- Text Size +
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Eleven-His Own Solace

He watches his office door creak open as a beautiful fair-headed woman enters, silently taking a seat in front of his desk.

Howie smiles softly, extending his hand out: “I’m officer Dorough, how can I help you?”

Makenzie shakes his hand and gulps, eyeing him. “I already know who you are.”

“Alright. Is there a reason you need to talk to me?” Howie asks curiously, excited to finally hear some word besides through the papers and news about the case.

“I…I think so…I never met this man…Nick. But, but I don’t think he’s dead.”

Howie raises his eyebrows, trying to find the logic in the woman’s statement. “Why do you feel this way?”

“It’s…its well, stuff I keep hearing around, it just sounds off. Like the whole cremation issue… I know for one that Mrs. Carter didn’t like that idea. That she would have preferred seeing her child’s body than see it turn into ashes.”

“And you got all this just from talking to her?”

Makenzie nods, fiddling her fingers across her small white handbag: “Yeah…she really is a sweet woman. And I’m sure her son must have been something else. But if he is dead then maybe…maybe his death wasn’t an accident.”

Howie sits up frowning, clasping his hands before him tightly: “Are you implying it was a murder? There were no shown signs of him struggling or bruises of someone else on him from what I got. Where did you get this information?”

Makenzie gulps, glancing all around the small office before him: “It’s just a gut feeling. You know this, I mean you have to have been questioning this entire case. Don’t you think something more is up?” She bolts up from her seat, placing her hands on the front of his desk: her deep emerald eyes gaze at him wide open.

Blowing out a puff of air, he leans back shaking his head: “Miss Robbins…”

“Makenzie” She cuts him off.

“Right…Makenzie…I’m sure you’re worried with all this but I can assure you the police department is looking over this case thoroughly. And if it was a murder case, it would have already been known through the morgue. And from analyzing the body, there was no form of murder committed on the man, nor any drugs infiltrated through him.”

Makenzie sighs, slumping back in the chair: “Ooooh…ok then. It was just an idea then.” She whispers to herself, sounding almost disappointed in him, as if he didn’t seem to agree with her same logic to the case.

“Makenzie…do you know any of Nick’s friends?” He asks cautiously.

She simply nods and stands up heading to the door.

“Is that all?”

Makenzie turns around and sighs: “For now…I just think you should look over some stuff…for me I don’t know…things aren’t adding up right.”

“Listen if one of his friends said something to you about this case, please inform me. It would greatly help out.” Howie quickly stands up, his eyes pleading to the woman to help give him any clues that can lead him in the right direction.

“No…I don’t know anything besides what I just told you. But if I do…I’ll come back.” She whispers, stepping out of the office sighing, heading out of the precinct.

Howie frowns, plopping back in his office seat as he tries to go through the conversation in his head to find if he missed anything.
~*~

“Oooohh I remember that.” Jasmine smiles, flipping through a photo album that Janelly placed on her lap.

“Man that was like years ago, when we first started working there.” Janelly muses, lifting her teacup up to her lips.

Jasmine smiles softly, looking over at Bethany entertaining little Eliez her lap.

Eliez giggles, cuddling into Bethany’s arms as Bethany excuses herself to the kitchen, carrying the child with her. Placing Eliez on the kitchen counter, she opens the fridge door hearing Eliez hum something softly.

“Honey what you singing?” Bethany turns to the little bubbly child, a smile curving her lips.

Eliez sings loud for her to hear: “My body lies over da ocean…my body lies over da sea…my body lies over da ocean…so bring back my body to me.” Eliez giggles, sucking on a lollipop given to her earlier.

Bethany frowns at the song, going over to her: “That’s not a happy song. Why don’t you sing something nice?”

Eliez places her little finger over Bethany’s lips as to quiet her, before smiling again. “Daddy told me song is nice.”

“No. Look we can sing the bear picnic song. You like that one.”

Eliez shakes her head rapidly, “Nooo. I like other song. My body lies over da ocean. My body lies over da sea.”

Bethany frown, pouring a glass of juice for Jasmine and her sister, keeping an eye on Eliez.

Eliez simply hums the song under her breath as Bethany glances at her ticking watch, eager for the night to come already. Eliez was beginning to act a little strange and she didn’t need to be around that at the moment. Plus the excitement of hanging out with the nice plumber for a little party in the night didn’t sound like a bad idea at all. Smiling, she lifts the girl in her arms and steps out with two cups in her hands back to the women in the living room.
~*~


He steps out of his car, slamming the door behind as his keys jiggle in his hands, he raises his eyebrows at the music blasting out of the house’s stereo and smirks, feeling Arianna pass by him and pulls him over to the doorway.

Damien pushes her against the wall kissing her as she giggles and pushes him away.

“Relax…God are you that horny?”

Damien rolls his eyes: pushing away from her to knock on the door.

Arianna smirks, taking his hand: “That’s ok. I don’t mind.”

“So close Ari…so close.” He rolls his eyes as Orlando opens the door with a grin on his face.

“You!” Damien smirks.

“Yes me!” Orlando grins, pulling Arianna in: “Is it just me or has she gotten more beautiful since I left?”

Arianna giggles, blushing slightly: “You and that charm of yours.”

Damien snorts and steps in closing the door behind him as Orlando laughs.

“Well that is something that is a natural part of me. Not my fault your boyfriend doesn’t carry that same aura.” Orlando grins, raising his eyebrows.

Damien smirks, flipping the English man off and walks through the thick mob of young people dancing to the loud beats of house music blaring from the stereos. Spotting A.J. at the food table talking seductively to Makenzie, Damien pulls the man away and smirks: “Am I interrupting your game?”

“Dude what the hell?! I was about to get some shortly.” A.J. smirks, greeting his friend.

“Like you don’t already.”

“Heh…I’m not saying nothing on that. Yo, Brian and his wifey showed up…pretty interesting stuff. Did you see the new girl here?” A.J. sips on a cup of water, pointing to a young dark hair beauty.

“No. Who is she?”

“Not sure…Bethany or something or another. She came with Orlando as his date. The dude got game, he was fixing her sink and he plans on fixing her later tonight if you know what I mean.” A.J. teases, wiggling his eyebrows.

Damien smirks, watching the young dark haired woman tossing her head to the beat, her loose dark tendrils fly all around her as she seems lost to the music, a small smile cross over her red lips.

“Well at least this time Lando picked an attractive girl. That last girl he was with was…eghh.” Damien shakes his head in disgust.

“Ohhh yeah that Kate chick. That was that skinny bitch that can break in half if you touch her too much right?” A.J. grins getting a laugh out of Damien.

“Yeah think so.” Damien snickers, watching Bethany make her way back to Orlando.

Pulling on Orlando’s arm, Arianna frowns shaking her head: “You lucky you left when you did. I almost spilled it out to Makenzie.”

“What?! No, what are you doing?! That would have us all in trouble.” Orlando gasps out, running a hand through his dark curls smiling as Bethany makes her way to him.

“It’s crazy…all the pressure and its getting harder to hide it. Well at least for me. I wanted to tell her right there. Cause I’m so tired of hiding it. Even Eliez is acting strange about it. I can’t believe I agreed to it.” Arianna frowns, pressing her exposed back against the cool polished mahogany wall behind her.

“Well what’s done is done right…there’s nothing we can do to change it. Just forget it and enjoy the party. The police here don’t seem to have any idea what is going on nor do they really care.” Orlando shrugs, draping his arm around Bethany’s shoulders as she arrives.

Damien walks back with a drink and hands it to Arianna smirking and looks over to Bethany. “Hey.”

Bethany nods her head in acknowledgment and eyes Orlando. Smiling, Orlando points to Damien and Arianna. “These two are my other friends, Arianna and Damien. Guys meet Bethany my date.”

“Nice one man…she looks really hott.” Damien smirks getting a smack on the arm from Arianna.

Orlando smiles, looking over at Bethany and nods: “I know and guess what…she’s my date.”

Damien laughs: “I get your point.”

“Good. Just making sure.” Orlando smirks, winking at Arianna playfully and walks away with Bethany in tow.

Damien watches the pair walk away, his eyes trained on the woman’s short dress as he smirks. Feeling a hit on his arm again, he smirks and turns. “Don’t tell me your jealous now?”

“I’m not. You don’t have to goggle all over her body you know.” Arianna pouts as Damien takes her hand and gives her a drink.

“Stupid ass…this taste like crap.” She smirks, pulling the cup away from her lips.

Damien laughs: “You don’t feel different from it?”

“Haha…A.J put something in it didn’t he?” Arianna rolls her eyes.

“Nothing a little Spanish fly won’t fix.” Damien snickers as Arianna pulls him to a dark corner laughing.
~*~

Eliez puts the last red lego on the top of her little building while Jasmine lounges on the sofa, jumping at the sound of the phone going off.

Grabbing the phone, she yawns and mutters out a soft hello.

“Hello…is this Mrs. Jasmine Loughlin Carter speaking?” A southern deep male voice sounds out on the other end of the line.

“Umm…yes this is she…” She raises her eyebrows, hoping it wasn’t a company again trying to sell her things. She wasn’t in the mood, she needed to get away from all this and try to recollect herself. With the funeral just passing yesterday, it seemed to kill that little part of sanity that she held on to for so long. The ill-fated memories of her son, always there, haunting almost taunting her was too much.

“Hello I’m doctor Richardson calling from Janelly Rittolo. She had told me about what you are dealing with and I wanted to see if we can make an informal appointment just to meet you and your daughter for a few.”

Sighing, she slides into a chair besides the desk gazing at her large house plants which were slowly withering away since the last she watered them. “We can do that.”

“Good. How about tomorrow at ten? The office is located on Millbury south 28th street just pass the bay. You can’t miss it. Just ask for my name and you’ll be directed in.”

“Oh ok then. I’ll…I’ll see you then.” She murmurs out, hearing him saying bye, hanging up. Gulping she feels a soft breeze filter into the house as she looks over seeing Nick standing behind her, brushing his arms down her arms smiling.

“Mom, what’s wrong? You look upset.” He whispers out, his bright sapphire eyes cut into her as if he can diagnose her and read through her perfectly.

Sniffing, she looks up at him, standing up from the chair. “Oh Nick…”

He frowns, pulling her into a hug and rubs her back: “I’m not dead. I’m ok…I just need to go away for a while.”

“No! No you were taken from me. Stay here with me.” She cries out, shaking in his arms.

Sighing, Nick holds her, brushing a hand through her hair to try to ease her nerves. “People are going to think different things. But you know as well as I do what happened to me.”

“I know…” She whispers out, backing away from him as Nick eyes her and smiles.

“I made some tea…the one you like with the apple stuff in it. Ok well I didn’t make it, I followed the instructions though and it was done.” Nick grins causing his mother to softly chuckle, wiping away a tear that trickled down her face.

“Well that sounds nice then.” Jasmine whispers as he stretches his hand out for her to take. Taking it, they enter the kitchen as Eliez watches them and smiles softly singing: “My body lies over da ocean…my body lies over da sea…”
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**