- Text Size +
Chapter 45 – Working Against Time

“So, where have you been? Nicola, we haven’t seen you in weeks! We almost thought of calling for a search party! What’s wrong?” Marie fired softly as she embraced her daughter and granddaughter at the threshold of her house. She hadn’t even given the proper time for any sort of familiar greetings, because it just seemed so trivial in the light of recent events. The worry for her eldest daughter sparked against her weary jade eyes as she leaned upon the frame of the doorway for support. It only took a few short moments to realize that something was wrong, though she had known for weeks. Nicola only truly shied away from her family during a personal crisis and Nicola had disappeared for almost an entire month this time.

“Momma—”

“Don’t even,” Marie interrupted with a strong sigh, pulling Lucy into her arms. She didn’t want to get into the messy conversation with Lucy present; she was far too young for such delicate matters. So, instead of dwelling on the sadness, she offered several loud kisses to make Lucy squeal. She had missed Lucy and Nicola terribly, but knew in some part of her subconscious that Nicola had a good reason. “Uncle Danny’s watching TV, go take over and drive him nuts.”

“O’tay!” Lucy eagerly chirped, rushing to attack like a well trained solider.

“Have you eaten?” Marie asked, gazing at her eldest when she heard Danny squeal with protest.

“Momma—”

“Have you?”

“No,” Nicola sighed, realizing the conversation would go nowhere unless she consented to food.

“Then we can talk,” Marie finally approved, hurrying Nicola into the kitchen. She sat her daughter down at the kitchen table, and then bustled over to the fridge. She pulled out all the contents used to start Nicola’s favorite sandwich. She busied herself with the task, but still fired her curious questions on her ghostly daughter. “So, Nicola Ann…Why did you disappear on us like that? What’s the problem? Is something wrong with you? Or is something wrong with Howie?”

“Oh, God, no!” Nicola groaned, placing her face into her hands. She actually wished it had been something simple like a fight with Howie, but her life could never hover with complications. Nicola was honestly dreading this conversation with her mother, thinking that the matter was much worse than anyone could have anticipated. She hated asking for help. “Momma, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with Howie. He’s great… Actually, he’s fantastic! He’s on crutches and working twice as hard in the physical therapy program. I’ve never seen someone advance so quickly before. He’s just so determined to get back to his regular life and it’s really paying off. He’ll be walking by himself in no time at all.”

“And your relationship with him?”

“I love him so much, Momma,” Nicola breathed, smiling at just the mere mention of her romantic life. She hadn’t felt so complete since her late husband. Howie was one of those rare jewels in life sent down by God Himself. “I couldn’t have asked for a better man in my life. He’s one of the sweetest guys in the world and so caring. He actually lets Lucy call him Daddy. He treats her as if she were his own and that’s what Lucy needs most in this life – a father. Then those times that we’re actually alone, he treats me like I’m the only person in the entire universe. I just feel so complete and fulfilled in his arms, Momma.”

“Then if it’s not Howie or your relationship, what’s the matter?”

“Momma, I—”

“Tell me—”

“Momma, it’s really hard—”

“Nicola!”

“I was fired, okay!” Nicola finally snapped, immediately turning her gaze to the top of the fading kitchen table. Guilt nipped at her bitter heart, scolding her for such a blatant disregard for God’s precious commandments. She had never been so outspoken with her mother, but times were changing so fast. It just seemed so unfair in her dimming eyes.

“Excuse me? You got what?”

“Momma…” Nicola sniffled, finally gazing upward. She didn’t want to confess wholly to the disaster. No one needed to know all the details, because it would only cause more agony. Besides, her mother would be so disappointed. “I lost my job. And there’s no way for me to get a better job in Orlando. Dr. Jacobs’ clinic is the only office in this town for Physical Therapy. And I lost it because of foolish circumstances. I’m sorry I didn’t come by early, but I was so ashamed. I tried looking for other jobs, but nothing seems to fall into place. No one is hiring in my line of work. But don’t worry about money, I managed to pay my bills with the money I was saving. But that can only go so far, Momma. And I’m so close to loosing my house. Lucy was almost born in that house. How could I possibly say goodbye to it? The only way that I can manage is if I move out of this town… And I can’t let Howie help me. I’m not going to let him put out his own hard-earned money for a woman who can’t even manage to hold a job. It’s not fair to him.”

“Oh, Nicola,” Marie breathed in disbelief, dropping the loaf of bread to the floor in shock. The facts seemed so surreal. Her daughter had always been praised for her efforts in the community. She placed every morsel of her heart into every assignment. Her home was even filled with dozens of awards for her good deeds. How could she be punished for her gallant behavior?

“What am I going to do, Momma? What can I possibly do?”

*~*~*


“So, where’d you kick Nicola to this time, D?” AJ teased openly, slapping another coat of fresh paint onto the clinic’s bare walls. Bits of baby blue paint splattered back against his faded clothing, though it didn’t seem to make much difference. He was already soaked in paint from the diligent efforts on the clinic. Each splattered color held its own tale upon AJ’s dingy clothing, because they had been working for weeks beneath a cloaked veil of secrecy. And still Nicola was none the wiser, seemingly adding a true brilliance to Howie’s ultimate plan.

“She’s with her family today,” Howie replied with a cool tone, keeping his mind geared to painting the opposite wall as he balanced his body on the crutches. Everything was coming along so nicely; Howie couldn’t have planned a better outcome. All the furniture had been ordered and detailed to precise measures. The group just needed to finish painting the waiting room, and then the place could be properly furnished. With everything folding into such a neat little package, Howie planned to unveil the creation by Friday. “Her mom’s been inviting her to dinner for weeks. She finally accepted today.”

“Why’d it take so long?” Nick asked curiously, his back faced to the group. He tilted his head to the side, moving his hands in strange positions, causing Raegan to snort with laughter. Yet, Nick seemed completely oblivious as he continued to size his canvas. Howie had given him the opportunity to create a mural for Nicola’s clinic, since Nicola seemed so fond of Nick’s artwork. Wanting to convey hope, Nick sketched magnificent unicorns amongst a beautiful lagoon. These beautiful and powerful creatures offered a chance of new beginnings as they pranced around the crystal lagoon. Nick was so proud of his creation and continued to hope Nicola would approve.

“She’s chicken!” Hollie announced suddenly from her perch on the ladder. Howie and AJ instantly glanced up in surprise, almost forgetting that Hollie was present upon the highest portion of the clinic’s walls. She was taking her time crafting the wavy white boarder to finish the soft blue walls. She allowed her strokes to feather out into sensual flourish; seemingly content knowing Kevin’s gaze was fixed upon her with growing interest.

“What?” Kevin murmured, finally pulling his gaze from Hollie’s petite form. He blinked several times before running his hands across his tired face. Hollie was too enchanting for words and he found himself completely agonized by her beauty. The worst portion of the attraction was Hollie’s understanding of their odd relationship. Knowing she had the power over the entire situation, she continued to tease him. As many times as he tried to make an approach, she would just offer a simple smile, never continuing whatever advance he tried. Kevin found the agitation growing with each passing minute as his gaze fixed upon her sweet form. He was never a patient man when it came to attraction and he needed her in the worst way.

“Yeah…” Brian chuckled, quickly noting Kevin’s love-struck gaze. He decided to speak up from his painting with Raegan, carefully nudging his girlfriend in the ribs to keep her from taunting his cousin. Brian just found it completely pitiful that Kevin was falling so hard for a woman. He had never seen his older cousin in such a heavy daze and just wanted to save him from the pure embarrassment. “Why is she a chicken?”

“I don’t know if I’ll enjoy this conversation,” Howie interjected with a frown.

“It’s a matter of fact,” Hollie continued, dipping her brush back into the paint. She quickly slapped it back upon the boarder, offering long strokes of delight to Kevin’s gaze. “One thing to learn about Nicola is that she’s fiercely independent. Not that it’s a bad thing. Just… you have to understand that she had to be independent because of her life. But, since she had to rely on herself for so long, she becomes skittish at the mere thought of someone helping her. She hates asking for help, even from her own mother. I swear she’d be the chick to drown on the Titanic because she wouldn’t have asked Leo if she could use the door for a flotation device.”

“So, she really is chicken?” Raegan laughed.

“You got it!”

“You make no sense,” Nick decided, offering careful touches of gray and white for a proud mane.

“Just like it makes no sense that you have dark roots but are oh-so-typically bleach blonde?” Hollie teased with a wry smile, leaning back as the ladder start to wobble.

“You still—”

“Watch out!” Kevin suddenly interrupted, dropping his brush to the covered floor. The group gasped in surprise at Kevin’s sudden outburst, watching him bolt to Hollie’s rescue with a fevered pace. They really didn’t know what to think as the ladder finally tipped. Kevin’s heart leapt into his throat as Hollie pitched backward with a terrifying scream. On first instincts, Kevin dove forward, swiftly catching Hollie against his chest for safety. Everyone fell deathly silent as Kevin held Hollie tight and the ladder clattered loudly to the floor. An uneasy thickness settled in the air until the bucket of white paint rained down on the couple with a sharp crash.

“God don’t like ugly!” Hollie snorted after a few moments, reaching to wipe the gooey paint from her face.

“But you’re the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen,” Kevin retorted in confusion, slightly euphoric with her sweet body nestled tightly against him. It was like Heaven in his mind. After so many passionate dreams, Hollie was finally within his grasp. Her warm lips were just inches from his own. The fantasy playing in his mind was so beautiful that he never seemed to notice the thick paint dripping through his raven locks.

“That’s not what I meant exactly…” Hollie trailed softly, the realization of the entire situation focusing in her brain. Her eyes locked against the brilliant emerald tones of his handsome eyes and she immediately licked her dry lips. Her heart started to pound with anticipation as her eyes fell down to the soft curves of Kevin’s lips. All the games she initiated didn’t even seem to matter. It was as if her entire life and everything surrounding it counted on this very moment in time.

“Then what did you mean?”

“Kiss me,” Hollie breathed with a slight demanding tone, eagerly sweeping her hands into his sticky locks. Hungrily, she boosted herself as she pulled him down, closing the barrier between them. She forced their lips together with little resistance, causing a flood of erotic heat to flush every nerve in their bodies. It was as if the world stopped turning only for them.

“Let’s go out,” Kevin finally murmured against her lips, their eyelids fluttering together as they blinked away the stars from Heaven descending upon them.

“When?” Hollie whispered meekly, pressing her forehead to his own with delight.

“Now. Right now. This very moment.”

Kevin didn’t even have to wait for her answer, because the sparks between them seemed to answer. So, the group watched Kevin step from the slippery puddle of paint. He stumbled just once, but appeared to think he was walking on air, leaving white footprints in his wake. He continued to concentrate on Hollie’s kisses to his tender neck as they disappeared into a fantasy-ridden sunset.
An awed silence of the tender romance settled into the air until Nick snorted, “Think he’ll ever realize they’re covered in paint?”

“Only when he sees his white butt-print on those new leather seats,” Raegan trailed without much thought. The boys immediately exchanged glances once Raegan’s thought was finished. They grimaced with a silent understanding, realizing how true Raegan’s prediction was. With coordinated grace, they all reached to turn off their cell phones. That was one call no one was willing to take.