- Text Size +
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Twenty-Two- Pieces Falling Into Place

He nervously taps his foot on the dark lush blue carpet, his eyes constantly scanning the waiting room in trepidation. He didn’t really know why he came here to a doctor’s office, he needed someone to talk to about things and his wife offered up a nice man she knew and heard about. ‘Richardson’ Brian thinks to himself as he watches a familiar face step into the waiting room with a chart in her hand.

“Littrell?” The dark haired beauty states, looking over at him smiling.

“I’ve seen you before…wait at the party right?” Brian gets up strolling over to her.

Bethany nods, eyeing the man before her: “Yeah, you’re one of Orlando’s friends right?”

“Uh yeah… I didn’t know you worked here.” Brian quickly changes the topic as he clears his throat.

“Oh yeah, yeah I do. It pays good so I ain’t complaining.” Bethany shrugs, tossing her long dark hair behind her shoulders tying it up with a clip.

“Right…well I should go see the doctor then…” He trails off, his eyes drifting to the floor.

Bethany raises her eyebrows, watching him curiously. “If you’re nervous about seeing the doc he’s a cool guy. He doesn’t say much but when he does its always worth hearing.”

“Oh good, its just I never been here.”

“Eh its ok, we all need a little therapy…some more than others but it’s a good way to work through problems.” She clutches the clipboard to her chest. “Just go down this hallway, first door to the left and that’s his office.”

Nodding he waves and heads down the hallway finding the first door to his left already open as the young doctor sat behind a desk. Quietly walking into the room, he closes the door behind him, his eyes settling on Kevin.

Kevin looks up smiling: “Hey I’m doctor Richardson but you can call me Kevin I don’t mind, less formal that way. Why don’t you have a seat?” He indicates to a lavish mahogany carved cushioned chair in front of the desk.

Brian quietly makes his way to the chair sliding into it as he feels the pressure of the doctor’s gaze on him.

“Brian right?” The doctor looks down at the small manila folder, flipping it open. “What seems to be the problem?” He quickly scans over the few notes within the folder to get a better understanding of the patient before him.

Gulping, Brian slouches back into the chair, his eyes dropping to the open folder on the desk: “I never came to one of these doctors before…not sure how to start this off.”

“Oh.” Kevin sits up giving him his full attention now: “I’m a therapist, I don’t judge. If anything I’m one that is a good ear to listen to problems. Now I can’t guarantee to solve all the problems but I can get close to it and steer you in the right direction needed. Everything here is confidential, not a word is exposed or a file seen by others unless its under your own personal request.”

“Good.” Brian breaths out seeing a form handed to him.

“This is to ensure you that my lips are seal. I already signed it and you can keep that copy as a receipt in case you feel I didn’t keep to my word on your privacy. And you can start whenever you’re ready.” Kevin claps his hands on the desk top: his warm gaze wash over Brian who nods, quickly tucking the copied form in his pocket.

“Ok…so…see I know a friend of mines…he did something wrong. Possibly against the law but he’s afraid of being caught…”

Kevin interrupts him, smiling: “If its you its ok. Remember I’m not here to judge, I’m gonna try to help you the best I can.”

“Right…yeah…I did something…bad…I think. Not sure how to explain this. See it’s a secret, rather a set up of something and, and as much as I think about it, it always come back to haunt me.” Brian rambles out, shaking his left leg the entire time. He didn’t know why he went here. If the other guys found out what he’s doing they would kill him. But he couldn’t deal with all this pressure and the fact that he got a scare when the police came to get him sent him running for some refuge. He didn’t know how the others are dealing with it but this is his way and if it meant running to a doctor for help so be it.

“Why do you think it haunts you?” Kevin whispers out, sitting straight up eyeing the man.

“Because what I did was wrong…I knew it was a bad idea but I went through with it because I thought I could help someone around me.”

“And did it help?” Kevin quietly asks, his emerald eyes watching the slightly quivering man before him.

“No. At least from what I can tell. It just looks worse and I feel bad for doing that to this lady. She didn’t ask for it, I mean its not like we killed anyone but when I look at her all I think of is how guilty I feel.” Brian breaths out, his eyes glued to the doctor behind the desk, wondering if the doctor would call the police after this.

“Maybe it was bad for you and not the others. Have you talked to the woman before hand?”

“Yeah…she’s a nice lady. Has a kid and everything. I just wonder if someone came out and told her what really happened, how would she feel?” Brian murmurs out, clasping his hands tightly together on his knees as he leans over sighing.

Kevin tilts his head trying to understand what the patient was saying to him: “If you think its bad maybe you should tell the lady what you did. Lying is never a solution to problems. It’s just digging a hole into a ground. And once you start a small lie, it spreads like a virus taking over the person. I don’t know if that’s how you feel but holding important things back especially if it hurt her is a tough problem. On one hand you see the benefit of her knowing what is going on. But then the other one isn’t so well, that once she sees all the answer laid out before her, she might not take it so well. You don’t want to hurt her I can see that but you have a choice that needs take action. Whether it’s telling her or walking away from it.”

Brian licks his lips, surprised with the positive answer as he sits up: “Err…yeah…so that’s my problem…”

“Ok…that’s all then? There isn’t anything else?” Kevin slowly stands up, leaning back against the front of the desk to look at Brian.

“No…no I think that covered it all for now…so that’s my problem. I don’t know her reaction.”

“Sometimes we do things and takes risks. But you’ll never know until you try right?” Kevin raises his eyebrows at the man hoping that was the issue as he was already pressed for time with another appointment ready to arrive.

Brian gulps standing up: “No…no you don’t understand…this is more than just her…what I did…what I did I can never forgive myself for.”

Kevin frowns at Brian, his gaze on the slightly shaking man: “Did…you hurt someone?” Kevin barely whispers out, suddenly feeling cold at the mere thought of it.

“No…it was a plan…but it wasn’t mine. I didn’t think of it, only went along with it with my friends. And I know I’m not the only one feeling this way…but…” Brian stops mid-sentence, jumping out of his seat rushing to the door. “Forget it…forget I said anything…” Gulping around nervously, he yanks open the office door exiting the room in a hurry as if something was coming for him.

Frowning, Kevin stands around the room unsure what to think of the incident and shakes his head: “What was that about?” He murmurs to himself, putting the folder inside his desk, locking the small cabinet with a key as he takes a seat ready for his next patient.
~*~

He looks through the notes sitting in the passenger seat nervously hearing A.J. mumble out something about ‘Stupid pricks added pickles on my burger when I said none’

Damien shifts his eyes from the paper as A.J. grins at his direction: “What?”

“You need to unwind. Honestly it’s not that big of a deal and you already rehearsed the story with us D. So can you stop already before I send you to get me a right burger.”

“I’m not your slave, you can do it yourself.” Damien yawns, sitting back in the seat smirking.

“Cracker what have I ever done to you huh? I ask for a little favor and I feel you don’t appreciate me enough.” A.J. teases, saying it like the Godfather movie using gestures and all.

“Makenzie appreciates you enough.” Damien tosses the crinkled paper in the backseat.

“She sure does. That’s a woman. See if you had let me pick a woman out instead of Nick you have gotten one with brains too.” A.J. starts up his vehicle as Damien smiles.

“She’s smart. I think you need to cut her some slack. She’s highly articulate and can lecture on about the world politics and did you know she graduated at top honors from her university?”

A.J. crinkles his nose, eyeing his friend: “Damn she pussy whipped you good. You normally agree with me on this. What happened today huh?” He smiles pulling out of the parking lot.

Damien smiles: “Not sure…but she’s my girlfriend so as much as you pick on her being a ditz I love her crazy ass for it.”

“Yeah I bet you do. She has a nice one too doesn’t she?” A.J. cackles as Damien snickers.

“Makes you wanna spank that.” Damien yawns as A.J. takes the highway to reach the police station.

A.J. grins: “Dude I’m messing with ya. I love her insanity it makes her…special.”

“Haha! Shut up.” Damien pushes the button to lower the passenger window down.

“D look behind me and see if white boy threw up on my seats.” A.J. drives down the highway picking up speed.

Damien smirks, rolling his eyes seeing Nick hunched in the corner alone staring out the window. “Nope the seats are all clean.”

“If you wanted me to vomit, the pleasure will be all mine.” Nick grins, breaking his silence as he pokes his head in the space between the front two seats.

“Yeah just make sure you do it D’s way. I don’t want none of your leftovers splattered across my leather seats.” A.J. grins cutting a car off, snickering.

Damien shoves Nick playfully away from him as Nick pretends to gag.

“Ohh ohhh dare I say it? I feel so ill. I guess I’ll throw up. I had the good stuff for breakfast too. Some hash browns, sausages, pancakes, the works man all gonna be on your shirt and lap in a few.” Nick snickers out from the backseat tossing a paper ball at Damien’s head.

“Whoa watch it.” A.J. focuses on driving: frowning as the other two laugh and hoot throwing items around.

“What the hell is wrong with you two? Act your age dammit.” A.J. frowns gripping the steering wheel as a semi-truck roars past him.

“Dude you got anger problems. Should have listened to me when I told you take those road rage classes didn’t I?” Nick flips A.J. off lounging back in the seat behind him.

“No, if I was angry you would know it.” A.J. turns as Damien starts yelling to back the car away from the street.

“What the fu…” A.J. blinks as a car speeding down the across from them passes the red light, comes close to crashing into them.

Nick gasps as A.J. tries to back up but wasn’t fast enough as the other vehicle slams on the right passenger side of the car. “OH SHIT!!” Nick scrambles out of the car as smoke engulfs them all.

A.J. coughs, stepping out of the driver’s side ready to attack the person that rammed into them.

“Oh Fuck. Damien you ok man?” Nick peers inside the car as Damien crawls out from the passenger seat nodding his head.

“Yeah shit…I think… I think I broke something though.” The dark hair man whispers out, clutching his ribs.

A.J. growls out: looking over at the driver of the Mazda. “Don’t worry I’m gonna get that fucker now.” He storms over to the other car, wiping away smoke as he yanks open the driver’s door pulling out a woman.

Blinking, he looks at her stunned and shakes his head: “Baby? What are you doing?”

Makenzie cries out worried, shaking her head: “I don’t know what happened?! My brakes were tampered with! I couldn’t stop! Oh God is everyone ok?”

A.J. exhales holding the woman close to him: “Yeah we’re ok. Shh its ok. D got a good banging on the side but he’ll live. As for my car…well its time to get a new one then.”

“Oh Alex I didn’t mean this! You know me. I’m always careful behind the wheel. I don’t know how this happened.” She sniffs, blinking back tears, her snowy cheeks donned a bit rosy from the shock they all just endured.

Nick looks over frowning, seeing Makenzie. “Brake problems?”

Makenzie coughs a bit, waving off the smoke as she nods: “The car was just fine yesterday, but this morning I don’t know what happened.”

Damien bends down, leaning against the side of A.J.’s car wincing: “Oh I’m peachy fine in case anyone was interested.”

“Sorry…Oh God I’m so sorry.” Makenzie whispers out sorrowfully. “I don’t know what else to say.”

“He’ll be fine. No one is critically hurt.” Nick eyes her gazing over at A.J.

“She said her brakes her tampered with…you think you know who it could be?” A.J. looks over at him.

“I think I have a pretty good idea who it could be. I’ll take care of it man.” Nick grabs Damien, walking him away from the smoke and crash.

A.J. nods, sighing as he cups Makenzie’s face smiling sadly at her: “I can fix the brakes up and have them brand new. We’ll send out a report and find out who did this. Cause no one messes with my baby and our lives and get away with it.”

Makenzie wraps her arms around her self for comfort as she nods: “Just don’t kill anyone. I don’t want that.”

“I know. I’m not that crazy. Have some faith in me.” A.J. wraps an arm around her, leading her back to her car to make a quick call to the police station.
~*~

Howie clicks out of the program, shutting off the computer as an officer passes by him handing him a memo. Taking the small note off the passing officer’s hand, he reads over it frowning as he races out of his office shoving the wrinkled note into his pocket. Beginning to get annoyed with these sudden notes and suspicious run bouts, he decides to take the call for a car accident down in Oakland and Seville boulevard hoping that he can get distracted for a moment from the case he was working on.

Exiting the station, he breathes in the cool late morning air reaching his vehicle, quickly sliding in and drives to the crowded freeway entrance where people and ambulances were milling around. Rushing out of his car, he dashes over to see two crashed cars as thick suffocating smoke engulfs the area.

He spots a familiar face and heads over to her looking over at the man holding her.

Makenzie gulps, looking at the officer and back at A.J. who raises his eyebrows and smiles. “Quite a morning huh?”

“Yeah…is everyone ok?” Howie asks, looking around. “No one seems hurt which is good.”

“We’re good…” A.J. asks, narrowing his eyes at the officer. He wasn’t planning on answering questions at the moment and he already had an idea who could be the one responsible for this incident. Deciding to stay quiet, Howie goes off to check out the vehicles asking the other officers around about the incident.

A.J. looks over to see Nick and Damien hiding out away from the smoke and people, wave him over so they can leave the place already before they get raided with tons of questions. Leading Makenzie away from the mess, he heads back to over to his friends trying to stay hidden away and clear from the nosy police.
~*~

She watches in fascination as the colorful swirling top spins sporadically on the kitchen floor. Giggling, Eliez catches it in her hands stopping the toy, hearing the soft humming of a Bon Jovi ballad play out of the radio on a shelf.

She turns to look over at her mother mixing a batter of cake mix smiling at her.

“You’re gonna like this cake pumpkin, its strawberry your favorite.” Jasmine states, taking the wooden spoon out of the bowl, tapping the spoon on the inside of the bowl to take out some of the cake mix.

“Mmmm…mommy.” Eliez smiles, sitting sprawled out as she spins the top again watching it brush against her legs.

Jasmine smiles: pouring the batter into a metal foil pan quickly placing it in the oven. She hurriedly glances up at the time and rushes over to the washing machine under the kitchen counter to place another pile of dirty clothes in it. Whistling, she pulls a dirty stained white blanket from a bin opening it up to see something written in what seemed like dirt. Frowning, she scrolls over the words gulping.

“Eli sweetie did you do this? Did you write this?!” Jasmine tries to keep herself under control as Eliez innocently looks up at her.

“Yes mommy. I have special game and play game there too.” Eliez beams proudly unaware of her mother’s negative reaction.

“You don’t write these things! Who told you to write that on this?! Was it your father? Is he trying to make you mean that you would listen to him?” Jasmine raises her voice, feeling a faint dizzy spell about to take over.

“Mommy it’s my game. I no mean to be mean. It’s a game mommy. Just a game. You play too. You always play.” Eliez whispers out, watching her mother clutch the blue Formica kitchen counter. She watches Jasmine stumble back to see her eyes roll to the back of her head as she passes out from all the pressure. Eliez blinks and walks over to her mother lying passed out on the floor.

Frowning, Eliez touches her mother’s cheek and screams out for her father, tears filling her eyes as she sits down on her knees touching her mother’s cheek.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**