- Text Size +
Author's Note - I am so sorry for such a delay in my writing. As some of you know, I was blocked from getting into my account with a password mix up. But, I'm back and have a ton of stuff. So, please, enjoy. And again, I'm so sorry!

Chapter 47 – Determined Destiny

“More wine!” Hollie declared, purposely slurring her speech with an amused giggle. Howie arched his dark brows in question, watching Hollie slide from Kevin’s lap to grasp the cooling Asti bottle from a bucket of ice. She playfully wobbled around the room, topping everyone’s wine glasses. Though, she assured that Nicola had the most of the crisp liquid.

“Are you trying to raise my blood alcohol level to that of an Irish man on Saint Patty’s day?” Nicola scorned with a laugh, setting her wine glass to the side. She had never been too wild about alcohol, merely sipping upon it occasionally while in social situations. Besides, Nicola was determined to keep a clear mind to hold some level of sanity while life shifted. It just seemed that everything had been swept away in a whirlwind without her consent, not that she disagreed. She was thankful for the opportunities Howie had given her; she just wished she had room to breathe. Now, she was packing for the conference in Miami when Hollie and Kevin stopped for a surprise visit with bottle of celebratory wine. She had first declined, but Howie insisted, making it hard for her to refuse. So, she languidly sipped upon the bubbling liquid while packing for her flight due to depart in two hours.

“Honestly?” Hollie paused with a mischievous grin, one that Nicola was all too accustomed to.

“I would hope so!”

“Okay, yes, I’m trying to increase the load of alcohol in your system. Not because I’m hoping to get you laid or anything before you leave—”

“Hollie!”

“But because I know how tense you are about flying! You’ve never flown before so of course you’re going to be quite antsy! So, dumping liquor into the system makes an easy trip! It’s only because of my love and adoration for you!” Hollie expressed with a squeal while Nicola looked completely dumbfounded.

“Basically, enough alcohol to make you not care about crashing into a fiery inferno. You’ll be singing show-tunes with the Captain while dumping into that fiery ocean!” Kevin tried to joke, only his joke held a sour affect as Nicola paled dramatically at the mere image. She could vividly picture herself seated upon the massive craft with the airbags falling in front of her face. Wild alarms and screeches sounded as the airplane tore in half, sending her body propelling into the open air with a vacuum of energy. Her hands clamped tightly to the soft tank top clamped in her hands, remembering far too many disaster movies with planes. She pressed her glossed lips into a tight, thin line of worry.

“Uh…can I just start driving?” she meekly questioned.

“You’re going to be fine!” Howie promised, shooting a sharp glare to Kevin. Howie couldn’t believe that the man they considered the wisest of the group would be so haphazard about a serious conflict in Nicola’s life. The woman had never flown on an airline before and was already quite paranoid about leaving Howie and Lucy alone in Orlando. Howie felt like he had stepped through deadly flames of the thickest burning buildings to assure Nicola’s confidence. They were far too close to have it ruined by a simply foolish remark. Knowing he had to stomp the doubt, Howie quickly boosted himself from the armchair, crutching to stand beside Nicola.

“But—”

“Sweetheart, you really do blow at jokes,” Hollie commented as Howie silenced Nicola’s fears with a sweet kiss. Seeing her friend was occupied, Hollie slipped back into Kevin’s lap with a devilish smile. She seemed to bring out the most playful spark in Kevin’s usually serious mannerisms. Brian and Nick delighted in the fact that Hollie held such a strong hold on his life, causing much amusement amongst the group. Knowing as much, Hollie played with the buttons on his shirt, causing ripples of excitement to heat between them. She couldn’t wait to get him back to her home again.

“I’m funny,” Kevin protested with a pout, contrasting his usually stern appearance.

“No, Sweetheart. You’re not funny. I think you were born without a funny bone… See, you’re serious, but I love you for that,” Hollie explained as if she were teaching a young child.

“You do?”

“Oh yes,” Hollie praised, immediately warming his face with a stirring kiss.

“Mmm, okay! Nicola, don’t worry about the fiery inferno… Just worry about Lucy being watched by five guys,” Kevin murmured beneath Hollie’s kisses, not really paying attention to the words flowing from his kissed lips.

“Where’s my Lucy?” Nicola immediately yelped, another rush of emotions flooding her body. She couldn’t imagine leaving Lucy in the care of Nick and Brian, but the boys were so close. Howie would most definitely ask the men to help. What was to prevent Nick and Brian from shaping her daughter’s impressionable mind? Dozens of images flew through her brain of burping contests, farting contests, the ground littered with empty pizza boxes and other unknown substances, and her daughter standing in the middle giggling like a maniac. Lucy would be formed into a serial killer before Nicola could return.

“Kevin!” Hollie groaned, watching Nicola’s emerald eyes spark with worry.

“What?” Kevin called innocently, pointing to his lips.

“Where’s Lucy?” Nicola repeated, watching the couple stir with another round of passionate kisses.

“She’s playing with her new Barbie’s in her room,” Howie assured, placing a warm hand on his girlfriend’s shoulder. He watched Nicola jerk in surprise from his gentle hand, obviously startled from her terrifying imagination. Howie smiled softly at the lines of worry creasing Nicola’s beautiful face. He found Nicola’s tense state quite endearing, because she was always in such a firm state of control. She had never allowed letting the trivial moments to eat away at her strong exterior, so Howie never had an opportunity to comfort her. Yet, now, she eagerly ran to his arms for comfort, giving Howie the chance to feel useful. “You’ve got to calm down, Nic.”

“I know,” Nicola sighed, immediately turning into Howie’s embrace. He naturally allowed the crutches to fall to the floor so he could properly bring his arms around her waist, pulling her close. Nicola offered a nervous smile, slipping her arms around his neck to stabilize them both. “Everything is happening so fast, Howie. I mean, I’m really happy for what you’re doing for me to help make my dreams a reality… It’s just I don’t want to leave Lucy for an entire weekend, I’m nervous about promoting my own business, I don’t know if people are even going to be interested in seeing me as a physical therapist, I hate flying, and I don’t know what to wear at this convention!”

“Okay, okay, okay… One at a time, Sweetheart,” Howie laughed with a smile.

“One at a time when a million are buzzing in my head… Okay… One… Are you going to be okay with Lucy? It was sweet of you to offer to take her for the weekend. She really loves your house and all, but my mother could have taken her. She loves her aunt and uncle and absolutely loves spending time with them. You didn’t have to immediately take her in. I didn’t expect that from you… I just don’t want you to stress yourself out. You’re doing so well with your rehab and to take Lucy… She’s so—”

“Exactly like you?” Howie interjected with a charming smile, causing Nicola to laugh softly. “Sweetheart, she’s my baby girl. And we’re going to be just fine together. We’re going to sleep in late, watching afternoon cartoons, share some peanut butter and jelly, and then kick back at night with a Disney movie. Plus, Polly’s going to stop by to double check, but we’ll be fine. We’re just going to miss you too much.”

“I’ll miss you guys, too,” Nicola agreed.

“Now, we’ll face those other problems as the time comes. But I know for a fact that everyone’s going to be running to you for physical therapy. I mean, hello, Sweetheart, you got me walking again!”

“Howie—”

“And about what you want to wear…” Howie clicked his tongue, changing the subject before she could disagree with his words. Howie believed whole-heartedly that she was the reason he was so close to walking again. He refused to let her believe otherwise. So, he leaned to rest his chin on her delicate shoulder. He started to whisper seductively to send shivers down her spine, “Frankly, I’m quite partial to your light sweater tank tops that offer a hint of elegancy paired with those short black skirts that compliment those gorgeous long legs of yours. Those very gorgeous legs that I love to wrap around me during the night…”

“Then I’ll wear just that… Thank you,” she breathed with a delighted shiver, pulling him in for a deep kiss. “But we’ve got to kick them out for an hour…because you’ve got to make the pre-mile-high club!”

*~*~*


“Okay! Give Mommy lots of hugs and kissies! I’m going to be gone for three whole days. And I’m going to miss you like crazy, Lucy-Lu. I don’t know how I’m ever going to get on that plane without you,” Nicola explained with a soft sigh, bending down to scoop her small daughter into her arms. She delivered several sweet kisses to her daughter’s rosy cheeks, causing a burst of giggles. Nicola laughed softly in exchange, running her fingers through Lucy’s flaxen locks. Nicola’s flight was due to leave in a few minutes and she was having trouble saying goodbye. The idea of leaving Howie and Lucy was heartbreaking. It had been so long since she actually was apart for them for more than a day or two. She tried to offer an encouraging smile since everyone had come to wish her well, but leaving was the hardest.

“Daddy and I will be good!” Lucy chirped with an encouraging smile, offering a fierce hug to her mother. She pecked her cheeks several times before running to cling to her father’s leg. She understood that it was a temporary situation and loved spending time with Howie. The two had developed a strong bond within their short time together, which made Howie’s relationship with Nicola was the more promising.

“Aren’t you going to miss me?” Nicola pouted.

“Bunches!” Lucy enthused, finally running to cling to her mother.

“Same here,” Nicola sighed, holding her daughter close. She carefully rose to a standing position, shifting so she could finish her goodbyes.

“Be careful, girl,” Jamila was the first to say.

“But have fun!” Raegan contradicted.

“Overstuff on the complimentary peanuts!” Nick advised.

“Good luck,” Brian encouraged.

“You’ll knock’em dead!” AJ enthused.

“And the plane ride will be fine,” Kevin laughed.

“I’ll take care of Howie and Lucy, Cola-Pop. You just enjoy the hotel and convention. You’re going to dominate… And I’m so proud that you’re living your dreams,” Hollie whispered, kissing Nicola’s cheek. The entire group seemed to make it short and sweet for Howie’s benefit. They knew he would have the longest goodbye. “Have a ton of fun.”

“Only half a ton because you’re not there,” Nicola laughed as her plane was called to be boarded. She sighed, carefully handing Lucy to Hollie so she could properly say goodbye to Howie. She wasted no time wrapping her arms lovingly around Howie’s neck, keeping her body close to his. She curled her index finger around a lock of his silky, dark hair. She had almost thought about buying a second ticket and insisting he come along, but she knew better. He needed to keep working on his physical therapy and she needed to complete this task on her own. Howie had started the process, but she needed to finish it. “I’m going to miss you, Baby.”

“Like crazy,” Howie agreed with a bittersweet smile, tracing his fingers down her soft cheek. He locked his dark eyes upon every feature of her being, not wanting to forget. A small nervous ball formed within his stomach, but he pushed it aside. He would just miss her far too much, even if it was a simple weekend. “But have fun, just not too much fun… And no other guys!”

“No one could replace you,” Nicola promised, leaning to offer a powerful kiss before slipping away. “I love you!”

“I love you, too,” Howie whispered with a sad smile, watching her hurry down the length of the corridor to her plane. A few others followed before the doors snapped shut, proving she was gone. Howie released a bitter sigh, longing to just run after her for one final kiss. He wanted to sweep her into his arms and process his need to marry her, but knew that surprise would wait till she returned.