- Text Size +
Chapter 1 * Someone with a Familiar Face and Name

They had spent weeks on the train as it headed to the closes safe place, which was Asis. It was almost on the other side of the country. There were people in Asis taking the orphans of Amalia to the orphanages. The one in Asis got crowded quickly so they took children to another orphanages in the next town over called Bien. Ziya was one of those kids who were taken there.

Right after the king was killed and every one under him was also killed. Duke Malory took over the position to ruling the country. He was making everyone suffer. Around the time that Chad was 14 all the orphanages were ordered by the Duke to be closed down. So Chad left Asis to Bien. By this time is his life he had forgotten all about the little girl with light brown hair and dark blue eyes. He was in Bien to make a living. He took a job as a fisherman until he was 18. He had by then discovered underground poker rings. So he made his living off of his winnings.

When he was 19 years old, 11 years after the event in Amalia, one morning Chad found a letter that was slid under his front door. The letter was from a friend of his he had met in Asis’s orphanage, Asher.

Asher was a very cheerful person, always looking on the bright side of every thing and always smiling even in bad situation. The first week in the orphanage Chad was tempted to beat Asher up. Chad changed his opinion of Asher after trying to beat him up. Chad lost the fight and so they became friends.

In the letter that Asher left at Chad’s house was asking to meet him that noon at the Kaida Inn, which was not to far from Chad’s house.

When he got to the inn he spotted a boy sitting on top of the over hang of the inn. At first glance he appeared to be a normal young boy of 13 years old. Until he saw the white fury ears, dark gray hair, big yellow eyes and the black and white tail. He was a demon. It was weird to see a demon out in the open like that.

“Hi!” The boy called down to him cheerfully. Chad gave him a cold wave before going under the over hang. He entered and immediately spotted Asher at the bar. He had his back to him but Chad would recognize Asher’s black hair from anywhere. He walked up to the bar and sat down.

“So can I offer to buy you a drink?” Asher asked when he turned to Chad.

“No, I’m not really thirsty. So how are things in Oki?”

“Pretty good. But we have to move every one back to Asis, until we get things sorted out.”

“So is that why you wanted to meet with me?”

“What can’t a friend come visit another friend while he is in town.”

“Yeah, but you sent me a letter inviting me to have a drink with you. You usually come to the house when you visit. I figure something is up if you could not ask me face to face. So what’s up?”

“You know me to well.” Asher got up off his seat. “Come with me to the back room. There’s some one there I want you to meet.” Chad followed his friend to the back room. When they entered the room a young woman was there. She was about 16 years old, light brown hair with her bangs and end of her hair dyed black and dark blue eyes. She was standing at the window. Something about her seemed very familiar to Chad.

“About time you got here. I was getting board waiting.” She said with her arms crossed in front of her.

“Sorry.” Asher said giving her a smile and closed the door behind them. “Chad, this is Ziya. Ziya, Chad.” The name sparked his memory. ‘It can’t be her.’ She walked up to them held her hand out to Chad.

“Nice to meet you.” She said as Chad took her hand and shook it. She looked at Chad closely then turned to Asher. “Did you fill him in on what is going on?”

“No.”

“OK, then.”

“What is going on here?” Chad asked them.

“We have been having problems.” Asher said.

“What kind of problems? Did the Duke find out that your orphanage you’ve been running right under his nose?”

“I don’t think he cares about that?” Ziya said. “His guards have been terrorizing us for the past 2 years.”

“What for?”

“We don’t know, but all we know is they’re looking for orphan girls 16 years of age from Amalia with brown hair and blue eyes.” Ziya told Chad.

“Seven of our girls fit that description.” Asher added

“They already has 3 girls and 2 are in hiding.”

“And one is dead.” Asher looked gloomy when he said it.

“How do you guys know this information?” Chad asked.

“I beat it out of one of the guards that attacked us last week.” Ziya said as if it was not big deal that a tiny girl like her took on a full-grown man.

“Wait you guys said 7 girls but you told me about 6.”

“I’m the 7th one.” Ziya said. “And it ends up I’m more of a threat then the other girls. I mean look at me, what’s so threatening about me? I’m just a girl.” She said innocently.

“Besides the fact that you beat the hell out of a grown man 5 time bigger then you.” Chad said as Asher gives a cheerful chuckle. “So what is it that you guys need me for?”

“We were hoping you’d help us out and try and get the girls back from the Duke.” Asher said.

“You mean you two are going to go to the duke?”

“Yeah.”

“How are you getting there? The trains been stopped for what 10 or 11 years.”

“We’ll find other forms of transportation along the way.”

“Really so I take it we’re going to be walking most the way.”

“We’re young we have good legs.”

“This whole plan seems a bit irresponsible to me.” Ziya walked to the door.

“I guess you’re not as brave as Asher said you were.”

“Oh no.” Asher let out a nerves chuckle.

“He said you were the braves he’s ever met. But I guess he was wrong.”

“Are you saying I’m a scaredy-cat.” She looked over her shoulder at him with a smirk.

“Oh no, I’d never say scardy-cat.” She thought for a while. “Chicken I would.”

“Chicken!”

“I mean it’s ok to be scared. Two of the girls they were as I heard like little sisters to you and you won’t help them because you’re scared. It’s ok.”

“I am not scared.” She turned around looking at him now seriously.

“Then help us if you not scared. They took 3 girls, god only knows what they are doing to them.”

“Fine, I’ll help!” She gave him a big smile.

“Good,” She spun around on her heals and stared to walked to the door. “We’ll meet you tomorrow morning at the forest by the old train tracks.”

“Some thing tells me I just got played.” Chad said. “I don’t like her.” Asher patted him on the back.

“She’ll grow on you.” Ziya opened the door. She let out a horrified gasp and slamming the door shut. An axe went through the door.

“They found us.” She said through gritted teeth.

“I thought we lost them!”

“Yeah well, they found us!” She opened the door again and yanked the axe out of the door. “Who dose this belong to?” She threw it at one of the closest guard’s feet only missing his foot by half an inch. “You all really don’t want to mess with me right now.” Two guards came at her she sidestepped one; he ran in to a wall, and punched another. “Ash, get in here would yeah.” Asher turned to Chad.

“Remember tomorrow morning at the forest by the train tracks.” He ran out of the room to help Ziya. Asher picked up a chair and smashed it into one of the guys. There was about 6 guys ganging up on the two but the number of guys kept getting lower but when they thought they had them all defeated they would get right back up.

“Persistent guys aren’t they?” Asher said.

“HEY, OUT THERE WE NEED A LITTLE HELP!” She yelled to the entrance door of the inn. The door opened and 3 lit smoke bombes came rolling across the floor around Ziya and Asher. They both waved good-bye to the guards as the smoke came up around them. The whole room was engulfed with smoke the guards thrashed around trying to find them but there was no such luck. They were gone by the time the smoke disappeared.