "You wowed 'em all on your own."

"You jerk!" She hissed, shoving him away from her.

The audience, who'd given them yet another standing ovation, half froze when they saw her shove him, then glare at him. The whistling and screaming died down some too.

Lenore gave him a menacing look for all of ten seconds, before smiling at him, kissing him quickly, and hugging him once more.

"You numskull," she giggled. "You scared me half to death when you began to sing."

Brian just smiled. "Honey, they're bringing you your trophy."

She looked at him oddly. "I won?"

"Well, duh!" He exclapmed joingly. "Like, hello, didn't I just say you wowed 'em all on your own?"

The judge passed her the trophy, then asked, "So, Lenore, how's it feel to have won the trophy by yourself this year?"

Lenore blushed somewhat. "I didn't do it on my own, Sir."

"Why, whatever do you mean?" He asked.

"I only won it 'cause someone insisted I go on without him," she answered. "Also, if it weren't for the fact that he made me sing to him everytime we talked, I wouldn't have been able to do it at all. I was so scared and nervous, but he encourage me every step of the way. He told me I had the voice to do it, so I had best do it or else."

Everyone in the auditorium hung onto her every word, as though she were a famous musician and not just another student.

"Therefore, this trophy, as usual is for the two of us. Not only 'cause he made me come out here today and sing by myself, but 'cause he flew all the way back home just to finish the song with me." She hugged Brian again, then the two of them walked to the back of the auditorium where the other guys were waiting. Once Lenore had spotted them, she groaned and buried her head into his chest.

"You could've at least told me you'd all be here," she mumbled into his shirt. "If I'd known that...."

"You wouldn't have sung any of the song along," Brian finished for her. "You honestly think I'd ruin the element of surprise just so you could try to talk your way out ofdoing something you love?"

"No," she muttered, her head still buried into him. "But a little hint of warning couldn't have hurt any either."

Brian just smiled and hugged her tighter. "Aww, Sweet Pea, you know I only mean well."

"I know," she sighed, resting her head on his shoulder. "But sometimes, you're just too good to me."