- Text Size +
Just warning ya, no BSB in this chapter

Chapter 23 ~August 1994~

It had been almost 5 months since the boys went over to Europe. They only came back one time, and that was at the beginning of June for four days. Denise and Felicia visited the boys twice during those five months. The other families visited as well. Felicia was also feeling better about her feelings for Nick. Because he wasn’t around her all the time, she forgot about those feelings. School was going to be starting up again soon. But because Felicia’s tutor was in Europe, she would need to start going to a public school.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Denise asked as they pulled up to the school.

Felicia smiled. “I’ll be fine.” She gave Denise a peck on the cheek. “I’ll see you at three?” she asked as she stepped out of the car.

“Yep, right out here. Good luck sweetie,” Denise said before she drove home.

Felicia turned around and looked at the school and sighed. Please, don’t be like the kids in Ohio.

~*~*~

After receiving her class schedule, a map, and a welcome from the Principal, Felicia headed off to her first class; English with Mrs. Keys. Since it was the first day of school, she figured she wouldn’t need to stand up in the front of class. Maybe I can just hide in a corner. Felicia walked into the class room. All of the students were involved in their own little conversations; what did they do over the summer, who’s the cutest new couple, who should be a couple. Felicia looked for a seat in the corner, but it was already taken. In fact, the only seat open was in the front row. Just my luck, Felicia sighed. She took her seat, and zoned out until the bell rang. A short, tan woman walked into the room, right up to the black board.

“Hello class, I am Mrs. Keys. If you have any friends who had me in the past, they might know me as the crazy lady,” Mrs. Keys joked, getting some type of response from everyone in the room. “When I call you name for attendance, stand up, say something interesting about yourself, and what your favorite book is.”

Aw great, Felicia thought. She really only paid attention to the names, but even then she wasn’t paying attention much.

“Felicia McLean,” Mrs. Keys said, looking around.

Felicia sighed. “Um, I like to write poetry, and my favorite book’s are the Baby-Sitter’s Club series,” she said quickly and sat down.

“Your new, aren’t you?” One kid asked.

Felicia remembered her name being Megan. What is it with girl’s named Megan being so irritating? “Yeah, I’m new.”

“Where are you from? And why did you move here?” Mrs. Keys asked.

Felicia sighed. “I’m from Cleveland, Ohio. I moved down here….I moved down here because I was adopted.”

Mrs. Keys knew she should change the topic now, and went back to her questions that she asked the other students.

“So, why do you like to write poetry?” she asked.

“Well, when I have dreams, I try to figure out what they mean. I write down what happened so I can look back at it later,” Felicia said, thankful she changed the subject.

“Thank you Felicia,” Mrs. Keys said and went to the next student. Felicia sank back into her desk.

Once the last student finished her introductions, Mrs. Keys went onto what was required. “For tonight’s assignment, I want you to write a poem of what you summer was like.” Everyone but Felicia groaned at this. “It can be whatever kind of poem you like. The only requirement is that it is at least three lines long.”

“Are we doing this because of the new girl?” Someone complained from the back of the room. Felicia blushed and tried to hide in her chair.

“No Armond, I always have this assignment for the first day of school,” Mrs. Keys said. “Remember, it can be any kind of poem you want.” The bell rang, and everyone was starting to leave. “Felicia, can I talk to you for a moment?”

“Um, sure,” Felicia said softly. She gathered her belongings and went over to Mrs. Keys’ desk.

“If you ever need to talk to me, my room is always open,” Mrs. Keys smiled. “Except of course, on the weekends and after school.”

Felicia giggled. “Thanks,” she said softly and continued to her next class.

~*~*~

Before lunch, Felicia had math, science, and gym. Aside from the occasional murmurs she heard in the halls, she was having a good day. She liked all of her teachers, and managed to stay away from the kids. At lunch, she sat at the far end of the room, like she did at the orphanage. She started working on her math problems when someone walked up to her.

“You’re the new girl, right?” the girl asked.

Felicia looked up at her, remembering her from gym. Carrie? Felicia sighed. “Yeah, I am.”

“So, were you like, abandoned or something?” Carrie asked.

Felicia looked down at her work. “No, I wasn’t,” she said softly.

Carrie turned around to her friends. “I told ya she wasn’t! I won the bet!” she said as she ran back to the table. Felicia was in shock. These kids are the same anywhere. Felicia was on the verge of tears.

“Don’t let them bug you,” a guy said as he came up to the table. Felicia looked up and didn’t recognize him from any of her previous classes. “I’m Ian.”

“I’m Felicia,” she said softly as she looked him over. Well he doesn’t seem like the others.

“What’s your next class?” Ian asked.

Felicia looked down at her schedule. “Um, World History with Mrs. Lesesky.”

“Cool, I have that class too. I’ll walk with you there,” Ian said. The bell rang.

Felicia smiled and stood up. “Thanks.”

They started walking down the hallway, back to the classrooms. “What’s the rest of your schedule?”

“Art, and then Choir,” Felicia said, hoping he had at least one other class with her. I don’t think I can stand those other kids.

“Well, then I guess I only see you for lunch and History,” Ian said as they made it to the room. They took two empty seats in the middle.

“That’s okay,” Felicia said. She was slightly disappointed she didn’t have a friend in the rest of her classes, but she wasn’t devastated. I guess ill just be quiet in those classes. Mrs. Lesesky came in when the bell rang, and started class.

~*~*~

Felicia managed to make it through the rest of the day without any incidents. She still heard people talking about her, but no one came up to her. Her choir director, Mr. Curtiss, was very impressed with her though. Aside from English and History, that was her favorite class. At the end of the day, Felicia went outside to wait for Denise. Everyone else who was waiting there ignored her, and Felicia was fine with that. Denise pulled up to the school and Felicia got into the car.

“So, how was school?” she asked as they drove off.

“It was….school,” Felicia said.

“That bad, huh?” Denise asked.

Felicia smiled. “No, not really.” Sure, even though it seemed like all of the kids were evil, Felicia only really remembered how Ian treated her. “It wasn’t horrible.”

“I know that sound. There’s a boy, isn’t there?” Denise asked, looking over at Felicia knowingly.

Felicia blushed and looked down at her feet. “Maybe.”

Denise smiled. “Well, I have some news for you. How would you like to go to Europe next Friday to visit the guys?”

Felicia stopped thinking about Ian and looked up at Denise. “Really?” she asked, all excited.

“Yep, we would leave here on Friday, and come back on Monday,” Denise said as they pulled up to the house.

“Thank you!” Felicia squealed as she hugged her.

Denise laughed. “Your welcome. Now, do you have any homework?”

Felicia groaned.“I take that as a yes then,” Denise laughed. “The sooner you get it done, the sooner you can call AJ.

Felicia smiled and ran inside, determined to finish her work ASAP.