- Text Size +
Chapter Two

Nick continued to stare, shocked at what had just happened. The forced had been enough to slow the car down, causing the hearts of both men to pound so fiercely that it hurt their chests. Nick couldn’t speak, almost afraid to get out of the car as traffic behind him started to back up, pedestrians stopping to stare at the scene. Nick wondered what had happened, but whatever it was obviously was not good.

“This is why you don’t listen to the radio when you are driving.” Brian told him.

“Everything would have been fine if you hadn’t been fighting with me over it.” Nick cried out, “God, I wonder how much damage is done...my car...m...my baby!” Nick looked as if he were going to cry at the thought of his precious sports car being at all damaged.


Brian rolled his eyes, already taking out his cell phone to call and let whomever know that he and Nick would either be late for the meeting, or not make it at all. Depending on what had been hit determined a lot on how long they would be there. He assumed some nosey pedestrian or other driver had already called for the police. That’s how it always worked. The actual person in the accident usually wasn’t the one to call.

“We should um...should get out and see what uh, what exactly happened?” Brian stated, it coming off more as a question than a statement.

Nick nodded, finding it hard to breath. His hands were shaking so badly that he could hardly function, unable to grasp the door handle on the first try, but eventually he was able to grab on, pulling the handle and pushing the door open. As he stood, his legs were wobbly, almost unable to support the terrified Nick. He looked over the top of the car at Brian, who had turned considerably pale. Their eyes locked, terror in each pair as they rounded to the front of the car at the same time. They looked down to the pavement in the front of the car and that’s when Nick saw what had happened, his entire body growing cold as he felt as if he were going to be sick.

“Oh Lord,” Brian croaked, looking down at the body of a middle aged male. There was hardly any blood, but the man was motionless, “Oh...”

Brian spun around, unable to look any longer. Nick’s eyes were frozen in to place though, his entire body gone paralyzed with fear. He didn’t remember breathing or anything as he just stared, wondering what had happened, trying to grasp it all. He was snapped out of his thoughts though when he heard a retching sound, turning to see Brian a few feet behind him, hunched over, vomiting. His best friend always had had a weak stomach in situations like this.

Then Nick heard the sirens. They were faint at first, but grew louder and louder with each long second that passed. It was all too surreal. Nick couldn’t believe that this was happening, and as the ambulance and police car pulled up, Nick felt as if he’d gone through this before. Where had he experienced this very thing before...

Suddenly, a small smile formed on Nick’s lips and he let out a small laugh at first, his heart beat returning to normal, “It’s okay, Rok..I’m being punk’d again.” he said aloud.

“Huh?” Brian stood up slightly, his natural color still drained, but at least he wasn’t throwing up anymore.

“I’m being punk’d again.” Nick told him simply, ignoring the fact that a police officer was walking up to him, the EMT’s crouched on the ground taking the man’s vitals.

Nick smiled at the officer, convinced that this was all a prank being pulled on him again. It had to be, for just two years ago, Ashton had done this same exact thing to him. He was doing it again, seeing if Nick would fall for it. The half black officer approached as Nick continued to grin, appearing to be an idiot to anybody watching from nearby.

“Are you one of Ashton’s men?” Nick asked, extending a hand to shake, “Good job, dude...I gotta hand it to you. Ya had me fooled for a moment.”

The officer looked to Brian with one eyebrow cocked up, “What is he talking about?”

Brian shrugged, wondering what was going on. Was Nick being punk’d, or was it real? He didn’t know anymore. Nick’s laughter was scaring him though, making the blonde look psychotic. But something similar had happened to the poor boy, and he’d actually almost cried from fear. Now, it was happening again, and Nick was over that fear, pretty sure that Ashton Kutcher had thought that he could fool Nick again.

“I’m Officer Leizak,” he shook Brian’s hand Nick stood at his side, looking down at the victim being loaded on to a Gurney, still smiling, “May I ask what happened?”

Brian did his best to explain what had happened in as little words as possible, still stunned. The man was still completely motionless. If it was all a prank, the man was definitely a good actor.

“When is Ashton going to come out?” Nick asked almost excitedly, looking around in confusion as if he couldn’t believe that this prank was going on this long.

Officer Liezak looked at Nick wearily, wondering if he should handcuff the boy before saying, “I’m going to have to take you to the station...Brian...we just need to ask you a few questions, but I’m afraid that your friend here, is going to have to stay overnight at least.”

Brian nodded, understanding as the officer opened up the passenger side door for him to get in, and then gently took Nick’s arm, leading him to the backseat, shoving the willing boy inside. As Officer Liezak got in, and pulled away from the scene, Nick was still mumbling in the backseat about how far Ashton was taking this, the prank better than the first.