- Text Size +
“Lost Souls”

“There’s something inside me that pulls beneath the surface, consuming, confusing…this lack of self control I fear is never ending. Controlling…I can’t seem to find myself again, my walls are closing in…” - Linkin Park, “Crawling”

Chapter 11: Seek and Destroy

Justin walked along the empty hall. He knew he was late, but at the moment he didn’t care. His mother would keep him in this school no matter what he did, despite how much he’s wanted out these past years. This place seemed to suck the life from you. Most here never seemed happy. He could understand why Ray Anne and Brian were here though; he would rather be here as well than be stuck with their uncle. He wished he could have been there for them these past years, but his snobby mother made it impossible till now.

His mind stayed within the consuming thoughts. He didn’t pay attention to where he was going, and he accidentally knocked Nick Carter down. He blinked before reaching down to help the kid up. He never could get along with him, never did like him much, but if he’s Ray Anne’s and Brian’s friend, he may as well try. Nick pulled his hand away roughly before getting up on his own. He grabbed his stuff and his eyes narrowed at Justin.

“Look Timberfuck, I don’t feel like doing this shit right now.” He pushed by him and continued down the hall. Justin turned and watched him walk away for a moment. He then continued his way down the hall. Nick is one person he just doesn’t get. He sighed as he heard the rain start to pour outside once again and rolled his eyes. Could it ever stop raining here? He yawned tiredly and made his way to class. That Carter was a weird one, that much he knew.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They slinked along the halls as the final bell rings. They waited in the shadows for the ones they seek. They shall follow, they shall stalk, and they shall complete their task. Piercing eyes stared through the mobs of people with their one purpose. Seek and they shall find…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ray Anne strolled down the hall with Justin, AJ, and Julia after their last class ended, as they headed down to Julia’s room. Ray Anne loved to avoid her room when she could. She did not ever enjoy facing down Jamelet. Julia pulled her short copper hair back into a ponytail, and her soft blue eyes skipped over to Justin. Alex seemed to be distracted somewhat himself, his soft coffee eyes swirling with discontent.

“So what is the deal with you and Nick?”

Justin blinked, and ran a hand through his messy short blonde curls. “Honestly I don’t know, we just could never get along.” He shrugged. “I never liked him much…”

Ray Anne glanced at Justin. “Why is that?”

“Just never did. The feeling is mutual from him. Besides that look at how he was with you, just could not take a no…”

AJ nodded speaking up, “Nick is hard to figure out. Case closed. The shit between him and Justin has gone on since 9th grade.”

Julia watched her with concern and interrupted Justin, not agreeing with his thoughts on the quiet insecure teen. “Nick is a nice guy though, besides Frick is rapidly becoming best friends with him. Brian is good when it comes to people, he can tell if they’re assholes or not in the first five minutes he talks to them. ”

“Okay you have a point there, I’ve known Rok since we were little kids and you’re right but…”

“How about we just don’t talk about it!” Ray snapped angrily, the subject getting to her rapidly.

“Sorry BB” Justin replied quietly.

“Look I didn’t mean to get pissy but I just don’t want to even hear the name Nick Carter right now and-” she stopped and turned around, her eyes as if in search for something. Julia and Justin stopped as well and stared at Ray with curiosity at what she was looking for.

“What?”

The young blonde shook her head as she kept looking around. “There was someone following us…”

Alex looked around; he felt the same thing Ray did. It was strange, yet he didn’t question it. Someone was there just moments ago, despite how now he couldn’t see anyone there.

Justin raised an eyebrow at her. “Uh you sure? I don’t see anyone.”

“Me either girl.”

“Yeah but I know what she means, I think someone was too.”

Ray growled with annoyance and crossed her arms over her chest stubbornly. “No there was something there.”

“Did you even see anything Ray? What about you AJ?”

“No but still…why would either of us make this up?”

“No but I know there was something there following us. I know it.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anastay sat on her bed, her homework strewn about her. Not that it mattered much, but she had to keep up the appearances for her deception. She held her pendant within her hands, bored and getting the urge to play with her skills once again. Now it was more risky however with her false sister now going to this school and becoming her new roommate. This complicated things. She sighed and concentrated until the amulet glowed with a pure white light and soon her physical form could no longer be seen. She left the room and walked down the hall. Time to get to know the other seven, things she knew they would never tell. There were things she needed to know and invisibility was the only way to do it.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian wore another long sleeved shirt as he sat on his bed and glanced over at Nick who was finishing another painting. He was itching to do something, get out. He didn’t want to sit here for then the urge may come. The urge he could not deny. He couldn’t do it while Nick was here though.

“Hey Blondie.”

The young man looked up and shifted his gaze over to Brian. “You’re blonde too.”

“Not as much as you, lets go do something.” He grinned a little. “Sitting here doing nothing is driving me crazy.”

Nick laughed slightly, “I think you’re already crazy man.”

Brian got up and went to Nick, tousling his hair playfully. “Up for a game of basketball?”

The urge began to fill him again, a small itch traveled up and down his marked arms. He pushed any thoughts of that away. Not with Nick here. He couldn’t. he could never be discovered. Never. No one would understand.

Nick grinned back at him and nodded. “Sure, I need the break.”

Brian grabbed the nearest pillow and swatted him with it softly. “Good I need someone to beat. Prepare to be vanquished!”

Nick stood and set the pillow aside. “Yeah you’ll win.”

Brian frowned, “Nick, come on, you gotta stop doing that.”

“Doing what?”

He shook his head, “Never mind, come on, lets go play.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Jamelet lied on her bed, and smirked when her eyes took in Ray Anne’s side of the room. She never stayed in there much anymore. Just the way she liked it. Let the spoiled brat get some rough stuff herself. She needed to learn life wasn’t always fair. She sighed, things with Nick were going the way she wanted it. She could tell by the way he acted. Yet, her mind went back to Kevin. She shook her head at herself. Forget Kevin. She didn’t want him or need him.

Howie had come by today to talk to her. She sighed; it wasn’t like she could tell him. This was all to protect him. She knew he could sense something was up. He always could with her. There was no other option however; she had to lie to him. Then he brought up Nick and said it was a bad idea. Why? Cause of the spoiled prissy bitch of all people! It made Jamelet want to scream. Ray Anne did not have claim on everyone, and that included Nick or her brother for that matter. She rolled her eyes at the thought. She was going to keep things up with Nick. He was hot and he was hers. She had heard something had been screwed up between them anyways. Her loss was Jamelet’s gain.

The phone rang and Jamelet jumped at the sound. She dreaded answering it. But she had to, who knew who it could be. Yet, deep down, something told her who it was, and what she would most likely have to be doing again soon. She shuddered at the thought. That man made her skin crawl. Her eyes watered as she picked up the phone and listened to the voice on the line. Randal, that confirmed her suspicions. She was going to have to suffer through that twisted man’s torture again. Again. She soon hung up. Why did this have to happen to her? Jamelet sobbed into her pillow until she fell asleep from pure emotional exhaustion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kevin entered his room from another day of work. He collapsed on his bed with pure exhaustion. He didn’t know how much longer he could continue this for. He was doing this so maybe for once Alex may get the chance at a normal life this year. Kevin desired one as well but he could see it wasn’t possible. Jamelet was a perfect example. He had really liked her then she cancels, and before he could ask her why he saw her hitting on Nick. So he said forget it, and hid his growing jealously. He had resigned to his fate. Alex would not have to though. Every other year he has had to work and miss out. Sure, he covered up by acting out in his humorous ways, but Kevin wanted more for him. He winced at the pain radiating from his back. Sharp pains traveled up and down his spine. He could barely keep his eyes open. Yet, he could not sleep. He had an extra shift he had chosen to take in only an hour. Perhaps he could just call and cancel. As much as he hated to admit it, even he had limits.

It stayed in the shadows, and stared at Kevin with a deep satisfaction. He could play this one easily. This one would be easier than the task the other one had with the cutter. It flies up into the air and wisps about the raven haired man’s head unseen, and whispered to it with a deep alluring tone.

“What about Alexander…you must work…work work work to save the life he should have. Save your brother from your own forceful life…rescue him on your own…”

Kevin sighed and slowly rose from the bed. Wait, what about Alex? He couldn’t call in. He had to work. He had to work as hard as possible. Not for himself, but for Alex, for the life their mother tried to gamble away from him. If he himself could not escape this work filled life, he would rescue Alex. Asking others for help was not an option either. He had to keep their dignity. He had to rescue him on his own.

~*~*~*~*~*~

It smirked as it entered its room; everything was going the way it should. Soon these weak pathetic things would have no chance to even discover their purpose. The one sent from Amarella was a great distraction to them as well. While the beings were distracted by her, its troops can follow and discover exactly what is needed to kill them with no problem at all. Instead of saving others like herself, she shall damn them all unknowingly. It smirked happily, very little work for it and its troops. It was too easy, just a simple strategy of seek and destroy.