- Text Size +
A/N- Okay, now this story is hopefully something you guys like, but I need to know!!!! Oh and I promise this is not a romance, there might be a lil in the fic, but that's it. The action will enter the story soon enough. Anyways, here's the next chappie for ya, so enjoy!

"Lost Souls"

~**Chapter 3: Kevin Richardson & Alexander McLean, Overworked Souls.


Kevin dragged his feet into the large house tiredly. His shoulders slumping forward as he hung his black leather jacket by the front door. He had just come home from work, his hours being from 7am to 12pm that day. Also, it was a long drive back, so he had gotten home at 1:30 pm. Kevin was exhausted, but he still had to pack his things and drive himself and Alex to bright Sky's campus which was two and a half hours away. He groaned loudly, for all he wanted to do was sleep the day away but he couldn't do that yet. He walked up through the empty mansion silently, thinking of the twisted irony of a life that he and Alex shared.

To everyone else they had the perfect life: a loving and responsible mother, beautiful mansion for a home, money, talent and good looks. Now only the last two were true. Talents, well, Kevin had a deep soulful voice and his fingers made magic when playing the piano. Alex was a little different; he was a great singer with a strong voice, a graceful dancer, and a very convincing actor. Looks wise both boys were handsome, eighteen year old Kevin with dark black locks hanging about his face, framing it along with his captivating green eyes, and a strong, tall and slightly rugged body. Alex, two years younger was a smaller, and more wiry, but still had a built body. His Latin roots showed through in his darkly tanned skin, chocolate eyes, and brown spiked hair.

Unfortunately in reality, that was the only perspective people have of them that were true. The rest of them were the exact opposite of what their lives are really like.

'If they only knew the truth!' Kevin mused, shaking his head. ' Then I know they wouldn't wanna trade lives with me or Alex.'

He headed up the white marble staircase slowly, his aching pleading for rest. The footsteps echoed eerily in the large mostly empty house. When he got to the hallway, he turned and started toward his brother's room, but stopped. Kevin spun around and headed towards his own room instead. He collapsed on his bed wearily, catching sight of the pictures that adorned his room of him and Alex as kids. A few were with their mother, and some with Alex's father. There were none with Kevin's father however; his father left them before Kevin was even born. Alex's father soon came along and was a real dad to him. Soon enough Alex was born. He was only two at the time. Alex's father stuck around up until Kevin was ten and Alex was eight. It still stung for them, because they had been a true family then. Then their father decides to leave them all for a woman who was younger then their mother. Both brothers figured this was about the time their mother, Mrs. McLean, began to snap. She started drinking crazily, doing drugs and making insane bets. Within five years almost all of their family fortune was gone, leaving Mrs. McLean with numerous debts made with people willing to endanger him or Alex to get to their mother. So, Kevin and Alex both went out to get jobs and have been working in every spare minute since. Almost all of their furniture ended up being sold, only keeping some in the kitchen and the bedrooms they actually used for themselves. The only reason they could afford Bright Sky was because they were scholarships, but no one else knew that. Their car was a 67' corvette that needed to be fixed up badly, and Kevin and Alex did it beautifully, making it a candy apple red. It looked expensive and is worth a lot now, but wasn't when they had first got it. Sadly, their mother started finding the money and making even more bets and doing more drugs and wasting it in other ways. So they had to get a separate account that she couldn't find or access. Kevin sat up, packing his bags quickly, realizing they had to leave soon. They couldn't even say good bye to their mother for she was in her room, passed out in either a drunken stupor, a drug high, or both. Kevin walked down the hall dragging his bags to Alex's room it was time to go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alex drifted out of the dorms, towards the school theater. He was happy he gotten the voice lesson with nick and Kevin done yesterday, for they would probably come in handy today. He adjusted his black silky shirt, pulling up his sagging blue jeans. He rubbed his silver necklace anxiously for luck. It was a long silver chain with a charm that had a ferocious lizard head that was baring it's teeth, and in the center was the stone, amber. Kevin had one as well, only his was a Lion's head, with a bright stone of garnet in the center. Alex wanted luck with his tryouts for the first musical, Grease.

'It might be a little tired.' He mused, 'but it's fun and a good thing to start for people who didn't get a chance to practice over the summer, like me.'

He entered the hectic theater speedily, hoping he wasn't late. Alex lived for this, it was a way of evading reality for him, out of the hellhole he had to call life. He looked back at the doors for a second, happy that nothing could touch him beyond these doors. He went to turn around, when he rammed right into somebody.

"OW!" She cried from the floor. She stood, but her script and the contents of her purse were scattered across the floor.

"I'm sorry, it's my fault. Let me get that for you." he bent down gathering her possessions for her and giving them to her. He stood, finally getting a good look at the girl before him.

"It's alright, I completely space sometimes. Thank you though." She said laughing.

He took in the young lady before him, her 5'8" athletic body nicely tanned and glimmering in the light. Her blonde hair curled and bouncing playfully about her face. Her crystal blue eyes sparkled with light as she gazed at him kindly.

'Wow, a new girl.' He thought, 'A cute one who isn't even snobby! That's gotta be a first.'

"What's your name?" he queried, looking about the large theater amusedly. "I mean since we'll be working together on the play and all."

The girl rolled her eyes teasingly and smiled, "Ray Littrell."

"That short for something?"

"Ray Anne, but if you call me that I'll have to kill you," she said in a mock serious tone.

He chuckled gently, "Mines AJ."

She grinned, "Is THAT short for something?"

"Alexander James, but if YOU call me that I'll torture you." He joked.

She giggled, as the two of them walked to a bench, Ray sat and placed her things alongside her while AJ signed in and grabbed a copy of the script that they were to read from for the audition. He sat beside her, fiddling with his brown locks.

"So what part are you going for? Hmm…let me guess, you'd be a….Sandy."

"Of course, but my voice needs some work, so I'll probably get Frenchie or Rizzo."

"Maybe, see, I'm going for Danny and-" he paused as he caught sight of Nick who stood timidly against the wall, reading over the script. Alex sighed, wishing that he could convince the kid the he and Kevin really were his friends. The kid needed some confidence, they were the same age, both at sixteen, but sometimes Alex felt as if he was years older. Alex stood up yelling, "Nick! Nick! Over here!!!"

The young blonde gazed about uncertainly. He hesitated but in a few moments came over to the two teens.

"Hey Alex, um…who's this?" he asked, motioning towards Ray Anne.

"Oh this is-"

"Ray Littrell." She finished, rising up. Her eyes never left Nick as she flipped her blonde curls flirtatiously.

"Nick Carter."

Her heart fluttered when he grinned at her. Alex rolled his eyes them annoyed. 'Figures,' he thought 'Carter's a regular heartbreaker, too bad he's too shy to ever make the first move.'

Nick's deep blue eyes suddenly became thoughtful, "Littrell right?"

"Yeah…"

"You related to Brian Littrell?"

She giggled, "Yeah, he's my older brother."

"He told me a lot about you."

"Hopefully good things." She joked, they began to gaze into each other's eyes when AJ caught their attention.

"So Nick?"

"Oh…uh…yeah?"

"Who you aiming for?"

Nick smirked," Hopefully Danny, but I'll probably get Kenickie."

""Well, why are the auditions now? Why not after school starts?"

"They do this because it's easier for our drama teacher Ms. Candela to get a good idea of the skills her Advanced Drama students possess. If all goes well, they'll have the casting list posted on the doors tomorrow when school starts. Open auditions that are for the rest of the school are in a few hours; adv. drama students always get first dibs. We have a pretty tight schedule to follow so this has to be done today."

Alex was about to continue on when they heard a shrill voice shout, "Number 18! Ray Anne Littrell! You're up!"

"Wish me luck boys!" she told them, and ran to the stage excitedly.

Alex and Nick watched play and excerpt as Sandy remarkably. Her stage presence was incredible, and her face was seemed to be completely innocent, as if she really was Sandy, and it didn't hurt that her natural looks fit the part. Her singing voice was good for someone who didn't take singing lessons or anything. The teachers nodded eagerly, as they spoke of her performance, and Alex knew she would get a major part.

"Number 20! Nickolas Carter!"

Nick was terrific as always in Alex's opinion while he watched him read a part as Danny and one as Kenickie. He was like Alex and lived for the stage. The two of them had been taking drama classes together since the eighth grade, 3 years later and nothing about that had changed for either of them. The boy was a shoo-in for both parts, his voice echoing beautifully through the theater.

'I wouldn't be surprised if he did get Danny" he reflected. Alex heard his name called and rushed to the stage cheerfully. Once up there he became Danny, playing the part for all it was worth. On stage he was a star in another world. Where he could be anything, do anything. He had another life there, and was always living it to the fullest. When he was finished he saw the teachers talking happily and realized he nailed it. He walked off stage his mind elsewhere.

'My life is perfect on stage. Why can't it be that way when I'm off?' he asked himself mentally as he caught sight of Nick and Ray chatting outside and ran off to catch up with his friends