- Text Size +
Nicola felt tremors of anger seep into her muscles as she hurriedly ran from Darcy. The woman had completely unfurled Nicola’s exterior mask of professionalism. Nicola thought it might be hopeless, until she stepped into the exercise room. She felt relief crash against her body when Howie immediately greeted her with a smile. He sat in his wheelchair, gazing at her with curiousness. He seemed as if he had been pondering something before Nicola burst into the room. Nicola gathered her wits, believing that Howie had actually accepted his fate but was still grieving the loss of his mobility. Nicola wanted to immediately break the bereavement stage before he became much worse.

“I’m glad you came,” Howie greeted as Pollyanna excused herself quietly from the room. The door shut behind her, allowing Howie and Nicola complete privacy. Howie offered another smile, sensing that Nicola was still jittery. He wanted to say something to comfort her, but found his mind wandering as he admired Nicola’s beauty.

“Same here. How are you feeling?” Nicola asked, shaking off her previous encounters with Darcy. She immediately dumped her bag onto the floor, knowing that she must get right to the point. She pulled out a clipboard from the bag and seated herself on the floor directly in front of Howie. She clicked her pen, preparing to take notes about Howie’s condition.

“I’m really stiff. Sometimes there are sharp pains shooting down my back. The pain medication never helps the sudden bolts of pain. My arms ache every time I try to move them, but most of all, I’m really stiff,” Howie admitted quietly, swallowing his pride.

“You’re stiff because you’re not moving,” Nicola commented, furiously scribbling the symptoms on the report sheet.

“There’s a reason I’m not moving,” Howie retorted with a sour glare.

Nicola rolled her eyes, setting her clipboard down. She decided to effectively argue Howie’s bitter comment. She quickly rose to her knees to make direct eye contact with Howie. Her arms rested on the armrests of Howie’s wheelchair. “I wish you would realize that having a disability doesn’t make you invalid. There are many people worse off than you and achieving great dreams with their broken bodies. You can do great things, but you just have to do them in a different way. That’s why I’m here, so I can teach you that life isn’t over just because you have to use a wheelchair.”

“You sound like a T.V. Sitcom,” Howie finally answered, giving a teasing smile.

Nicola smiled back with relief, knowing she had broken away Howie’s outer shell. “I know I do. I should ask about getting paid for these extra encouragement boosters. So, are you ready to get started?”

“Get started with what?”

“I’m going to make you move your muscles with some passive range of motion exercises. Then I’m going to have you build up your upper body strength. After your upper body is toned you’ll be able to do a lot more things, like getting yourself in and out of the wheelchair and wheeling yourself around the house. But, that’s just for starters,” Nicola announced with a confident smile. “There’s a lot more that we’ll be doing to get you mobile, but I thought I’d just wet your appetite first.”

“Wow,” Howie murmured, watching Nicola peel off her sweatshirt to reveal a lavender tank top. Her tan shoulders glistened as the sun poured in from the ceiling windows and outlined every sleek and toned muscle in her body. Her strawberry-blonde curls fell past her shoulders in a silky fountain when she pulled them into a ponytail. Howie found himself tingling with delight when Nicola physically pulled him from his wheelchair. She carefully helped him to the floor, smiling when she wedged a small pillow underneath his head for comfort. “You’re seriously strong.”

“I’ve been doing this type of work for awhile,” Nicola laughed, seating herself at his feet. Carefully, she picked up Howie’s left leg. He said nothing as she began to bend his leg in various positions, stretching his muscles and increasing the circulation. Nicola noticed the smile on Howie’s face, causing her to smile back, but she quickly noted the smile was not directed at her. She glanced up to see Darcy peering into the window of the oak door with jealousy. Nicola smirked, glancing back at Howie. “Howie? What is one thing you hate about being paralyzed?”

“Besides not walking?” Howie questioned.

“Obviously.”

Howie grew quiet for a moment, but his eyes lit with an eager flame. He glanced up to make sure he had Nicola’s full attention, and he did. “I hate that everyone has to do everything for me. I feel like I’ve morphed back into a child again. I can’t even dress myself! I just wish I could do those things for myself, you know?”

“Yes, I do know that it must be frustrating not being able to do things on your own. Now, what if I told you I could make that happen?” Nicola asked, gently laying his left leg down. Her fiery smile caused tingles to race down Howie’s spine in excitement. He took a deep breath as she gently eased his right leg into her hands.

“Are you serious?” Howie choked.

“Extremely serious,” Nicola declared. She began the same exercises again on the right leg. “Many people in wheelchairs live by themselves and function normally. Some don’t need assistance because everything is built to accustom their specific needs. Some can even drive, too. However, some of them do occasionally do need help, but so does everyone else. I can teach you how, but we need to get your muscles strength back.”

“You would do that for me?” Howie asked in awe. He was choked by Nicola’s enthusiasm over his healing. He couldn’t believe that a woman would work that hard for him and he had been so cruel. Nicola didn’t owe him this kind of attention. She could have quit the project and no one would have blamed her. Instead, Nicola decided to work harder to make him feel better. He could never ask Darcy for that type of commitment.

“It’s my job and I’d be happy to help. So, will you work with me?”

“Of course!” Howie praised as Nicola set his right leg down. Carefully, she assisted Howie back into his wheelchair. She placed his numb feet against the holsters and then handed him two small barbells, instructing him to work on his upper body. “Can I ask you some questions now?”

“I guess,” Nicola murmured.

“How old are you?”

“Twenty-two.”

“Single?”

“Very, although that’s not really appropriate.”

“You’re pretty, why are you so very single?” Howie asked, gazing at her curiously. He had never been one to pry into stranger’s affairs, but Nicola was extremely different. There was something about her that seemed to melt his inner being. She wedged herself down into his very core without even knowing the consequences. She was a fresh experience that allowed a new light to wash over his fading body. He liked that and didn’t want the feeling to leave him, too.

“I don’t date,” Nicola answered stiffly.

“Why?”

“Because I’m busy and I’ve been burned before. I guess I just don’t want to be hurt anymore,” Nicola mumbled, sitting down on the bench press with a heavy sigh. Her heart ached from the past memories that screamed inside her damaged heart. The memories coiled around her brain and squeezed, buts he forced them back into the darkness of her soul. She could not wallow in her pain any long. If she wanted to hurt, she would be left behind.

“Hurt? Who hurt–”

“Howie, can I ask you a question?” Nicola interrupted, unable to handle the intimate details of her affairs. Howie nodded slowly with approval. Nicola smiled meekly, searching for something to ask. Her mind wandered aimlessly without success. Before Nicola could rethink her wording, she blurted: “Can you tell me about the accident?”

“My accident?” Howie choked, dropping the barbells onto the floor. Nicola jumped with surprise at the loud clattering. Howie’s skin went terrible pale as traces of sweat slowly ran down his face. Nicola groaned inwardly, realizing her mistake immediately. Howie’s warm eyes turned dark with hatred and denial. His hands clenched into tight fists of pain. He wasn’t ready to talk about it yet and she had pried too deep.

“Howie, wait, I’m sorry–”

“No, Nicola, don’t,” Howie snapped, shaking from the terrible memories flooding his system. Tears of envy and devastation gathered in his tired eyes. He closed his eyes to block the memories, holding a hand to his throbbing forehead. “I think our session is over. I did really well today. We’ll meet again on Monday.”

“Howie—”

“Please, leave!” Howie shouted, his voice breaking from the deadly emotions. Nicola jumped to her feet from the threat in his voice. She hurriedly gathered her things and ran out the room, leaving Howie to weep alone.

*~*~*

“I AM SO UTTERLY STUPID! After all those years of training I still manage to blow it completely! Can I be any more retarded?” Nicola growled with disapproval as she hurried down the hallway of the Dorough household. She couldn’t understand why she let her own pain cloud her judgment. Howie’s painful sobs echoed against the back of her mind. She groaned, sagging against a nearby wall. She found herself wanting to scream in frustration.

“Is something wrong?” a familiar voice pondered.

Nicola immediately straightened and pushed herself off the wall. She was looking directly into Pollyanna’s worried eyes. Nicola blushed with embarrassment. She pulled the bag further up on her shoulder, straightening her posture. “Nothing is wrong–”

“Are you sure? Darcy just went flying out of the house. Usually, that means something is wrong with Howie. She never stays to find out what’s happening, because it’s not her area. She never cares what happens to him as long as her reputation is strong amongst the media.”

Nicola’s shoulders sagged forward with grief, causing the bag to crash to the floor. “I ask Howie about the accident. He wasn’t ready to talk about it and I couldn’t stop myself from asking. He’s just slowly starting to deal with reality and then I shoved it into his face like an infected carcass. I’m a complete idiot!”

“Nicola, it’s okay. Everyone makes mistakes. Mom and Dad will understand there was a small setback, they’re used to this happening. Howie just needs someone strong to stand up to him. Our mom thinks that you’re the one to take on that task. Just give him time, okay? He’s been out of it since the boys left him.”

“You act like I’m trying to start a romantic relationship with him,” Nicola joked, laughing uneasily.

‘That’s not a bad idea,’ Pollyanna thought with a smile. However, instead of repeating her thoughts, she simply shrugged her shoulders. “We know that your work is good for him. He’s a great guy, just don’t get upset when he falls back into the gutters,” Pollyanna explained softly.

“Okay,” Nicola laughed.

“Are you scheduled for Monday?”

“Yes.”

“Good, we can’t wait to see you again. You definitely brighten up the place.”