- Text Size +
A/N- Hey people, sorry it took so long, again. This chapter ended up being a LOT longer than I originally thought. Here’s your chapter, hope you enjoy, and please Review!!! Pweety pweeze? *grabs Nick and he does the puppy dog face* C’mon, no one can resist this! Hehe, anyways, later!





“Lost Souls”



~**Chapter 5: The Beat Goes On…



Alex McLean trudges to the back of the classroom, tiny video camera in hand. He knows that without a doubt he would get bored within the first five minutes of class. It was Geometry class of all things, and after his “thrilling” U.S. history class he needed a something to this period until lunch. He sees Nick at the teacher’s desk in front of the classroom and waves wildly, causing the boy to smile. AJ grins, Nick is a student aide in this class, in his mind that could make things a little more interesting for him. Maybe this class won’t be so bad after all.



Ray Anne Littrell enters the room bashfully, appearing to be a sixth grader lost in the high school with that aura of innocence surrounding her. AJ knew that innocence couldn’t be real, if it was, well…he could work around that. He motions for her to sit next to him and she does contentedly.



“What’s that for?” she inquires, pointing at the camera while she set her baby blue backpack beside her desk.



AJ smirks evilly, “You'll see.”



Mr. Oakie, their teacher, walks into the room and stands before the class. The bell rings shrilly a moment later.



“Hello class, now unlike most teachers we will dive right in today and begin. Please open the textbooks under your desk and we will begin section 1-1.”



The class groans loudly. He begins to talk about today’s lesson. The second he did, both Ray Anne and AJ tune him out back in the last row. Ray turns towards Alex again immediately.



“So…what’s the camera for?” she asks again eagerly.



“You’ll see…if you’re lucky.”



“Aw, Aje, c’mon.”



“Nope.”



Nick watches them whisper to each other excitedly in the back of the room. His ocean eyes blaze with jealous anger. He stands up and walks to the table behind them and sits down at a computer, entering student’s name into it furiously. Ray turns towards him then smiling.



“Nick!” she calls out to him softly. He looks up at her to see two notes tossed on the table for him. He opens Ray’s first, reading it happily.



*’Oh Nicky boy!



Hey aj & i have an idea 2 make this stupid preppy school a little more interesting meet us after class we all have 1st lunch together after this class anyway. let us no if ur in!



~Sunny~’*



Nick shakes his head at the two goofs, laughing quietly. He was curious about what they had planned.



‘As crazy as AJ is, and from what I’ve seen from Ray Anne so far, this can’t be good. Or even HALFWAY sane.’ He muses as he opens AJ’s note.



*’Kaos,



Remember that name? Well, ur gonna earn it again by da end of da school yr listen we’re gonna “rehearse” during lunch, since I KNOW we’re all gonna be in grease. But thats all i'm sayin, or u’ll say no. u in?



Bone.’*




Nick chuckles at the old nicknames. He, being the master of pranks when he was younger had been called “Kaos.” AJ, being so skinny and such a ladies man, had been called “Bone” for obvious reasons. He only wishes that they were friends, not just someone AJ hung out with out of pity. But, he’d take what he could get. He writes a reply and passes it to them quickly. the teens begin fighting over it teasingly but AJ finally gets a hold of the note and opens it.



“So, what’s it say?” Ray questions, snatching the note to read it for herself



*’Sunny, Bone,



u 2 r insane! i'm in, but only cuz u’ll bug me till i agree ne-way. y do I get da feeling u 2 r up 2 no good?



Nicky boy, aka: Kaos.’*




They look at each other as if the other was completely insane. Neither knew about the other’s nicknames.



“Nicky Boy? Sunny?”



“We came up with them first period. What about you? Kaos? Bone? Okay, Bone I don’t wanna know, but Kaos?”



“Oh, trust me…he can cause it when he wants to…majorly.”



Ray rolls her eyes. She finishes taking her notes for Geometry. She was eager for class to be over. Lunch was definitely going to be entertaining.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



“Flour.”



“Yeast.”



Jamelet hands the ingredients that were needed to make their bread over to Howie. Her mind was elsewhere. Wondering if there was anyway she could get “Cha-Cha” in “Grease”. She wasn’t much of an actor, but all that role really needed was some extreme dancing skills and she had those. The two teens mixed the dough supplies together silently. It was Home Economics II they were taking, for Home Ec I was how to sew and make clothes, while Home Ec II was how to cook. Their teacher had decided they should start right away.



‘Nah, I won’t get picked’ She thought, ‘only a miracle can get me to become THAT good.’



“Jam?” Howie called, bringing her out of her thoughts.



“What?” she replied, grabbing the yeast and throwing it into the mix distractedly.



“Do you know an AJ McLean?” he asks, grinning playfully.



She laughs, “You mean ‘Crazy Bone’? Of course. He’s one of the best dancers here. Why?”



“Curious. He’s in my U.S. history class this year.”



“Then that I guarantee that class will never be dull.”



“I figured. So you think you’ll get the role of Cha-Cha in Grease? It’ll be cool to work on it with ya since I’m part of the stage crew.”



She flips her brown ponytail over her shoulder; not realizing another ingredient entered their bowl as a result. Howie finishes mixing the items together, and places a towel over it and lets it rise.



“I found out at dance practice last night that all the advanced dancers who aren’t already in the play have to be extras in all the dance scenes. But me, get Cha-cha? Yeah, right, a girl has to be the best dancer in the school to get that role.”



“You ARE the best dancer in the school.”



“You say that because you love me.”



“Whatever you say Jam.” He replies, rolling his eyes.



The two stepsiblings continue to chat about the play as well as whom they thought was going to get the lead roles. That is, until both pairs of tan eyes caught sight of the ever-rising dough spilling over the bowl and continually growing.



“Jamelet…”



“Yeah?”



“Houston, we have a problem. BIG TIME.” He states, pointing at the dough that was now all over the counter in their small kitchen station and still rising.



“Holy Shit! How the hell did this happen?”



“You got me!”



Both begin to hurriedly try to scoop the goop all back into various containers they grabbed. It didn’t really work though, seeing that in their rush they would put too much in a bowl, set it aside and continue with another. The bowl one of them just set down would just rise over again. Their teacher Mrs. Hopkins comes over and she didn’t look happy.



“What happened here?” she demanded, her steel gray eyes skipping about the messy, doughy, kitchen.



They stood there silently, still not sure exactly how the accident happened. Howie speaks up first, “We honestly don’t know. We left it alone to rise and the next thing we know its attack of the killer dough.”



“Did you follow the recipe? Did you put extra yeast in?”



“Yes to number one, no to number two.” They replied.



“Yeah, I put some in so-”



“Wait, you put in D? That can’t be right, cause I-”



Their tan faces lock onto the others in realization. “Oops.” They mutter sheepishly. Mrs. Hopkins shakes her head, chuckling at their mishap, her gray eyes sparkling as her jet black hair flew about her face. The bell rings for fourth period/first lunch. Jamelet and Howie look at her expectantly. She sighs.



“No harm done I suppose. I have a prep period next, so don’t worry about the mess, that’s what janitors are paid for.”



“Thanks.”



“Yeah, really.”



They walk out of the classroom, Howie turns to Jamelet.



“You have first lunch?”



“Nope Government. You?”



“Yeah, cause stage crew is the same period as Adv. Drama fro obvious reasons. Plus yearbooks wants pics of first day stuff.”



They walk down to their lockers, still joking and laughing about the “killer dough”. Neither Jamelet nor Howie ever noticed the young girl watching them intently from across the hall.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Nick, AJ, and Ray Anne all stroll out of their Geometry class as the bell rings. The three of them all had Advanced Drama together forth period, but they had first lunch first.



“So AJ, whatcha planning?” Nick queries curiously.



“You’ll find out eventually.”



The guys talked as Ray Anne becomes lost within her troubling thoughts. Everything was going well so far. People thought she didn’t have a problem in the world. She looks up at the bright blue sky as they walk into the open quad area. It was a beautiful day out.



‘Mom and dad should be enjoying days like this still. Brian and I shouldn’t be alone. I know everything would be better again if they were still here. I can’t believe Brian asked me to be a photographer for the school newspaper. I haven’t taken professional photos since I was a kid. Mom taught me-” she thinks as she feels her curls being tugged at. Ray turns to see Nick grinning sheepishly at her as AJ keeps walking on ahead of them.



“Penny for your thoughts Sunny?”



“Not nearly enough for what I’m thinking.”



“You alright?”



She fakes a smile, “Of course.”



“You sure…” he pursues, his face filled with concern.



“Yeah, don’t worry about it. I’m just thinking.”



“’Bout what?”



“My parents.”



He shudders involuntarily, thinking of his own, “Why, are you gonna see them soon?”



She hesitates, “No…they um…died when…I was thirteen.”



“Oh, I’m sorry,” he embraces her tightly, each enjoying the comfort it gave. “If you ever need to talk, I’m here.”



“Thanks, but I’m cool, really.” They hug again, holding each other blissfully. AJ stops and turns to see them, fuming. Jealousy raged within him, but he tries to brush it aside unsuccessfully. His anger boils against the pupils in the chocolate irises of his eyes.



“Guys! C’mon!”



The two blondes gaze into each other’s deep blue eyes as a silent understanding passes between them. They turn around and catch up to AJ who stares at them intently.



“What?”



“So what are we doing?”



“Yeah Bone, tell us!”



“Fine.” They huddle together, quietly discussing Alex’s idea, their faces filling with excitement. Neither could believe what he had in mind, but they couldn’t wait to put it in action.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Howie enters the noisy cafeteria, preparing to take pictures of people during the first day of school. He notices a large crowd gathering around three tables in the center of the room and goes over to it curiously. Howie hears the beginning notes of “Summer Nights” from the movie/play “Grease” play loudly through the speakers scattered throughout the cafeteria, and gazes up to see AJ McLean, Nick Carter, and a girl he didn’t recognize. She was wearing a light green t-shirt and shorts, and had curly blonde hair. He figured she was new. He pulls out a digital camera that he got from yearbook and begins recording this as a video clip for the CD Rom version of the yearbook after he takes a few pics. In his mind this was too good to miss, especially since it had to have been planned by none other than AJ McLean.



“Summer Luvin, having a blast…” Nick and AJ begin, their voices blending beautifully throughout the cafeteria. All three of them had headsets on so their voices were heard clearly from all the speakers.



“Summer Luvin, happened so fast…” the blonde girl sang, her voice strongly resounding through the room.



The three teens sang the entire song like that together. Each having his or her own unique flair and style, yet it had been a perfect match for that particular tune. The song ends and the students surrounding the tables go wild with appreciation. Nick and the girl step over on top of AJ’s table all bowing as the applause continued. Howie kept on recording, laughing at the scene. The girl and AJ caught sight of Howie and the camera and began posing jokingly. Nick looked away, acting shy and unsure.



“Thank you, thank you! Just trying liven up things up here ya know?” AJ says as the crowd cheers for them.



“Yep, and for y’all who don’t know, I’m new here. Name’s Ray Littrell and I PROMISE that y’all be seeing lots of me this year. Now ladies, I think we ALL know Nick Carter over here.”



The girls all go crazy, screaming madly, slips with phones numbers flying up to the tables, and even a bra with a phone number on it landing atop of Nick’s head.



“Um, thanks, I think.” Nick replies, blushing, pulling the bra and dropping it on the table with the other numbers.



Suddenly the doors burst open and the school police and deans rush in. Dean La Bond leads the way as she pushes her way through the crowd, and glaring at AJ, Nick, and Ray.



AJ spots them saying, “Okay, I think that’s all guys, for I believe our biggest critic, Dean La Bonbons is here to take us off the air.”



The school police get a hold of them, carrying them towards the cafeteria doors and intending to go to the Deans’ office. All of the officials forgetting that they still wore the headsets and the microphones were still on.



“Remember what you saw here!” Ray cries out, “Tell our story! We will not be silenced!”



The students in the cafeteria burst out laughing along with Howie who was recording them being dragged out and yelling. He takes a few more last photos and then the trio is gone.



“Hey, what happened to freedom of speech?” they hear AJ ask, the headsets and speakers still on. “Well, freedom of song anyway.”



Laughter is heard again throughout the room, but the speakers and headsets are then shut off so they could hear no more. The bell rings and everyone starts off for class talking of the incident. In their eyes, AJ McLean, Ray Littrell, and Nick Carter are heroes.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Kevin sits in a seat in the middle of the classroom, knowing that Government wouldn’t be interesting whatsoever. His concert piano class was cool second period though; he met this girl named Ray Anne. She was Brian’s baby sister and extremely talented. She was going to be the one who would be playing the piano during his concert choir class. Speaking of Littrells, he sees Brian come in and take a seat in the desk next to him. Kevin smiles, the boy is fun to sit by when you’re bored, he learned that in his psychology class last period.



“Hi Brian, long time no see.” He jokes.



“Yeah really.” Brian replies laughing.



Just then a petite, stunning girl comes in, with long brunette tresses tied in a low ponytail and wearing a white blouse and black dancer’s skirt. His emerald eyes bore into her as she comes up to him and Brian. His gaze never leaving her.



“Hey Brian.”



“Hello.”



“Who’s this?” Kevin asks, beaming at her.



“Kevin this is Jamelet and vise-versa.”



“So what’s up?” she sits next to Brian, rolling her eyes as she places her dark purple backpack beside Brian's navy blue one.



“Not much, only my roommate. She’s so annoying, a little preppy smartass bitch. Excuse my language; she just makes me so angry!”



Class starts, but none pay much attention. She was just discussing normal first day stuff, nothing important.



“Who is she? Brian may not know her since he’s new, but I might.”



Jamelet leans forward towards Kevin, smiling at him. She fiddles with her hair, tightening her ponytail distractedly.



“Oh…um…Ray something or other…I think.” She waves her hand away as if it was nothing but it had caught Brian’s attention. “She’s just some snobby rich brat who wouldn’t know a REAL problem if it slapped her it the a-”



“Ray Anne Littrell?” Brian interrupts, his azure eyes flashing.



“Yeah! That’s i-”



He rises quickly, not caring what anyone else thought.



“That’s my little sister! How can you say that about her! You know nothing! You don’t even know her!”



Jamelet stands screaming, “Obviously you don’t either if you think she’s perfect! The other day when she first arrived I found her drunk off her a-”



“ENOUGH!” their teacher yelled, “What is the meaning of this?!”



Kevin stands up, moving between Brian and Jamelet and separating them hastily.



“We’re fine, it’s nothing Mrs. Claire.” He assures, trying to cover for his friend.



“I ought to send you all to the office for this outburst. Don’t let it happen again.”



“It won’t.” Kevin promises, gazing at her pleadingly.



“Good, sit so I may continue.”



The three of them sit. Brian and Jamelet glare at each other for a moment, before pulling out their notebooks and writing notes to their friends.



“Oh yes it will.” They both mutter, with each rebelling in their own way.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Ray Anne, Nick, and Alex all hurry out of the Deans’ Office after their lengthy lecture for their “disturbance” in the school cafeteria. Their fourth class had started thirty minutes ago and all were eager to see the casting list for “Grease”. Ray, AJ, and Nick begin running towards the theater the moment they were out of Dean La Bond’s sight.



“What role do you think you’ll get Ray?” AJ asks, performing a cartwheel in front of her playfully.



“Rizzo.” She jumps on Nick’s back. He catches her and starts giving her a piggy back ride there. “What about you Aje?”



“Hopefully Danny.”



“You Nicky Boy?”



“Want Danny, but I’ll get Kenickie, Bone’s a shoo-in for Danny.”



“So are you Kaos.”



“Whatever man.” He says, setting Ray Anne down again when they reach the theater. Rushing through the doors, they go immediately to Ms. Candela. All around the theater students had scripts in their hands and were rehearsing their lines. Nick shudders when he sees a junior with short curly blonde hair and blue eyes, Justin Timberlake. He never did like the guy. He sees Justin eying Ray Anne and glowers at him until he turns away. They check in with Ms. Candela, telling her why they were late and giving her their passes.



“So…” Ray begins, bouncing up and down excitedly, “Where’s the casting list?”



“Against that door Ray Anne,” she says pointing; “But-” it was too late; the trio were already pushing their way to the list. “You need to meet the cast first.” She mutters.



“Oh my gosh!!!” Ray squeals when she sees what role she got.



“HELL YEAH!” AJ yells happily. The two of them begin to do a victory dance together. Not seeing the disappointment spreading across Nick’s face. Ray’s eyes glance at his momentarily and see the sadness embedded in them. She stops to question it but before she could, Ms. Candela calls the class together.



“Okay,” their teacher announces, “this will become a busy production, and we do have deadlines. Much of your free time WILL be spent here. Rehearsals will be immediately after school everyday starting tomorrow.”



The class disperses and Ray Anne, forgetting about Nick, goes to check the list again to see who else she’ll be working with. She knows she’ll love doing this, but doesn’t realize she might’ve bitten off more than she could chew when it came to AJ and Nick.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Brian and Kevin sit at a table outside the cafeteria. They had second lunch together, leaving both a tad annoyed that neither of their younger siblings had it with them. Although they did hear of the stunt they had pulled with Nick Carter and neither of them were surprised.



“Brian, what was that about with Jamelet?”



“Well, you met my sister second period, so you know she’s nice. I know I may have overreacted, but she’s been through a lot Jamelet doesn’t know about. She doesn’t need that from her. I hate the fact that Jamelet judged Annie like that.”



Kevin pats his newfound friend on the back supportively. “It’s okay man, but you’ve gotta let her fight her own battles.”



Brian nods, “I know. I guess its just habit to protect her anymore.”



Jamelet walks up to them slowly, looking away shamefacedly.



“What do you want?” Brian demands coldly.



“Listen Brian, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize that Ray was your sister. I don't like her, but I should keep that stuff to myself. Friends?”



He grins, “Of course. We need to finish eating though. I wanna check the casting list during lunch.”



“Why?”



“I tried out because I lost a bet with Nick. I kinda wanna know if I made it.”



Kevin throws away their trash, brushing off his hands. “Does Ray Anne know?”



“Nope. Didn’t want to get her hopes up.”



“Cool. Let’s go. I want to see if I’m a good enough dancer to get Cha-Cha.”



The three seniors stand up and start heading towards the theater. The fight long forgotten as new friendships begin to unfold.