- Text Size +
Chapter 11: This is Where I Belong




Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.






Howie took AJ to see the doctor. They weren’t sure if Nick had broken anything or not. They thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. Brian had Nick sitting up against the wall.


Brian said, “ Kev, what do I do with them? How do I make them stop fighting?”


“ I don’t know. We can’t keep them in separate rooms. I mean part of me wants to let them fight, but when it gets that physical someone has to step in.” Kevin said while glaring at Nick.


“ Hey, it wasn’t my fault. He started it.” Said Nick putting his hands up to defend himself.


“ Bullshit, Nick. You were the one that hauled off and hit him. He didn’t even hit you back. If we didn’t have two of us in the hospital and one more possibly in the hospital I would beat your ass right now for what you pulled. It wasn’t right nick. We don’t need this. AJ especially doesn’t need this. He’s in enough pain already. How would you feel if the person you love can’t remember who you are, but she remembers everyone else?” yelled Brian.


“ Brian…” hissed Kevin.


“ What? What’d I say?” he asked.


“ Something you weren’t suppose to. Now get out. Both of you, now!” said Kevin.


They both left reluctantly leaving brother and sister alone together for the first time after the accident.


“ I feel so bad that I can’t remember AJ.” Said Anna.


“ Alex. You always called him Alex.” Corrected Kevin.


“ Sorry. I didn’t know.” She paused and said, “ it must be hard for him to here me call him AJ, huh.”


“ Yeah. You want to know the last thing you said to him?”


“ What?”


“ You said, ‘ Leave, AJ, and never come back.’”


“ Ouch.”


“ Yeah, he took it pretty hard. Apparently he came running in the hospital to see you in time.”


“ What do you mean? In time for what?” she asked.


“ The doctor’s told us that you might not make it through the night.”


“ Oh. We had a big fight before the accident, right?”


“ Yeah. Apparently Nick kissed you, and he saw you guys making out. He freaked out and left. I guess you got him to talk to you before he left. I don’t know what was said or anything. You’ll have to ask him about it.”


“ He seems like a nice guy.” She said changing the subject.


“ Oh, he’s a great guy. He’s just had some problems along the way, that’s all.”


“ What kind of problems?”


“ He was into drugs and alcohol a couple years back. He was a player there for a period, too.”


“ So that’s what Nick meant before.”


“ Yeah. Nick and AJ have been fighting more and more these days.” He said.


“ Why?”


He shrugged his shoulders and said, “ I think it’s because AJ cares for him. He doesn’t want Nick to get caught in the same stuff that he got caught up in. Nick almost died, you know.”


“ How?”


“ He was drunk and he took some pain pills for his ‘headache.’”


“ Oh. How long ago was that?”


“ Two weeks ago.”


“Shit, that soon?”


“ Yeah. You were so pissed off at him. You gave him no sympathy. You told him he deserved it.”


“ I was that hard on him?”


“ Yeah, but you always were. It’s funny.”


“ What’s funny?” she asked.


“ The fact that you and AJ are so much alike. When you guys fight, it’s a really big fight. Most of the time, the fight started because of something really stupid. I remember you and AJ fought for days all because he took your French fries.”


“Jeez. Were we that stupid?”


“ No, but it kept the fun around forever. With you two, there was never a dull moment.”


“ What’s makes you think that it’ll change?”


“ I just know, Ann. You’re not the same as before. Hell, nobody is the same as they were yesterday.”


“ I can’t really help that Kevin. If I can’t remember anything then how can you expect me to be the same as yesterday.”


“ I know, and I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. It’s just that one mistake changed our lives forever. You’ll never be the same. Our relationship will never be the same.”


“ Why won’t our relationship be the same?”


“ Because every time I look at you, I blame myself for what happened. I put you here.”


“ Kevin don’t say that. It was the other driver’s fault. Not yours. Because of you, I’m not alone in all this. I never was alone. Because of all you guys, I don’t have to face my memories alone. That means a lot to me.” She said getting tears in her eyes.


Kevin got up, hugged her and said, “ I will never leave you, and I can guarantee that there are four people outside that are willing to risk their lives to help you. I love you Anna.”


“ I love you too, Kevin.” Smiled and thought to herself: Now, I know this is were I belong. With my family.