- Text Size +
5



Reuniting the family




Now I had a stomachache to match the oncoming headache I was getting. Served me right for gulping down the pizza as fast as I did. What can you do? I was hungry. Howie and Brian both turned to look at me when I uncharacteristically let out a burp while rubbing at my belly.



“Sorry.” They both chuckled.



“I don’t think I have eaten that fast in a long time, I was starving.” I nodded at D as he grabbed his phone and walked towards the bathroom.



It still felt so weird being back with these guys; it was almost like we had never left. How quickly our routines went right back to normal, Howie was on the phone in the bathroom plugging in his curling iron as he readied himself to take a shower. Brian was sitting on the floor; legs crossed hooking up the video game system to get a few quick games in before a certain blonde boy came and hogged it up. And me? Well I found myself sitting on the couch with my naked feet up on the coffee table, just soaking everything in.



“How’s Baylee doing Bri?” He looked over at me and the glow I saw in his eyes almost made me want to cry. I was so happy for him and a little jealous. Kris and I wanted a child desperately. I wanted to be as ecstatic as Brian at the mere mention of my child’s name.



“Getting bigger everyday. I’m not sure how I’m going to handle this Kevin.” He made his way over to me and sat beside me.



“What do you mean?”



“I mean being apart from them, its killing me already and it hasn’t even been an entire day yet.”



“It won’t be for long Brian; once things get rolling she’ll be coming down and joining you right?”



“Yes, but that still doesn’t make it any easier.”



“I’m sure.”



“What about Kristin? How is she doing?”



“Great, actually she has another gig in New York, seems like now she keeps getting more and more calls for walk on parts.”



“That’s where you were right? New York?” I nodded at him.



“Are you guys still trying to get pregnant?”



Once again I nodded at him, “We need for Baylee to have a playmate.”



“I agree.”



Howie walked out of the bathroom for a moment, phone still stuck to his ear, “Do you guys need to get in here because once I’m in; I’m in for the long haul.”



Part of me, the part that’s growing older by the day wanted to try to pee or something before he got into the shower because true to his word Howie never made it out of the bathroom in under an hour. But the lazy, full and tired version of me decided to take my chances, “I’m good.”



“Same here, happy showering, don’t take that thing in there with you Howie we don’t want you to electrocute yourself.



“What? My cell phone won’t electrocute me.”



“You never know, it could short circuit.”



Howie shook his head at my cousin as he made his way back into the bathroom closing the door.



“When are those other two knuckleheads going to get here?” I shrugged at Brian as he once again made his way over to the TV. He seemed restless and anxious like a little kid waiting for his friends to come out and play.



“Are you looking forward to seeing Nick and AJ again?”



“I just saw AJ about two weeks ago or something like that.”



“So that means no then?”



Brian laughed, “I’m looking forward to seeing them both.”



“Yeah, me too.” I admitted as I picked up the magazine that was lying on the floor.



“I just hope they get here soon, because otherwise I’m liable to be in bed. I swear I am on my son’s hours now…speaking of which,” He stood up in one movement; I could never understand how he was able to do that. Go from sitting Indian style to standing just by using his ankles to get himself up. I swear my cousin was a monkey. “I’m going to go call and sing him to sleep. It’s just a thing we do, and I promised him I would.”



“Go and tell him his uncle Kevin loves him very much.”



Brian smiled at that and then left the room, leaving me all alone with the magazine that someone had bought. I groaned when I saw that it was the National Enquirer and of course on the front cover was a picture of a drunken Nick. I didn’t open it up just rolled it into a tube and flung it in the trash.



~*~*~*~*~*




“This has been the longest day EVER!” I looked over at AJ and nodded my head, I felt bad for the poor guy. Driving forever and then getting stuck in traffic. Of course I was feeling even sorrier for me because my head was pounding. Eating the McDonald’s even though it seemed like a great idea at the time, only made me more nauseous and I was trying everything in my power not to hurl in the already puke colored car.



I hated feeling like this; I’m not sure why I always put myself in the position to feel like this. You would think I would’ve learned my lesson by now, but nope. I’m an idiot.



“You okay Nicky?”



I looked over at AJ whose eyes locked with mine, “Yeah fine why?”



“You just look off; you have ever since I saw you at the airport.”



“I told you I didn’t get much sleep and now I’ve got a really awful headache.”



“Eating didn’t help? It helped mine.”



“No, I actually think eating made it worse.”



“Well don’t worry we are almost there okay buddy. Why don’t you close your eyes and get some sleep.”



“Do you think it’s going to be weird?” He shrugged at me.



“I doubt it, why do you?”



“I don’t know…I can’t wait to get back in the studio you know? But it’ll be different that’s all.”



“Sometimes different is good Nick.”



I nodded, he was right. I wanted to explain further but I didn’t feel like going down that road, the one that ended with me explaining how much I have changed and not necessarily for the best. I knew they were all thinking that too, even though I haven’t seen them since our last meeting in Chicago.



I know since I left them, I got a little out of hand with my drinking and partying but it dawned on me back then that I was just a kid. I had turned 21, and now suddenly had freedom to do what I wanted. No nagging Kevins’ or disappointed Brians’ to stand in my way.



The freedom was liberating at first, I loved every minute of it, until it got to the point that I started drinking just to escape everything else going on in my life, my family mostly.



“Nick…”



“Yup?”



“So tell me what the deal is with Tommy’s place again?”



“There is no deal; he is letting me stay at his place while we are in LA.”



“But I thought we had all decided to stay together.”



“I don’t remember that.”



“Of course you don’t, Kevin was saying it and I remember you zoned out.”



“You can remember me zoning out? How do you know when I do that?”



“Lord Nick, it’s not like a mystery, you all but drool when you go into your other world.” I had to laugh at that because he was right. One time during a meeting with our management, Brian and AJ thought it would be the funniest thing in the world to tape me when I started zoning out so as this serious meeting was happening and my mind started to wander, Brian whips out this camcorder and starts taping me. We got in SO much trouble when that meeting was over. Kevin was fuming!



Ironically, it was me he yelled at though. That always happened, Brian could be holding the evidence and Kevin would still look at me and yell!



“I wonder if that will change.”



“What?”



“Oh sorry, I was thinking out loud.”



“I’m impressed you were thinking period.”



“Shut up, you’re such a dink…I was wondering if Kevin was going to yell at me for every little thing that happens again. Remember how he liked to blame me for all that went wrong in the world?”



“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” AJ said with a huge smirk on his face.



“Yeah I’m so sure.” I rolled my eyes at him and he laughed, “And if you knew I was zoning out than why did you even bother asking me a question?”



“Eh? It gave me something to do.” I cracked up; Bone always had a way of making me laugh about the stupidest things. He was great for stuff like that. Even when we were kids, I could be in the worst mood known to man and it would be AJ who could make me feel better by cracking an inappropriate joke or coming out with a gay knock knock joke.



“I missed you AJ.”



He reached over and grabbed my shoulder, “I missed you too little buddy.”



I smiled and closed my eyes, trying to keep my Quarter pounder with cheese, fries, chicken nuggets and hot fudge sundae in my stomach.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“Are you sure you don’t need me to come home?” I was biting my bottom lip, as my wife held our crying child in her arms.



“It’s not a big deal Brian; it’s just a tummy ache.”



“But you said he has a fever.”



“Nothing a little children’s Tylenol can’t handle. Relax babe, everything is under control.”



“I know… I just hate being away when he’s sick…that’s all.” I wanted to continue but decided not to. The truth was when I heard my son start crying about how much he missed me; I all but lost it on this end.



There’s really nothing worse than feeling that you are letting down your child, and to hear his hurt little voice begging me to come home was enough to make me want to book the first flight out of here, forget about reunions and go do what I did best which was be a dad.



“Honey, I better go before he gets sick again okay?” I knew it was coming but I didn’t want to hear it.



“Okay, tell him I love him? And I love you too.”



“I love you more.” I smiled as she hung up the phone.



I was a mess, my eyes were puffy from crying and I wished I had a bathroom to go into to wash my face off so I wouldn’t look like the world’s biggest wuss when I encountered my cousin again. I wiped my eyes with the tissues that were in my room and pasted on a smile as I joined Kevin who looked tired and grumpy. His arms crossed and his feet stretched out in front of him as he watched TV. When he saw me enter the room he looked up and smiled at me.



“So how’s the family?”



“Baylee is sick, he was throwing up before so Leigh had to go.”



“I’m sorry to hear that.”



“So am I. He begged me to come home, it was horrible.”



“You used to do that to your mom and dad all the time Brian.” I sat beside him and placed my legs up on the table next to his. I was always so small next to my cousin. Even now, my legs barely reached the table while his extended half way to the middle.



“I did?”



“Yes, when they would go on their no kids’ vacations and you and your brother would stay with us, you would always beg them to come home all the time. You always had my mother in tears.”



“Oops, tell her I’m sorry about that next time you talk to her.”



“I think it’s just what kids do Bri. I’m sorry I know it must suck though.”



“It does and is Howie ever coming out of that bathroom?”



“Has it been an hour yet?” That made me look at my watch and yes it had been almost an hour. My mind went automatically to AJ and Nick who were still on the road.



“Those two are going to be cranky by the time they get here.” I said showing my cousin my watch as proof.



“Great, I’m looking forward to that.” Kevin said, sarcasm dripping from every word.



“Maybe I should call AJ’s cell,” I pulled out my phone and punched in the number AJ had called me from earlier. I didn’t have his number programmed into my cell phone but I actually only had family in there.



“AJ’s van service how may I help you?”



“Are you still on the road Bone?”



“Of course we are, in fact we love driving around so much we think we might just turn around and go back to the airport and try this all over again.”



I laughed when I heard Nick whisper, “Who is that?”



“Brian.”



“Oh Hey Brian!” He yelled so I could hear him.



“Tell him I said hello.” I replied.



“Brian says go to hell Nick.” AJ said instead.



“AJ!” I yelled into the phone which had Kevin look up at me and sigh. “How much longer until you guys get here?”



“You miss us that much? Are the other two that boring?”



I would have loved to give my cousin a gentle diss right then but of course since he was sitting right by me I couldn’t. “We just are worried about you guys.”



“I actually see the hotel right now, and I’m driving towards it like a beacon in the night.”



“Excellent, they see the hotel.” I said to my cousin who smiled at me in return.



“Tell them to hurry so I can go to bed.” Kevin said through a yawn.



“He said…”



“I heard him, you can tell the old man he doesn’t have to wait up for us.”



“Right, like I’m going to tell him that, see ya in a little bit. Tell Nicky I aim to beat him at a video game or ten.”



“I think in the state he’s in you’ll have no trouble doing just that.” I wanted to press because I didn’t like hearing that, but instead I let him go.



“Be safe and see you soon!” I said as I hung up the phone and anticipated our little reunion.



~*~*~*~*~*~






I clicked off the phone and placed it next to me, “They miss us Nick.”



When I didn’t get an immediate answer I looked over to find him rubbing at his temples. He really did look like utter crap, I know I keep saying that but it was the truth. “You hanging in there buddy?”



“God AJ, since when have you been so concerned about my well being?” That was asked very snappishly but I refused to play into his horrible mood. He was right though, I never really ever got myself on the ‘show Nick love and sympathy’ bandwagon like the rest of my band mates used to.



“I have always cared about you.”



“Riiight, well sorry, I didn’t mean to snap, are we there yet?” He asked right as we made the turn into the parking garage. Normally I would have done the whole valet, bell boy thing but I was not about to park this thing in front of the Hilton. No way!



“We are here right now sir.”



“Praise the lord!” He let out a sigh and held his stomach as he did.



“You aren’t going to yarf on me or anything are you?”



“What the hell is a yarf?”



“You know what I mean, throw up.”



“Don’t you mean barf?”



“Nope I mean yarf, if I wanted to say barf I would have said barf, I like yarf.”



“You’re odd.” He said climbing out of the van and grabbing for his bag.



Once again he swayed and I swear to God I thought he was going to pass out on me. I even made the monumental mistake of gasping. He glared at me, and I mean full on glared. “Would you relax! I’m just ill.”



“Okay sorry, let’s get you upstairs then.” He nodded and after grabbing my gazillion bags we ventured out of the van from hell and into the hotel.





~*~*~*~*~*~






I love the bathroom, it seems like such an odd statement but I really do. Maybe it’s from growing up the youngest in a large family that only had one bathroom to its name, but whenever I got into that room I always felt like I had won some silent victory. I could spend hours in the bathroom because it’s the one place no one will bother you.

I know that was probably the only thing that annoyed the guys when I was concerned. My hogging of the bathroom, but hey if that was the worst habit I had; I was in pretty good shape.



That made me wonder how long I was actually in the bathroom to begin with. Judging by the gradual defogging of the windows and the dryness of the floor, I was easily over the one hour mark. Long even for me, but part of me felt so much more comfortable in here than out there.



Don’t get me wrong, the guys didn’t make me feel bad in the least but for whatever reason, I felt more at ease in this rather large bathroom than I did out there. ‘All good things must come to an end I guess.’ I thought to myself as I finally opened the door, releasing steam as I did.



“Well thank GOD, I thought I was going to pee my pants.” Brian said running toward the room as soon as he heard the door click open.



“I told you to go before I showered and don’t turn off my hot iron.”



“Yes sir.” He said before bolting into the bathroom and closing the door.



I walked out into the living room, surprised to see that AJ and Nicky hadn’t gotten in yet. I thought for sure I would have found them sitting and laughing at my wet head. It was then that a knock on the door was heard.



“It’s us open the door!” Kevin jumped from his seat and ran over to the door, “It’s about freaking time!” He growled under his breath. A new wave of feelings took over for me knowing that we would all finally be together again. It went from nerves to exhilaration as I saw AJ hug Kevin at the door.



My happiness was abruptly halted when Nick pushed AJ almost knocking him into Kevin and headed to the bathroom. “What the hell?” I heard Kevin say as Nicky brushed by me. He was holding his hand on his mouth.



Stupidly I followed him, “Nicky, Brian is in the bathroom.” AJ and Kevin were now directly behind me as Nick looked at me and then puked…all over me and my clean self.



“Holy shit!” Kevin whispered, his eyes wide as Nick keeled over and finished his business all over the carpet.



“Wow D, better you than me.” AJ said wincing at the smell.



As for me? I just stood there perplexed and disgusted, my arms held away from my newly adorned shirt trying my hardest not to gag and join my young friend as he redecorated our very expensive carpet.



Brian was a bit surprised to open the bathroom door and see Nick keeled over on all fours vomiting at his feet almost. Then he looked over at me and my shirt and back at AJ and Kevin who were both staring at Nick. I’m sure it was one of those Kodak moments everyone talks about.



After Nick was finally done, Kevin managed to make his way over to him and help him up to his feet.



“Hey! The gangs all here!” Brian said wearing the cheesiest grin I had ever seen. And I couldn’t help it, even though I stunk and was about ready to vomit myself, I still managed to laugh as did AJ and finally Brian. Kevin and Nick? Not so much.


Happy Birthday Kevin!! lol and thanks for reading and reviewing! I'll be back on Monday with another chapter :O)