- Text Size +
Chapter 27

~July 1996~

True to Felicia’s words, Felicia and Lenni were best friends now. Whenever they could, they hung out together. Felicia was spending less time with Ian, but both Nick and AJ were happy with that. Even though AJ was happy his sister had someone, he didn’t really like Ian, but he didn’t know why. Maybe it was just his big brother senses. Lenni only met the boys once, and that was when they made a surprise visit home for Felicia’s birthday. Of course, it was a couple weeks late, but it was a surprise nonetheless.

Today was July 25, and Felicia wasn’t her normal, cheery self. She didn’t want to hang out with Ian or Lenni; she just sulked in her room. Denise was worried she was sick, but Felicia didn’t have a fever.

“Maybe you could cheer her up?” Denise asked AJ on the phone. “I’ve tried everything I can think of, but she won’t even tell me what’s wrong.”

“I’ll try mom. Put her on,” AJ said as he laid down on his bed.

Denise brought the wireless phone upstairs and knocked on Felicia’s door. “Sweetie? AJ is on the phone.”

Felicia moved faster than she had all day, even though it was still pretty slow, and opened the door. “Thanks,” she said softly and took the phone. Before she closed the door, she gave Denise a peck on the cheek. “Hi Alex,” she said as she laid down on her bed. Anyone could tell something was wrong.

“What’s wrong sweetie?” AJ said concerned.

“Nothing,” Felicia sighed.

“Felicia, I can tell something is up. I’m your brother, you can tell me anything. Or do I need to make Brian come on and give you a Donald Duck impression?”

Felicia giggled softly. “No, that’s not necessary.”

“Then tell me what’s wrong.”

Felicia sighed. “My sister would have been 12 today.”

“Oh,” AJ said. Now it was his turn to be quite. “Um, what’s so big about turning 12? She still would have been a pre-teen; not even allowed into PG-13 movies yet,” he joked, trying to get her to laugh. Felicia either didn’t think it was funny or didn’t hear it.

“It would have been her bat-mitzvah year,” Felicia sniffled.

“Oh…” AJ trailed off. Felicia explained what they were before, but never got emotional about them. “Why didn’t you get like this when it was your year?” he asked. He remembered her telling him that girls could either have them at 12 or 13.

“I never really wanted one. I didn’t want to lead the service. My sister was so into the idea of one. I made fun of her for it.”

“I’m sure she knew you didn’t mean it. All siblings make fun of each other. Look at us….hell, even look at Nick and Aaron,” AJ said. This time he received a giggle.

“True,” Felicia said softly.

“So is everything cool now?”

“As ice,” Felicia replied.

AJ laughed. “Good.”

“Thanks Alex,” Felicia said. “Do you wanna talk to mom again?”

“Actually, I should be heading out now. We need to record a new track.”

“Cool, good luck. Tell the others I said hi.”

“Will do. Love ya sis.”

“Love ya bro,” Felicia said and hung up. She felt better already.