- Text Size +
Chapter 44

~October 2001~

“Ah!” Felicia shrieked and hid her face into Nick’s chest. It was Halloween and the couple decided to celebrate it by having an all night film fest. Lenni and AJ were planning on joining them later in the evening. During the marathon, Felicia learned a very valuable lesson; don’t let Nick pick all of the movies when it’s Halloween.

“Ah, stop being a sissy,” Nick teased and held her closer. “It’s just a murder.”

Felicia pulled back, staring at Nick like he’s crazy. “Just a murder? Just a murder?!”

“Yup, just a murder,” Nick laughed and gave her a peck on the lips.

Felicia sighed and cuddled into Nick even more, her eyes avoiding the blood on the screen. “I have a feeling you just chose these movies so we could cuddle,” she mumbled, closing her eyes tight when she saw the murderer.

“Oh no!” Nick feigned horror. “You discovered my evil plot. Now I am going to have to kill you.”

Felicia shoved him playfully. “Ha ha, very funny.”

“But that’s why you love me,” Nick said and bent down to kiss her again.

“Mmmhmm…”Felicia moaned into the kiss. At that moment the lights started to flicker. “Aw great,” she mumbled pulling away from the kiss. “They better not go out.” Bagel started barking like crazy at the screen door. Felicia sighed and went over to see what was wrong. “Whats out there Bagel? Huh?” She looked out the door and saw trees moving in the wind. She picked up Bagel and returned to the couch to cuddle with Nick some more. “It looks like it is going to be a bad storm out there. I hope Alex and Lenni get here okay.”

“They will get here fine. Lenni’s picking AJ up, right?”

“Yeah, as long as she’s driving they will make it here in one piece,” Felicia laughed.

Just as the murderer was about to strike again, the power went out and Felicia let out another shriek.

“It’s okay, its just a power outage,” Nick rubbed her back as his eyes started to adjust to the darkness.

“Yeah,” Felicia said, muffled by Nick’s shirt. “It is just REALLY bad timing with the movie.”

Nick chuckled. “Where’s your circuit breaker again?”

“The attic.”

~*~*~

After making it to the attic without running into too many objects, Felicia and Nick were standing in the attic trying to get the power back on.

“Remind me to get a generator soon. I don’t want to climb the stairs just to fix the circuit breaker,” Felicia said, pointing a flashlight over Nick’s shoulder while he was working on the circuit breaker.

“Get a generator soon,” Nick said, earning a whack upside the head. “Hey! You said soon!”

“I meant tomorrow, smartass,” Felicia laughed.

“Better than being a dumbass.”

“You’re that too,” she joked.

“Ha ha, you are SO funny,” Nick said as the lights came back on. “There we go. I knew I could get it,” he stood up and wrapped her arms around her waist.

“Yeah, because if you didn’t you knew I would.”

“Why I oughta-“

Felicia interrupted him with a kiss.

“What was I saying?” Nick asked after they broke apart.

“That you love….my baby book!” Felicia squealed as she pulled away and ran over to an open box.

“Um….I don’t think it was that…” Nick said scratching his head and walked over to her.

“Man, I haven’t looked at this since I moved in with Mom and Alex,” Felicia said as she ran her hand over the quilted cover.

Nick chuckled. “And people think I have attention problems.”

Felicia opened the book and sighed. “Look how little I was!”

Nick looked over her shoulder. “Wow, you really DID look small.”

“I was only five pounds and seven ounces. I was three days late and very underweight. I remember my mom said people were trying to plump me up like a turkey but I just wouldn’t gain weight,” she said with a chuckle and continued to flip through the book.

Nick made her stop when she turned to the Halloween section. “You were a sheep?” he asked when he saw her dressed up in a bunch of cotton balls.

Felicia sighed. “Is it really that hard to tell? I was a cloud!!”

Nick laughed. “Sorry! But it is hard to tell, I mean, sheep, cloud, what’s the difference?”

“Well, I was considered a sheep when I went trick or treating. I was so upset when I got home because no one knew what I was.”

“How old were you in it?”

“Three I think.”

“Well, you were a very cute three-year-old cloud,” Nick said and gave her a peck on the cheek.

“Thank you Nicky,” Felicia smiled as she put the book down. She looked over at the window and saw that the rain wasn’t letting up. “I really hope they get here soon. Even if it is Lenni who’s driving, I don’t like the idea of them being out there.”

“They will be fine,” Nick said, wrapping an arm around her and rubbing her arm. “Don’t worry.” At that moment there was a loud crack of thunder and the power went out for a second time. “Us on the other hand? I think we are doomed to live in darkness.”

“I don’t doubt it,” Felicia said as she hugged him tighter.

“Since when have you been this afraid of the dark?” he asked as he lead them back to the circuit breaker.

“Since its Halloween and you just made me watch people get murdered,” she said as she picked up the flashlight and turned it on to face the box.

Nick worked on it, doing everything he did last time, but nothing happened. “Just great,” he mumbled. “Do you want to try this?”

“Why not,” Felicia shrugged. She gave Nick the flashlight and tried to get the power back.

“AH!” Felicia pulled her hand away suddenly.

“What happened?”

“It shocked me, I think,” she shook her hand.

“You think?” Nick asked, raising his eyebrows.

“I’ve never been shocked by a stupid circuit breaker before, okay?”

Nick chuckled. “Okay, okay. You were shocked. Maybe the power doesn’t want to come back on then.” As luck would have it, the flashlight died on them.

“What else can go wrong?” Felicia asked, going back to hug Nick.

“Don’t jinx us,” Nick chuckled. A branch outside the attic started banging against the window, frightening the both of them. “Um, maybe we should head back downstairs. You know, to keep Bagel company,” he said, inching to the stairway.

“My thoughts exactly,” Felicia said as she made a mad dash down the stairs. Once Nick joined her she clung to his side as they made their way back to the family room.

* BANG BANG BANG *

Felicia and Nick slowly turned to face the main doorway. “M-maybe it was just our imaginations,” Felicia said hiding behind Nick.

* BANG BANG BANG *

“Where’s your bat?” Nick asked as Bagel ran and hid in her kennel.

“Too far away,” Felicia glanced over at the staircase and saw an umbrella. She stretched and grabbed it, giving it to Nick.

“This will do. Stay back.”

“Nu uh,” Felicia said, still clinging to Nick as he made his way to the door and opened it.

“AHHHHH!”

~*~*~

Ten Minutes Earlier...

“Come on baby. Don’t stall on me now!” Lenni said, hitting the wheel.

AJ sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “What do we do now?”

“We walk,” Lenni said as she got out of the car.

“Walk? In this weather?” he asked following her.

“Yeah, well, we were idiots and BOTH left our phones at home. We aren’t that far away, and I don’t want to be stuck in my car all night. So I’m walking. You can stay if you really want to. I won’t force you,” Lenni said and started off towards Felicia’s house.

AJ didn’t know what to do. Man, I REALLY don’t want to get wet. But I would feel awful if something happened… “Lenni!” AJ yelled as he ran to catch up with her. “Wait upppp-aaaaa!”

Lenni turned around just in time to see AJ slip in a big puddle and roll into a muddy area. “You are such a klutz!” she laughed and made her way back to help him.

“Oh be quiet,” AJ mumbled, trying to stand up on his own. When Lenni was close enough he decided to use her as support to get himself back up, but instead both of them fell down in the mud pit, with AJ on top.

“Thanks a lot,” Lenni grumbled.

“Your welcome,” AJ laughed as the two of them tried to get back up, resulting in them rolling around in the mud and Lenni ending up on top.

“Okay, that’s not working,” AJ laughed. “We need to come up with a new plan.”

“How about I try to get up on my own, then…I don’t know what we’ll do then,” Lenni laughed. She managed to get up onto her feet, but when she tried to move her legs away from AJ, she fell back down on him, her lips crashing into his.

“Mmm….”AJ moaned slightly, moving his arms around her. WAIT! What am I doing?! She’s my sister’s best friend!!

Lenni kissed back before she realized who she was kissing and pulled away abruptly. “Um….”

“Yeah….” AJ said, avoiding her eyes. “Um, let’s not tell them, okay?”

“Deal,” Lenni chuckled, rolling off of him and out of the mud onto some pavement. She got up and soon AJ was up as well. “We should get going, before they worry too much,” she said softly, looking at the ground.

Hell, I don’t care if she is my sister’s best friend. AJ gave her a kiss on the lips, on purpose this time. “Our little secret?”

Lenni felt as if she was on cloud nine. She always had a little crush on AJ since the first time she met him, but didn’t do anything about it. “Sure.”

~*~*~

One minute earlier…

“Finally!” Lenni said as they were close enough to the house to see it. “I need a shower and I plan on stealing the master shower!”

“I’ll race ya!” AJ smirked before taking off and running to the house.

Lenni was fast however and beat him to the door and knocked on it.

* BANG BANG BANG *

“How. The hell. Did you. Catch up?” AJ asked catching his breath. When no one answered he stood where Lenni was and knocked again.

* BANG BANG BANG*

“ I’m fast,” Lenni said before moving closer to AJ. “Think you can handle me?” she whispered.

AJ gave a small moan. “Uh huh…”

The door opened and they were met with a screaming person with an umbrella.

“AHHH!” AJ yelled before being hit with it.

Felicia stood next to Nick as he attacked her mudcaked brother. “L-Lenni? Alex?”

“STOP IT!!!” AJ yelled, trying to protect himself.

“What the…..Sorry!” Nick said before dropping the umbrella.

Lenni and Felicia laughed as AJ chased Nick back into the house.

“Happy Halloween girl,” Lenni laughed as she draped an arm around her shoulder, following AJ and Nick. Little did they know that AJ and Nick were on the ground wrestling, right where they were walking.

“AHHH!”

“DOG PILE!!!!”

btw....didnt win mbsbfc for this story, thats okay, it was up against VERY tough competion. thanks to all who voted for me though!. However....Miracles Happen....its still in the running :D.