- Text Size +
Chapter 10




Every man is afraid of something; that’s when you know he loves you; when he’s afraid of losing you.




The doctor let Kevin see Anna for a little while. So, AJ got a wheelchair and took Kevin to her room. When they came into her room, all eyes were on them. AJ wheeled Kevin over to the side of her bed.


Brian came over and said, “ Anna, this is your brother…”


“ Kevin.” She said looking into his eyes.


“ Oh my god. You remember me. I can’t believe it.” Said Kevin.


“ Holy shit.” Said AJ.


“ Anna, I’m so sorry that I’m putting you through this. I didn’t mean it.” Said Kevin.


“ What do you mean?” she asked.


“ I was driving during the accident. It was my fault.” He said.


“ What accident?”


“ You don’t remember? Well, we left Howie’s house after the argument. When we went through an intersection a tractor trailer hit your side of the car. We rolled to the bottom of an embankment. The last thing you said to me was ‘ I love you.’ Then, you blacked out.” Said Kevin.


“ What argument?”


“ Ummm. You and AJ had a really bad argument. You both said some terrible stuff about each other. AJ took off and I talked to you about it. AJ considered your friendship over.” Said Kevin.


“ Oh. Okay.” Said Anna.


“ What do you remember?” asked Nick.


“ umm, Nick, right?”


“ Yeah.”


“ I remember touring and dancing.”


“ Yeah, we just got finished with our tour last week.” Said Howie.


“ I think I remember dating some guy. I can’t remember his name. He had blonde hair and brown eyes.”


“ Jason?” asked Brian.


“ Yeah. I remember a really big argument with Kevin and I.”


“ Yeah. That’s right.” Said Kevin.


“ I remember a funeral. I think it was a man’s.”


“ Yeah. That was our father. He died of colon cancer.” Kevin said.


“ I remember a car accident. I think mom died.”


“ That’s right also.” Said Brian.


“ I remember shopping with AJ. I think the dress was a dark blue.”


“ Yeah. That was the 2000 MTV music awards. You went as my date, because I didn’t have one. That was fun.” Said AJ smiling.


“ AJ, we must have been close. Everything that I remember now, you were involved somehow. The funerals, the fights, the shows, everything.” She said looking towards AJ.


“ That’s true too. You guys have been best friends ever since the group started out.” Said Howie.


“What group?” she asked.


“ The Backstreet Boys?”


“ Ohh yeah. I forgot. I’m sorry. It looked like I scared you guys” she grinned sheepishly.


“ It’s okay. We’re just trying to see if you remember anything.” Said Brian.


“ Do you remember anything from the accident?” asked Kevin.


“ No. The last thing I remember is going clubbing. AJ, me and Kevin went.” She said.


“ That was the night before the accident.” Said Kevin more to himself than to the rest of them.


“ You don’t remember what happened by the pool yesterday?” asked Nick.


“ No. I don’t remember a pool.”


“ I have an inground pool at my house. We were swimming yesterday.” Said Howie.


“ What happened by the pool?” asked AJ.


“ Nothing.” Nick said quickly.


“ Nick. You have to tell her.” Said Kevin in a warning tone.


“ Fine. You got out of the pool and went up to your room at Howie’s house. I followed you up and we talked for a little while. I said I wanted to show you something, and I…” said Nick.


“ What did you say?” asked AJ getting more anxious by the minute.


“ This is why I didn’t want to tell you guys. I knew he would get mad.” Whined Nick.


“ Just tell us and get it over with.” Said Kevin.


“I told you that I had fallen in love with you and I kissed you.” Said Nick.


AJ flew off the handle. He yelled, “ You bastard.” Before anyone knew what was happening AJ had Nick pinned against the floor. Howie rushed to get AJ off of Nick while Brian helped Nick up. They were separated to opposite ends of the room.


“ What the hell is your problem?” asked Nick.


“ You did this to her. You provoked her. It’s all your fault.” Yelled AJ.


“ You were the one who caused the argument. If you hadn’t barged in on us, who knows what would have happened.” Yelled Nick.


“ Oh, yeah? What do you think would have happened? She certainly wouldn’t have slept with you.” Yelled AJ.


“ She might have. You never know.”


“ She wouldn’t have ever done that.”


“ How do you know.”


“ Because I know her better than I know her myself.”


“ Maybe she changed.”


“ She knew to stay away from you.”


“ What makes you say that?”


“ I told her several times. I knew you had fallen in love with her.”


Nick got angry and stormed AJ. He pinned him against the wall and said, “ what did you say to her?”


“I told her that I didn’t want her to get sucked into your world. I told her you were no good. I told her that you were a drunk and a player.” AJ said as he looked Nick square in the eye.


“ How dare you.” Nick said as he started punching AJ. He didn’t stop until Brian and Howie pulled him back as AJ sank to the floor in severe pain.


“ AJ, are you all right?” asked Howie as he kneeled down next to him.


“ I… I don’t know.” he said.


Nick said, “ Hey, Aje. I learned from the best.”